• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Jets - Random Thought Thread

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Certain universal, immutable truths:

1) The Jets have a SB caliber roster less the QB. In many ways similar to 2010. That Jets team was loaded but unfortunately had Mark Sanchez as QB and it was their undoing. You may not believe it and I don't know what the hell happened in Dallas, but I do know this team is very, very talented.

2) Zach Wilson is the WORST QB I've ever seen? Now granted, he's not a locker room poison like Ryan Leaf was but without the vitriol from his mouth he's EVERY bit as bad.

3) The situation is becoming untenable. Jets fans are enthusiastically ANGRY about the coaching staff and their unwillingness to bench Zach. I actually had to turn ithe game off on Sunday. I knew what would happen before the game despite the best efforts of Jets fan friends of mine. I don't know how this situation ultimately is settled but I know Jets fans sometimes take their demands public. In 2014, Jets fans paid jointly to put up billboards demanding John Idzik be fired. You can't put anything past them.

4) IF the OL gets healthy and starts playing as a cohesive unit that's a top 5 OL all day long. It's sound beyond absurd, I know. It sounds quite frankly ludicrous. What I know is the best 5 are playing right now. Mekhi Becton, is a top of the line LT. AVT is probably the best player certainly on the line and possibly on the team. He's very athletic and very versatile. He can play RT and do well at it. Very excited to see Joe Tippman get a shot. He'll do great. Laken Tomlinson is a bummer and a waste of free agency. Certainly not worth what JD paid to get him here. But he can play better so long as McGovern and Becton play better on either side. It's sounds psychotically DUMB I know but it's very possible. Maybe it comes to fruition maybe it doesn't? It really depends on how healthy the OL can remain.

5) The Jets are AARON RODGERS team. The ONLY reason besides the obvious high level of talent on this team that Aaron decided to be play for the Jets is Robert Saleh. Aaron thinks very highly of him. Therefore, they are a package deal. And by extension JOE DOUGLAS is actually safe here. Joe Douglas has done an excellent job as GM of this team. To that end I have no doubt. However, this is a very combustible situation. No one is safe in an environment like that. Despite Aaron not even being in NY, he is the reason why Joe and Robert will keep their jobs, if they do? Or maybe they don't and Aaron leaves the Jets high and dry?

Honestly, IF by some strange miracle Zach actually becomes a decent QB? Winning cures all ailments. Otherwise, and because Saleh refuses to change the QB, the Jets are a 1-16 team.

What I also know is that for my own health and well being I just can't care anymore. I'll keep watching but only out of sheer morbid curiosity....

Mainejet

Practice Squad
They probably will not be able to open up the playbook the way they would have been able to do with Rodgers, and the amount of experience he brings to the table will surely be missed. With that said, your team has too much talent to not make some noise. Hell if Tyler Huntley didn’t fumble the ball diving into the end zone and had it run back 100 yards for a TD, we would have beat the Bengals and played the Chiefs in the AFC Championship game. Your team still has a chance. It will probably take a little time to digest this but if you can keep winning a few games, you will get excited again.
Thank you for the kind words. As Aaron Rodgers repeated, "The night is always darkest before the dawn". My depression is at ground zero right now. I know tomorrow is a new day.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
If the Jets don't get better QB play they won't make the playoffs and Aaron's miraculous, fast return won't matter because the Jets will already be home.

Mainejet

Practice Squad

Apparently, TONIGHT is Zach Wilson's last opportunity. This report is from Dianna Russini. I trust her as a source for good information.

If the report is true? Then I think Hackett should completely open up the playbook for Zach. Let him figure it out if he can? Give him every play at his disposal. Straight sink or swim....

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
@Mainejet It was good to see Wilson have a good game, up until the fumble of course. Feel the Jets were robbed in that last series. No way that was PI on Sauce....especially with how physical the refs had been allowing them to play.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
@Mainejet It was good to see Wilson have a good game, up until the fumble of course. Feel the Jets were robbed in that last series. No way that was PI on Sauce....especially with how physical the refs had been allowing them to play.
I agree. And that loss certainly wasn't on Zach either. There were many other opportunities that the Jets had to win that game. I'm excited as hell to see if Zach can do it again. It looked like something finally clicked in his head and he started getting it? I don't know for sure. The only we'll ever know is if he starts to string together good games.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
If the Jets can't beat Denver today then they have no business talking playoffs. Zach played a good game last week, the OL seems to be jelling now, the Jets defense is the 2nd overall defense, Denver has the leagues very worst defense, and oh by the way their HC talked shit about the Jets and Hackett. I'll be hugely disappointed if we don't hang 30 plus on them today.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
The ONLY chance the Jets have against Philly today is for the OL to finally arrive. They haven't done it once this season. Now, after losing AVT for the season that looks even more impossible. Max Mitchell is the most obvious choice to plug in at RT. Mitchell played decent after getting thrust into the starting lineup last season until he went down for the season with blood clots. Just the same, there were a few occasions last season, against Green Bay and the 1st Buffalo game, when Mitchell started the game and Jets OL dominated the game. Late in both of those games, the Jets were trying to bleed clock. The Jets were going with the run, the opponent knew it, the crowd knew it, there wasn't a soul in the stadium that didn't know what was coming. Well, the Jets just pounded the opponent up front and took every run play huge. Jets running backs averaged at least 5 yards a carry in those drives. Against GB the Jets did that with Breece Hall and Mike Carter. Against Buffalo, Jets did that with James ? (His name escapes me. Guy we traded with Jax for) and Mike Carter. So my claim is although highly unlikely, I think the Jets lose easily, the OL is the key to the Jets defeating the Eagles. The faces are slightly different, last season in those games, the Jets had AVT and Duane Brown playing against GB. In the Buffalo game, the Jets had lost AVT and still played very well with Max Mitchell at RT. This season, Mekhi Becton is back and appears to be raising his game each week. Becton, if he can reach his rookie season play, was one of the most dominant Tackles in the game. However, in this game, Jets will be missing Duane Brown and AVT. So once again although it looks bleak, the Jets could take this game tomorrow if the OL can have a performance like they had in the early part of last season.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
The ONLY chance the Jets have against Philly today is for the OL to finally arrive. They haven't done it once this season. Now, after losing AVT for the season that looks even more impossible. Max Mitchell is the most obvious choice to plug in at RT. Mitchell played decent after getting thrust into the starting lineup last season until he went down for the season with blood clots. Just the same, there were a few occasions last season, against Green Bay and the 1st Buffalo game, when Mitchell started the game and Jets OL dominated the game. Late in both of those games, the Jets were trying to bleed clock. The Jets were going with the run, the opponent knew it, the crowd knew it, there wasn't a soul in the stadium that didn't know what was coming. Well, the Jets just pounded the opponent up front and took every run play huge. Jets running backs averaged at least 5 yards a carry in those drives. Against GB the Jets did that with Breece Hall and Mike Carter. Against Buffalo, Jets did that with James ? (His name escapes me. Guy we traded with Jax for) and Mike Carter. So my claim is although highly unlikely, I think the Jets lose easily, the OL is the key to the Jets defeating the Eagles. The faces are slightly different, last season in those games, the Jets had AVT and Duane Brown playing against GB. In the Buffalo game, the Jets had lost AVT and still played very well with Max Mitchell at RT. This season, Mekhi Becton is back and appears to be raising his game each week. Becton, if he can reach his rookie season play, was one of the most dominant Tackles in the game. However, in this game, Jets will be missing Duane Brown and AVT. So once again although it looks bleak, the Jets could take this game tomorrow if the OL can have a performance like they had in the early part of last season.
good luck. Hope you pound them to the turf. Make sure those Eagles are grounded

Mainejet

Practice Squad
great win today over the Eagles @Mainejet . Boy I hate the Eagles!
WOW! I had been waiting for a victory like that. It's Zach, and only ZACH, that holds this team up. I knew they could compete with the best because their defense keeps them in every game. Just absolutely have to have Zach start to pull his weight. If we still had AR? I have an idea we probably would have been 5-1 right now?

Mainejet

Practice Squad
It needs to be said... Joe Douglas is probably one of the very best GM's in the business. It's not just the draft choices which have been very good. But what about UDFA's? JD is excellent at finding talented kids that don't get noticed.

Currently, the Jets have Bryce Huff, Tony Adams, and Xavier Gipson playing major roles on offense, defense, and ST's. Bryce Huff is stealing reps away from 1st round draft choices. In the Philly game he had 9 QB pressures and 1.5 sacks. Tony Adams had the game deciding interception of Jalen Hurts. X Gipson had the miraculous OT punt return walk off punt return against Buffalo. They have several others playing prominent roles on the team and one on injured reserve.

That's called making the most of the resources you have available to you. Everyone in NY is pleading with the Jets to sign Bryce Huff while we still can. Tony Adams and Xavier Gipson are surely part of the team's future. There's others making their way up the ranks. Jets have a 7th round TE (not quite an UDFA but very close to it), that figures quite prominently into the team's future.

Joe Douglas is one of the very best in the business. His success is impossible to deny and if he keeps this up much longer the Jets are going to be SB champs.....

Mainejet

Practice Squad
NY Jets fans haven't exactly been too pleased with the state of officiating in Jets games this season. The team has oftentimes found itself the victim of some questionable referee decisions this year, only for the NFL to apologize after the game.

That was the case again this past Sunday in the Jets' Week 6 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles. Eagles defensive end Josh Sweat hit Zach Wilson low for what should have been a roughing the passer penalty late in the second quarter.

Instead, the play did not result in a penalty, and the Jets would soon after have to settle for a field goal. Less than a week later, the NFL fined Sweat $16,391 for a low hit on a quarterback that should have resulted in a flag.

But this is the Jets we're talking about. They don't receive roughing the passer calls. In fact, the Jets haven't been the beneficiary of a roughing the passer penalty since 2021 — easily the longest such streak in the NFL.

This has become a troubling trend for the Jets this season. The team is the victim of a missed call in the game, and the NFL apologizes or admits their mistake days later. Of course, that doesn't change the outcome of the game, however.

The NFL continues to screw over the NY Jets with bad refereeing​

The NFL issued an official apology to the Jets following their Week 2 loss to the Dallas Cowboys after a blatantly incorrect roughing the passer penalty against Jets defensive lineman John Franklin-Myers.

Of course, it's impossible to forget what happened in the team's Week 4 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday Night Football. Multiple terrible calls on the Chiefs' final drive, including an egregiously bad holding penalty on Sauce Gardner that wiped out a game-changing interception, altered the outcome of that game.

Then there's the controversial blindside block on Jets wide receiver Allen Lazard that occurred in Sunday's game against the Eagles. The penalty nullified a potential 30-yard gain for the Jets, prompting the MetLife crowd to chant, "Refs you suck."

The Sweat non-call, while it flew under the radar, could have had significant ramifications for the Jets. The play in which it occurred was a nine-yard completion to Garrett Wilson. If the penalty was called, the Jets would have been set up with 1st-and-goal with 0:46 to play.

Instead, the Jets had the ball around the 20-yard line and, following a holding penalty of their own, would be forced to settle for a field goal. Who knows what would've happened if the correct call had been made?

This can't keep happening. It's a frustrating experience for fans who just want to see a fair football game, and it's even worse for the players whose careers are being affected

The post-game apologies and admissions of fault are tiresome. It's time to start making the right calls when it actually matters.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
yeah, the Ravens would have beaten the Colts if it weren't for a terrible non call in week 3. Nowadays you have to play your opponent and the referees.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
yeah, the Ravens would have beaten the Colts if it weren't for a terrible non call in week 3. Nowadays you have to play your opponent and the referees.
The refs are worse than EVER before. It's horrible how bad the calls are. Look at how the 49ers got screwed against the Browns last weekend. The refs literally decided that game for the Browns.

Mainejet

Practice Squad
Jets need to make a move now. If you haven't been watching, everyone in the AFC east lost yesterday. The Jets have a golden opportunity to beat the Chargers (good team, not great and certainly not bad either) and get to a 1/2 game out of 1st place. Dolphins lead the division but they're paper champions right now. They've played all of their easiest games. They finish up with two against the Jets also have Bills, Chiefs, Eagles, Bengals. Buffalo doesn't worry me. They don't look very good right now. Patsies are a laughingstock. I'm almost scared about Tonight. Hand the Jets a golden opportunity and they ALWAYS fuck it all up. They've done that throughout their history. BUT, if they win? You have to start to think about the Jets potentially winning the division....