• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Biggest Needs and Prospects to Address Them

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Lets get some opinions and explanations on our biggest needs. For me, our biggest needs, based on what position brings the biggest impact, are in this order:

1. Center/Guard
2. Pass rushing DT or a 3 down DT
3. RB
4. FS
5. Edge rusher
6. ILB

Interior OL is simply the weakest spot on the team and with a run first offense it’s just unacceptable

When our defense can’t get off the field and goes through dry spells, it almost always comes down to pass rush, and specifically the interior, we never fluster a qb from the front and occasionally we make shit QBs look really solid because of the clean pockets we give

Lamar with a superstar RB would be special, best thing we could do for lamar

FS because weddle is ass, so far down this list because I’m an idiot and for some reason would be willing to ride with Elliott or use FA, only exception is if deionte Thompson is available, or if we manage to land Lukas denis in round 3.

Edge rusher because you should ALWAYS take at least one edge rusher every year, and if bowser and Timmy and Judon aren’t the guys then we’re fucked

ILB because I’m not certain we wanna bring Mosley back and I am personally not on board with giving him what he’s gonna be looking for.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
For needs, I'd say pass rush is the biggest need, followed by interior linemen. I wouldn't mind grabbing an ILB stud, since Mosley is probably going to get over paid by someone. I like Mosley, but he might not have a team friendly deal. We definitely need a safety. Keep Weddle another year and let him coach up a young guy, and slowly start giving the young guy more snaps over time.

For ILB, if we could get a 2nd for trading Flacco or trade down, then we can grab Quaterman from the Hurricanes for our ILB spot. He's an absolute playmaker and a leader. The way he's always in the right place at the right time reminds me a bit of Ray. Not saying he'll be quite on Ray's level, but he has some of the same characteristics.

For safety, Taylor Rapp is a versatile, smart player that I think will be a solid starter in the NFL.

For RB, Gaskin seems to have great vision. Not a game breaker, but he should be very productive. Him and Edwards would be a good combo in a run heavy offense.

For pass rusher, Kenny Willekes looks like he's something special and is under the radar of most people. Big 10 lineman of the year, he has great leverage, a good burst, and a solid bend. He's also one of the better hand fighters among edge rushers this year.

I haven't really looked at the interior o-linemen yet.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Haven’t looked extensively into any draft prospects yet, but off of straight need I’d say probably in this order for me -

Pass rush
Interior Oline
Safety
Dline
RB
ILB
WR
CB

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
So WR is not a need? What world do y'all live on?
Yes WR for me is a need as I listed, and we need to draft one this year, but I think that it’s more of a need in 2 years. We will either resign Brown or I believe we will sign another receiver this offseason, going in with quite possibly this same top 4 guys is fine with me.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we resign Brown then we have Brown, Crabtree, Snead, Moore, as well as Hurst and Andrews as TEs. We have guys that can get the job done. We don't need a top tier number 1 guy to have an efficient offense. I'm much more worried about our passrush and interior o-line.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
2019 Ruggs III or Jeudy. Although I'd like to see Hollywood with Lamar.
OL, Pass rusher and interior DL are priorities. Henry is in his last year, Pierce aswell and Williams has regressed. Zadarius might be gone, too many question marks regarding interior pass rush. 3down DL is a must.
Lb, S, Rb depending on how FA plays out

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
2019 Ruggs III or Jeudy. Although I'd like to see Hollywood with Lamar.
OL, Pass rusher and interior DL are priorities. Henry is in his last year, Pierce aswell and Williams has regressed. Zadarius might be gone, too many question marks regarding interior pass rush. 3down DL is a must.
Lb, S, Rb depending on how FA plays out
Ruggs and Jeudy aren't eligible before 2020 draft.

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Yes WR for me is a need as I listed, and we need to draft one this year, but I think that it’s more of a need in 2 years. We will either resign Brown or I believe we will sign another receiver this offseason, going in with quite possibly this same top 4 guys is fine with me.
Even if that was the case, WR don't usually contribute year one. And with Lamar under center it's an absolute need to have a physical receiver on the boundary that can win jumpballs and one on one matchups. Crabtree is not that guy and Brown is not the most ideal outside receiver (and I doubt we keep him anyway). We shouldn't be content with just having a problem fixed and then move on. We should keep on providing options in this group and attack this weakness of ours just like we attacked the secondary weakness a year ago. The Steelers don't need to draft WR either, yet they do it every year and that's how they've kept their offense strong. Not saying pass rush and IOL aren't big needs, they may actually be bigger needs but ignoring the need for WR help will downright kill us.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
Even if that was the case, WR don't usually contribute year one. And with Lamar under center it's an absolute need to have a physical receiver on the boundary that can win jumpballs and one on one matchups. Crabtree is not that guy and Brown is not the most ideal outside receiver (and I doubt we keep him anyway). We shouldn't be content with just having a problem fixed and then move on. We should keep on providing options in this group and attack this weakness of ours just like we attacked the secondary weakness a year ago. The Steelers don't need to draft WR either, yet they do it every year and that's how they've kept their offense strong. Not saying pass rush and IOL aren't big needs, they may actually be bigger needs but ignoring the need for WR help will downright kill us.
Yes I agree with what we’re saying - which is why I said it was a need. And depending on who’s on the board when we’re on the clock I wouldn’t have any problem with taking a WR in the higher rounds.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Ruggs and Jeudy aren't eligible before 2020 draft.
Thanks for clarification, I got the dates messed up. I think to find a physical receiver is difficult, I'd be happy if decosta just drafts a capable WR who can produce right off the bat. Looking at our history it would be best to just draft a sure handed strong route runner.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

im with you man - we need young wide receiver talent that adds an element of energy and speed to the offence which is even more important with John Brown a free agent

the steelers are constantly retooling their receiving corps even when it looks stacked already - and it looks like they key in on guys with speed

2018 they draft a wr in the 2nd round (James Washington)
2017 they draft a wr in the 2nd round (Juju)
2015 they draft a wr in the 3rd round (Sammie Coates)
2014 they draft a wr in the 4th round (Martavis Bryant)
2013 they draft a wr in the 3rd round (Markus Wheaton)
2010 they draft a wr in the 3rd round (Emmanuel Sanders) - they also got antonio brown that year but im not counting that as an intended investment because it was a really late pick
2009 they draft a wr in the 3rd round (Mike Wallace)

so in 7 of the last 10 drafts they've put decent capital into their receiving corps

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
-Interior o-line
-Interior pass-rush
-Exterior pass-rush
-Safety (Elliott, COME ON DOWN?)
-RB (bye bye Collins?)
-WR
-ILB

ALI624

Pro Bowler
Wouldn’t be surprised if the draft goes:
1. WR
3. IOL
3c. Pass rusher(either)
4. Safety
5. RB

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
WR is kind of a “if one falls to us” deal for me. We clearly are gonna be a run heavy team, lots of 2 TE sets and the 2 possible studs we drafted are the focal point of the passing game, all WRs play third fiddle to the run game and TEs, so for now, Snead, crab, and Moore will be fine for me next year.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
And I think RB is a big need because when I watch gus and lamar all I can think is “damn, imagine if this was Damien Harris or Benny snell”