• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Bad, and The Wind

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
They also kept doing it to Butker in the KC game. “Butker hasn’t missed a field goal all year, he’s been perfect.” And he immediately misses one lol just shut up until after the kick I swear
I agree they need to shut the hell up, until after the kick!

redrum52

Hall of Famer
After reading Filmstudy's defense report it's good to see that someone else also noticed how the refs spotted the ball an extra yard on multiple occasions.

Noticed this live. I could be wrong, but one of the bad spots might have been for the Brees sneak on 4th.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I did overreact and I own up to that, but I keep that same type of energy for any player who preforms that bad. Point is, Jimmy doesn't get a pass from me if we don't have that type of accountability for anyone else. I personally liked the decision to keep Carr, but plenty of people were pissed after we decided to keep him even though he contributed to our defense being held together. You can look at the previous threads if you want, but any time we go up against a team with an athletic WR, people assume that means Carr is going to get burned by said player. I mean I recall people saying that he could get burned by John Ross of all people and he turned out to be a stud that day against Cincinatti. I think this still has to do with his game against AB dating back to last year. Let's be real here, people still have that game on their mind time to time and just expect Carr to get burned.
At this point, I have honestly no idea what you're talking about. All I said was the bigger narrative was people calling for Pees to be fired rather than Carr to get cut because no one expected Carr to cover Brown well.

arnie_uk

Veteran
While this is a reflection on Flacco, his history with TEs doesn't really make me buy it too much... So I say again... If only we drafted two rookie TEs with talent early on.
Not entirely sure what you mean?

He can't throw to the middle of the field when no one is there.

When snead was in he hit him eveytime and even had a drop. The only middle of the field play that was missed was hurst.

Marty doesn't use it enough, its not flacco ignoring it

Tank

Hall of Famer
I know that there is nothing to hang our heads about, as we actually played decent considering the Saints this year look like one of the elite teams. With that said, yes our playoff hopes are still alive and well, but it is games like yesterday and that Browns game that will make a huge difference for the playoffs. That game may be the difference between a wildcard or winning the division, a home playoff game or an away playoff game, or a needed bye week. That stuff really matters when playing a hard fought playoff game against the better teams and helps get you to the ultimate goal - a Super Bowl. It is a damn shame, because that game yesterday probably really mattered.
Well said, and I think in actuality since it was an AFC/division game the Browns game could end up hurting us more than yesterday.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Not entirely sure what you mean?

He can't throw to the middle of the field when no one is there.

When snead was in he hit him eveytime and even had a drop. The only middle of the field play that was missed was hurst.

Marty doesn't use it enough, its not flacco ignoring it
Allow me to clarify.
I agree with you.. But some people have been criticizing Flacco for not using the tight ends. I almost don't get it, through the first four weeks the offense went through them and we attacked the middle out. Hayden Hurst, our vaunted first round pick comes back and we completely abandon it, never play him, and what could be one of the hardest passing attacks in the league to stop isn't realized. There's too many weapons to account for and so many ways to kill you. It's not just Hurst and Andrews we should be using over the middle, a big allure of both Crabtree and Brown were each's respective ability to attack, where Brown could be a devestating YAC machine, and Crabtree has proven himself to be sneaky good after the catch, and well I know what you think about Snead. This offense should literally be living in the middle of the field and could be borderline impossible to defend against since we can also go deep well.

i also think Marty's situational football is lacking. Now that we had a guard yesterday and RT who could run block, we actually had success running up the middle against a solid run defense.. And we didn't use it more in favor of stretch plays. It's not just the personel being misused by Harbaugh. This offense should be one of the best in football in terms of ability to run, and there's very obviously a weak link here, along with Harbaugh being afraid to play the rookies.

Marty has been decent, but it's obvious to me that the talent has been bailing him out. In the hands of a competent offensive coordinator this would be a very good unit. Hell, Roman has done more with less overall firepower. We really need to switch over. This isn't the niners. Flacco is a real NFL QB who isn't a game manager and doesn't need a college playbook like Alex Smith and Kaepernick did. He's not elite, but he'd clearly be the best QB Roman has ever worked with.

God I wish we had Kubiak with this weapons corps

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
No.

Trader.
.... I wish we had a real OC with this weapons corps.

I swear to god if this team misses the playoffs... Keep the team the same and get rid of Harbaugh, keep Wink and Roman, and find someone who can run an actual offense. The players are not the problem imo. Flacco's been fine, Collins is a solid player, the oline has the personel to be effective, we just aren't using it.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
.... I wish we had a real OC with this weapons corps.

I swear to god if this team misses the playoffs... Keep the team the same and get rid of Harbaugh, keep Wink and Roman, and find someone who can run an actual offense. The players are not the problem imo. Flacco's been fine, Collins is a solid player, the oline has the personel to be effective, we just aren't using it.
Make Ray Lewis the head coach!

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I know the pff grades from Orlando Brown Jr. were not stellar... But he's a rookie and he needs to learn, and was far from the weak link on this oline. Stanley and Yanda have returned to normal, those two aren't the problem. The eye test indicates that while Brown jr registered a poor run blocking grade, he's ready to start and should be starting for the rest of the season. He wasn't bad, and will only get better. I'm not surprised the grades were so low, he's a rookie who hasn't gotten much playing time, and those stupid stretch calls certainly aren't helping his case. He needs to finish the season.

As for Bozeman. Skura has returned to being the weak link. Smaller, quicker, defensive linemen like Aaron Donald are going to give Bozeman trouble, but as a run blocker he was the big reason why runs up the middle were working vs. the Saints. He showed that vs. The Titans too, and the Titans have a pretty good defense. I'm all for benching Skura in favor of Bozeman at this point. Hurst is a passable G and is a good pass protector from the guard spot so we'd be getting an upgrade form Lewis. Bozeman can anchor better than Skura. He's not going to be anything special, but he's also solid in pass protection, and he should improve the run game. Brown Jr. Is going to start in the future at RT anyways, so you might as well do this.

This is what frustrates me about Harbaugh. That offensive line would be a good one. We could obviously stand to upgrade at C and move Bozeman to LG(where I think he could be a solid starter as well). But this, in combination of Marty's horrid situational gameplanning is just confirming for me what I initially thought: the players aren't the issue with this team. Once again, like in 2010-2012, Harbaugh is unwilling to let go of his friend, and is unwilling to play rookies like he always has been.

I am very optimistic about this team, I think we are a wild card team at worse... We're not winning a super bowl with Marty calling the shots. Straight up.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I know the pff grades from Orlando Brown Jr. were not stellar... But he's a rookie and he needs to learn, and was far from the weak link on this oline. Stanley and Yanda have returned to normal, those two aren't the problem. The eye test indicates that while Brown jr registered a poor run blocking grade, he's ready to start and should be starting for the rest of the season. He wasn't bad, and will only get better. I'm not surprised the grades were so low, he's a rookie who hasn't gotten much playing time, and those stupid stretch calls certainly aren't helping his case. He needs to finish the season.

As for Bozeman. Skura has returned to being the weak link. Smaller, quicker, defensive linemen like Aaron Donald are going to give Bozeman trouble, but as a run blocker he was the big reason why runs up the middle were working vs. the Saints. He showed that vs. The Titans too, and the Titans have a pretty good defense. I'm all for benching Skura in favor of Bozeman at this point. Hurst is a passable G and is a good pass protector from the guard spot so we'd be getting an upgrade form Lewis. Bozeman can anchor better than Skura. He's not going to be anything special, but he's also solid in pass protection, and he should improve the run game. Brown Jr. Is going to start in the future at RT anyways, so you might as well do this.

This is what frustrates me about Harbaugh. That offensive line would be a good one. We could obviously stand to upgrade at C and move Bozeman to LG(where I think he could be a solid starter as well). But this, in combination of Marty's horrid situational gameplanning is just confirming for me what I initially thought: the players aren't the issue with this team. Once again, like in 2010-2012, Harbaugh is unwilling to let go of his friend, and is unwilling to play rookies like he always has been.

I am very optimistic about this team, I think we are a wild card team at worse... We're not winning a super bowl with Marty calling the shots. Straight up.

That's what they said about Cam too... OH, never mind.

I didn't really see Brown as a problem and he was going against Cam. The Saints front four is pretty damn good, to their credit.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
That's what they said about Cam too... OH, never mind.

I didn't really see Brown as a problem and he was going against Cam. The Saints front four is pretty damn good, to their credit.
We did win a ring once we got rid of Cam and that played a big role lol.

I see a lot of the same thing happening except this defense is honestly a hell of a lot better than the one we had in 2012.

Offensive line woes: All we needed to do that postseason is move KO to his natural position at G, Oher to his better position at RT while benching Jah Reid(or was he hurt? IDK), and take fatass Mckinnie off the bench. BOOM. Oline was very good good in the postseason. In this instance all we'd need to do is move Hurst to G where he belongs, move Bozeman to C where he belongs, and get fatass Orlando Brown Jr. In the starting lineup. BOOM.

Marty doesn't attack the middle. We have a coordinator in Roman, who loves his TEs, and knows how to use the middle of the field effectively, and honestly(I know you're not a big Flacco guy but I think even you could admit that he's been playing well this season) would be playing with the best QB he's ever had the chance to play with.

This team has the roster to make a run. I don't doubt it's talent. I do doubt the coaching from Marty and some of the decisions from Harbaugh

Sooky

Pro Bowler
We did win a ring once we got rid of Cam and that played a big role lol.

I see a lot of the same thing happening except this defense is honestly a hell of a lot better than the one we had in 2012.

Offensive line woes: All we needed to do that postseason is move KO to his natural position at G, Oher to his better position at RT while benching Jah Reid(or was he hurt? IDK), and take fatass Mckinnie off the bench. BOOM. Oline was very good good in the postseason. In this instance all we'd need to do is move Hurst to G where he belongs, move Bozeman to C where he belongs, and get fatass Orlando Brown Jr. In the starting lineup. BOOM.

Marty doesn't attack the middle. We have a coordinator in Roman, who loves his TEs, and knows how to use the middle of the field effectively, and honestly(I know you're not a big Flacco guy but I think even you could admit that he's been playing well this season) would be playing with the best QB he's ever had the chance to play with.

This team has the roster to make a run. I don't doubt it's talent. I do doubt the coaching from Marty and some of the decisions from Harbaugh
I think it is weird because I feel like the first few games of the year the tight ends were abusing other teams in the middle of the field and it slowly went away.. I don't see as many 2 tight end creativity like there was the first couple games. I am really curious if Marty abandoned these plays because of the amount of tipped balls Joe has. And if that is the case I will be annoyed because yeah he leads the league or closed to in batted passes but the benefits outweigh the 2 or 3 tips he may have a game. No team could stop us when we were attacking the middle. Now I feel like the only receiver ever in the middle of the field is Snead and it is SO PREDICTABLE.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think it is weird because I feel like the first few games of the year the tight ends were abusing other teams in the middle of the field and it slowly went away.. I don't see as many 2 tight end creativity like there was the first couple games. I am really curious if Marty abandoned these plays because of the amount of tipped balls Joe has. And if that is the case I will be annoyed because yeah he leads the league or closed to in batted passes but the benefits outweigh the 2 or 3 tips he may have a game. No team could stop us when we were attacking the middle. Now I feel like the only receiver ever in the middle of the field is Snead and it is SO PREDICTABLE.
Interesting take on why we may have stopped attacking the middle of the field, but I'm not sure that is the reason. Yes we were abusing other teams when we attacked the middle of the field and i'm not sure why we stopped. Crazy if you ask me. Now that we have Hurst and Andrews back on the field healthy we need to start using them.