• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Defence, the Offence and the Coaching

Simba

Staff Member
Caught a little bit of the tape on Twitter and I felt compelled to come here and say Kyle Hamilton is why BPA is the best approach. Seemingly didn’t have a “spot” last year, worked his way into a role, and is now a top 5 if not better player on this roster.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Caught a little bit of the tape on Twitter and I felt compelled to come here and say Kyle Hamilton is why BPA is the best approach. Seemingly didn’t have a “spot” last year, worked his way into a role, and is now a top 5 if not better player on this roster.
Defensive mvp is madubuike but as far as the guy that’s most “key” in making it all work consistently, it’s either Hamilton or Ro, and I’m leaning very hard towards Hamilton, he has taken away so many key reads on so many key plays, it’s like you just can’t fuck with him don’t even bother. He’s like what I expected to see out of jalen Ramsey had he stayed at safety in the nfl, like if that dude had some bam bam kam in him.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Defensive mvp is madubuike but as far as the guy that’s most “key” in making it all work consistently, it’s either Hamilton or Ro, and I’m leaning very hard towards Hamilton, he has taken away so many key reads on so many key plays, it’s like you just can’t fuck with him don’t even bother. He’s like what I expected to see out of jalen Ramsey had he stayed at safety in the nfl, like if that dude had some bam bam kam in him.
how can you pick one defensive MVP. Only way is to give it to Macdonald.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not going to lie... I've been victory lapping for two years on this one. Not because I thought he'd be as good as he is, but mostly because I remember distinctly being one of the lone advocates for the fact that IF he fell to our lap on draft day, Eric wouldn't pass on him. Pretty much everybody else was aligned with the fact that because we had Clark and just signed Williams, there was no way we take him even if he's available.

Naturally nobody thought he would fall that far, but I believe we literally had our choice of 2-3 of these more prevalent "mocked" guys at the time it was our pick, and I believe Eric basically jizzed all over himself when he realized Hamilton was still there. Believe he said that they did very little pre-draft work on him, because they thought he was a consensus top 8-10 pick.

Simba

Staff Member
Not going to lie... I've been victory lapping for two years on this one. Not because I thought he'd be as good as he is, but mostly because I remember distinctly being one of the lone advocates for the fact that IF he fell to our lap on draft day, Eric wouldn't pass on him. Pretty much everybody else was aligned with the fact that because we had Clark and just signed Williams, there was no way we take him even if he's available.

Naturally nobody thought he would fall that far, but I believe we literally had our choice of 2-3 of these more prevalent "mocked" guys at the time it was our pick, and I believe Eric basically jizzed all over himself when he realized Hamilton was still there. Believe he said that they did very little pre-draft work on him, because they thought he was a consensus top 8-10 pick.
Think I even gave you your flowers on that one if I remember correctly. I always had him highly rated on my personal board but doubted we'd pick him after passing on Derwin a few years prior. Couldn't be more happy to have been wrong on that one. Always hard separating personal beliefs and what I think the team would do.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

are you kidding me. He was my top player in the draft. No way did I want to pass on him if he slid to us.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Think I even gave you your flowers on that one if I remember correctly. I always had him highly rated on my personal board but doubted we'd pick him after passing on Derwin a few years prior. Couldn't be more happy to have been wrong on that one. Always hard separating personal beliefs and what I think the team would do.
Eric did say that Derwin James would have been the pick if we hadn't traded down, out of 16, in 2018.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
are you kidding me. He was my top player in the draft. No way did I want to pass on him if he slid to us.
so... for sure Rossi said we'd pass, because he I recall vividly. Simba liked him, but didn't think we'd take him. And Simba back and forthed it a bit, and said we should take Jermaine Johnson over Hamilton right at pick time. So he gets half credit. First post is the page where I proposed the scenario of one of the top 3 tackles being on the board or Hamilton.

Props to JAAM, who was calling Hamilton all week.

Simba

Staff Member
so... for sure Rossi said we'd pass, because he I recall vividly. Simba liked him, but didn't think we'd take him. And Simba back and forthed it a bit, and said we should take Jermaine Johnson over Hamilton right at pick time. So he gets half credit. First post is the page where I proposed the scenario of one of the top 3 tackles being on the board or Hamilton.

Yep I liked Johnson a lot. Didn’t know the off field concerns at the time obviously. Always the hard thing about the draft when you get tape and reports only.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

yep i was wrong on that one lol
always gotta remember BPA - always kinda forget it in the moment haha

that was a wild few minutes though...
we picked hamilton and then somehow were back in the 1st round and then we found out hollywood was gone...

crazy draft
lots of fun

Simba

Staff Member

we picked hamilton and then somehow were back in the 1st round and then we found out hollywood was gone...

crazy draft
lots of fun
I was playing on my laptop at the time when I heard "and the Ravens have just traded..." and I don't think I've ever shut my laptop so quickly. Wanted 0 parts of the details being spoiled lol

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

crazy draft
lots of fun
I'm convinced Washington thought we were going to end up with Jordan Davis, so they traded down. They didn't envision Philly tradiing up for Davis and tbh, no way we take Davis with Hamilton available.

I do believe Hamilton would have been Washington's pick.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm convinced Washington thought we were going to end up with Jordan Davis, so they traded down. They didn't envision Philly tradiing up for Davis and tbh, no way we take Davis with Hamilton available.

Strong statement we wouldn't have taken Davis with Hamilton available. I know I would've been plenty pissed off but since he was gone I was good. When we was picking I was certain it was gonna be Hamilton.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor

Boo hoo hoo for Washington. Have to say they really fucked up last year's pick. Emmanuel Forbes I had going late 2nd or 3rd, and Christian Gonzalez was there. So i don't think they would've taken Kyle Hamilton, they would've taken Rodney Thomas or someone

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Boo hoo hoo for Washington. Have to say they really fucked up last year's pick. Emmanuel Forbes I had going late 2nd or 3rd, and Christian Gonzalez was there. So i don't think they would've taken Kyle Hamilton, they would've taken Rodney Thomas or someone
I heard some rumors that some teams were interested in him in the first round, so I thought he may be going at the end of the first. I certainly didn't think anyone would take him over Gonzalez.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Strong statement we wouldn't have taken Davis with Hamilton available. I know I would've been plenty pissed off but since he was gone I was good. When we was picking I was certain it was gonna be Hamilton.
I liked Davis but I had Hamilton as my number 1 or 2 player throughout the entire process.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
no question they screwed it up, but it was Washington.

Should have taken Christian Darisaw or JOK
Should have taken Hamilton
Should have taken Christian Gonzalez.

I can go on and on and on and on

when they make a good pick it's because they luck into it. ie McLauren

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
That was a fun draft to watch. I don't think anybody expected Hollywood to be traded.

Ojabo............................................

I was not shocked by the Hollywood trade given his desire to leave and Lamar stating he understood, but I was a little surprised that we got a 1st rounder for him. I think that was a masterful job. I also think that the trade had some legs because the fact that we got Kyle, which seemed completely unlikely in the weeks leading up to the draft, I firmly believe both lead to the trade for Roquan. I think they realized they had a real quality DEF backfield in the making, but lacked a true MLB. They were getting killed for a couple seasons with intermediate receptions in the middle LB area and all we had were hybrid LB's that were poor at playing the middle.

I had figured we'd not have a chance at Kyle, but I had suggested either S or MLB for a couple drafts just because of that coverage weakness over the middle. The first few games with Kyle, before the trade for Roquan, our middle was a mess. That Miami game was a disaster because the Dolphins found that weak underbelly and exploited it using it to engage both their running and deeper passing game, at least that's how I saw it. Since that trade for Roquan, while we've seen meltdowns sometimes, the middle has been beyond solid.

Kyle's ability to come up into the middle and still have the range to get back, Roquan's ability to play the entire middle, and Roquan's understanding of how to position the other LB's has trasformed this DEF. It was an in-season rebuild that was masterfully orchestrated by EDC. The fact that we got Roquan for a 2nd and 5th rounder and that the team sat tight while we, Philly and Washington played musical chairs is just astounding to me.

Last edited: