• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Lamar, the Koch and the Matt Ryan

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
This is not to disrespect Joe, but I along with many other board members believe we are better off down the stretch with Lamar for several reasons. We have an identity, we are converting first downs, controlling top, rushing for over 200 yards per game and KEEPING OUR DEFENSE FRESH.

I’m not sure why the Joe Flacco crowd thinks that is the only way to win.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's not easy keeping cool with perpetual snarky comments since Joe stopped playing. Anything to undermine Ravens success with Lamar starting.
I hear you but just let it slide. We all know Lamar is developing and has a ways to go but offers a lot of upside and potential. He’s exciting to watch regardless. I just hope he is a fast learner

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
This is not to disrespect Joe, but I along with many other board members believe we are better off down the stretch with Lamar for several reasons. We have an identity, we are converting first downs, controlling top, rushing for over 200 yards per game and KEEPING OUR DEFENSE FRESH.

I’m not sure why the Joe Flacco crowd thinks that is the only way to win.
The ball control Lamar gives us is big and after watching RG3 also run the offense it’s obvious to me the defense plays completely different against Lamar and he can still beat them. He really adds another wrinkle to the offense

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
What drops? And no play calling was worse than our fade to Boyle and another first half of forcing lamar to throw it heavy.
I hate how much we use Boyle as a receiver. Dude cannot catch or run. May as well make Yanda an eligible receiver

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Can we point out how clutch lamar has been with breaking runs late in games? When we’ve been slowly grinding for the third and fourth quarter and you can see the defense wearing down, it seems like lamar will always break one late in the fourth to really put the dagger in em. I can’t remember if he did it vs the bengals but he did it last week and twice this week. He’s been money running out the clock and needing to convert late in the game, and he’s done it with a lead when defenses are keying in heavy on the run.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I hate how much we use Boyle as a receiver. Dude cannot catch or run. May as well make Yanda an eligible receiver
Boyle is good at sneaking out on play action and catching a wide open flat and stumbling forward for a first, and he’s good for maybe one a game.

Throwing to him in the red zone is flat out dumb

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Boyle is good at sneaking out on play action and catching a wide open flat and stumbling forward for a first, and he’s good for maybe one a game.

Throwing to him in the red zone is flat out dumb
Yeah that’s what I mean. I feel like we use him in clutch situations and he is not that guy.

Tank

Hall of Famer
But you’re undermining it with things that never even happened. Yeah sarkisian sucks at times but they still field one of the most prolific offenses in the league, and their play calling was pretty standard stuff for them, and they weren’t dropping balls, our defense was breaking them up, they didn’t abandon the run out of stupidity they did it because our defense was dominant and they couldn’t run, and above all things, dropped passes and bad playcalling is what THE RAVENS overcame, not the falcons.

Again, our D did play great, but the Falcons offense uncharacteristicly stilled played like pooh. Some of Ryan’s passes looked like poor punts and I think if you go back and look at it you’ll see bad drops, even one that went right through Julio’s hands. I think maybe the sparse crowd for what was a turning point game had to take some wind out of their sails. And the point remains that against better teams we’ll have to take advantage of the great defensive efforts while taking care of the ball and putting points on the board.

Last edited:
The good: A truly dominating defensive performance and time of possession which fed that performance. We took smash mouth to a new level.
The bad: Ball security not just Lamar but across the board.
The ugly: the falcons offense stat lines. Julio with 18? What?

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
The good: A truly dominating defensive performance and time of possession which fed that performance. We took smash mouth to a new level.
The bad: Ball security not just Lamar but across the board.
The ugly: the falcons offense stat lines. Julio with 18? What?
Our secondary was near flawless and the line and blitz put lot of pressure on Ryan. Incredible aggression.
I can't remember the last time pro team had defensive game like our boys today and it was against one of the top offensive teams..

Reactions: cdp

Tank

Hall of Famer
Can we point out how clutch lamar has been with breaking runs late in games? When we’ve been slowly grinding for the third and fourth quarter and you can see the defense wearing down, it seems like lamar will always break one late in the fourth to really put the dagger in em. I can’t remember if he did it vs the bengals but he did it last week and twice this week. He’s been money running out the clock and needing to convert late in the game, and he’s done it with a lead when defenses are keying in heavy on the run.
His running ability is off the chain, a lot of fun to watch and presents a huge problem for opposing defenses. While I’m sure you think I just want to put a negative spin on it(not the case) you have to be concerned that he will get smashed and injured at some point.

Tank

Hall of Famer
How about the celebration after Sizzle’s sack! Also, love that Tavon got the big fumble/TD and that he did it with style breaking tackles.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
His running ability is off the chain, a lot of fun to watch and presents a huge problem for opposing defenses. While I’m sure you think I just want to put a negative spin on it(not the case) you have to be concerned that he will get smashed and injured at some point.
Lol the only hit he took was a friendly fire kick to the face. Do you see how he just never takes a hit? He legitimately does not take hits and it’s impressive. Every now and then, maybe 1 or 2 hits a game that he’s braced for, but nothing like some of the huge sacks Flacco takes.

My worry is the turnovers that hasn’t been fixed yet, he’s just had a knack for turning it over and we will lose if we give it to KC.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Again, our D did play great, but the Falcons offense uncharacteristicly stilled played like pooh. Some of Ryan’s passes looked like poor punts and I think if you go back and look at it you’ll see bad drops, even one that went right through Julio’s hands. I think maybe the sparse crowd for what was a turning point game had to take some wind out of their sails. And the point remains that against better teams we’ll have to take advantage of the great defensive efforts while taking care of the ball and putting points on the board.
Matt Ryan got his ass kicked consistently today, dbs had receivers locked down all day, that’s why he’s out there hanging em high. And no I do not recall flat out drops, I recall a few catches not being made in tight coverage but that’s not a drop, and what I do recall is physical db play and cracking receivers as soon as the ball arrives, and breaking up passes. These are all defensive efforts, not because the falcons offense is being shitty

Matt Ryan got his ass kicked consistently today, dbs had receivers locked down all day, that’s why he’s out there hanging em high. And no I do not recall flat out drops, I recall a few catches not being made in tight coverage but that’s not a drop, and what I do recall is physical db play and cracking receivers as soon as the ball arrives, and breaking up passes. These are all defensive efforts, not because the falcons offense is being shitty
The only true drop I recall was the one he mentioned by Jones ... which would have been a 5 yard gain on 1st down. Not exactly a game changing gaffe.

jboy19

Pro Bowler
I dont really have any complaints about the game. Yeah the fumble and a couple drops/misthrows weren't great, but the Offense grinded it out on the ground and the Defense came up huge.

Really happy to see Lamar bounce back from that fumble and tie it up before the half. Not uncommon to see young QBs unravel after something like that, so I think it means a lot that he hung in there.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I dont really have any complaints about the game. Yeah the fumble and a couple drops/misthrows weren't great, but the Offense grinded it out on the ground and the Defense came up huge.

Really happy to see Lamar bounce back from that fumble and tie it up before the half. Not uncommon to see young QBs unravel after something like that, so I think it means a lot that he hung in there.
Not only young QBs

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lol the only hit he took was a friendly fire kick to the face. Do you see how he just never takes a hit? He legitimately does not take hits and it’s impressive. Every now and then, maybe 1 or 2 hits a game that he’s braced for, but nothing like some of the huge sacks Flacco takes.

My worry is the turnovers that hasn’t been fixed yet, he’s just had a knack for turning it over and we will lose if we give it to KC.
Especially with Eric Berry. That’s my concern