• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2023 NFL Draft Gameday Thread

How many picks will the Ravens make in the first 2 days of the draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Day 1: April 27th - 8pm ET
Day 2: April 28th - 7pm ET
Day 3: April 29th - 12pm ET

Kansas City

Broadcast on NFL Network, ESPN and ABC

ONLY 1 SLEEP UNTIL CHRISTMAS!

This thread has RULES - please read them... they are important

• There are NO SPOILERS in this thread before the broadcast catches up
  • We realise that insiders sometimes drop the picks before they are shown on the broadcast and request posters to abstain from posting that information in this thread on draft night until after the pick has been broadcast
  • We will operate a 2 strikes and you're out policy during broadcast - an initial verbal warning and deletion of post followed by a suspension for any further spoilers - suspensions could potentially last for the rest of the draft
  • The no spoilers rule applies to days 1 and 2 of the draft - if you are not interested in the broadcast you are free to post spoilers elsewhere in the forum but not on this gameday thread
  • This rule does not apply on day 3 because of how behind the broadcast runs but as always please be considerate of your fellow posters
Not many picks to worry about this year. Still a bunch of stuff that could be worthy of meltdowns.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
From @lostintranslation

Full disclosure: I am now an auditor. Busy season has completely overtaken my life. My level of in-depth scouting isn’t what it was.

That said. I am going to break a cardinal rule with this mock. I have us trading Patrick Queen and Gus Edwards for Pick 40 to New Orleans. It makes a lot of sense, the Saints need a LB. There isn’t a LB in this class better than Queen. Queen gets to go home to Louisiana. It’s an overpay but beggars cannot be choosers and he’s a good scheme fit. Some may call it unrealistic, I’d disagree with you. The Saints clearly think they can contend and Queen was starting to come on before Roquan showed up. He’s also a hometown dude, and desperate teams do desperate things. For suspension of disbelief purposes, let’s just say this happens.

Anyways, let’s get this started.

So put the torches and pitchforks down. This pick hasn’t been mocked to us. But I’ve seen him available this late. We’ve hosted a visit with him so we’re clearly interested. He’s a super high character guy and frankly should be a top ten pick in my opinion, but he’s going to fall due to lack of size. This is NOT considered a position of need by fans(when it should be), but this wouldn’t surprise me at all. Fans will hate this pick. I think it’s the right one.

Round One: Nolan Smith, Edge, Georgia

You read this right. The ravens are in a unique position right now post-Odell. This WR is very slot WR heavy so taking a WR round one is almost unadvisable. Deonte Banks prob going to be drafted before this. Emmanuel Forbes, while good, is not only tiny but he’s not a scheme fit. Not to mention, Marcus Peters is still a free agent and is likely to take a prove it deal now with the Ravens. So I don’t think we will take a CB early if Peters returns.

Ravens fans seem to be forgetting that we’ve lost our two best front seven players to free agency this year. And there’s one thing that holds true: football is a will always be won in the trenches. This isn’t me giving up on Oweh or writing off Ojabo. This isn’t me undervaluing Tyus Bowser. This is me acknowledging that losing Justin Houston is a big deal, and replacing him with someone who I think is going to be an elite pass rusher at the NFL level. Nolan Smith has one weakness as a prospect: he’s not big. He’s a speed rusher through a through. But his moves are developed, and so is his game. Hasson Reddick has shown the value of an undersized edge rusher, but there are aspects of Smith’s game that are superior to Reddick’s were as a prospect, namely Smith is an elite run defender day one at the NFL level.

Will he convert speed to power? No. But that’s not his game, and you don’t draft someone for what they can’t do, you draft someone for what they can do. And Nolan Smith has the potential to be an elite edge rusher, and given his noted work ethic, leadership, and the fact that his polish is an underrated aspect of his game, and I think at worst he starts at edge for them and turns into an 8 sack player as a rookie, with upside to be a 15 sack player. I get this pick isn’t sexy. I get this isn’t WR to help Lamar(I don’t think there’s a single WR worth it at pick 22 this draft, including Flowers). He’s small, I get it. Not your typical ravens mold, but after how ineffective Oweh was last year, I think we should be able to look in the mirror and re-evaluate our draft philosophy as a team. Smith is a better prospect than anyone is giving him credit for.

Round Two(from New Orleans): Josh Downs, WR, North Carolina

Did I mention that this is a slot WR heavy draft? So what’s the point in talking about it while not getting the best one? I’m a big Josh Downs fan, and he’s very much gone under the radar. Downs plays like a raven. He’s tough, he’s small but mighty, but where I think he truly shines is his route running. I think Zay Flowers has better movement skills and superior athleticism. I think Downs has (significantly) better hands and is a comparable player in terms of football IQ. Downs has NASTY release packages an is a much tougher player than Flowers. The question becomes, why would I get Flowers, a player who I think has a legitimate drop problem who doesn’t play as big as his size, who’s probably going to be overdrafted anyways in round one, when I can get Downs, who I don’t think is that far behind him in the middle of the second round? I think Downs compliments Beckham Jr and Bateman really well and I think he adds an explosive element from the slot we were lacking. He’s also a really underrated contested catch threat. Overall, I think there’s a very good chance he’s here, he’s not talked about that often, and I think at pick 40 he’s tremendous value.

Round Three: Clark Phillips III, CB, Utah

Clark Phillips is not just a slot CB. That’s a lie. He’s Tavon Young with a mean streak. I’ve seen him go as high as round 2, but as low as mid round four. I don’t think later round three is an unreasonable projection based on this. Clark Phillips, more than any corner, plays like a raven. With his physicality I think he wouldn’t be useless on the outside, matter of fact if he improves his skills in zone coverage I think he’d be a net asset anywhere. Overall, you need to get some depth it, and clark Phillips III is just a better version of Pepe Williams at worse. I’m not giving up on Armor-Davis or Williams, but I don’t want us to neglect CB even if Peters returns. Further, Kyle Hamilton will likely take time away from the slot the more he plays SS now that Chuck Clark is gone. It wouldn’t be. The worst idea in the world to get someone who at worst, is a good NFL slot CB.

Round Four: Roschon Johnson, RB, Texas

Anyone who has kept in contact with me knows that Bijan is my favorite player in this draft. So much so that I think if he’s available at pick 22, we should say “screw it” and run to podium to get him. Roschon is also one of my favorite players in this draft, and if he wasn’t Bijan’s backup I think he’d be a third round pick at work. He’s an ideal short yardage back at worst but he also has third down upside due to superior pass protection, and can make some explosive plays. He does the dirty work, reduces Dobbins’ burden, and frankly I think he has starter upside. This man is a Gus Edwards replacement who is one of the most underrated players in the draft, who could be a starting caliber RB one ay.

Round Five: Andrew Vorhees, OG, USC

This is a redshirt but one we can afford to have. Vorhees would be going higher if it wasn’t for his injury but that’s fine. He has solid movement skills and is a scheme fit. He’s not exceptional in any particular category other than his last name but overall I think he has starter upside.

Round Six: Kazmir Allen, Gadget, UCLA

Kaz Allen is a ST pick. Overall I think both Duvernay and Hill are gone after this year. This is a pick for the future. Allen has upside as a plus return man and can be used effectively as a RB in gadget packages. Nothing special, but I think he’s an NFL player for five years minimum on ST value alone, and that is great sixth round pick if you can fin it.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
From @lostintranslation

Full disclosure: I am now an auditor. Busy season has completely overtaken my life. My level of in-depth scouting isn’t what it was.

That said. I am going to break a cardinal rule with this mock. I have us trading Patrick Queen and Gus Edwards for Pick 40 to New Orleans. It makes a lot of sense, the Saints need a LB. There isn’t a LB in this class better than Queen. Queen gets to go home to Louisiana. It’s an overpay but beggars cannot be choosers and he’s a good scheme fit. Some may call it unrealistic, I’d disagree with you. The Saints clearly think they can contend and Queen was starting to come on before Roquan showed up. He’s also a hometown dude, and desperate teams do desperate things. For suspension of disbelief purposes, let’s just say this happens.

So put the torches and pitchforks down. This pick hasn’t been mocked to us. But I’ve seen him available this late. We’ve hosted a visit with him so we’re clearly interested. He’s a super high character guy and frankly should be a top ten pick in my opinion, but he’s going to fall due to lack of size. This is NOT considered a position of need by fans(when it should be), but this wouldn’t surprise me at all. Fans will hate this pick. I think it’s the right one.

You read this right. The ravens are in a unique position right now post-Odell. This WR is very slot WR heavy so taking a WR round one is almost unadvisable. Deonte Banks prob going to be drafted before this. Emmanuel Forbes, while good, is not only tiny but he’s not a scheme fit. Not to mention, Marcus Peters is still a free agent and is likely to take a prove it deal now with the Ravens. So I don’t think we will take a CB early if Peters returns.

Ravens fans seem to be forgetting that we’ve lost our two best front seven players to free agency this year. And there’s one thing that holds true: football is a will always be won in the trenches. This isn’t me giving up on Oweh or writing off Ojabo. This isn’t me undervaluing Tyus Bowser. This is me acknowledging that losing Justin Houston is a big deal, and replacing him with someone who I think is going to be an elite pass rusher at the NFL level. Nolan Smith has one weakness as a prospect: he’s not big. He’s a speed rusher through a through. But his moves are developed, and so is his game. Hasson Reddick has shown the value of an undersized edge rusher, but there are aspects of Smith’s game that are superior to Reddick’s were as a prospect, namely Smith is an elite run defender day one at the NFL level.

Will he convert speed to power? No. But that’s not his game, and you don’t draft someone for what they can’t do, you draft someone for what they can do. And Nolan Smith has the potential to be an elite edge rusher, and given his noted work ethic, leadership, and the fact that his polish is an underrated aspect of his game, and I think at worst he starts at edge for them and turns into an 8 sack player as a rookie, with upside to be a 15 sack player. I get this pick isn’t sexy. I get this isn’t WR to help Lamar(I don’t think there’s a single WR worth it at pick 22 this draft, including Flowers). He’s small, I get it. Not your typical ravens mold, but after how ineffective Oweh was last year, I think we should be able to look in the mirror and re-evaluate our draft philosophy as a team. Smith is a better prospect than anyone is giving him credit for.

Did I mention that this is a slot WR heavy draft? So what’s the point in talking about it while not getting the best one? I’m a big Josh Downs fan, and he’s very much gone under the radar. Downs plays like a raven. He’s tough, he’s small but mighty, but where I think he truly shines is his route running. I think Zay Flowers has better movement skills and superior athleticism. I think Downs has (significantly) better hands and is a comparable player in terms of football IQ. Downs has NASTY release packages an is a much tougher player than Flowers. The question becomes, why would I get Flowers, a player who I think has a legitimate drop problem who doesn’t play as big as his size, who’s probably going to be overdrafted anyways in round one, when I can get Downs, who I don’t think is that far behind him in the middle of the second round? I think Downs compliments Beckham Jr and Bateman really well and I think he adds an explosive element from the slot we were lacking. He’s also a really underrated contested catch threat. Overall, I think there’s a very good chance he’s here, he’s not talked about that often, and I think at pick 40 he’s tremendous value.

Clark Phillips is not just a slot CB. That’s a lie. He’s Tavon Young with a mean streak. I’ve seen him go as high as round 2, but as low as mid round four. I don’t think later round three is an unreasonable projection based on this. Clark Phillips, more than any corner, plays like a raven. With his physicality I think he wouldn’t be useless on the outside, matter of fact if he improves his skills in zone coverage I think he’d be a net asset anywhere. Overall, you need to get some depth it, and clark Phillips III is just a better version of Pepe Williams at worse. I’m not giving up on Armor-Davis or Williams, but I don’t want us to neglect CB even if Peters returns. Further, Kyle Hamilton will likely take time away from the slot the more he plays SS now that Chuck Clark is gone. It wouldn’t be. The worst idea in the world to get someone who at worst, is a good NFL slot CB.

Anyone who has kept in contact with me knows that Bijan is my favorite player in this draft. So much so that I think if he’s available at pick 22, we should say “screw it” and run to podium to get him. Roschon is also one of my favorite players in this draft, and if he wasn’t Bijan’s backup I think he’d be a third round pick at work. He’s an ideal short yardage back at worst but he also has third down upside due to superior pass protection, and can make some explosive plays. He does the dirty work, reduces Dobbins’ burden, and frankly I think he has starter upside. This man is a Gus Edwards replacement who is one of the most underrated players in the draft, who could be a starting caliber RB one ay.

This is a redshirt but one we can afford to have. Vorhees would be going higher if it wasn’t for his injury but that’s fine. He has solid movement skills and is a scheme fit. He’s not exceptional in any particular category other than his last name but overall I think he has starter upside.

Kaz Allen is a ST pick. Overall I think both Duvernay and Hill are gone after this year. This is a pick for the future. Allen has upside as a plus return man and can be used effectively as a RB in gadget packages. Nothing special, but I think he’s an NFL player for five years minimum on ST value alone, and that is great sixth round pick if you can fin it.
Uhh yeah, I think pick 40 for Queen and Edwards is a total overvaluation of those two players. Happily be wrong, but Roquan cost less than that, and Edwards is just a throw in.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Uhh yeah, I think pick 40 for Queen and Edwards is a total overvaluation of those two players. Happily be wrong, but Roquan cost less than that, and Edwards is just a throw in.
Yeah, totally agree. Only way we can get a 2nd for Queen is if we package it with maybe a 4th rounder.

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
From @lostintranslation

I don't disagree with any of the positions being drafted. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us trade out of the first round if CB's are not available, but I think a bonafide LB could be a pick. I'm not sure on Edge in round 1. I think they have made that pick already with Oweh and Ojabo. Now, a bonafide MLB to pair with Roquan... after getting Richardson's presence in the DEF backfield last year. True LB's and not Edge guys are becoming undervalued. Nevertheless, I think it's either CB or WR, but I would not be surprised if we either drop back or take a Drew Sanders if he drops.

People on here will go stark raving mad if we were to pick Sanders if he falls, but pairing him now with Roquan or a CB with Marlon or a WR with Bateman and OBJ are all sort of doubling down - which I think the Ravens are sort of notorious for.

I love this thread each year and the meltdowns. I can't wait for it. lmao.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I don't disagree with any of the positions being drafted. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see us trade out of the first round if CB's are not available, but I think a bonafide LB could be a pick. I'm not sure on Edge in round 1. I think they have made that pick already with Oweh and Ojabo. Now, a bonafide MLB to pair with Roquan... after getting Richardson's presence in the DEF backfield last year. True LB's and not Edge guys are becoming undervalued. Nevertheless, I think it's either CB or WR, but I would not be surprised if we either drop back or take a Drew Sanders if he drops.

People on here will go stark raving mad if we were to pick Sanders if he falls, but pairing him now with Roquan or a CB with Marlon or a WR with Bateman and OBJ are all sort of doubling down - which I think the Ravens are sort of notorious for.

I love this thread each year and the meltdowns. I can't wait for it. lmao.
I doubt we draft Sanders, but wouldn't be surprised if he went in the first round. I see him going to the Bills.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
For today only, trading Queen seems like a great idea, because this draft is shaping up to be pretty boring from a Ravens PoV. We're getting used to having loads of picks with multiple firsts and this year is pretty sparse.

However, I don't think there's anything we could reasonably get for Queen that would be worth giving him up for. I think one more year of the Roquan-Queen partnership plus a likely 4th Rd comp pick in a couple of years is more valuable than a 3rd in a not great draft.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
I can guarantee you that we will not draft Correa and Kaufusi this year. I'll never forget that meltdown.
I think I'd meltdown if we did draft Sanders (or any ILB) in the first. Calling for the use of our first 2 picks at the position, plus Queen not so long ago, seems crazy - almost like a parody of an old school Ravens fan.

Surely the point of Roquan is that you don't have to use more premium assets at the position?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
For today only, trading Queen seems like a great idea, because this draft is shaping up to be pretty boring from a Ravens PoV. We're getting used to having loads of picks with multiple firsts and this year is pretty sparse.

However, I don't think there's anything we could reasonably get for Queen that would be worth giving him up for. I think one more year of the Roquan-Queen partnership plus a likely 4th Rd comp pick in a couple of years is more valuable than a 3rd in a not great draft.
Even for today and tomorrow, I’d be livid if we traded queen and didn’t walk away with an extremely lopsided return for him, and that’s not gonna happen so let RoQueen be a thing because that tandem is something that can really put our defense over the top.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Even for today and tomorrow, I’d be livid if we traded queen and didn’t walk away with an extremely lopsided return for him, and that’s not gonna happen so let RoQueen be a thing because that tandem is something that can really put our defense over the top.
I think we could trade Queen and our 4th round pick for a 2nd. I think it truly depends on who is available if we are going to make that kind of move. I agree with @QtR Nevermore that one more year of Queen and Roquan would be great.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
I agree, because trading him away would put linebacker back on the draft needs list, unless we think Harrison has developed into a starter. We just don't have enough picks this year to be creating additional holes in the roster.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Right now I'm leaning towards us trading Lamar to the Colts. Though, we'll see. There's a lot of different ways this could go

Tyler

Practice Squad
Figured I’d give you guys the Draft Day update from what I’ve heard. It sounds like Joey Porter Jr. Would be the favorite if he’s there. They don’t think Zay Flowers will still be on the board. This also kind of explains why they would wait until tonight to really try and pull the trigger on D Hop.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Figured I’d give you guys the Draft Day update from what I’ve heard. It sounds like Joey Porter Jr. Would be the favorite if he’s there. They don’t think Zay Flowers will still be on the board. This also kind of explains why they would wait until tonight to really try and pull the trigger on D Hop.
JPJ is my guy.

Is it your understanding that if a guy like JPJ is there we'd take him over trading for Hopkins?

Tyler

Practice Squad
JPJ is my guy.

Is it your understanding that if a guy like JPJ is there we'd take him over trading for Hopkins?
It really just depends on the draft final compensation required to get Hopkins. They’d love to pick a corner at 22 and use other picks to get D Hop, but with KC and Buffalo being in the mix, the price might end up getting driven up. Just buckle up, it’s going to be an eventful night lol.