• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Ravens Trade for Ty Montgomery

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Interesting to think about this move in the context of Dixon being back at the facility:

Dixon was eligible to begin his 21-day practice window as of last week but that hasn't happened yet but he has also been seen in the facility looking lean and healthy so he might not be too far off...

this move could indicate a few things but i think this coaching staff and front office are not enamoured with either collins or buck at the moment...
and if Ty Montgomery starts winning the 3rd down back job from buck within the next couple of weeks i think we may see buck ultimately in trouble on the roster (or at least in terms of snaps) with dixon coming in

alternatively collins's most natural replacement for bellcow work is currently sat on I/R but not far off being eligible to return - any more struggles and we might see Collins in trouble too

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i mean who else and what else would we have gone after that would demonstrably help this team for the rest of this year without mortgaging the future?
This is very close to a SB contending team if a few things happen:
1. Get a good C and shuffle the OL accordingly
2. Get a better 2nd RB because the buck experiment is over
3. Stop employing garbage game plans

2 was done for next to nothing. 3 can be done in house if Greg Roman is given more freedom to kick Marty’s ass into shape. 1 could have been done for a relatively high cost but not exactly mortgaging the future. It some team with a pro bowl caliber C is willing to part ways for a third, then do it, because this team could win a super bowl if they could get the goddamn run game going and the coaches could get their heads out of their asses. I personally believe a better C and a commitment to runs between the tackles will fix most of our woes, but you can’t commit to it without the C, which we still don’t have.

Not that the trade market is flooded with centers, but a third rounder can suddenly make a lot of teams pick up the phone.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer

2 was done for next to nothing. 3 can be done in house if Greg Roman is given more freedom to kick Marty’s ass into shape. 1 could have been done for a relatively high cost but not exactly mortgaging the future. It some team with a pro bowl caliber C is willing to part ways for a third, then do it, because this team could win a super bowl if they could get the goddamn run game going and the coaches could get their heads out of their asses. I personally believe a better C and a commitment to runs between the tackles will fix most of our woes, but you can’t commit to it without the C, which we still don’t have.

Not that the trade market is flooded with centers, but a third rounder can suddenly make a lot of teams pick up the phone.
Honestly I’d be thrilled with this move if the oline wasn’t terrible and Marty wasn’t the OC.

That’s why he did that??????

That explains a lot and explains why he was let go. Yeah thts bad, and that kinda shit doesn’t fly here under Harbaugh. I’m sure there’s been discussions and if he even hints at that kinda behavior he will be gone
That's why I'm stunned. Given Harbaugh's "my way or the dog house" persona, I can't believe we got a guy who showed that level of insubordination to his coaches demand, in the face of Aaron "the franchise" Rodgers of all people.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

but find me that center and that team that would pick up the phone for a player that we could fit under the cap this year...
find me that player and that team and that contract

if im honest i think there's more holes on this team than that

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
but find me that center and that team that would pick up the phone for a player that we could fit under the cap this year...

The team does have more holes than that. No team is perfect. But you fix that we have a team that can pass the ball and run effectively with a really good but not perfect defense. Which is a contending team all things considered

ALI624

Pro Bowler
Unbelievable Ty got death threats sent to him after the game. Boneheaded and selfish but that is so ridiculous.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Interesting to think about this move in the context of Dixon being back at the facility:

Dixon was eligible to begin his 21-day practice window as of last week but that hasn't happened yet but he has also been seen in the facility looking lean and healthy so he might not be too far off...

this move could indicate a few things but i think this coaching staff and front office are not enamoured with either collins or buck at the moment...
and if Ty Montgomery starts winning the 3rd down back job from buck within the next couple of weeks i think we may see buck ultimately in trouble on the roster (or at least in terms of snaps) with dixon coming in

alternatively collins's most natural replacement for bellcow work is currently sat on I/R but not far off being eligible to return - any more struggles and we might see Collins in trouble too
I think the coaching staff is very quickly losing faith in Collins

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Well I’m not working in an nfl front office, so I can’t exsctly pick up these phones and shop around

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I'm not saying he's a bad player, he's not one. But he's not great either. I do think he's a much better player than Buck Allen but I still find it utterly pointless. The playcaller sucks and so does the oline and Montgomery is a good receiver out of the backfield if he actually catches the fucking ball. He's a different type of runner than what we have and is probably faster than anyone we have, and is essentially an Alex Collins who runs betweens the tackles.

But it's not going to matter with this shit oline and Marty calling the plays. It'd be great if we had a good oline and a good OC. We don't. We gave up nothing, sure. But we didn't gain anything either.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Boy was I wrong about Collins. I saw a lot of things that should suggest he keeps on the same pace as last year, his yardage last year was mostly earned by himself, not system of OL based.

I can’t understand what in the flying fuck happened with him...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Boy was I wrong about Collins. I saw a lot of things that should suggest he keeps on the same pace as last year, his yardage last year was mostly earned by himself, not system of OL based.

I can’t understand what in the flying fuck happened with him...

i think its partly him regressing back to the mean and partly teams realising how he wants to run
Collins is a violent runner and makes agile cuts but he seems to have an inbuilt need to break to the outside and get on the edge and defences know that so when they see Collins take the handoff the linebackers break to the outside immediately with less hesitation - its probably partly why he's made some decent chunks when he actually has run inside because linebackers are kind of on their heels

these are all guesses though - his effectiveness in the redzone with lamar does suggest to me that its more about defences becoming wise to his running style in our traditional offensive packages