• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offence, the Lamar and the Just About Everything…

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
no idea
but if he's as good as we thought he could be and he's ascending to that level, then he's worth paying top of the market money for - keep your stars
yes but outside of the sacks, he isn't getting that many pressures. Lets see how the rest of the year goes. I believe we need pressures and sacks out of him to pay him like a top interior defender.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
yes but outside of the sacks, he isn't getting that many pressures. Lets see how the rest of the year goes. I believe we need pressures and sacks out of him to pay him like a top interior defender.
I agree. But the premise will be that IF we decided not to, somebody else probably will. So I don't think its one of those circumstances where he's more valuable to the Ravens than he is to the market. If he manages to get up to or over double digit sacks in a contract year, he'll get lucrative offers from the FA market.

Which makes signing him before he hits FA very difficult (and expensive).

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I agree. But the premise will be that IF we decided not to, somebody else probably will. So I don't think its one of those circumstances where he's more valuable to the Ravens than he is to the market. If he manages to get up to or over double digit sacks in a contract year, he'll get lucrative offers from the FA market.

Which makes signing him before he hits FA very difficult (and expensive).
yes, there is no question he will get paid if he gets double digit sacks, but he won't get paid by us unless those disruptions are also there.

Baltimorican

Practice Squad
The EDGE combination of Oweh, Clowney and Van Noy just fit together so well

real complements to each other's skillsets
Yeah but there's no way you can count on that trio to keep it up for 20 games. They need another body IMO. Ngakoue or Preston Smith would fit.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah but there's no way you can count on that trio to keep it up for 20 games. They need another body IMO. Ngakoue or Preston Smith would fit.
They'll get Ojabo back. Maybe Bowser also.

Their snap counts aren't super high. Clowney has settled into a 50-60% snap share. Van Noy in the 40-50% range. Think that's where you want both of them to be.

Baltimorican

Practice Squad
They'll get Ojabo back. Maybe Bowser also.

Their snap counts aren't super high. Clowney has settled into a 50-60% snap share. Van Noy in the 40-50% range. Think that's where you want both of them to be.

We got absolutely no clue what , if anything we are getting out of Ojabo/Bowser. I'm as high on Oweh as anybody but the dude has yet to string together 2 good months of football...ever (not just NFL). Thinking Clowney and Van Noy can keep this up all year + the playoffs is setting yourself up for failure when it counts. I'm DeCosta, i add a body.

Deebo813

Hall of Famer
What happens when teams catch on and starts blocking our stunts and force our guys to win 1vs1? Are stunts simple to block? Or will it take a great experienced oline like eagles to consistently block that?

Baltimorican

Practice Squad
What happens when teams catch on and starts blocking our stunts and force our guys to win 1vs1? Are stunts simple to block? Or will it take a great experienced oline like eagles to consistently block that?
I'm not gonna say I break down film or anything like that, but if you wanna block the Ravens it starts with Mads, he's playing like a top 5 interior guy right now. After that it's McDonald doing all kinds of creative stuff, not sending too many blitzers but you never know where it's coming from. From what I can tell, that's the chaos this D is creating that then turns those elementary stunts into lethal icing on the cake.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
We got absolutely no clue what , if anything we are getting out of Ojabo/Bowser. I'm as high on Oweh as anybody but the dude has yet to string together 2 good months of football...ever (not just NFL). Thinking Clowney and Van Noy can keep this up all year + the playoffs is setting yourself up for failure when it counts. I'm DeCosta, i add a body.
Right but it would depend on who's available and price point. Anybody we get is likely to be a rental, which means we're in the same spot 5 months from now.
At some point if you're not going to rely on your draft picks to make significant contributions, then its a wrap. Mid-season acquisitions just become band aids on broken bones. They're not sustainable either.

Also would point out that the schemes we run and the pressure we generate is wide ranging, i.e. we're not dependent on edge rushers getting home to generate sacks or pressures.

Baltimorican

Practice Squad
Right but it would depend on who's available and price point. Anybody we get is likely to be a rental, which means we're in the same spot 5 months from now.
At some point if you're not going to rely on your draft picks to make significant contributions, then its a wrap. Mid-season acquisitions just become band aids on broken bones. They're not sustainable either.

Also would point out that the schemes we run and the pressure we generate is wide ranging, i.e. we're not dependent on edge rushers getting home to generate sacks or pressures.

Heard on all that. We need our draft picks and the core is in house. But this is a pretty all in season when you loom at the defense and Lamar playing like he is, so if EDC can do some shopping and find some EDGE depth for a 3rd day pick, I'm in.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Heard on all that. We need our draft picks and the core is in house. But this is a pretty all in season when you loom at the defense and Lamar playing like he is, so if EDC can do some shopping and find some EDGE depth for a 3rd day pick, I'm in.
I think that's the big $ for me... is this really an "all in" season? You're not going to lose much in terms of quality starters this offseason. You're going to lose 2-3 good one's potentially and some depth, which is pretty normal.

You can retain huge chunks of your passing game, your QB, and most of the key playmakers on your defense.

I don't think you "need" anything at the trade deadline. There's things you want, but there's nothing you need. Maybe that changes in a couple weeks.

Baltimorican

Practice Squad
I think that's the big $ for me... is this really an "all in" season? You're not going to lose much in terms of quality starters this offseason. You're going to lose 2-3 good one's potentially and some depth, which is pretty normal.

You can retain huge chunks of your passing game, your QB, and most of the key playmakers on your defense.

I don't think you "need" anything at the trade deadline. There's things you want, but there's nothing you need. Maybe that changes in a couple weeks.

This defense might be top 3 this year and when you look at the guys playing at an all-pro type level it's Mads, Ro, PQ, and Hamilton. You might not have half of them next year. A healthy peaked up Defense with just the perfect mix of youth and age is so damn hard to keep yr to yr. You've also got Stanley, Moses and Zietler all together and healthy and just hanging in there at top condition.

And then of course there's Lamar, how many years of this do you get before he ages like a RB? I see a 3-4 year window and this is prolly one of your top 2 years within that window.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Losing Crowder, PQ, Madubuike and Stone on one side of the ball is a lot of sacks and a safety that can be a starter on half the teams in the league. Maybe that's average in losses to you, but It just doesn't feel that way to me. Maybe we can sign Crowder and Stone back, but I don't see us resigning PQ and Madubuike....unfortunately.

That being said, that's what makes the NFL exciting.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Losing Crowder, PQ, Madubuike and Stone on one side of the ball is a lot of sacks and a safety that can be a starter on half the teams in the league. Maybe that's average in losses to you, but It just doesn't feel that way to me. Maybe we can sign Crowder and Stone back, but I don't see us resigning PQ and Madubuike....unfortunately.

OK, but...
Hamilton and Williams are better safeties than Stone, when healthy, and are still on the roster for at least another 1-2 more years (Hamilton much longer than that I'm sure). And you have a better ILB on the roster already than Queen. So like you're losing good players, but you're not losing even the best players at their positions on the roster.

That's the point. You lose PQ to FA and the Ravens could still easily have a good ILB room. I like Stone, but I think he's being oversold a bit here. I think we're valuing him like Clark/Elliott as these high end players for the Ravens, and truth is, I'm not sure he's a lot better playing elsewhere. He fits very well in this scheme with these players.

Madubuike I think would hurt the most, pretty much because replacing interior pass rushers is brutally hard, and they're arguably the second most valuable position in the league right now. The only "knock" is we've only really seen like a half season of high level production. He's always been a "good" player, not a "great" player. We paid Ngata because he was dominant for most of his rookie contract.

And in general, I agree. Madubuike and Queen are the two expensive one's. Likely in that order. You could theoretically retain just about every other expiring contract you wanted for the price of just one of those guys (Clowney, Stone, OBJ, etc.). So its just a question of how much valuable is one of them over 3-4 guys. I don't know that today, and I'm not sure anybody else does either.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
Losing Clowney, PQ, Madubuike and Stone on one side of the ball is a lot of sacks and a safety that can be a starter on half the teams in the league. Maybe that's average in losses to you, but It just doesn't feel that way to me. Maybe we can sign Crowder and Stone back, but I don't see us resigning PQ and Madubuike....unfortunately.

Crowder?

Last edited by a moderator: