• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Bad, and The Wind

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Interesting take on why we may have stopped attacking the middle of the field, but I'm not sure that is the reason. Yes we were abusing other teams when we attacked the middle of the field and i'm not sure why we stopped. Crazy if you ask me. Now that we have Hurst and Andrews back on the field healthy we need to start using them.

other teams have started to focus on our middle of the field space because of the threat of snead i think - which has partly closed the spaces for andrews et al

although hurst would have had a massive play if hed hung onto that flacco pass that was a little too lofted

Interesting take on why we may have stopped attacking the middle of the field, but I'm not sure that is the reason. Yes we were abusing other teams when we attacked the middle of the field and i'm not sure why we stopped. Crazy if you ask me. Now that we have Hurst and Andrews back on the field healthy we need to start using them.
FWIW, we don't really have a strong talent at the TE position. They played well as a unit but I don't see any talent there outside of Hurst and Andrews and both are rookies who missed time. Boyle is really just a blocker and Maxx Williams is who he is, nothing spectacular but he's decent on both ends of the spectrum. They played well as a unit but they really overachieved IMO.

I think the playcalling could certainly be better, but Hurst missed a lot of time, Andrews is still getting acclimated and outside of those two we don't have anyone who can get vertical and be consistent at winning one on one match ups.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
other teams have started to focus on our middle of the field space because of the threat of snead i think - which has partly closed the spaces for andrews et al

although hurst would have had a massive play if hed hung onto that flacco pass that was a little too lofted
Yeah it was a lofted pass but the replay shows Hurst not catch it correctly which is why it was easily knocked down. Could’ve been a better pass but should’ve been caught.

Hopefully that play though is a sign of what to come - we have 2 great mismatches in Hurst and Andrews and we need to utilize them.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

I agree with you that this is the reason we haven’t focused as much on the middle of the field, but there have been times where we could have taken advantage, yet didn’t do so.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
FWIW, we don't really have a strong talent at the TE position. They played well as a unit but I don't see any talent there outside of Hurst and Andrews and both are rookies who missed time. Boyle is really just a blocker and Maxx Williams is who he is, nothing spectacular but he's decent on both ends of the spectrum. They played well as a unit but they really overachieved IMO.

I think the playcalling could certainly be better, but Hurst missed a lot of time, Andrews is still getting acclimated and outside of those two we don't have anyone who can get vertical and be consistent at winning one on one match ups.
Andrews hasn’t played like a rookie. Hurst I agree is still getting acclimated due to his injury.

Andrews hasn’t played like a rookie. Hurst I agree is still getting acclimated due to his injury.
He’s not playing like a rookie but it’s not really going to get it done for a #1 TE production. I like Mark a lot and I’m not expecting starting caliber play but that’s what we need rn at the TE position.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
He’s not playing like a rookie but it’s not really going to get it done for a #1 TE production. I like Mark a lot and I’m not expecting starting caliber play but that’s what we need rn at the TE position.
His production is lacking due to limited usage and shit play calling, not his skills/readiness.

His production is lacking due to limited usage and shit play calling, not his skills/readiness.
I think we need to dial back on the expectations here. I really like Andrews a lot but it’s a learning process with the TE position and one of the hardest to learn overall. In order to really emerge as an option you have to show that you can consistently get open and beat 1v1 coverage. People are really giving Marty heat and while I have an issue with some of the calls, I don’t think you can completely blame him given the emergence of the other receivers, I think the run game is where you can put heat on Marty at.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Yeah it was a lofted pass but the replay shows Hurst not catch it correctly which is why it was easily knocked down. Could’ve been a better pass but should’ve been caught.

Hopefully that play though is a sign of what to come - we have 2 great mismatches in Hurst and Andrews and we need to utilize them.
It won't be for Hurst. Literally the only thing that was wrong with him as a prospect was his age. He looked the part in the pre-season. I don't think he's fully back in shape yet.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think we need to dial back on the expectations here. I really like Andrews a lot but it’s a learning process with the TE position and one of the hardest to learn overall. In order to really emerge as an option you have to show that you can consistently get open and beat 1v1 coverage. People are really giving Marty heat and while I have an issue with some of the calls, I don’t think you can completely blame him given the emergence of the other receivers, I think the run game is where you can put heat on Marty at.
I have to question if you’ve studied Mark Andrews college tape, because he was one of my most studied prospects before the draft, I said very early that if we took him at 16 I wouldn’t bat an eye, and if we took him after the trade backs I would have liked it as well. Mark Andrews isn’t just some rookie TE who’s overachieving, he has a knack for doing things that players with long careers don’t even develop a knack for, he has a feel for working space well and manipulating defensive positioning that you don’t see from even a lot of savvy veterans, and he pairs this with a set of hands that is well above average by #1 TE standards, very physical play when needed, and sneaky athleticism and YAC ability, he will make one good cut and suddenly break downfield in a hurry and turn short passes into big plays.

Andrews going in the third was an absolute disgrace, and you are selling him VERY short.

I have to question if you’ve studied Mark Andrews college tape, because he was one of my most studied prospects before the draft, I said very early that if we took him at 16 I wouldn’t bat an eye, and if we took him after the trade backs I would have liked it as well. Mark Andrews isn’t just some rookie TE who’s overachieving, he has a knack for doing things that players with long careers don’t even develop a knack for, he has a feel for working space well and manipulating defensive positioning that you don’t see from even a lot of savvy veterans, and he pairs this with a set of hands that is well above average by #1 TE standards, very physical play when needed, and sneaky athleticism and YAC ability, he will make one good cut and suddenly break downfield in a hurry and turn short passes into big plays.

Andrews going in the third was an absolute disgrace, and you are selling him VERY short.
I never knocked Andrews skills and I'm very well aware of everything you outlined. I actually mocked him to us in the 2nd round and was surpised that he fell to our pick come draft day.

My point isn't whether or not he can play, the thing is that people think that Marty's playcalling and Joe not looking for him are the only factors that play into this. The best case for a guy to get more targets is to consistently get open, eventually it will show on film that the coaches and Joe have access to. It's not a scenario where you're wide open once and a guy misses you, it's to the point where you consistently beat your match ups to the point where you can't be ignored. Right now we have a lot of mouths to feed on this offense so Andrew's opportunities are limited. I think he had a very impressive college tape, but we all know the NFL is a different game and not everything is going to translate on the fly. NFL defenses are a whole other ball game compared to college which is why I would stress that as of now, he's been very impressive given that he's a rookie still learning the blocking concepts/scheme, especially considering the type of offense he came from.

The thing is, right now we need starting caliber level play at the TE position. I'm thinking of Pitta during our SB year and asking Andrews to command that role is a challenge. To put it into perspective, it would be IMO, more impressive than what Torrey accomplished himself as a rookie. The list of rookie TEs who have assumed that type of role and have played up to it is very short and to expect Andrews to do it full time might not be something that's easy to do, if he were to accomplish it then I'll flat out say he could end up as our best offensive draft pick since Todd Heap or Marshal Yanda.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
oh i agree 100% - ive been a massive advocate for emphasising the seams and slot mostly for matchup reasons and featuring the tight ends
Even then we should be living over the middle dude. We have too many options to attack it that shutting it down should be close to difficult. Even then, with as good as Snead is playing, Andrews and Hurst alike should be getting their fair shakes in the slot. One of the main benefits of having as many good targets as we do is we can keep throwing you something different at different spots on the defense, leaving opposing defensive coordinators utterly confused. If you this supporting cast in the hands of an Andy Reid, Payton, McVay, etc. they'd be salavating at the opportunities this creates. It's why I don't buy into this narrative that "Marty has been decent". Crabtree and Brown in particular should have been used far more over the middle from the get go. I feel like half of the time we solely use Brown as a deep threat; his tape in Arizona proves that he's better than that. Doing stuff like sending Snead and Crab deep makes no fundamental sense unless we decide to send them on jumpball routes, but even then they'll likely be draped with a safety. Not getitng Alex Collins involved more in the passing game is low key one of the dumbest things he does. If we can't get him going on the ground after those insanely idiotic stretch calls, then that's the way to do it. It's being too quick to abandon the run, it's still, after ten years being unable to properly execute a simple screen play. Marty hasn't been horrid like Sarkisian, but it's not just that we can do better, it's that we can do MUCH better. Marty is a below average OC at this point in his career. He's not utterly ruining everything, but there's a lot of wasted opportunities thus far. For example, vs. the Saints was the first time we finally used Brown correctly on a crossing route and it worked beautifully. Flacco has been accurate, he's been smart this season. There's not an excuse. I'd argue he's better than Cam Cameron and Marc Trestman, but he's still not good.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
What I meant to to say about the TEs we drafted is that I believe they'll be fine moving forward. I thought Hurst was a fantastic prospect, even if he's not perfect, the only true knock on the guy was his age. His game is everything you'd want out of a modern NFL TE. @JoeyFlex5 hit Andrews on the head, but Andrews has also been steadily developing as a blocker. I know that Hurst seems dissapointing due to his age, but he's got all the talent to turn into an all pro in addition to having a high floor. At worst he's likely a good NFL TE. If you add in the fact that both of them compliment each other perfectly, then that's truly a scary proposition.

These draft picks are ones I thought we got for Lamar Jackson. I'm starting to think with Flacco's improved play that we could keep him for another year, possibly two. And given that Andrews is already far along in his development, and that Hurst looked really good in the preseason, that's a terrifying proposition for NFL defensive coordinators in 2019 if they continue. Both of them had a lot of pro-ready traits(route running, great hands, good athletes), and both bring something different to the table. In 2019 if they continue developing at the rate they are going, all this team needs to do is field an average offensive line. Even then, we could use two TE sets and just pound teams to death on the ground in 2019, all while having a top flight passing offense. I'm salavating just thinking about it, please get a real offensive coordinator Harbaugh.

It's a big reason I think 2019 could be our year. The rookie class from 2018 hasn't had too many chances, but Harbaugh is usually more lenient to second year players and the sheer amount of those + the fact that we likely keep everyone moving forward, along with us being able to add something else. 2019 could be the best all around team we've ever had to put it in short. It'd be a real treat to see us have a juggernaut on both sides of the ball, plus having the best kicker in the league with a really good punter.

I never knocked Andrews skills and I'm very well aware of everything you outlined. I actually mocked him to us in the 2nd round and was surpised that he fell to our pick come draft day.

My point isn't whether or not he can play, the thing is that people think that Marty's playcalling and Joe not looking for him are the only factors that play into this. The best case for a guy to get more targets is to consistently get open, eventually it will show on film that the coaches and Joe have access to. It's not a scenario where you're wide open once and a guy misses you, it's to the point where you consistently beat your match ups to the point where you can't be ignored. Right now we have a lot of mouths to feed on this offense so Andrew's opportunities are limited. I think he had a very impressive college tape, but we all know the NFL is a different game and not everything is going to translate on the fly. NFL defenses are a whole other ball game compared to college which is why I would stress that as of now, he's been very impressive given that he's a rookie still learning the blocking concepts/scheme, especially considering the type of offense he came from.

The thing is, right now we need starting caliber level play at the TE position. I'm thinking of Pitta during our SB year and asking Andrews to command that role is a challenge. To put it into perspective, it would be IMO, more impressive than what Torrey accomplished himself as a rookie. The list of rookie TEs who have assumed that type of role and have played up to it is very short and to expect Andrews to do it full time might not be something that's easy to do, if he were to accomplish it then I'll flat out say he could end up as our best offensive draft pick since Todd Heap or Marshal Yanda.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Even then we should be living over the middle dude. We have too many options to attack it that shutting it down should be close to difficult. Even then, with as good as Snead is playing, Andrews and Hurst alike should be getting their fair shakes in the slot. One of the main benefits of having as many good targets as we do is we can keep throwing you something different at different spots on the defense, leaving opposing defensive coordinators utterly confused. If you this supporting cast in the hands of an Andy Reid, Payton, McVay, etc. they'd be salavating at the opportunities this creates. It's why I don't buy into this narrative that "Marty has been decent". Crabtree and Brown in particular should have been used far more over the middle from the get go. I feel like half of the time we solely use Brown as a deep threat; his tape in Arizona proves that he's better than that. Doing stuff like sending Snead and Crab deep makes no fundamental sense unless we decide to send them on jumpball routes, but even then they'll likely be draped with a safety. Not getitng Alex Collins involved more in the passing game is low key one of the dumbest things he does. If we can't get him going on the ground after those insanely idiotic stretch calls, then that's the way to do it. It's being too quick to abandon the run, it's still, after ten years being unable to properly execute a simple screen play. Marty hasn't been horrid like Sarkisian, but it's not just that we can do better, it's that we can do MUCH better. Marty is a below average OC at this point in his career. He's not utterly ruining everything, but there's a lot of wasted opportunities thus far. For example, vs. the Saints was the first time we finally used Brown correctly on a crossing route and it worked beautifully. Flacco has been accurate, he's been smart this season. There's not an excuse. I'd argue he's better than Cam Cameron and Marc Trestman, but he's still not good.
I don't care what offensive scheme a OC runs. A OC has to make logical and rational decisions that's why McVay is so far ahead of other play callers combined with his offensive genius. He exploits matchups. Run if you see a light front or outside because your outnumbering the defense. Run no-huddle if your offense's clicking. The saints had no answers for J.Brown. They couldn't defend him on deep nor short/intermediate routes. They settled for 8 yards off coverage every snap and couldn't defend stop/comeback routes. There were other opportunites but Marty didn't take full advantage of it.

Look what McVay and the Rams are doing now: they pretty much run all of their under center plays with the same personnel. 11p and gurley as a single back. McVay sprinkles in some motions and misdirections. Post-snap Goff holds the ball towards Gurley and during the entire process there are no indications whether it's a run or PA pass. The best thing no opponent has found a way to defend this effectively. Simple yet brutally effective.

Last edited:

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
If you never send Snead or Crabtree deep that takes away the threat entirely. That will make the defense’s job 3x easier because we would be more predictable and they could hone in on specific things. Just because they aren’t as fast as John Brown doesn’t mean they can’t ever go deep. A good route can get someone open deep just as speed can.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
We won this coin toss, right? Anyone able to tell me which games we received the ball first and which games we didn’t?

Tank

Hall of Famer
We won this coin toss, right? Anyone able to tell me which games we received the ball first and which games we didn’t?

Not sure but a guess is that we’ve won the toss twice and received the ball first the other 5 games.