• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Missed Tackles, the Injuries and the Special Teams

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
looks like Henrickson may have had an injury today as well at the end of the Texans game

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Just a really frustrating game.

Not sure at all what happened on Lamar's first interception. I can't rationalize what he may have seen. Just... not a good throw. The second I can excuse because the offensive line was manhandled all game and it led directly to the tip. As soon as it got tipped, though, I was terrified. That rarely spells anything good.

The offensive line was abysmal. How often did we see offensive lineman literally on their backs? That, fortunately, is probably the best or second best pass rush the Ravens will face this year (49ers), but the Ravens are going to face more elite pass rusher. They have got to figure out this tackle situation before it spells an early playoff exit. I just pray Stanley is okay because while he isn't great, he's drastically better than Faalale.

I have to wonder what the thought process was giving Gus 11 carries. Maybe the Ravens felt their tackle situation was dire and having off tackle runners like Hill or Mitchell wasn't ideal? I don't know. What I do know is Gus wasn't it at any point in the game and forcing it put the Ravens down and behind.

Overall, the playcalling was suspect. How often did we see the Ravens get a really positive play of eight, nine yards on first down only to try like an end around reverse and lose 10 yards. The Ravens were 2/8 on third down largely because they continually put themselves into unfavorable down and distance with porous second down calls.

Defensively... I just don't know what to say. The Browns were down three tackles, I think? I'd argue the interior is the Browns bread and butter on the line, but they were still hampered. It was really tough to watch the Browns absolutely manhandle the Ravens front seven and continually get push and strong runs. And the amount of lost contain against Watson that led to favorable distance or first downs.

From a pass defense perspective, Watson didn't throw an incompletion the entire second half. But there's more! Watson was routinely able to rip off huge chunk plays, like the 17 yard pass to Cooper on 2nd and 19. I know Marlon was out, but that's pretty rough.

Overall, the tackling was piss poor. It was shocking to see Njoku or Ford carry the Ravens defense for a first down that would otherwise be a long third or a fourth. Just unacceptable.

Scoring 31, especially after having a 14 point lead early, really should be enough for a win. I understand the Ravens gave up a pick-6, but they made zero defensive stops in the second half. I'm not even convinced the defense would have prevented a TD if the Browns needed 4 to win the game at the end. They were just so bad in the second half.

Special teams are ass. Stout didn't have a great day punting, with at least two touchbacks that could have pinned the Browns into unfavorable play calling deep in their own territory. I haven't seen the Ravens rip a long return in quite a while. Justin Tucker having that blocked field goal and the subsequent return to set up a short field.

Also need to capitilize when the opponents give the Ravens opportunities. That drop by Mitchell was pretty bad and cost the Ravens four points, which would have been a difference maker. If the Oweh fumble is recovered, the Ravens very likely win. Instead, the Ravens gave up 17 on the very next play and nullified a huge play.

Still, this is a really good team. They have trailed for less than 30 minutes in 10 games. And we've seen when they're on, they're really on. They just need to limit mistakes and capitalize on the mistakes of their opponents. They just need to get out of their own way.

Well I thought this game would be closer then many thought. Division rival with #1 ranked defense. Give Watson some credit for playing tough in the 2nd half after an absolute horrid 1st half.

We have to stop shooting ourselves in the foot though. You can’t make mistakes against teams like this and expect to win.

Hope Stanley is not seriously injured.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Keaton only had 3 rushes. Not acceptable

Simba

Staff Member
Will also say that as much as I appreciate Marcus Williams, him with only 1 arm when having to make a tackle is a total liability.

CanadianRavensFan

Practice Squad
I am absolutely pissed off with the performance by our D today. Somehow they didn't manage to make the rapist miss a single pass in the entire second half.

The refs absolutely fucked us today, I don't know how you manage to miss that blindside block, or call that dpi when the ball was clearly overthrown or just randomly give them more time on the play clock and then not do the same thing for us when there was an injured brown on the field.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
This team has a real issue putting teams away.
Should have put the steelers and browns away and have let them stay in both games and capitulated at the end.

A team that, until it shows otherwise, is unable to overcome self-inflicted wounds and is seemingly susceptible to momentum swings like crazy
Don't forget about the Colts as well. All 3 of the Raven's losses were to teams that they led but they were unable to close'em out to secure the win. It's a shame! When that happens once, it may be an accident. When it happens twice, perhaps there was a slip-up. If something like that happens three times, to me it's chronic! And the things that are chronic will catch up to bite you at the most inopportune times. Mark my words!

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Way, way, WAYYY too many mistakes. Shameful and embarrassing to see this defense get PUNKED at the LOS throughout the entirety of the game. Same goes for our OL. Ain't that some shit? We lose when we lose at the LOS on both sides? Amazing.

Soon as Keaton dropped that TD and Lamar overthrew a surefire TD to Zay, I knew we were in trouble.

they needed more pass blocking in the 2nd half
I get that but the kid is a game changer. He needs to at least have 7-10 Carrie’s a game.

I hate playing not to lose and that’s exactly how we played today after the early lead. When you take your foot off the gas pedal it never seems to work out well for us. Just can’t expect the defense to be great all the time.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
News flash John... YOU ARE THE HEAD COACH. You should absolutely be in charge of when players play. I've seen him answer this before about Gus or Dobbins, gets asked why we went away from them and gave this exact response.

Simba

Staff Member
While today wasn’t a good game, don’t do a 180 on the energy from the last several weeks. This team is still really good and a contender. A poor loss today doesn’t change that. Still a game we shouldn’t have lost but it is far from doom and gloom.