• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: @ Bengals

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Every single team with a top 15 QB has SOMETHING that you can look at and go "well he has that to help him succeed" because it turns out even when you give Mahomes, who is the best QB in football by a healthy margin, nothing, then he cant make nothing into something. The Ravens have had a top 5 OLine and a top 3 TE (and the top TE room in football) for about 3-4 years in a row now. The Eagles gave themselves the best set of weapons and best OLine in football. Dallas and the Chargers loaded up on WRs (and Dallas may have one of the best Gs of all time on their roster). Allen has Diggs and a solid OLine. Even Stafford looked good, but not at that level, when given a solid top 5 TE and some good WRs but note he was given good and looked a tier below so you could easily argue if you gave him what the above had he would look like them. Tua has 2 of the best WRs in football and a good OLine to pair with a very good RB.

Burrow has taken a below average OLine, mediocre at best TE play, poor RB play, and 2 great WRs, and looked better than all of the above, except for Mahomes. I do not think what we are talking about him having is better than most of the above, except for Stafford and Mahomes.
I thought it’s been pretty general consensus that Burrows had the better surrounding cast than Lamar his whole career, factor in Lamar’s cast is always getting hurt too. When Lamar threw 36 TDs and 6 INTs his best WRs were rookie Hollywood and Seth Roberts.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Has our line really been top 5? Sure doesn’t play like it sometimes. There was one year where it was being ranked below Burrows in certain lists
It was certainly stronger last year. Obviously Stanley being out will impact the Oline. In the early Lamar years, like '18-'19, it was certainly a strength.

Tank

Hall of Famer
Because he’s a smug privileged overrated prick who has benefited from our injuries immensely. The common narrative is he’s been to the super bowl and the AFCCG twice, well he really should have been eliminated by Tyler Huntley then he’d be getting some of the treatment Josh Allen is getting now.

In the Browns game there were two jump ball passes that Higgins and Chase couldn’t quite pull in, but they’d have been amazing catches, but if they did and they won the narrative would be how Burrow is a stone cold killer
I don't like his choice of cigars, and he is an asshole. lol Other than that he's a pretty darn good QB.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I thought it’s been pretty general consensus that Burrows had the better surrounding cast than Lamar his whole career, factor in Lamar’s cast is always getting hurt too. When Lamar threw 36 TDs and 6 INTs his best WRs were rookie Hollywood and Seth Roberts.

Lamar is also getting hurt though which is a mark against him. The Ravens have been considered to have a top 5 offensive basically Lamar took over as a start. Mark Andrews has been a beast that entire time as well. The Bengals may have better WRs but this is not 7 on 7. You have to judge everything in order to judge who has had the better supporting cast and Burrow has not look a little better, where arguing over whether having a top 5 OLine is more or less important than top 5 weapons, but has looked far better and has held up far better.

The thing is though you can say the exact same thing of every single QB that is not Mahomes or Burrow which is why they definitively top 2.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar is also getting hurt though which is a mark against him. The Ravens have been considered to have a top 5 offensive basically Lamar took over as a start. Mark Andrews has been a beast that entire time as well. The Bengals may have better WRs but this is not 7 on 7. You have to judge everything in order to judge who has had the better supporting cast and Burrow has not look a little better, where arguing over whether having a top 5 OLine is more or less important than top 5 weapons, but has looked far better and has held up far better.

The thing is though you can say the exact same thing of every single QB that is not Mahomes or Burrow which is why they definitively top 2.
I can’t wait until Lamar wins a super bowl and people still say Burrow is better.

When Lamar actually plays all he does is win games. Yea agree his injury status has hurt him, but not for anything Burrow keeps missing camp as well and that’s the big excuse for their slow starts. Guess we’ll just have to see. But I don’t think Burrow would have carried this team to the 1 seed in the AFC the year our RBs all went down like Lamar did.

Simba

Staff Member
Curious to see how they approach the OL this week. With Stanley and Linderbaum down, you now have...

Mekari, Simpson, Mustipher, Zeitler, Moses as the starting lineup

With Mekari at T, we have no backup C option. Kyle Fuller, who just signed to the PS today, might get the elevation already. Faalele is active for sure and then I guess Cleveland would get the nod over Sala.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Curious to see how they approach the OL this week. With Stanley and Linderbaum down, you now have...

Mekari, Simpson, Mustipher, Zeitler, Moses as the starting lineup

With Mekari at T, we have no backup C option. Kyle Fuller, who just signed to the PS today, might get the elevation already. Faalele is active for sure and then I guess Cleveland would get the nod over Sala.
Either has to be Fuller, or Mekari kicks to Center if Mustipher gets hurt, and they put Faalele at LT. Wouldn't seem ideal though.

Simba

Staff Member
Either has to be Fuller, or Mekari kicks to Center if Mustipher gets hurt, and they put Faalele at LT. Wouldn't seem ideal though.
Yeah and this is a team that prefers one switch as opposed to two, so can't imagine they start Mekari at T knowing he would be the top option to slide to C. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

The other thing is that while I do believe Sala has a lot of potential, he's clearly not ready and I think they see that too and prefer to keep him away from the field for as long as possible. So likely adding Mustipher and another OL regardless.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I can’t wait until Lamar wins a super bowl and people still say Burrow is better.

When Lamar actually plays all he does is win games. Yea agree his injury status has hurt him, but not for anything Burrow keeps missing camp as well and that’s the big excuse for their slow starts. Guess we’ll just have to see. But I don’t think Burrow would have carried this team to the 1 seed in the AFC the year our RBs all went down like Lamar did.
Wins are not and never have been a QB stat anymore than they are a G stat or a K stat. Would you say Butker is a better than Tucker because he won a Super Bowl last year? If Purdy wins a Super Bowl that does not automatically make him a top 5 QB with only other active Super Bowl winners being ahead of him? Wins are a crutch stat used by people who do not actually know how to analyze a position so they fallback on the thing that means they do not need to know anything about what makes a player good.

Burrow is better because he is more accurate (both short and long), makes better decisions, is better at reading a defense, has a quicker release, and all of that outweighs Lamar being far more mobile. If we wanted to talk about Lamar vs Hurts or Lamar vs Herbert or some of the people who want to say Lamar vs Tua, for other spots in the top 10 QBs, then that is a fair debate but Joe Burrow is no doubt the second QB in football and there is a gap between 2 and everyone else.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
If I’m being honest, I don’t feel good about this one, with Ronnie and Tyler going down well we lost what made our OL good, those guys are studs and we were average everywhere else, and even with those guys our OL was raw ass, And we’re clearly still figuring things out on offense and I don’t see how we have a better time of it against cinci, and I don’t see how our secondary woes don’t absolutely do us in against cinci.

Whatever, I didn’t feel good about the chiefs in 2021 week 2.
I didn't feel good about the Patriots in 2012 Week 3, nor the 2021 Chiefs Week 2 game. I feel the same way about this one too.

Tucker drills a game winner, like he did against the Pats in 2012. Ravens win 31-28... same score as the that Week 3 Patriots game.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Well a) he beat Tyler Huntley, because Tyler Huntley wasn't a good enough QB (or person who carries the football) to beat him. And spoiler alert... I've seen Lamar in the playoffs. Joe beats him too.
And most importantly, b) 1000% of people who watch NFL games would rather have Burrow than Lamar. That includes EDC, who would cream his pants to trade Lamar straight up for Burrow, and Lamar's own mother, who would do the same.

Joe isn't the perfect QB. Far from it. He also does a lot of winning, puts up great stats, and is extremely clutch in the postseason and has beaten many elite QBs in the playoffs. Some multiple times.
From a QB perspective, he's the "box checker" in the modern NFL.
Lamar has had some very good "statistical" games in the playoffs and in many instances we lost due to the defense more than the offense. He's also had some bad games in the playoffs, but no he hasn't had the success that Burrow has had. He has hasn't had the wide receivers that Burrow has had either.

I like Burrow as a QB, but I don't think it's as easy to decide who is better between the two.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I want to pummel Burrow so bad he doesn't want to show up for game 2 against us. Yeah, it's a fantasy, but I'm allowed.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I have a bad feeling about this one.

Our pass rush looked almost decent vs rookie QB and a backup O line.
Our secondary didn't have much of an opposition but Woods still caught quite a few. And we lost Marcus.
Our O line looked terrible but adjusted well vs pretty great Texans front. Too bad our best two linemen are out.
Our second best player on offense is out again.
Bengals will be pissed off after that ugly loss vs Browns and they are 100% healthy, of course.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Wins are not and never have been a QB stat anymore than they are a G stat or a K stat. Would you say Butker is a better than Tucker because he won a Super Bowl last year? If Purdy wins a Super Bowl that does not automatically make him a top 5 QB with only other active Super Bowl winners being ahead of him? Wins are a crutch stat used by people who do not actually know how to analyze a position so they fallback on the thing that means they do not need to know anything about what makes a player good.

Burrow is better because he is more accurate (both short and long), makes better decisions, is better at reading a defense, has a quicker release, and all of that outweighs Lamar being far more mobile. If we wanted to talk about Lamar vs Hurts or Lamar vs Herbert or some of the people who want to say Lamar vs Tua, for other spots in the top 10 QBs, then that is a fair debate but Joe Burrow is no doubt the second QB in football and there is a gap between 2 and everyone else.
Well you can tell that to the people that use Burrow’s playoff wins as rationale over Lamar, we see a measurable drop in win % when Lamar goes down. Wins are not solely a QB stat but clearly, especially in todays NFL the QB play has the largest influence on wins.

Maybe it’s because I’ve watched every game the two have played and I see the ridiculous catches these guys make for him, and the better passing scheme in action, but I simply do not agree with this gap declaration nor is it settled science.

And Lamar cannot be evaluated as a standard QB, he’s a ball control weapon in the run game and makes big plays to open up the passing game and run game himself.

You’ll probably just chastise him but Colin Cowherd makes it simple, Lamar wins 70% of his games, he’s elite

Last edited:

Sooky

Pro Bowler
Well you can tell that to the people that use Burrow’s playoff wins as rationale over Lamar, we see a measurable drop in win % when Lamar goes down. Wins are not solely a QB stat but clearly, especially in todays NFL the QB play has the largest influence on wins.

Maybe it’s because I’ve watched every game the two have played and I see the ridiculous catches these guys make for him, and the better passing scheme in action, but I simply do not agree with this gap declaration nor is it settled science.
I don’t understand it either, Burrow has arguably the best WR room but has been 2nd in the division behind the Ravens each year until Lamar went down. You can point to the completion percentage but Lamar does not have nearly the talent Burrow does (until maybe this year). The Ravens haven’t been a successful screen/short passing team with Roman and you can argue Lamar’s completion percentage could be 3% higher if they incorporated more of these plays early on.

That’s why I usually look towards PPG for QB and efficiency on those drives since the Ravens have been so run heavy. A lot of those touchdowns go to the running backs since that’s where the talent and scheme was built for.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I have a bad feeling about this one.

Our pass rush looked almost decent vs rookie QB and a backup O line.
Our secondary didn't have much of an opposition but Woods still caught quite a few. And we lost Marcus.
Our O line looked terrible but adjusted well vs pretty great Texans front. Too bad our best two linemen are out.
Our second best player on offense is out again.
Bengals will be pissed off after that ugly loss vs Browns and they are 100% healthy, of course.
It's reasons like this why I think we're getting smoked in this game unfortunately. Luckily we're getting the road division games out of the way early in the season.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lamar has had some very good "statistical" games in the playoffs and in many instances we lost due to the defense more than the offense. He's also had some bad games in the playoffs, but no he hasn't had the success that Burrow has had. He has hasn't had the wide receivers that Burrow has had either.

I like Burrow as a QB, but I don't think it's as easy to decide who is better between the two.
Wish Tannehill threw 3 INTs when we played them