• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Bad, and The ST Unit

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
so i noticed on the snap counts that Zach Sieler apparently had 11 snaps of defence - did anyone notice any of them

interesting to note that he didnt play on Special teams at all which would be a big indicator of why he wasnt active in week 1 and 2
I didn't notice him at all. I wanted to keep an eye out for him, but I guess I missed him.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
so i noticed on the snap counts that Zach Sieler apparently had 11 snaps of defence - did anyone notice any of them

interesting to note that he didnt play on Special teams at all which would be a big indicator of why he wasnt active in week 1 and 2
DLs only play on the FG block unit and these are only the interior positions. Before the kickoff rule change we played some DLs like Pierce on KR teams. The less frequent use of (interior) Dl's on defense and on S. T makes it difficult to activate too many DLS on the 46 game day roster

rossihunter2

Staff Member
DLs only play on the FG block unit and these are only the interior positions. Before the kickoff rule change we played some DLs like Pierce on KR teams. The less frequent use of (interior) Dl's on defense and on S. T makes it difficult to activate too many DLS on the 46 game day roster

that's what i wondered but i just remembered historically seeing guys like Brent Urban and even guys like Haloti Ngata on special teams

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
FWIW, I was watching the game with one of my friends who's a Broncos fan. Now he's a pretty knowledgeable fan, but he didn't know that much about us. Throughout the game, he was telling me how impressed he was with our pass coverage. Nice to see fans of other teams give credit where credit is due.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
FWIW, I was watching the game with one of my friends who's a Broncos fan. Now he's a pretty knowledgeable fan, but he didn't know that much about us. Throughout the game, he was telling me how impressed he was with our pass coverage. Nice to see fans of other teams give credit where credit is due.
Besides Carr smh, who’s just serviceable. Just wait until Jimmy. That pass defense...oh baby

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
It's pretty hard to judge a team's coverage by the broadcast though

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
It's pretty hard to judge a team's coverage by the broadcast though
It is, but I think it was more about the fact that Sanders and Thomas weren't making big plays down the field or Keenum held the ball longer than expected despite the pass rush not hitting home.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Fwiw, Michael Pierce is 3rd in pass rush productivity among NFL DTs behind only Donald and Cox, with 25%.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
we need to keep him. Brandon Williams was a waste of time. Pierce is actually what we wanted brandon williams to be.

Except when BWill went down our run D was awful and the worst in football. An elite secondary means nothing if they never have to throw it to score.

Except when BWill went down our run D was awful and the worst in football. An elite secondary means nothing if they never have to throw it to score.

Definitely need B.W.

Good thing is Pierce is a RFA so he's likely going to stick around. Im more worried about Brent Urban, he's been really nice and I think it's going to be tough to keep him if his market is bigger then we anticipate.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
we need to keep him. Brandon Williams was a waste of time. Pierce is actually what we wanted brandon williams to be.
In an ideal world we cut Brandon Williams after the 2019 season and resign Pierce because I don't see Bwill as an important piece as most of you.
Yes our run defense was terrible when Bwill missed some games, but our run defense in general wasn't great or even good. That season we lost Guy to FA and traded Jernigan to the Eagles. Both were key parts of our run defense in 2016. Urban also went down early in the season.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Definitely need B.W.

Good thing is Pierce is a RFA so he's likely going to stick around. Im more worried about Brent Urban, he's been really nice and I think it's going to be tough to keep him if his market is bigger then we anticipate.
If and when Urban leaves, I'm confident that Sieler and Wormley will fill in just fine. Oh and also Ricard.

Tank

Hall of Famer
In an ideal world we cut Brandon Williams after the 2019 season and resign Pierce because I don't see Bwill as an important piece as most of you.
Yes our run defense was terrible when Bwill missed some games, but our run defense in general wasn't great or even good. That season we lost Guy to FA and traded Jernigan to the Eagles. Both were key parts of our run defense in 2016. Urban also went down early in the season.
2017 averages.......... 82 yds. per game, 2.5 per carry with BWill. 170 yds.per game, 4.3 per carry without.
Looking at those numbers it’s hard not to see how important he has been to the run D.

Last edited:

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I think you’ll have to wait until next year to decide whether you want to cut Williams for Pierce because maybe you do if Pierce starts to outperform him but if not then I think we’d keep Willliams or maybe just maybe both depending on other contracts decided by then and the renegotiated CBA

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Pierce is 4 years younger, a much better pass rusher and just as good in the run game. It's a no brainer.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Pierce is 4 years younger, a much better pass rusher and just as good in the run game. It's a no brainer.

If he is just as good in the run game, why wasn't he when Williams was hurt?

The fact is Williams is much better in the run game but Pierce is overall better.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
If he is just as good in the run game, why wasn't he when Williams was hurt?

The fact is Williams is much better in the run game but Pierce is overall better.

He's slightly better in the run game(although PFF grades over the last 3 years suggest it's pretty even). This isnt damon harrison we're talking about here.