• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2024 NFL Draft General Discussion

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'm quite curious if there will be a trade prior to Thursday Night. A team like Denver or Minnesota trading with Arizona to ensure they get a QB, but I think they want to see who Washington takes before trades happen. If Washington takes Drake Maye, and Minnesota likes Maye then that could rule them out. Then again, it could be a race between Denver & Minnesota to trade up for JJ McCarthy.

no reason to go early
no one's going to move until they see who washington picks, new england won't even know if they want to stick and pick (reportedly) until they know who washington takes

sounds like teams that are trading up are big on only certain QBs so if Washington or New England take their guys then the trades won't happen the way we maybe expect right now

Simba

Staff Member
no reason to go early
no one's going to move until they see who washington picks, new england won't even know if they want to stick and pick (reportedly) until they know who washington takes

sounds like teams that are trading up are big on only certain QBs so if Washington or New England take their guys then the trades won't happen the way we maybe expect right now
QB rumors are wild right now. Saw today that NE wants Daniels and could be convinced to move back if he’s gone and take a shot at Penix or Nix later in the 1st. But hey, smokescreen season.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Someone that likes Kool-Aid, talk to me about Kool-Aid (accepting drink or player discussions). I don’t hate him but I want to see what I might be missing since he’s been a popular mock choice for the Ravens. I have him more of a 2nd round grade.

yeah ive got him on that borderline late 1st/early 2nd type grade range
im not in love with him - feels safe that he'll be at least OK as an outside CB at the next level but doesnt have that many standout qualities vs other guys projected in that range - would be pretty underwhelmed by that selection if he's the guy at 30 tbh

Simba

Staff Member
yeah ive got him on that borderline late 1st/early 2nd type grade range
im not in love with him - feels safe that he'll be at least OK as an outside CB at the next level but doesnt have that many standout qualities vs other guys projected in that range - would be pretty underwhelmed by that selection if he's the guy at 30 tbh
Exactly where I’m at on him. Just feels more like a double than a home run. Not always a bad thing but just feels a bit blah to me.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Will teams learn anything from the 2021 NFL Draft? QBs went 1-2-3 and so far, only 1 is with his current team and he's not the once in a lifetime prospect he was made out to be. If QBs go 1-2-3, maybe 4 it will show teams will continue to show teams haven't learned anything. 2020 was the last good QB Draft, and the only good QB drafted after 2020 has been Mr. Irrelevant, Brock Purdy.

2020:
1st Pick - Joe Burrow: Super Bowl Appearance, Pro Bowl, 5 Playoff Wins, Signed 2nd Contract
5th Pick - Tua Tagovailoa: Led Miami to Playoffs Last Season
6th Pick - Justin Herbert: Signed 2nd Contract, Holds NFL Passing Records
26th Pick - Jordan Love: Led Green Bay to Win over Dallas in Wild Card Round. 1st 7 Seed to win in New NFL Playoff Format
53rd Pick - Jalen Hurts: Super Bowl Appearance, 2X Pro Bowl, Most Rushing TDs by QB in Single Season, Signed 2nd Contract

2021:
1st Pick - Trevor Lawrence: 1 Playoff Win, Largest Playoff Comeback in NFL History. Still with Jacksonville.
2nd Pick - Zach Wilson: Traded to Denver Broncos.
3rd Pick - Trey Lance: Traded to Dallas Cowboys. Replaced by Mr. Irrelevant of 2022 Draft.
11th Pick - Justin Fields: Traded to Pittsburgh Steelers.
15th Pick - Mac Jones: Traded to Jacksonville

2022:
20th Pick - Kenny Pickett: Traded to Philadelphia
262nd Pick - Brock Purdy: Super Bowl Appearance, Pro Bowl. Highest Passer Rating among all QBs in 2023.

idk what point you're making lol - what less do you think they should have learned form 2021... dont draft zach wilson and trey lance (i.e. small school guys who dont actually show a ton of good QB play)
teams are gonna take swings on QBs

hard to say that the Jags don't think Trevor Lawrence was worth it
CJ Stroud's a massive hit for the Texans and we'll see what happens with Young and Richardson as the other two top 5 picks from last year

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’ve seen the plays being taken off but Worthy has the same thing on tape and I’ve heard it may be the way the offense at Texas was being ran. Possibly one side of the field type of reads for the QB.
Another thing I’ve heard regarding his attitude is that he is diabetic and doesn’t have it under control so he can be abrasive at times. However, with Mandrews on the team I think we may be equipped to handle that situation.
As for Bishop I can definitely see him going before 130. I like his game.

a lot of those spread college offences run stuff like that - they dont do a lot of WR subbing so they let guys on the opposite side of the field take plays off basically

only seen the diabetes stuff recently from some scouts and think the fact that guys are still saying that shit when Andrews is doing what he does is a bit stupid

when there's character stuff reported (like Adonai and Jermaine Burton), hard to speculate what's actually going on and so hard to factor that in

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I'll go on record in saying that I think the WR need is a bit overblown personally. Would love to add a guy and wouldn't be mad if it's round 1 or round 2, but there's quality all throughout the draft and I wouldn't feel pressured to get one early if the board didn't shake out that way.

I'm not saying they should at all costs pick by position, but the 1st two picks scream OL (to all but ensure a day 1 starter) and CB (outside in particular is thin) if you get lucky enough. Not necessarily in order of course.

i just think the value at WR in R2 is gonna be so high unless they all fly off the board (which they might)
not sure CB makes sense in R2 given who might be available... feels to me more like a R1 or wait type position group this year

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Exactly where I’m at on him. Just feels more like a double than a home run. Not always a bad thing but just feels a bit blah to me.

ironically doubles are good at the end of R1
not sure i see him as that safe - i think the floor is somewhat decent but i dont think the floor is good enough to overlook some far higher-ceiling guys with much better athletic and play-making ability... he's not an exemplary athlete, he's not a major play-maker... feels hard to justify but i guess at 30 you may well not have many better choices...

rossihunter2

Staff Member
QB rumors are wild right now. Saw today that NE wants Daniels and could be convinced to move back if he’s gone and take a shot at Penix or Nix later in the 1st. But hey, smokescreen season.

All I know is what I can see and I can’t imagine these teams turning down drake maye if they’re happy to draft Jayden…

Some of the buzz on maye falling feels a little like some of the buzz on Stroud last year too - some ppl are convinced and yet I look at the tape and I don’t see what these people describe

Simba

Staff Member
i just think the value at WR in R2 is gonna be so high unless they all fly off the board (which they might)
not sure CB makes sense in R2 given who might be available... feels to me more like a R1 or wait type position group this year
I can agree with that. Round 2 seems to be the sweet spot for WR. Think round 1 obviously informs our direction there. I’m hard pressed to believe we don’t hit OL in the 1st 2 rounds just because the board stacks so easily there, but obviously they could be thinking completely differently.

Simba

Staff Member
All I know is what I can see and I can’t imagine these teams turning down drake maye if they’re happy to draft Jayden…

Some of the buzz on maye falling feels a little like some of the buzz on Stroud last year too - some ppl are convinced and yet I look at the tape and I don’t see what these people describe
I’m personally a little less high on Maye than maybe most, but not to the extent I wouldn’t take him top 4. There’s enough there.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I'll go on record in saying that I think the WR need is a bit overblown personally. Would love to add a guy and wouldn't be mad if it's round 1 or round 2, but there's quality all throughout the draft and I wouldn't feel pressured to get one early if the board didn't shake out that way.

I'm not saying they should at all costs pick by position, but the 1st two picks scream OL (to all but ensure a day 1 starter) and CB (outside in particular is thin) if you get lucky enough. Not necessarily in order of course.
I don’t see wr as a first round need at all. I joke about Legette but if a Brian Thomas jr fell to 30 and they decided that was their guy, I certainly wouldn’t hate it.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
a lot of those spread college offences run stuff like that - they dont do a lot of WR subbing so they let guys on the opposite side of the field take plays off basically

only seen the diabetes stuff recently from some scouts and think the fact that guys are still saying that shit when Andrews is doing what he does is a bit stupid

when there's character stuff reported (like Adonai and Jermaine Burton), hard to speculate what's actually going on and so hard to factor that in
Fucking Tim Williams man…

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
He screams George Pickens on a lesser level to me. Going to be moments where he looks like the best WR in the league and other moments where you're going to be so frustrated. Don't think he'll have quite the high highs or low lows though.
I feel like if he gets to KC and they take him, it is game over for the league, if any team can get him to perform at his best, it is them.

I oddly feel like the diabetes thing moves him up my board a bit as it may be a bit of an explanation for some of his actions and the inconsistencies on film. Of course we would need a good interview to cut through a lot of the hoopla out there on him which none of us have the opportunity to do. Definitely going to be either a perennial pro bowler or completely flame out to me, definition of boom or bust.