• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Defence, The Passing Game and Closing it Out @ the Bengals

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The fact that we had posters in here saying it’s done, Lamar is he who he is and can’t pass is just wild. Shameful display honestly, we have a generational talent at QB, everyone is gonna have haters but certainly it should be a very small minority (<2%) when talking about actual Ravens fans

way too many people still trying to downplay his talent as a passer
the things he can do with his arm angles, the velocity he generates with his release, the way he aggressively sees the field vertically, his touch and timing over the middle... all elite QB qualities

he's still inconsistent on deep balls, still doesnt throw the ball away enough, and occasionally lazy with his footwork on short throws outside - but as a passer, he really isnt missing much at all

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
way too many people still trying to downplay his talent as a passer
the things he can do with his arm angles, the velocity he generates with his release, the way he aggressively sees the field vertically, his touch and timing over the middle... all elite QB qualities

he's still inconsistent on deep balls, still doesnt throw the ball away enough, and occasionally lazy with his footwork on short throws outside - but as a passer, he really isnt missing much at all
It’s so refreshing having a QB dominate the Bengals. Everyone knows I loved Flacco but he always played his worst against them, with unlucky refs and drops hurting the TD/INT ratio

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
that's a great play
but not what i was talking about - hollywood never made catches in traffic like the zay one - he would make difficult or even acrobatic catches but not with defenders around him

he was a great route runner, awesome vs press coverage off the release, and almost impossible to defend on posts and comebacks - but he wasnt splitting a bracket and going up to high-point a ball in traffic - that was one of his weaknesses (played small at the catch-point when contested)
I don't know, man. That catch against the Titans might be in contention for an all timer with the Ravens.

Tank

Hall of Famer
was hidden behind the sloppiness in the first game (and all the injuries) - but Lamar found a rhythm in that 2nd half too

he has always been a great passer when he's got a clean enough pocket - the first half vs the texans he was in a blender, but this week he was basically in an armchair - you saw it with a bunch of plays where he was able to get through his progressions and pick apart the bengals defence

but a nice little wrinkle this week was that he was seeing the blitz well - because we were more spread out and because the 5 man protections were working well, he was able to read and adjust to blitzes much better and find the holes in the zone behind it
He's definitely matured in his play. For me it's all about consistency. When you play the best teams, or in tournament play the mistakes are magnified 1000%.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
you know what
you're right - i forgot about that titans grab

but playoff hollywood and regular season hollywood were seemingly two completely different players lol
I thought he got too much crap overall, but he was 100% a different breed in the playoffs. He really showed up big on the brightest stages.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
I had completely forgot Orlando Brown signed with the Bengals. I’m sure the mentioned it on the broadcast , but I was watching without sound. How did he hold up? Best OL for Cinci?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I thought he got too much crap overall, but he was 100% a different breed in the playoffs. He really showed up big on the brightest stages.

he got way too much crap
i think bateman had/has a chance to be better
and i think zay has a great chance to be better

but he's still probably the best WR we've ever drafted...

he was a really good player in an offence where he was critically important, but it didnt show off his best traits - he just had a few games where the sky was falling down and it really tainted his image

i appreciated everything he brought to the team - but i would say that the titans grab was atypical for his play generally as a raven (albeit those playoff games he always delivered even when no one else did)

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Not going to say much.

Just want everybody to take a victory lap for the Oline. They held up quite well without their two best lineman. Goes to show how critical depth is in this league.

Also Geno Stone continues to undervalued.
I'm glad you brought that up. There's one man who I want to give a shout out because our OL, for the most part, has been at the very least solid during his tenure: Joe D'Alessandris.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
Anyone else watch this live and just start laughing cuz we definitely got away with one. Horrible call

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I had completely forgot Orlando Brown signed with the Bengals. I’m sure the mentioned it on the broadcast , but I was watching without sound. How did he hold up? Best OL for Cinci?

think he was probably their best OL for the 2nd straight week

hard to really tell in pass pro because the ball was coming out in 2 seconds flat

definitely made a few holes in the run game

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Anyone else watch this live and just start laughing cuz we definitely got away with one. Horrible call

this and the hands to the face that saved lamar from another fumble were both bullshit

but the bengals also got away with a block in the back on the punt return, and two bullshit holds in the 2 minute drill when we were driving at the end of the first half

refs were shocking - but it mostly evened out

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

this and the hands to the face that saved lamar from another fumble were both bullshit

but the bengals also got away with a block in the back on the punt return, and two bullshit holds in the 2 minute drill when we were driving at the end of the first half

refs were shocking - but it mostly evened out
Given all the bullshit calls we've gotten and non-calls the opposing team got away with, I'm glad we got some bad calls in our favor.