• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Geno Stone, the Gus Edwards, the Defence and the Special Teams

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
they have some talent, but I don't think Kyler Murray and a high pick would put them in Bengals / Jags territory. That is assuming they still have Murray, which they will. That being said, the competition in the NFC is pretty few and far between.
Jags/Bengals as in went from laughing stock of the NFL to playoff contenders. I think they'll get there quickly in the coming years.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Jags/Bengals as in went from laughing stock of the NFL to playoff contenders. I think they'll get there quickly in the coming years.
playoff contenders I have no doubt, but if it were in the AFC I'd have my doubts.....with Kyler Murray at the helm.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
He isn't that bad either, as back ups go, if they want someone who can keep them somewhat afloat for the rest of the season.
He's really not even good enough to do this.

The Vikings have no run game to speak of and while their defense isn't horrendous, it's a far cry from Baltimore. He'd actually be counted on to win games and he isn't doing that.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
He's really not even good enough to do this.

The Vikings have no run game to speak of and while their defense isn't horrendous, it's a far cry from Baltimore. He'd actually be counted on to win games and he isn't doing that.
There's some value in being functional - coaches and GMs get fired when things turn into a disaster. He might even beat the Bears or Packers - they're pretty bad.

I think a lot of Ravens fans are too hard on Huntley, probably born from arguing against the idiots who wanted us to trade Lamar and start him. He's a mid level back up but a few teams are currently starting worse QBs than Huntley.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
There's some value in being functional - coaches and GMs get fired when things turn into a disaster. He might even beat the Bears or Packers - they're pretty bad.

I think a lot of Ravens fans are too hard on Huntley, probably born from arguing against the idiots who wanted us to trade Lamar and start him. He's a mid level back up but a few teams are currently starting worse QBs than Huntley.
He's a low level backup who can't push the ball downfield, has subpar velocity to fit it into windows or throw on a rope, has limited field vision, and limited pocket awareness. He was helped immensely by the Ravens defense and running game, something he wouldn't have in Minnesota.

The Vikings don't need to trade for Huntley because he doesn't significantly move the needle for them.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
He isn't that bad either, as back ups go, if they want someone who can keep them somewhat afloat for the rest of the season. Most of the better back ups won't be available because teams want to keep them, but the Ravens seem semi-comfortable with Johnson, so it might be one of their better options.

It all depends on how much Minnesota want to invest into this season vs the future. Dallas would want to upgrade the 4th they paid for Lance to at least a 3rd. Howell might develop into a starter and Washington are still alive, so he's a no go.
Well the Vikings can't run the ball, don't have a strong Oline, are missing Jefferson for at least another month or so, and have a bad defense.
I don't think Huntley is capable of keeping them afloat.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

Define "starting"? Like factoring in injuries to actual starters? He's better than the Bears QB, but he's not better than Fields.

I think there's an immaterial difference between Huntley and, say, Desmond Ridder, who's a low end "starter". He's better than maybe like PJ Walker, but PJ Walker is only starting due to injury.

I think there is probably 35-40 QBs in this league I'd take over Huntley. It's just a question of whether they're healthy or not. That would rate Huntley as pretty much what he is, which is a mid-to-high level backup QB.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
Define "starting"? Like factoring in injuries to actual starters? He's better than the Bears QB, but he's not better than Fields.

I think there's an immaterial difference between Huntley and, say, Desmond Ridder, who's a low end "starter". He's better than maybe like PJ Walker, but PJ Walker is only starting due to injury.

I think there is probably 35-40 QBs in this league I'd take over Huntley. It's just a question of whether they're healthy or not. That would rate Huntley as pretty much what he is, which is a mid-to-high level backup QB.
Agreed on all of that. In fact, you're a little higher on Huntley than I am. I'd say he's probably 40-50 - right in the middle of the back ups. But that might still have value to Minnesota beause teams want to keep their back ups.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
He's a low level backup who can't push the ball downfield, has subpar velocity to fit it into windows or throw on a rope, has limited field vision, and limited pocket awareness. He was helped immensely by the Ravens defense and running game, something he wouldn't have in Minnesota.
That's why he's not a starter but he is an acceptable game manager. Minnesota's defense hasn't been bad under Flores and, even without Jefferson, he'd have a better WR group than he ever had in Baltimore. And their O line is pretty good too.

The Vikings don't need to trade for Huntley because he doesn't significantly move the needle for them.
Not significantly, no but if they're trading away Danielle Hunter for picks they might quite like him as a throw in to take them from embarrassing to just bad and keep people in employment.

Last edited:

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Monken was completely outcoached in this game by the Cards DC. This is worrisome come playoff/crunch time.
this game wasn't anywhere near as close as the score indicated. Defensively we started playing soft at 31-15 or was it 31-7. I hate when we play soft defensive coverage in the 4th quarter. I don't know if you can say we were outcoached...we did score 31 on them.

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
Not sure when the Cards dropped 8 people back in coverage , Lamar didnt keep them honest and break off a few big runs. It was puzzling.
It was smart of them. A lot of teams have been playing Lamar as if he's still a run threat first. Arizona took him at his word that he wants to be a passer and gambled that he'd turn down running opportunities to look for a target.

I hope Lamar sees that he's best when he threatens teams both ways, because it would only have taken a couple of big QB runs to get them out of that drop 8 look.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
this game wasn't anywhere near as close as the score indicated. Defensively we started playing soft at 31-15 or was it 31-7. I hate when we play soft defensive coverage in the 4th quarter. I don't know if you can say we were outcoached...we did score 31 on them.

it's that garbage time scramble/desperation from an offense

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Agreed on all of that. In fact, you're a little higher on Huntley than I am. I'd say he's probably 40-50 - right in the middle of the back ups. But that might still have value to Minnesota beause teams want to keep their back ups.
Right but like if you wanted an upgrade on your backup, you probably shouldn't have waited until your starter went down to do it. Just play the backup who won your camp battle for it.

If you get like 2-3 injuries at QB, sure, start looking at waivers and other places.

To me, its the same as thinking if Lamar went down we'd start calling teams for QBs. I don't think we would, nor would it make sense to do it.

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor
the Defense set up most of that with field position and turnovers.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Pretty much.
Though again... I don't know how many more reminders the public needs to admit that its a week to week league. You can't just send your B squad out there and beat bad teams. I listened to people on Twitter (my fault for doing so) saying we should rest Roquan because we didn't need him to win. Looks to me like we absolutely did need him to win. We needed some guys to step up who normally haven't in order to win. Bateman, Pierce, etc.

It's the NFL. Every week is hard. Some are just harder than others. The gap between the good teams and bad teams, over a season, is wide. The gap between good teams and bad teams, on a single gameday, is very, very, very small.

I feel like sometimes people treat the Ravens vs Cardinals as like Alabama playing Bumfuck State. It's not close to that. It's more like Alabama playing a conference game against a top 25 team.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Pretty much.
Though again... I don't know how many more reminders the public needs to admit that its a week to week league. You can't just send your B squad out there and beat bad teams. I listened to people on Twitter (my fault for doing so) saying we should rest Roquan because we didn't need him to win. Looks to me like we absolutely did need him to win. We needed some guys to step up who normally haven't in order to win. Bateman, Pierce, etc.

It's the NFL. Every week is hard. Some are just harder than others. The gap between the good teams and bad teams, over a season, is wide. The gap between good teams and bad teams, on a single gameday, is very, very, very small.

I feel like sometimes people treat the Ravens vs Cardinals as like Alabama playing Bumfuck State. It's not close to that. It's more like Alabama playing a conference game against a top 25 team.

People keep forgetting that those are professionals on the other side of the ball and it's their job to play defense and score. We can't just steamroll everyone

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Pretty much.

I totally agree. Everyone in the NFL is in the NFL for a reason. There are no easy outs.