• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Biggest Needs and Prospects to Address Them

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
@Edgar would be my suggestion if he has the time - has a nice ability to identify and breakdown what guys like CJ and Kenny and Peanut were doing last year for us so i guess would probably be pretty good at doing similar with college guys

i personally struggle with the position a bit also - i see guys like LVE last year and get a bit scared and then they come into the league and dominate - albeit i then see guys like fred warner and instantly realise they're being way undervalued by the cognoscenti so there we go lol - i was too low on Darius Leonard too but then I was ahead on Genard Avery

i completely missed on kenny young too lol - by miles
See I’ve actually had a solid hit rate on LBs, but I never know what I’m watching with them lol so I never trust myself. 4 big misses I had was Arthur Brown, Darius Leonard, jaylon Smith, and LVE, I really liked the former and didn’t like the latter 3. I was VERY high on Kenny young and remained adamant when everyone here blasted us for picking him lol. I was low on Denzel perryman and manti teo and high on Myles Jack. So my hit rate isn’t horrible, I just don’t know what I’m watching and just kinda say I like a LB or I dont

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Who here feels that LB is a position they evaluate well? I suck at evaluating LBs and basically just eye test it all the way, and I need to know if I’m wrong with my infatuation for Devin Bush.

I always find myself liking explosive, intense, and “alpha” type LBs, but can never get a read on a LBs smarts or instincts, but I feel like Devin bush definitely looks the part of a starter in today’s nfl, being explosive as all hell and he definitely seems to have that alpha mentality.

Can someone please give me a quality breakdown on this guy and tell me if he would be a good fit to replace Mosley?
I'm not as torough as other posters. But here are some of my notes.
Cashman:
+ Athletic, pass coverage, blitzes
- tackling, overall technique
He depends on his instincts and tape unlike White (who depends on his speed). I think he needs time to get accustomed to the NFL speed. However he has the potential to be a starter in the long run. Instant special teams ace.

Devin White:
+ pass rush, toughness, range, tackling
- experience, shedding blocks
His range and sideline-to-sidline speed is outstanding. He'll instantly stop the play if he recognizes the play. However he's often lost and hesitates because of his limited experience.

Devin Bush:
+ pass rush, toughness, experience
- block shedding, weight
He had multiple roles in D.Browns defense (run, blitzer on 3rd down, coverage, shooting the gap and so on...). I'm not one of these guys who only likes 6'3 250lbs linebackers. I might be wrong, but I think he's too small for the NFL.

Vosean Joseph:
+ instincts, tackling, pass rush, athleticism
- barely used in pass coverage
He knows how to shed blocks unlike most of the other LB's in his draft class. He's one of the faster guys. He's fast to the ball carrier. He's a risky pick because his role in the gators defense didn't ask him to do much in pass coverage. However he usually got the job done when he dropped back into coverage against RB's and TE's

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Who here feels that LB is a position they evaluate well? I suck at evaluating LBs and basically just eye test it all the way, and I need to know if I’m wrong with my infatuation for Devin Bush.

I always find myself liking explosive, intense, and “alpha” type LBs, but can never get a read on a LBs smarts or instincts, but I feel like Devin bush definitely looks the part of a starter in today’s nfl, being explosive as all hell and he definitely seems to have that alpha mentality.

Can someone please give me a quality breakdown on this guy and tell me if he would be a good fit to replace Mosley?
In 2013, I liked Manti Te'o and A. Ogletree much more than Art Brown and was ridiculed on the old board.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
In 2013, I liked Manti Te'o and A. Ogletree much more than Art Brown and was ridiculed on the old board.
ill say that A LOT of people thought very higly of arthur brown, not just on these boards. him being a bust was honestly a pretty big shock, he seemed to just not care or wanna play, but in college he was extremely rangy and very high iq and a tackling machine. like he looked like a SURE thing.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Cashman:
He depends on his instincts and tape unlike White (who depends on his speed). I think he needs time to get accustomed to the NFL speed. However he has the potential to be a starter in the long run. Instant special teams ace.

Devin White:
His range and sideline-to-sidline speed is outstanding. He'll instantly stop the play if he recognizes the play. However he's often lost and hesitates because of his limited experience.

Devin Bush:
- block shedding, weight
He had multiple roles in D.Browns defense (run, blitzer on 3rd down, coverage, shooting the gap and so on...). I'm not one of these guys who only likes 6'3 250lbs linebackers. I might be wrong, but I think he's too small for the NFL.

Vosean Joseph:
He knows how to shed blocks unlike most of the other LB's in his draft class. He's one of the faster guys. He's fast to the ball carrier. He's a risky pick because his role in the gators defense didn't ask him to do much in pass coverage. However he usually got the job done when he dropped back into coverage against RB's and TE's
he definitely is on the smaller side but he doesnt play small at all

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Cashman:

Devin White:

Devin Bush:
- block shedding, weight

Vosean Joseph:
Have you seen any of Mack Wilson or Germaine Pratt?

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
@JoeyFlex5 @rossihunter2
My take on Bush is that he is very good in man coverage and zone coverage... even better than Kenny I would say. He possesses great speed sideline to sideline and will run guys down. Good blitzing ILB....very physical with tremendous effort.
My problem with him and why I'm not sold on him is that I think he's still learning to be a linebacker....I don't see him taking on blocks forcefully. I don't see him getting off blocks. I don't see him as a great downhill linebacker (I am in the minority though). He is easily fooled by misdirection and play fakes. I guess it depends how a team would use him.....Hard not to like his physicality and athleticism/effort but I don't like him coming in right away as CJ.

I thought you guys might be exaggerating slightly when both of you opined about how it is that Peanut relied heavily on Weddle and CJ to get assigned.....but, Darned if you aren't right as I actually went back and watched....sometimes he confers with both on a single play.

Even with that said, I am starting more and more to think that we are going to be good with Kenny and Peanut at ILB. Both have pretty sound instincts and gap responsibility. I would say that both Kenny and Patrick are better in man coverage than CJ and that Patrick has come a long way in his comfort dropping. I'm still watching and trying to imagine it more but I'm encouraged.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
@JoeyFlex5 @rossihunter2
My take on Bush is that he is very good in man coverage and zone coverage... even better than Kenny I would say. He possesses great speed sideline to sideline and will run guys down. Good blitzing ILB....very physical with tremendous effort.
My problem with him and why I'm not sold on him is that I think he's still learning to be a linebacker....I don't see him taking on blocks forcefully. I don't see him getting off blocks. I don't see him as a great downhill linebacker (I am in the minority though). He is easily fooled by misdirection and play fakes. I guess it depends how a team would use him.....Hard not to like his physicality and athleticism/effort but I don't like him coming in right away as CJ.

I thought you guys might be exaggerating slightly when both of you opined about how it is that Peanut relied heavily on Weddle and CJ to get assigned.....but, Darned if you aren't right as I actually went back and watched....sometimes he confers with both on a single play.

Even with that said, I am starting more and more to think that we are going to be good with Kenny and Peanut at ILB. Both have pretty sound instincts and gap responsibility. I would say that both Kenny and Patrick are better in man coverage than CJ and that Patrick has come a long way in his comfort dropping. I'm still watching and trying to imagine it more but I'm encouraged.

Peanut's background as a safety and Kenny's natural athleticism make sense as to why they might be better in man

as for peanut and getting lined up - he was awesome down the stretch at the end of the year partly because he was freed up by weddle and mosley to just go and find the football and basically be a missile in the direction of the play - as long as he doesnt have to call the plays i think im cool with losing mosley

the other thing is that despite earl thomas playing a lot of deep coverage as a single high free safety he actually plays fairly close to the LoS for someone who's supposed to be covering deep and he's an incredibly cerebral player - the scheme and concepts in seattle arent particularly diverse or complex but reading offensive keys is not particularly different from offence to offence and he's been doing this at the highest level for 9 years which will make up for the loss of weddle and mosley a little even if ET isnt calling plays next year and its TJ or even Kenny

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
@JoeyFlex5 @rossihunter2

Your negatives on bush sound a lot like my negatives on jaylon Smith

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah, I'd be interested.
I haven't watched them as much as the other guys because I don't think they can take on Mosley's role easily. But then again I completely misjudged Leonard. There are better position groups to draft from than LB's and I'd rather improve the OL or WR.

Germaine Pratt
+tackling
-athleticism, limited mobility

Solid tackling & (-form), played decent in coverage. His mobility and explosiveness are going to limit him in the NFL.

Mack Wilson
+ Instincts, athleticism, pass defense
- tackling

He was an effective pass defender because of his range and instincts. Fast to the ball once he recognizes what the opponent’s doing. Block shedding is ok. Needs to improve his tackling.