• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Biggest Needs and Prospects to Address Them

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
We need to come away from this draft with a playmaker on defence (your choice between S and pass rusher), a clear upgrade at either LG or C if not both, and a future potential WR1. I wouldn't say we have a lot of holes, provided we can pay our pending free agents, I think we just need to hit the homerun on the aforementionned needs.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
We need to come away from this draft with a playmaker on defence (your choice between S and pass rusher), a clear upgrade at either LG or C if not both, and a future potential WR1. I wouldn't say we have a lot of holes, provided we can pay our pending free agents, I think we just need to hit the homerun on the aforementionned needs.
I think we need to sign Flowers. He would be the perfect fit for our defense.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
The draft we need one priority and one only for this season. BUILD THE TRENCHES. Leave the skill positions for FA. Lamar needs a real oline rather than the gimmicky crap we've been using to cover up the scheme. NO MORE HURST AND SKURA, THEY DON'T NEED TO BE BENCHED THEY NEED TO BE GONE. Get that mediocrity off the team.

The dline needs retooling too. Brandon Williams should be gone due to his one dimmensionality. He won't be but a man can dream. Brent Urban, if reasonable, should return. Seiler could have a piece(could've had Philip Lindsay you morons). Henry looks good... But let's be honest, Wormley is not going to amount to be anything special and if Henry gets hurt again he might not become anything special either. We need to acquire an interior pass rusher.

The safety market will be bustling in FA. I'd get one of them. Outside of two names, I find the WR class to be unimpressive. Wait till next year.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
The draft we need one priority and one only for this season. BUILD THE TRENCHES. Leave the skill positions for FA. Lamar needs a real oline rather than the gimmicky crap we've been using to cover up the scheme. NO MORE HURST AND SKURA, THEY DON'T NEED TO BE BENCHED THEY NEED TO BE GONE. Get that mediocrity off the team.

The dline needs retooling too. Brandon Williams should be gone due to his one dimmensionality. He won't be but a man can dream. Brent Urban, if reasonable, should return. Seiler could have a piece(could've had Philip Lindsay you morons). Henry looks good... But let's be honest, Wormley is not going to amount to be anything special and if Henry gets hurt again he might not become anything special either. We need to acquire an interior pass rusher.

The safety market will be bustling in FA. I'd get one of them. Outside of two names, I find the WR class to be unimpressive. Wait till next year.
Agreed with the o-line.

As for Lindsay, it was between us and the Broncos and his family convinced him to stay in Colorado. Of course, interior pass-rusher would be nice, but we also need EXTERIOR pass-rush. Who knows what the deal will be with T-Will? Speaking of deals, I'm wonder what kind of $$$ ZDS wants vs. how much we offer. Is Suggs going to be a Raven next year? Only if the price is right.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Agreed with the o-line.

As for Lindsay, it was between us and the Broncos and his family convinced him to stay in Colorado. Of course, interior pass-rusher would be nice, but we also need EXTERIOR pass-rush. Who knows what the deal will be with T-Will? Speaking of deals, I'm wonder what kind of $$$ ZDS wants vs. how much we offer. Is Suggs going to be a Raven next year? Only if the price is right.
If we had drafted Lindsay he would've had to play for us....

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
Any ideas what the strengths and weaknesses of the draft are yet?

Taze

Practice Squad
Think edge rusher is the biggest need on defense. Judon is a nice piece, but Z Smith is just a decent interior rusher and will probably be overpaid. Need to replace Suggs and Williams/Bowser haven't done anything through two seasons. I could see multiple significant investments to this unit

Meanwhile the free agent safety class looks good and deep. A guy like Tre Boston has been cheap, but performs well in coverage. Most college safeties are really hard to project and develop too, huge learning curve for that position, especially for free safety types. Though it also makes the really good ones that much more valuable.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

The safety market will be bustling in FA. I'd get one of them. Outside of two names, I find the WR class to be unimpressive. Wait till snext year.
Speaking of next years WR class 2020.....its going to be historic. Still see a possible mid round pic WR depending on who is available this year.

Last edited:

Taze

Practice Squad
The offense needs IOL more than anything. But also need a legit threat to get the defense's focus off of Lamar. All the defenders eyes are on him as no one else really instills any kind of fear or extra attention (though this could be J Brown if the deep passing game gets going (which means a better OL and further development from Lamar))

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'd like to see us try to get Amos to be our new safety. For our pass rush, Henry Anderson as an interior rusher and Preston Smith as an edge could be affordable.

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I guess we are going to have to find a quarterback if we trade or cut Joe. RGIII said he wants to start next season, so he is probably going to sign with a team that gives him the best opportunity to compete.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I guess we are going to have to find a quarterback if we trade or cut Joe. RGIII said he wants to start next season, so he is probably going to sign with a team that gives him the best opportunity to compete.

If RGIII is gone then I want someone who can continue to mentor Lamar - either Tyrod back (if he's affordable) or Kaep (Roman ties, similar offensive scheme, similar lessons to teach lamar like RGIII) - i realise the kaep thing probably wont happen just coz but he'd be a good fit i think

if neither of those guys then maybe Trevor Siemian...

there's not much out there

Teddy Bridgewater, Joe Flacco, Nick Foles probably take the top of the market, maybe Tyrod too

honestly though im not sure where RGIII gets an opportunity to compete

the only teams looking for potential competition at qb in 2019:
Miami Dolphins
Jacksonville Jaguars
Denver Broncos
Washington Redskins
New York Giants (maybe)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (maybe)

you've got to think most of those teams will address that competition with a 1st round qb pick or one of the top 3-4 available veteran qbs
on top of that i dont see any way that he goes back to washington and i dont think he gets starting opportunities in new york or tampa

which leaves the dolphins, broncos and jags - the jags and broncos both have shots at the top qbs in the draft with their high picks if they want - and im not sure i envision the broncos adding RGIII to compete with Keenum just for the sake of it so i really only see the dolphins as a reasonable possibility and they may well go after someone like Flacco

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
If RGIII is gone then I want someone who can continue to mentor Lamar - either Tyrod back (if he's affordable) or Kaep (Roman ties, similar offensive scheme, similar lessons to teach lamar like RGIII) - i realise the kaep thing probably wont happen just coz but he'd be a good fit i think

if neither of those guys then maybe Trevor Siemian...

there's not much out there

Teddy Bridgewater, Joe Flacco, Nick Foles probably take the top of the market, maybe Tyrod too

honestly though im not sure where RGIII gets an opportunity to compete

the only teams looking for potential competition at qb in 2019:
Miami Dolphins
Jacksonville Jaguars
Denver Broncos
Washington Redskins
New York Giants (maybe)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (maybe)

you've got to think most of those teams will address that competition with a 1st round qb pick or one of the top 3-4 available veteran qbs
on top of that i dont see any way that he goes back to washington and i dont think he gets starting opportunities in new york or tampa

which leaves the dolphins, broncos and jags - the jags and broncos both have shots at the top qbs in the draft with their high picks if they want - and im not sure i envision the broncos adding RGIII to compete with Keenum just for the sake of it so i really only see the dolphins as a reasonable possibility and they may well go after someone like Flacco
You forgot Josh