• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next up @Cleveland

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
We need Judon and Tyus to step up big time. They've been massive disappointments to start the year.
I don't expect much from Bowser, he's not really good edge defender. Judging by how much playing time he gets, seems like coaches don't expect much from him either.

Just another 2nd rounder performing well below expectations.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m more worried about Tim long term because hamstrings are notoriously slow healing injuries. I’m just hoping we’re keeping him out because of how we match up this game and not because he’s seriously hurt.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I’m more worried about Tim long term because hamstrings are notoriously slow healing injuries. I’m just hoping we’re keeping him out because of how we match up this game and not because he’s seriously hurt.
This also depends on the severity of the hamstring and I just think we are keeping him out as a precaution. I wonder when he had the hamstring injury, because he most likely had it when he got the last sack.

Judon has let me down. Never really expected much from bower though
He's on pace for 20 defensive penalties which will just get you benched. Not only has he been a complete disappointment as a rusher, he has had a negative impact in terms of penalties. He's really got to step him game up. He started slow last season but picked up the pace so hopefully he does the same this year.

Judon has let me down. Never really expected much from bower though
Boswer is a 2nd round pick so I kind of expected more from him. He flashed last season but so far he's shown close to nothing and he's getting blown up by LT and pancaked. Just not a good look. He just doesn't win at the point of attack

I don't expect much from Bowser, he's not really good edge defender. Judging by how much playing time he gets, seems like coaches don't expect much from him either.

Just another 2nd rounder performing well below expectations.
These 2nd busts are going to add up. I'm not going to add Bowser to that group yet but he's on that path. Good thing Maxx has stepped up and looks to contribute going forward on this team but if he continues this it's hard to imagine him staying and that's a problem because we haven't had many draft picks in the 2nd round that has sticked around for long.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Bowser was never an edge setter. I still maintain my stance that we should be running a 4-3 defense where he's a starter as a strong side linebacker. That's what he's good at. Kenny is a good WILL already, and well CJ could effectively play any LB position and be an all pro. Leave edge duties to Suggs, Za'Darius, Williams, and Judon. They're all good players and can hold the fort.

Bowser's problem isn't that he sucks, we aren't playing the guy to his strengths. "But Kenny is the coverage LB". The SAM also has extensive coverage responsibilities too...

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Boswer is a 2nd round pick so I kind of expected more from him. He flashed last season but so far he's shown close to nothing and he's getting blown up by LT and pancaked. Just not a good look. He just doesn't win at the point of attack
Honestly... I know the "same old Ravens" narrative is dying, and rightfully so... If there is something where we are the "same old Ravens" it's with shit like this.

Wink has been doing a phenomenally good job, and I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. This defense has one definitive weakness at the moment. We cannot cover TEs over the middle, that has been a kryptonite. CJ Mosley, likely the best player on the defense and easily the most important would be absolutely phenomenal in a 4-3 defense. He could play all three ILB positions which gives us a tactical advantage there. He's a liability in man coverage, so he'd garner the MIKE. He'd drop into zone coverage(where he's borderline elite), blitz(which he's very good at), and be the QB of the defense. Then you have the Will, and the Sam. Kenny Young is proving me wrong every day and is turning into an absolutely fantastic Will LB. He's fast, good in coverage, and because CJ is the one who picks and attacks the lane, Kenny Young can do what he does best and clean up. And Kenny doesn't have to face larger, interior olinemen which is his weakness(though he has gotten much better). That leaves the strong side linebacker. This is the guy who covers the TE. Bowser has showed his ability to be damn good here. Strong side guy could also be asked to blitz. Sure, Bowser doesn't have a good plethora of pass rush moves, but he's damn good at pinning his ears back and just outrunning the tackle(how he got his sacks last year). He's a good blitzer. Not a good edge defender.

Honestly.. Bowser is a quality player. He's lost cause as an edge defender. I think even Ozzie knew that coming into it. Hell, if you watch the video of him getting drafted the first thing Ozzie says is "I want you to be the strong side linebacker". Is he going to have growing pains? Yes... You hardly played him last year. But we need to use him to the best of the ability. I have to disagree with this notion that "we are an elite pass rusher away". No. This defense is already a top 3 unit. You want an elite defense, you're going to need two good coverage linebackers in today's NFL. Kenny Young is proving himself to be one of them. We don't need to draft that guy. He's here. It's akin to us solving most of our run game woes by shifting Hurst to LG and Brown to RT.

We need to be more adept at covering the TE. It's the one weakness of this team and some of the best teams in the league(Eagles, Vikings, Saints(yes even with Watson), Patriots, Chiefs) have the TE prominetly featured in their offense as well as having well rounded passing attacks that go through the middle of the field. The run defense has improved tremendously this year, which I am glad to be wrong about. The middle is still the weak point, and honestly Bowser has a strong safety's athleticism and has the instincts in coverage. That's not the raw part of his game.

I think Martindale will adapt once he realizes that Peanut is... totally worthless as a player, but we could have definitively the best team in the conference if we make two adjustments. We are already very well balanced. This is a way to ensure that.... We have no real weakness. The defense is always going to give you something, but this is the way to ensure that the defense doesn't make it easy at any level.

Crabcruncher

Practice Squad
what are you talking about - hayden was always supposed to come back after 4 weeks or so - he is exactly on the schedule that was put out there when the surgery happened...

if anything he's slightly behind the initially reported schedule which said he'd miss 3-4 weeks from when the injury happened - it will have been 6 weeks from injury to his first game if he plays this sunday...

I think right now Hayden is in the conditioning phase of his rehab, if Hensley could report if he is running straight lines, or making cuts yet, it would let fans know how close he is in his progress. If its just straight lines, he is not ready for prime time.

Last edited:

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I just hope he's back in time for the Saints game.

ALI624

Pro Bowler
Jimmy officially activated and Darious Williams waived. LFG!