• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Hamilton, The Injuries and The Self-Inflicted Wounds

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
all the guys who WERE NOT available by the end of this game:

RB 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Starting WR
Starting LT
Starting C

EDGE 1, 2, 4, 5
Starting CB
Starting Nickel
Starting FS

overcame it well mostly - but it's tough having to constantly overcome injuries rather than just playing your best guys
I’m still shocked at how well the line has held up. Bright spot in all the injury issues

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor

Tank

Hall of Famer
The refs did us no favors and we have a crazy number of injuries, but at the end of the day we lost because of poor ball security, poor offensive execution and a baffling lack of situational awareness. It’s maddening.

But dam that Hambone is a beast! And the D is really humming even with key pieces missing. It’s a shame we wasted such a great effort.

Tank

Hall of Famer
At this point we know who he is with the ball and I doubt it’s changing. Positive side of that is he can steal some first downs with his legs, negative side he has games where he can’t hold onto the ball
We’re not going anywhere until we get some consistency.

BoredMarine13

Ravens Ring of Honor
We’re not going anywhere until we get some consistency.
Would be nice, but at this point in Lamar’s career what you see is what you get and it’s not changing. But that’s still good enough to win a superbowl if the team gets hot. 2012 was certainly all over the place and then Flacco turned reincarnate Joe Montana. Maybe Lamar can do the same

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
W

You hit it on the head Tank. When was the last time Lamar has put on a good performance for a string of games? He's consistent at being inconsistent. Has all the tools to be one of the best but just continually making dumb errors.
Do you think Lamar played badly today? He had a couple of boneheaded plays - trying to tuck it with bodies all around, and not throwing it away late - but 101 yds rushing with 2 TDs and 71% completions (which would have been 74% if Likely had caught the ball that hit his chest, and 77% if Zay hadn't been tackled on a route) is a pretty good game.

i just wish Monken had called a few more passes.

RavenRockaRolla

Practice Squad
W

You hit it on the head Tank. When was the last time Lamar has put on a good performance for a string of games? He's consistent at being inconsistent. Has all the tools to be one of the best but just continually making dumb errors.
The - 2 Turnovers was probably the difference, however to hit Flowers with 8 passes for an average of 6 yards per catch is not passing the ball downfield. He'll probably haul in a four yarder for an 80 yard touchdown, but thats not arming the ball in there.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
It’s been a long time since I’ve been so pissed over a loss. The whole team played a careless game and the coaching staff was pathetic.

Bengals hangover for sure.

Simba

Staff Member
Do you think Lamar played badly today? He had a couple of boneheaded plays - trying to tuck it with bodies all around, and not throwing it away late - but 101 yds rushing with 2 TDs and 71% completions (which would have been 74% if Likely had caught the ball that hit his chest, and 77% if Zay hadn't been tackled on a route) is a pretty good game.

I think he’s been effective and efficient from a stat book standpoint but the mental mistakes that don’t show there (aside from the fumbles) that are the bigger issue. Didn’t really have that issue last week but his decision making outside of the passing game in weeks 1 and now 3 has been questionable.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
The - 2 Turnovers was probably the difference, however to hit Flowers with 8 passes for an average of 6 yards per catch is not passing the ball downfield. He'll probably haul in a four yarder for an 80 yard touchdown, but thats not arming the ball in there.
The offense has gone from run heavy with deep shots into short passing and this team cannot break a big play with screens/dump offs. I swear this is the only team that cant. Zay is electric, but there was no challenge down the field. Not sure how wet the conditions were.

Now the team to be back into its injury riddled self from years before. Lamar had a bad fumble and Drake had a bad fumble. This game was still easily won with that facemask or PI.

Nevertheless, still near the top of the AFC and can make adjustments. Most teams have a couple of these each year. Only thing we can hope for is some good injury news.

No, I think he did ok. I'm not blaming this loss on him although his mistakes were costly. My point is great QBs are not consistently making the same errors game after game. I hated the playcalling when we had the lead to finish the game. I told my wife we would lose we gave them too much time.

Anyways I love my Ravens I just want them to be great not just mediocre. It sucks but injuries have kept us from this potential. Hopefully we can string some wins and get healthy-ish

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
My point is great QBs are not consistently making the same errors game after game.
There are different ways to be a great QB. Brady or Manning wouldn't keep making the same mental error, but they would consistently fail to escape from pressure or maximize scrambling opportunities game after game. Their lack of athleticism was accepted as part of their game but why do Lamar's occassional boneheaded plays mean that he can't be great?

He's not there yet but, if he does become great, he was always going to do it differently from the traditional QB template.