• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Ravens Trade for Ty Montgomery

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Unbelievable Ty got death threats sent to him after the game. Boneheaded and selfish but that is so ridiculous.
Oh good. he got my mail. Yeah I was mad about him not coming to my party last week, I overreacted(how shocking right?)

Seriously that's fucked up

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’ll say this about Ty Montgomery—he fits our QB and OC perfectly. One likes to throw the ball and one loves his RB dumpoff passes. Maybe it’ll work

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I’ll say this about Ty Montgomery—he fits our QB and OC perfectly. One likes to throw the ball and one loves his RB dumpoff passes. Maybe it’ll work
And our head coach loves hurting NFL players too and making dumbass decisions that cost his team games!

If you tell me that Montgomery is a sacrificial lamb for our season and we suddenly make the postseason I am going to be okay with the trade

Taze

Practice Squad
A 7th for someone who immediately becomes the best receiving RB by far. Not sure what is bad about that. I’m just glad I don’t have to watch Buck Allen anymore, hopefully. I have zero idea what they saw in him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
So here’s a question that should’ve been asked already... can he play wr at this level? Great hands and a tough SOB, can he run routes? I’m sure we’ll see him flexed out plenty, but how effective is he there?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
So here’s a question that should’ve been asked already... can he play wr at this level? Great hands and a tough SOB, can he run routes? I’m sure we’ll see him flexed out plenty, but how effective is he there?

im not sure i want him as a wr - he apparently always wanted to be a rb, and he fits better as a rb - he runs hard and breaks tackles and is a threat on various different types of runs and seems to see the field ok - the wr past helps him with route running and i think that makes him a more effective rb

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Damn... thts bad lol.

Ftr I actually really wanted Montgomery in 2015, didn’t envision him becoming a rb though.
im not sure i want him as a wr - he apparently always wanted to be a rb, and he fits better as a rb - he runs hard and breaks tackles and is a threat on various different types of runs and seems to see the field ok - the wr past helps him with route running and i think that makes him a more effective rb
and apparently you can’t tell this dude to play a role he doesn’t want to lmao

He was 3rd on the RB depth chart to Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones. Now Aaron Jones is a beast and I have no idea why he gets such a low amount of carries but Jamaal Williams on the other hand is pretty much average at best and Montgomery was given plenty of opportunities to be the Packers lead RB. Now he's going to a worse situation in which this OL can't block a fly and is dealing with a rash of injuries. He's more like a replacement for Buck/Dixon then Collins. I think this does confirm that Dixon probably isn't going to return this season.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
He was originally drafted as a WR and did nothing until they converted him to RB. He could potentially kick him out to the slot and run a crossing patter, but that's probably about it. He's just much better as a RB than a WR.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He was originally drafted as a WR and did nothing until they converted him to RB. He could potentially kick him out to the slot and run a crossing patter, but that's probably about it. He's just much better as a RB than a WR.
I know all about him, he was a third round guy on a team that wasn’t exactly short of WRs, and got a starting job as a rb pretty early on due to injuries, none of this is exactly damning evidence of him as a wr.

Now comparing college film to his pro game, I agree he’s a better rb, but he didn’t get much run at wr and we never know what he could’ve progressed to, he had some tools at wr but lacked the speed to be able to contribute early.

Not seriously thinking of him as a wr, just spitballing really, he’s made some nice plays in the passing game

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I've been watching film on Montgomery. I'm still not a massive fan of doing just this, especially with our oline woes. But he's a good player. Nothing great or amazing but probably better than anything we could get on the market right now. He's Alex Collins if he ran between the tackles... And was faster long-speed wise. Aka an ideal compliment.

So... Why am I still not a fan? Simple.. The oline is trash. He's better than Buck IDK what @JoeyFlex5 is thinking by saying "they're the same player". He's a completely different animal. If we had a competent run blocking offensive line I'd be thrilled and be calling this a steal. Bozeman and Orlando Brown Jr. have been passing the eye test but PFF has them as poor in opposite categories, with Brown jr. being good in pass pro but awful in run blocking and Bozeman being the reverse.

He's a good player, I was never doubting that. Don't expect anything amazing, or him to make it work with this oline.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
So people will probably asks what he brings to the table. In college he had inconsitent hands and was not a great route runner but that last part is diminished now that he's more or less a third down back. His hands have gotten better, he's solid in pass protection, and he's a much better athlete than anyone else on the team at the moment. He's not an elite athlete, but he's shifty with some power and pretty solid long speed. You get him in the open field, it's not unfeasible for him to take it 40 yards. He's really another weapon for Joe in the passing game in this way. So in that way, I like him a lot, but I have this horrible feeling that Marty is going to misuse him to no end.

Montgomery isn't a feature guy, but if he's your #2, you're in good shape. Let's hope he can help get this team in order.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
He was 3rd on the RB depth chart to Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones. Now Aaron Jones is a beast and I have no idea why he gets such a low amount of carries but Jamaal Williams on the other hand is pretty much average at best and Montgomery was given plenty of opportunities to be the Packers lead RB. Now he's going to a worse situation in which this OL can't block a fly and is dealing with a rash of injuries. He's more like a replacement for Buck/Dixon then Collins. I think this does confirm that Dixon probably isn't going to return this season.
I really don’t think it has anything to do with Dixon. We traded for a guy for literally basically nothing. That’s it. All there is to it. He’s in no way replacing would be Dixon snaps and Dixon could very well come back in a few weeks and take Collins snaps.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I really don’t think it has anything to do with Dixon. We traded for a guy for literally basically nothing. That’s it. All there is to it. He’s in no way replacing would be Dixon snaps and Dixon could very well come back in a few weeks and take Collins snaps.
He was reading this post but then his ACL tore somehow when he did a silent fist pump. It may make no sense, but that's Dixon for ya!

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
I got so freaking excited even watching Dixon’s few snaps in the preseason, and in the first game. He wasn’t even 100% but he’s just freaking electric AND near impossible to take down. I love him as a player so much it really sucks that he’s had injury problems.