• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, the Bad, and The Ravens

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We should have paid Wagner. I remember when I was having this conversation with rmw and one of the mods on the old site. Me and the mod thought we could manage to keep Wagner and Williams but sadly it didn't go down that route and a lot of people were upset that we let Wagner walk.

That BW contract is hurting and I know how the team looks with out him and regardless, I'm still taking Wagner.

i wanted neither - i hardcore wanted the comp picks for both of them

i wanted neither - i hardcore wanted the comp picks for both of them
Wagner is one of the 3rd great OL we let walk and eventually it was going to hit this team. I would like to have too really good tackles on each side so I'm not upset and letting go of KO or Jensen but I wanted us to keep Wagner at the time.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wagner is one of the 3rd great OL we let walk and eventually it was going to hit this team. I would like to have too really good tackles on each side so I'm not upset and letting go of KO or Jensen but I wanted us to keep Wagner at the time.
I mean I guess you’re already forgetting we have Orlando Brown? He has potential to easily be better than Wagner. Don’t miss him at all. I think we should’ve let both walk.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Wagner wasn't that fucking good. Why is this being brought up again?

And I said let both walk initially.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
FWIW, TJ was a guy who could cover TEs but he's getting lost against JAG-TE's as well. CJ used to be a good coverage LB and in man no one expects him to run with an elite pass catching RB but getting ripped by JAG-TE's is a problem and not only Jesse James but even Vance McDonald wrecked him in coverage a couple of times. His lack of coverage over the middle is really killing this team and it's by far the defense biggest weakness atm. Jefferson has issues against TE, but his problems are in the deep sidelines more so then the middle of the field.
I’m guessing it may have to do with the weight gain but when did that start? I felt he was solid last year and maybe not spectacular but solid. He was phenomenal his rookie year and then downhill.
I think Williams will be the casualty in keeping Pierce. I agree there and good thing he's a RFA this year.
I only wonder if we plan to keep Pierce. If so then yes Williams is likely gone but I’m not yet convinced despite loving Pierce. I just don’t trust the FO to do it

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I couldn’t care less that we let Wagner go. I feel like we’ve done fine without Wagner.

arnie_uk

Veteran
I couldn’t care less that we let Wagner go. I feel like we’ve done fine without Wagner.
Jumping in but letting wagner go wasnt a massive loss but it was just the icing on the cake for the oline. Ko wagner jensen in the space of 4/5 seasons summed up the front offices thinking.

If you look at filmstudys oline grades, the lg and c position have been shite in 3 of the last 4 games. We have lost 3 of the last 4 games.

Flacco, and therefore this team lives and dies by its oline yet we have let 3 fifths of a good oline leave in 5 seasons.

They've had their priorities wrong

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Jumping in but letting wagner go wasnt a massive loss but it was just the icing on the cake for the oline. Ko wagner jensen in the space of 4/5 seasons summed up the front offices thinking.

If you look at filmstudys oline grades, the lg and c position have been shite in 3 of the last 4 games. We have lost 3 of the last 4 games.

Flacco, and therefore this team lives and dies by its oline yet we have let 3 fifths of a good oline leave in 5 seasons.

Could not agree more. Add in the fact that this team has a knack for developing defensive linemen anyways and we'd likely be fine on the other side of the ball. The only major hole on this team right now is the offensive line and if we had found a way to keep Jensen and KO, and all the receivers we have now, this team would likely be running away with the division. Hell, you could have signed Larry Warford(an absolutely perfect scheme fit)over Brandon Williams which solves half the problem by itself anyways.

I know you and several others are adamant for a total rebuild for when Harbaugh is fired at the end of the season. But I actually think if we go 9-7 again(a real possibility), a prospective candidate would go "Mostly complete team, not too many major holes, solid amount of cap room. Super Bowl winning QB, and if he doesn't work out in training camp his successor is waiting in the wings. Lot of money comes of the books in 2020 if 2019 proves to be bad. Solid WR corps. Defense for the most part taken care of... SOLD."

We even sniff the postseason. Get rid of Harbaugh, retool the line with just a simple LG or C, and keep the team mostly the same. Good things will happen. I mean, the worst case scenario for 2019 if we have a new HC is that Flacco stinks up the joint, Lamar is anointed the starting QB job, and all that money comes off of the books in 2020 and we just throw money at whatever problems we do have. Keeping everyone for 2019 is a win-win for a new HC so long as this oline is fixed. A new HC would have to be insane to at least not try to win his first year here.

Tank

Hall of Famer
I think in hindsight letting Jensen go was the worst mistake we’ve made on the O line in recent memory. Was he worth the money he got? Maybe, maybe not. But it took 4 years for the Ravens to put a viable center in place and now again it is a big hole that is killing the offense.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor

That’s how I feel as well with Jensen and KO. I understand both were expensive but you can’t change the cost of gas but you still need it if you want to drive a conventional car. Sure you can shop around for cheaper gas but you still need it and you may end up empty if you keep driving around. I just don’t think Wagner was a big loss as the others because I feel we replaced Wagner just haven’t been able to fill the others’ cleats

Tru11

Practice Squad

Great OL one would usually think of someone like Yanda.

Standards must have dropped to a new low i guess.....

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I too was ok with Wagner going, although I wanted him over bwill, but now we have Zeus who I expect to become one of the better RTs in the league, top 3 potential if he works and stays focused. Wagner was just solid, he was an absolute stonewall in pass pro but essentially worthless in run blocking, no push what so ever, he was the Alex Lewis of ravens RTs.

Now with that offseason, I would’ve been much happier letting both walk, and signed a guy like Larry warford instead of Tony Jefferson and bwill. Take the comp picks, save the cap space, address the OL further, and we would likely be seeing a Levine or Clark playing at SS and if I had to guess they would be performing relatively well, and in relation to their cap figures they’d bring way more value than Jefferson.

Plus, pierce > bwill and we all called that 2 years ago

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Great OL one would usually think of someone like Yanda.

Standards must have dropped to a new low i guess.....
Yeah both Wagner and Jensen are just good. Nothing more. Nothing special. KO has been pretty dominant at times, but Still wouldn’t even say great. Above average more like.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
He wouldn’t be that good in a powere scheme and we knew we were changing the scheme.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah both Wagner and Jensen are just good. Nothing more. Nothing special. KO has been pretty dominant at times, but Still wouldn’t even say great. Above average more like.
Thus not worth paying them what they got

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Thus not worth paying them what they got
I slightly agree because they were overpaid but I also think this is what the NFL is doing now. If you want a guy throw a bunch of money at them and OL is at a premium in FA because it’s hard to find guys who are really good. The draft has become a true crap shoot there partially due to the way the college game has been played.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I slightly agree because they were overpaid but I also think this is what the NFL is doing now. If you want a guy throw a bunch of money at them and OL is at a premium in FA because it’s hard to find guys who are really good. The draft has become a true crap shoot there partially due to the way the college game has been played.

That last part I am in major agreement with. This is why I have NO problem with the Colts going the route they did.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Only a few Universities still teach run blocking with how offenses are run nowadays. I definitely agree with that one and it’s definitely frustrating.