• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Biggest Needs and Prospects to Address Them

rossihunter2

Staff Member
WR is kind of a “if one falls to us” deal for me. We clearly are gonna be a run heavy team, lots of 2 TE sets and the 2 possible studs we drafted are the focal point of the passing game, all WRs play third fiddle to the run game and TEs, so for now, Snead, crab, and Moore will be fine for me next year.

i completely disagree lol - i'd be livid if we went into the year with just those 3 guys and lasley as our receiving corps even if lasley develops - just because we'll have a zone-read/RPO heavy offence doesnt mean we can ignore the passing game and if we've got no speed then the defence just creeps down towards the box and the DBs aren't scared of getting beat over the top so they come down to clamp on the shorter passes which leaves us with less running room and more players near the box as well as potentially more INTs because there's more defenders around...

and while moore has speed he's not scaring defenders downfield really or opening up space for other receivers
part of the reason snead has been so effective is because teams are doubling john brown in 3rd and long situations

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
im with you man - we need young wide receiver talent that adds an element of energy and speed to the offence which is even more important with John Brown a free agent

the steelers are constantly retooling their receiving corps even when it looks stacked already - and it looks like they key in on guys with speed

2018 they draft a wr in the 2nd round (James Washington)
2017 they draft a wr in the 2nd round (Juju)
2015 they draft a wr in the 3rd round (Sammie Coates)
2014 they draft a wr in the 4th round (Martavis Bryant)
2013 they draft a wr in the 3rd round (Markus Wheaton)
2010 they draft a wr in the 3rd round (Emmanuel Sanders) - they also got antonio brown that year but im not counting that as an intended investment because it was a really late pick
2009 they draft a wr in the 3rd round (Mike Wallace)

so in 7 of the last 10 drafts they've put decent capital into their receiving corps
And the Steelers have how many playoff wins since then? How many Super Bowls? Hardly anything? Only Regular season success is not something I care about and that’s all the Steelers are. I have no interest in following their game plan.

Taze

Practice Squad
And the Steelers have how many playoff wins since then? How many Super Bowls? Hardly anything? Only Regular season success is not something I care about and that’s all the Steelers are. I have no interest in following their game plan.
The Steelers consistently have one of the best offenses, we could definitely learn a thing or two from them about that side of the ball. Their downfall is they’re awful at indentifying defensive talent

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
i completely disagree lol - i'd be livid if we went into the year with just those 3 guys and lasley as our receiving corps even if lasley develops - just because we'll have a zone-read/RPO heavy offence doesnt mean we can ignore the passing game and if we've got no speed then the defence just creeps down towards the box and the DBs aren't scared of getting beat over the top so they come down to clamp on the shorter passes which leaves us with less running room and more players near the box as well as potentially more INTs because there's more defenders around...

and while moore has speed he's not scaring defenders downfield really or opening up space for other receivers
part of the reason snead has been so effective is because teams are doubling john brown in 3rd and long situations
Yet we will still be a run first offense, meaning this WR you’re asking for is nothing but a complementary piece, you wanna spend a first on a WR and likely reach for it when this 40+ carry a week team has no guards and MAYBE an average center and gus Edwards and ty Montgomery as the only RBs? Yeah I’m not looking at WR as something that needs a massive investment until that shit gets sorted out first.

And on top of that, a run heavy team needs a defense, with no starting FS and a likely need at ILB and basically no pass rush at all, that looks like a much bigger need as well.

When you’re starting a rebuild you need to build your foundation and identity, you address weaknesses once you establish a winning formula with players who make your system go. In the meantime, I’m fine with dependable WRs, go get a superstar when the foundation is built. And shit you might be able to land that superstar WR in FA with the cap clearing that’s coming.

Taze

Practice Squad
Next year looks like the year to grab a WR, but I’d take a good this class if I can. I really like Ridley, Lodge and Mims as guys we can get after round 1.

As for RB, we desperately need a receiving back imo which aren’t that hard to find in free agency or the draft

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m going to reply to a lot of these posts with a bit of a longer post here. We do need a WR without a doubt. If you disagree then I challenge you to look at the Rams, Chiefs, Saints and get back with me. They’re high powered offenses because they have high power. Eagles probably got a Super Bowl in part due to signing Jeffrey. Nice narrative that you don’t need WR because PIT hasn’t been there in a while but you do need offensive playmakers and they are in that equation.

When it comes to needs next year, I base it on positions of problem this year, as well as future losses. Here’s my list.

TIER 1: huge area of weakness without immediate potential starter.
- Center
- Edge Pass Rusher
Suggs is old and a Williams is our best guy and Smith is a free agent and who knows about Bowser. Center is obvious and Bozeman or Skura are here but let’s not hope on them. You don’t need a high end defense but you do need a good C and a strong edge pass rusher. Chiefs, Saints and Rams all now have these qualities.

TIER 2: weakness with potential but unproven starter.
RB
WR
S
ILB
Edwards could be good or he could regress like Collins did. FWIW I liked Edwards before most did but I wouldn’t rely on him and Montgomery is a free agent unless he’s re-signed. Brown is a free agent as well and I think we would be wrong to stick with our current roster regardless and need youthful talent here. We have Chuck Clark and Elliott and Jefferson and Weddle but we could make cuts here and this is an area of weakness for us. We should upgrade if we can. Mosley could be gone and if he stays we still need a coverage LB who can be consistently good. I’m not banking on Young even if I do like him.

TIER 3: not a weakness but could improve.
G
DL
CB
Yanda could retire but I like Hurst here and I think Bozeman would also be fine and I don’t mind Alex Lewis as long as we upgrade C. DL isn’t as bad as people make it out to be and I like Pierce and the other pieces we have. If we can get an elite player great if not then no biggie. Jimmy Smith or Carr could be gone and it would be nice to get a young guy because who knows what will happen but also not a big deal.

So I would prioritize Tier 1 early but if an elite Tier 2 or even 3 were there I would go with them. We need an offensive and defensive playmaker more than anything so if we can get an elite guy there we’re good. I like Snell for RB and Campbell for WR and I like Montez for edge defender and it would be great to get Wilson or White for coverage LB. I don’t think G is a big deal as long as we get an elite C. That must be our focus because the tackles and C can disguise any weakness there and we may or may not have Yanda

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m going to reply to a lot of these posts with a bit of a longer post here. We do need a WR without a doubt. If you disagree then I challenge you to look at the Rams, Chiefs, Saints and get back with me. They’re high powered offenses because they have high power. Eagles probably got a Super Bowl in part due to signing Jeffrey. Nice narrative that you don’t need WR because PIT hasn’t been there in a while but you do need offensive playmakers and they are in that equation.

When it comes to needs next year, I base it on positions of problem this year, as well as future losses. Here’s my list.

TIER 1: huge area of weakness without immediate potential starter.
- Center
- Edge Pass Rusher
Suggs is old and a Williams is our best guy and Smith is a free agent and who knows about Bowser. Center is obvious and Bozeman or Skura are here but let’s not hope on them. You don’t need a high end defense but you do need a good C and a strong edge pass rusher. Chiefs, Saints and Rams all now have these qualities.

TIER 2: weakness with potential but unproven starter.
RB
WR
S
ILB
Edwards could be good or he could regress like Collins did. FWIW I liked Edwards before most did but I wouldn’t rely on him and Montgomery is a free agent unless he’s re-signed. Brown is a free agent as well and I think we would be wrong to stick with our current roster regardless and need youthful talent here. We have Chuck Clark and Elliott and Jefferson and Weddle but we could make cuts here and this is an area of weakness for us. We should upgrade if we can. Mosley could be gone and if he stays we still need a coverage LB who can be consistently good. I’m not banking on Young even if I do like him.

TIER 3: not a weakness but could improve.
G
DL
CB
Yanda could retire but I like Hurst here and I think Bozeman would also be fine and I don’t mind Alex Lewis as long as we upgrade C. DL isn’t as bad as people make it out to be and I like Pierce and the other pieces we have. If we can get an elite player great if not then no biggie. Jimmy Smith or Carr could be gone and it would be nice to get a young guy because who knows what will happen but also not a big deal.

So I would prioritize Tier 1 early but if an elite Tier 2 or even 3 were there I would go with them. We need an offensive and defensive playmaker more than anything so if we can get an elite guy there we’re good. I like Snell for RB and Campbell for WR and I like Montez for edge defender and it would be great to get Wilson or White for coverage LB. I don’t think G is a big deal as long as we get an elite C. That must be our focus because the tackles and C can disguise any weakness there and we may or may not have Yanda
I would agree mostly, I don’t think we don’t need a wr, I just don’t think that’s the area of the team we need to attack in this draft, and truthfully I’m not a big fan of this wr class.

One thing I disagree with is Alex Lewis, I don’t think he should be starting. I’d be ok with hurst at LG but we likely need a RG and I’m not sold on Bozeman unless he steps in for skura because that’s an upgrade, but I’m certainly not ok with any guard combo consisting of Lewis, hurst, and Bozeman. Put Bozeman at C, hurst at LG, and draft a RG, address LG a year later or if you get an upgrade in FA that’s cool too but I’m alright with hurst as long as we address the other guard spot.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
im with you man - we need young wide receiver talent that adds an element of energy and speed to the offence which is even more important with John Brown a free agent

the steelers are constantly retooling their receiving corps even when it looks stacked already - and it looks like they key in on guys with speed

2018 they draft a wr in the 2nd round (James Washington)
2017 they draft a wr in the 2nd round (Juju)
2015 they draft a wr in the 3rd round (Sammie Coates)
2014 they draft a wr in the 4th round (Martavis Bryant)
2013 they draft a wr in the 3rd round (Markus Wheaton)
2010 they draft a wr in the 3rd round (Emmanuel Sanders) - they also got antonio brown that year but im not counting that as an intended investment because it was a really late pick
2009 they draft a wr in the 3rd round (Mike Wallace)

so in 7 of the last 10 drafts they've put decent capital into their receiving corps
Washington hasn't look good, Coates is a bust, Bryant was a bust, Wheaton has done nothing this year. Out of this group, only one guy is a stud and still on the team. One guy was a stud (Sanders) and did really help them that season. Wallace was a decent #2.

In the most recent draft, instead of Washington, who hasn't contributed this year, they could have had Lorenzo Carter or Justin Ried, guys that would be a great asset to that subpar defense. A defense that will likely cost them a playoff win.

This strategy hasn't actually paid off as much as it may seem at first glance. Over the past six drafts, only two of these high pick guys have been worthwhile (Sanders and Juju). Their strategy would look awful without Brown.

-center
-edge rusher
-RB who is a weapon in the pass game a la Kamara/Sony Michel

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I would agree mostly, I don’t think we don’t need a wr, I just don’t think that’s the area of the team we need to attack in this draft, and truthfully I’m not a big fan of this wr class.

One thing I disagree with is Alex Lewis, I don’t think he should be starting. I’d be ok with hurst at LG but we likely need a RG and I’m not sold on Bozeman unless he steps in for skura because that’s an upgrade, but I’m certainly not ok with any guard combo consisting of Lewis, hurst, and Bozeman. Put Bozeman at C, hurst at LG, and draft a RG, address LG a year later or if you get an upgrade in FA that’s cool too but I’m alright with hurst as long as we address the other guard spot.
I’m OK with them at G as long as you get a better C. Obviously without a strong center that changes things. I disagree with your proposed alignment though to an extent. I would consider Hurst at RG with Skura at LG honestly or as you say put Bozeman at RG and Hurst at LG but I don’t think our G situation is terrible it’s just lacking. I would like to get better there but I don’t think two rookies will come in and start well next to each other. I’d rather resolve C then just go all out on C and G because we have other needs.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yet we will still be a run first offense, meaning this WR you’re asking for is nothing but a complementary piece, you wanna spend a first on a WR and likely reach for it when this 40+ carry a week team has no guards and MAYBE an average center and gus Edwards and ty Montgomery as the only RBs? Yeah I’m not looking at WR as something that needs a massive investment until that shit gets sorted out first.

And on top of that, a run heavy team needs a defense, with no starting FS and a likely need at ILB and basically no pass rush at all, that looks like a much bigger need as well.

When you’re starting a rebuild you need to build your foundation and identity, you address weaknesses once you establish a winning formula with players who make your system go. In the meantime, I’m fine with dependable WRs, go get a superstar when the foundation is built. And shit you might be able to land that superstar WR in FA with the cap clearing that’s coming.

it's a passing league - even if we centre our offence around the running game a wr isnt a complementary piece
and im not saying we reach for a wr necessarily or that we have to get one in the 1st round but we need to invest more in that position

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Washington hasn't look good, Coates is a bust, Bryant was a bust, Wheaton has done nothing this year. Out of this group, only one guy is a stud and still on the team. One guy was a stud (Sanders) and did really help them that season. Wallace was a decent #2.

In the most recent draft, instead of Washington, who hasn't contributed this year, they could have had Lorenzo Carter or Justin Ried, guys that would be a great asset to that subpar defense. A defense that will likely cost them a playoff win.

This strategy hasn't actually paid off as much as it may seem at first glance. Over the past six drafts, only two of these high pick guys have been worthwhile (Sanders and Juju). Their strategy would look awful without Brown.

the point is the investment not the outcome - they've taken enough shots that they've got multiple hits - and it's too early to tell with washington

and you cant take brown out of the equation - they drafted pieces knowing that they had brown...

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
it's a passing league - even if we centre our offence around the running game a wr isnt a complementary piece
and im not saying we reach for a wr necessarily or that we have to get one in the 1st round but we need to invest more in that position
As long as we don’t pull a 2015 and grab whatever the fuck WR is there because we feel we have to. Or pass a potentially elite talent for a JAG WR. I’m still shitty that we passed on Ridley, so it’s not like I wanna disregard the position entirely, I personally just don’t like this wr class much and would be upset to see us pass on other guys

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
As long as we don’t pull a 2015 and grab whatever the fuck WR is there because we feel we have to. Or pass a potentially elite talent for a JAG WR. I’m still shitty that we passed on Ridley, so it’s not like I wanna disregard the position entirely, I personally just don’t like this wr class much and would be upset to see us pass on other guys
I will never understand how we can draft Breshad but leave Ridley on the board.
You can't make any logical justification for that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

of course - and ill fully admit im saying all this having not watched any tape or done any study at all - ive literally only watched some games live

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
the point is the investment not the outcome - they've taken enough shots that they've got multiple hits - and it's too early to tell with washington

and you cant take brown out of the equation - they drafted pieces knowing that they had brown...
Making a ton of investments in a single position with a low success rate doesn't really help a team in the long run. Just ask the Lions after they spent three top ten picks in a row on WRs.

I will never understand how we can draft Breshad but leave Ridley on the board.
You can't make any logical justification for that.
I can see passing on Ridley for Lamar, because a QB comes before a WR. But for Hurst, that will be a mistake, even if Hurst becomes really good.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Making a ton of investments in a single position with a low success rate doesn't really help a team in the long run. Just ask the Lions after they spent three top ten picks in a row on WRs.

I can see passing on Ridley for Lamar, because a QB comes before a WR. But for Hurst, that will be a mistake, even if Hurst becomes really good.

im not saying you spend multiple 1st rounders - but you've gotta invest decent picks into a position to realistically expect success

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’ll put it this way, take the absolute best WR in this class, consensus best or your personal best, doesn’t matter...

There is a 0% chance I would take him over Jerry Tillery, Mack Wilson, deionte Thompson, Damien Harris, Montez sweat, or the top C once I can decide on one.

Now I have flip flopped like goddamn magikarp on prospects every single year so this is always up for change, but right now I have a lot of guys I want before we even consider a wr.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Oh and if we don’t spend a later pick on Nate herbig from Stanford I’m gonna be pissed. That is a behemoth of a man and he plays like it, he’s gotta get his weight down and work on blocks in space but holy shit he’s got the tools to be a powerful road grader like I’ve never seen

I’ll put it this way, take the absolute best WR in this class, consensus best or your personal best, doesn’t matter...

There is a 0% chance I would take him over Jerry Tillery, Mack Wilson, deionte Thompson, Damien Harris, Montez sweat, or the top C once I can decide on one.

Now I have flip flopped like goddamn magikarp on prospects every single year so this is always up for change, but right now I have a lot of guys I want before we even consider a wr.
If John Brown is on this roster in 2019 it wouldn't shock me if the position isn't even touched.