• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Offence, the Lamar and the Just About Everything…

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
What a game. That 2019 feeling of easily stomping a good opponent was back and I liked it.

I expected the offense to come together eventually but I never expected it to happen so quickly. This was the Lamar that the Lamarmy have been saying was there all along if only he was allowed to express it.

All the offensive worries got positive answers.

The running game - looked pretty good against a good run defense. (We seem to be a pass first team now and using the pass to open things up for the run made a huge difference. )
Ronnie Stanley - looked great. He might never get back to 100% but he looked like a funtional LT you can win with.
The interior O Line - really good.
Playcalling concerns - what playcalling concerns? They didn't overload on first down runs. There were more passes further downfield. These are changes I can really see sticking because we saw how well they worked.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
What a game. That 2019 feeling of easily stomping a good opponent was back and I liked it.

I expected the offense to come together eventually but I never expected it to happen so quickly. This was the Lamar that the Lamarmy have been saying was there all along if only he was allowed to express it.

All the offensive worries got positive answers.

The running game - looked pretty good against a good run defense. (We seem to be a pass first team now and using the pass to open things up for the run made a huge difference. )
Ronnie Stanley - looked great. He might never get back to 100% but he looked like a funtional LT you can win with.
The interior O Line - really good.
Playcalling concerns - what playcalling concerns? They didn't overload on first down runs. There were more passes further downfield. These are changes I can really see sticking because we saw how well they worked.

ill have more clarity when i actually watch the game
but Lions secondary has definitely been somewhat suspect the first few weeks

ravens offence has moved the ball on basically everyone (just managed to self-destruct in at least 2 games) - but im going to temper my expectations (at least until we see this repeated)

but this looks like it was finally the combination of the redzone efficiency through the first 4 weeks and the ability to move the ball between the 20s of almost every week - and with only one implosion (that also didnt kill the game - maybe partly because the game was already basically out of hand when it occurred)

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Still wild to me to see ignorant takes from other fanbases on Lamar. Saw Lions fans say we better hope the Bears don’t start using Fields the way the Ravens use Lamar. You don’t know ball, Fields is terrible, you literally can’t use him the same way because he sucks
I see them. Again, if I wanted to care about people's takes of Lamar, I'll make my way to this forum.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
So glad to have Pierce back and never wanted him to leave in the first place.

36 yards is terrible for a rb.
are you talking about Justice Hill? he got like 3 carries. or are you talking about gibbs, I find him rather overrated

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
I see them. Again, if I wanted to care about people's takes of Lamar, I'll make my way to this forum.
This forum is pretty good tho, RSR has the wackos that think Lamar still has to show he’s on the level of Goff. Yes we get it, he needs to do more in the playoffs but he didn’t get that chance the last 2 years, and I’d even argue against the Bills in his last attempt, he was robbed of a comeback opportunity

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Nothing much to add from yesterday. Did what we thought we were all capable of doing.
Reminder though that the NFL still remains a week-to-week league. Teams are never consistently as good as they show at their best, and never consistently as bad as their worst.

One thing I did watch for was the snap distribution in the secondary with Williams out. With Hamilton shifting into the more traditional S role, Maulet saw the lions share of the Nickel snaps @ 60 (80%). He alongside Marlon and Stephens were the three primary Corners for the bulk of the game.

RYS and Darby saw low usage, even in a blow out (8 snaps each). Could be gameplan specific and gameflow specific, but seems clear that Maulet has separated himself as the Nickel corner in that alignment, and the Ravens don't have a lot of plans to limit their usage (at least in the short term).

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Nothing much to add from yesterday. Did what we thought we were all capable of doing.
Reminder though that the NFL still remains a week-to-week league. Teams are never consistently as good as they show at their best, and never consistently as bad as their worst.

One thing I did watch for was the snap distribution in the secondary with Williams out. With Hamilton shifting into the more traditional S role, Maulet saw the lions share of the Nickel snaps @ 60 (80%). He alongside Marlon and Stephens were the three primary Corners for the bulk of the game.

RYS and Darby saw low usage, even in a blow out (8 snaps each). Could be gameplan specific and gameflow specific, but seems clear that Maulet has separated himself as the Nickel corner in that alignment, and the Ravens don't have a lot of plans to limit their usage (at least in the short term).
yep, it's never as good as it seems and never as bad as it seems.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer

Definitely noticed this too. Maulet has been playing really well so it makes sense.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Definitely noticed this too. Maulet has been playing really well so it makes sense.
Not sure it'll be long-term if Williams returns though. Hamilton would basically slide into the Nickel.
And it does make some sense, considering I don't think RYS or Darby are guys you want in the slot much. So they'd either move Marlon into the slot (which they've largely resisted doing for years now), or Maulet is the option.

But with Marlon not on a pitch count anymore, its clear he and Stephens are nearly every down players. Just seems like we'll see far less rotation in the secondary (barring injuries) going forward.

Simba

Staff Member

Only a handful of snaps and it was with Darby and RYS outside when all of the backups came in, but was interesting to see JAD play in the slot as well.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Only a handful of snaps and it was with Darby and RYS outside when all of the backups came in, but was interesting to see JAD play in the slot as well.
Yeah I didn't follow him much, but I would assume JAD entered in garbage time to relieve Maulet as well.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
It's so confusing why he was getting cooked in the PS just to be fucking lock down in the regular season

It has to be a mental thing. That or the practice was designed for him to be cooked.