• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Bad, and The ST Unit

I think you’ll have to wait until next year to decide whether you want to cut Williams for Pierce because maybe you do if Pierce starts to outperform him but if not then I think we’d keep Willliams or maybe just maybe both depending on other contracts decided by then and the renegotiated CBA
The renegotiated CBA is exactly why have Id no problem with us giving Mosely a big contract.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's slightly better in the run game(although PFF grades over the last 3 years suggest it's pretty even). This isnt damon harrison we're talking about here.

The thing is though we have seen the defense become awful at handling the run without him, but yet suddenly the problem vanishes with him in the lineup.

I kbow the PFF grade but judging a DL on there run stuffing is hard because there is more than just making rhe tackle when it comes to stopping the run and honestly trench play has always been the weakness of PFF.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
2017 averages.......... 82 yds. per game, 2.5 per carry with BWill. 170 yds.per game, 4.3 per carry without.
Looking at those numbers it’s hard not to see how important he has been to the run D.
If he is just as good in the run game, why wasn't he when Williams was hurt?

The fact is Williams is much better in the run game but Pierce is overall better.
Henry and Pierce played too much snaps and we had basically no rotation at all. It also helps if Weedle had made the tackle against the Bears.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's slightly better in the run game(although PFF grades over the last 3 years suggest it's pretty even). This isnt damon harrison we're talking about here.
If he was better than the yard per run against us wouldn't double when Bwill goes out and he's in.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think you’ll have to wait until next year to decide whether you want to cut Williams for Pierce because maybe you do if Pierce starts to outperform him but if not then I think we’d keep Willliams or maybe just maybe both depending on other contracts decided by then and the renegotiated CBA
the renegotiated CBA is going to be a big part of it

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Rewatching the game with an eye on Tim Williams and tyus bowser. I’m now seeing the double teams on Tim, looks like coaches have been watching film, because these double teams are consistent, and when he’s not double teamed he is influencing the play fairly often. He frequently has the tackle on his heels and playing catch up as his speed rush is getting him the corner. Still would like to see him work inside more, but they did a good job not allowing the huge gaps like cinci did.

He is playing excellent, and that’s not an overstatement, in the run game, he is reading the run very quickly and doing well to react, he’s shedding well and choosing the right gap to play every time, he knows when he’s got an inside man and he takes contain, and he knows when he’s gotta crash inside. He’s disengaging very aggressively, and he’s making good tackles and really just playing with high intensity. He’s been shockingly good as a run defender and I see a 2012 McPhee-like surge from him coming late this year when Suggs and judon are burning out.

Bowser on the other hand is disappointing me, he doesn’t look nearly as explosive and athletic as he looked in college, and his hands are just not good, last year he showed good hands on a good few plays, he often showed good use of leverage and using those long arms to maintain space, but now he’s letting guys get in close, he’s just flailing instead of using his hands and length in any quality way, and he seems to just be trying to make a mess rather than make a play. I haven’t rewatched the full game and I’ll get around to it, but so far I’m not liking what I see from bowser and that’s highly disappointing

rossihunter2

Staff Member
He is playing excellent, and that’s not an overstatement, in the run game, he is reading the run very quickly and doing well to react, he’s shedding well and choosing the right gap to play every time, he knows when he’s got an inside man and he takes contain, and he knows when he’s gotta crash inside. He’s disengaging very aggressively, and he’s making good tackles and really just playing with high intensity. He’s been shockingly good as a run defender and I see a 2012 McPhee-like surge from him coming late this year when Suggs and judon are burning out.

bizarrely i think he's probably been the best Edge run defender of the 5 OLBs this year

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
bizarrely i think he's probably been the best Edge run defender of the 5 OLBs this year
Suggs has been a fucking animal defending the run this year, I can’t give it to Tim over him, not by a long shot, but he’s far and away the #2. This is gonna get him on the field more and the end result will be more sack numbers. I said during his draft year that his run defense was very underrated and the knocks were way overstated, but I absolutely did not expect him to develop into the caliber of run defender he did, and for him to become a quality run defender BEFORE he became a productive pass rusher is even more shocking. And the best part is we still know he can rush the passer, so we may not be looking at just the speed rusher we expected, but maybe a full time 3 down starter. That’s exciting as hell

O

OriolesMagicPlease

Lmao! He's just playing hard to get. I like a challenge.