• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Bad, and The ST Unit

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm calling PFF out on kenny youngs grading so far.
RANK NAME TEAM # DEFENSE RUN DEF COVERAGE PASS RUSH TOTAL SNAPS RUN DEF SNAPS COV SNAPS PASS RUSH SNAPS STATUS

38 Kenny Young BLT 40 Grade: 62.7

Basically in the Yellow zone.
It’s like they haven’t watched him. Crazy

Tank

Hall of Famer
I guess it's just me, but I thought he looked solid when he did decide to field the ball. He still needs to work on it, but I never felt like he was a ticking time bomb back there like with Grant.

Yeah, in two games I was already getting the "David Reed shakes" watching Grant field punts and run. Not sure how White will work out and he did let one bounce that he should have fielded, but he looked more comfortable and natural to me as well.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah, in two games I was already getting the "David Reed shakes" watching Grant field punts and run. Not sure how White will work out and he did let one bounce that he should have fielded, but he looked more comfortable and natural to me as well.
He let one bounce? Yeah ok...more like he let 10 bounce that he shouldn’t have. Unless it’s like inside the 10 you should always field it.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I agree, I felt Grant was going to lose us a game sooner rather than later. That being said, White isn't the answer either, because he let too many punts bounce. He's JAG until he proves otherwise.

He let one bounce? Yeah ok...more like he let 10 bounce that he shouldn’t have. Unless it’s like inside the 10 you should always field it.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i will give him this proviso - marquette king did not punt well - he normally has an absolute cannon of a leg but was consistently dropping them short so tim white rather than rushing up to field the ball on a few occasions waved everyone away so that there was no danger of a turnover which isnt inadvisable

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i will give him this proviso - marquette king did not punt well - he normally has an absolute cannon of a leg but was consistently dropping them short so tim white rather than rushing up to field the ball on a few occasions waved everyone away so that there was no danger of a turnover which isnt inadvisable
ok, that's an interesting take. He does have a cannon of a leg and I mentioned that to a friend of mine as well. Obviously the weather had a lot to do with his punting. Not everyone is Koch.

Lets see what White does in Pittsburgh

rossihunter2

Staff Member
ok, that's an interesting take. He does have a cannon of a leg and I mentioned that to a friend of mine as well. Obviously the weather had a lot to do with his punting. Not everyone is Koch.

Lets see what White does in Pittsburgh

we gave janarion grant the benefit of the doubt for a weird game in weird conditions so im happy to give tim white the same benefit of the doubt

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Exactly given the conditions it was better not to rush up to field the pun

Tank

Hall of Famer
I agree, I felt Grant was going to lose us a game sooner rather than later. That being said, White isn't the answer either, because he let too many punts bounce. He's JAG until he proves otherwise.
I only saw one where it seemed he should have fielded it rather than letting it bounce and it really was inconsequential as little yardage of field position was lost. And I'm not sure how one could say "he is not the answer" after 1 game.

This, I was at the game and almost every single one of his punts was fucking ugly.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I only saw one where it seemed he should have fielded it rather than letting it bounce and it really was inconsequential as little yardage of field position was lost. And I'm not sure how one could say "he is not the answer" after 1 game.
it's just an opinion and maybe that's a bit harsh. I'm going to see how this plays out.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
So let’s talk:

Broncos came to play and started hot with momentum putting this team immediately behind the proverbial 8 ball. We fought back under these circumstances against to beat Chubb AND Miller with soft Stan, horrible Hurst, another year older Yanda, and strengthless Skura and of course lowly Lewis. I will say this: I still stand firm that Lewis is the weak link on that OL and needs to be benched until he stacks good practices. If we have that policy then it should be for everyone because Lewis has underwhelmed and speaking of Stanley, it’s obvious he’s hurt so I guess there’s that regarding him being injured or soft. Glad to see he’s hurt rather than soft but man this guy gets nicked up a lot. Yanda looks better so he’s obviously getting his legs under him and doesn’t have to go against Atkins so there’s that. Skura I think has quietly looked good and I feel he’s getting a lot of a bit unfair hate.

The biggest takeaway? We’re guranteed to go at worst 2-2 for the first quarter of the season, and maybe even 3-1 if we can catch the Steelers on their heels on a short week at home after traveling to TB and hopefully losing without hopefully Bell that could be a nice start to the season. This could be our chance to win the division and I understand it’s early but we would’ve plyed half our divisional games by week 5 so it’s kinds important.

I also loved what I saw from a few defensive guys like Tim Williams who constantly drew double teams, Urban, and Young. Brandon Carr was just OK, and man did Judon play kind of sloppy. That guy is like Jernigan lite in that he’s talented but just playing sloppy. I feel like he’s trying to do too much and it’s causing him to play bad. He said he wanted to post crazy numbers and I think it’s getting to his head now that he isn’t and he’s trying to do more to get his stats but it’s hurting the team. Hopefully he gets over it soon

Tank

Hall of Famer
While it was a nice win the Broncos kinda beat themselves as well. There will need to be improvement(which I think there will be) to hang with the big boys. For me the O line is still a huge concern.

More good: Bengals, Jaguars, and Patriots lost, now if the Steelers drop one tomorrow that would be a great thing for us.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Note from ken mckusick’s defensive breakdown and another example of how wink is so much more creative than pees:

“On the last 3 plays of the first half, the Ravens played a quarter defense (7 DBs). In fact, this was an unusual quarter with 4 OLBs (Bowser, Judon, Smith, and Suggs) and 7 DBs (Weddle, Jefferson, Humphrey, Carr, Tavon Young, with Levine and Clark lined up where ILBs would normally be). Martindale continues to surprise with creativity to get his best pass rushers on the field. These 3 plays included 2 incomplete passes and a sack for 0.”

rossihunter2

Staff Member
more from mckusick:

"Onwuasor and McClellan were together for 5 plays/66 yards (13.2 YPP), but the other combinations [of ILB] averaged just 4.3 YPP on 55 plays."

i think that's gonna be a case of 'thanks i hate it' and we'll never see those 2 on the field together again outside of special teams