• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2024 NFL Draft General Discussion

Simba

Staff Member
starting to get a general sense for the class and how i feel about certain positions

WR and OL are looking pretty strong

DL and EDGE looking pretty sparse (especially DL)

lots of RBs with interesting qualities, but not an inspiring class overall
DB is supposedly pretty strong as well. Lines up pretty well for our bigger needs. I'd invest heavy into this OL group on the surface right now.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
DB is supposedly pretty strong as well. Lines up pretty well for our bigger needs. I'd invest heavy into this OL group on the surface right now.

havent got to the safeties but yeah there's a bunch of CBs who i like already

OL is cool for sure - not sure about the fit of a lot of them at the top but we'll see... we seem to prefer powerful rugged OL generally but then our only two picks at OL in the first 2 rounds of the draft since KO in 2012 have been Ronnie and Linderbaum who were more athletes and technicians

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Just looking at this class, I'd find it hard to believe that a WR won't be close to BPA at some point and possibly early too... i dont expect us to invest heavily at WR given the 3 1st round picks expended at the position since 2019 but if Odell's gone then maybe...

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
havent got to the safeties but yeah there's a bunch of CBs who i like already

OL is cool for sure - not sure about the fit of a lot of them at the top but we'll see... we seem to prefer powerful rugged OL generally but then our only two picks at OL in the first 2 rounds of the draft since KO in 2012 have been Ronnie and Linderbaum who were more athletes and technicians
perfect year to draft Ronnie's replacement, then

rossihunter2

Staff Member
perfect year to draft Ronnie's replacement, then

hard to replace Ronnie with a very late 1st round pick, he was the 6th pick in the draft for a reason
then again, right now we're not looking for all-pro level play at LT, just solid consistency so maybe we can find that

positional versatility would help too so that if Ronnie's still good in 2024, we can play him and the new guy together at the same time

Troy Fautanu seems like the prime guy but i have a feeling he'll be gone well before we pick...

there's a few guys with RT pedigree muddled in there too, side swaps arent always the simplest thing on the OL - part of who we're interested in will be about how we feel about morgan moses, zeitler etc too...

and it depends, also, if we're willing to do some developing or if we feel like we need someone ready to go in 2024

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
hard to replace Ronnie with a very late 1st round pick, he was the 6th pick in the draft for a reason
then again, right now we're not looking for all-pro level play at LT, just solid consistency so maybe we can find that

positional versatility would help too so that if Ronnie's still good in 2024, we can play him and the new guy together at the same time

Troy Fautanu seems like the prime guy but i have a feeling he'll be gone well before we pick...

there's a few guys with RT pedigree muddled in there too, side swaps arent always the simplest thing on the OL - part of who we're interested in will be about how we feel about morgan moses, zeitler etc too...

and it depends, also, if we're willing to do some developing or if we feel like we need someone ready to go in 2024
he definitely won't be replaced but maybe play guard next season and replace him in 2025.

Simba

Staff Member

only 54 underclassmen declared + 4 more who finished their degree requirements

this is gonna be a really small class i think - that NIL money is making a difference

I like it. The best underclassmen are still going to come out. Those more fringy types of guys are sticking around and developing more. Glad kids aren’t forced into declaring for the league when they aren’t ready because they need to make money.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
A downside is that day 3 may become consistently lower value though
That's one way to look at it. It also could be just the opposite. As these fringe players say in college and develop more the top 3 rounds get stronger while pushing the players that are typically drafted on day 2 down to day 3.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
That's one way to look at it. It also could be just the opposite. As these fringe players say in college and develop more the top 3 rounds get stronger while pushing the players that are typically drafted on day 2 down to day 3.
True it only just hurts this year but in the long run the draft could be much deeper not only adiing more experience but with players transferring willy nilly more maturation/different coaching.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
True it only just hurts this year but in the long run the draft could be much deeper not only adiing more experience but with players transferring willy nilly more maturation/different coaching.
exactly my thought. I do believe the draft will be much deeper this year than it was last year on day 3.

Simba

Staff Member

this is gonna potentially be a seriously thin draft
last one of these was 2021 where it felt like the board kind of disappeared early in the 4th round

Last year too. My board was wiped heading into the early portions of day 3.

LSURavenFan

Veteran
From a player standpoint, it's a benefit.

If Jayden Daniels declared last year, he would have been a day 3 pick. Probably would never see the field. Going back to school (likely due to NIL) has him positioned to be a first rounder.

I'm really surprised JJ Mccarthy declared. I thought he could use an other year. I don't see him as a first rounder, but that's just me. Feels a bit like Will Levis where it's more projection than production.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Last year too. My board was wiped heading into the early portions of day 3.

ive lost my board from last year so cant remember what it looked like but i remember all the guys i liked disappearing off the board before the trenton simpson pick

a few guys slipped into day 3, especially at CB and a few notable guys that i still liked but yeah not much

but 2021 was thinner than that i think... this group might be thinner than that one