• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Defence, the Offence and the Coaching

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
After this game, I've decided on my next jersey.

Kyle Hamilton, 14, white.

Too bad there's no way to buy white ravens jerseys at the moment..

why the hell are the white jerseys all sold out
you may be able to get a good cyber monday deal if you buy another color

drjohnnyfever

Pro Bowler
Harbs would be fired had it not been for Lamar saving his ass in 2018 and on… he is a rah rah antiquated coach
Yeah, I don't want to open that can or worms, but we were a middling team, losing games, and looking lost that year. The "injury" to Joe amounted to nothing more than an excuse to try something new. And WOW how the NEW did! But that wasn't Harb's design! That was something thrown against the wall - the only alternative, really, that turned out to be gold. It was an accident. And John got the credit for unearthing it. Totally saved him.

Oh shit. I guess I just opened it anyway...

But just to be clear... now is not the time to fire JH or even consider it. Upsetting this rickety apple cart at this juncture is not the right thing. The team is a wrinkled sheet that needs some careful ironing going into Playoff season, but the coaching staff definitely needs to have a kumbaya bye week both together as coaches and with their guys to get everyone on the same page. Because these moments - stretches - in games where they look like a blind squirrel need to stop. And I really don't know if it's the coach or the players. But it's always easier to replace a coach... which is why everything is John's fault! lol ^_^

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Idk how the rules will be set up but down here, its basically all skill players. Guys like donald and olinmen arent out there.
Hill in terms of sheer athleticism and pure route running would be several steps better than whoever is the best flag football players. Even if they knew the perfect flag grabbing technique and how to play the rules slightly better, I do not think any of them would be able to cover Hill and the QBs themselves would be able to hit holes and timings that just are not even considered possible at that level.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Thank you! At least some people here agree that HARBS IS NOT THE PROBLEM. I suppose we should expect more from this kind of team, but was it Harbs that choked under the lights?
they were having an administrative / clock issue all game and it also affected the FGs. FGs is a pure timing issue and they even had a delay of game on one of them and that never happens. Tucker wasn't ready for that kick and that's why he missed it.

redrum52

Hall of Famer
I entered the game leading my fantasy opponent 117.3 to 109.2. My team is injured top to bottom but I've been able to build it up and compete, even with the 100 more points being scored against me than anyone else in the league. Sometimes it's just bad luck.

Anyway, I didn't have anyone else left. My opponent had gulp (Gus Edwards and Isaiah Likely). I basically was resigned to the fact that I would be losing. I ended up winning 117.30 to 116.90.

If Kyren Williams gets half a point less than the 32+ he ripped off, I lose.

Fantasy has done me dirty this year. Drafted Dobbins, Chubb, Andrews, Deebo, Achane and Addison. Either the player gets hurt, or their qb gets hurt. Didn't draft a QB until late so got stuck with Daniel Jones and Carr, but was going to take Richardson. Then when I'm a top 3 or 4 scorer I'm playing one of the few teams who are ahead of me in a 12 team league. Perfect storm of bullshit.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Fantasy has done me dirty this year. Drafted Dobbins, Chubb, Andrews, Deebo, Achane and Addison. Either the player gets hurt, or their qb gets hurt. Didn't draft a QB until late so got stuck with Daniel Jones and Carr, but was going to take Richardson. Then when I'm a top 3 or 4 scorer I'm playing one of the few teams who are ahead of me in a 12 team league. Perfect storm of bullshit.
I've had multiple players injured this year including Chubb, Deebo and also took a chance on Davante Adams. Also had Kyren Williams put on IR and took Lawrence who has underperformed for most of the year. I've also have over 100 points more points against than anyone in the league. I've been able to build up the team through waiver claims and still compete and have an outside chance at the playoffs since they begin in week 15. I've learned a lesson to not draft a Niner unless it's McCaffrey and I'm not sure I'd take him that high with his injury history.

Oh, came 2 picks away from taking Swift as a "take a chance on him with Philly" type of back.

I won the league last year and it's the family brawl (my wifes family) who are Pats fans. It's always fun to beat them, but this isn't my year.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Agree with the premise, though if you look at the actual outcomes, you'll see why:
1st turnover: we took over at LAC 34, kicked a FG. So we got 3 points off turnover
2nd turnover: we took over at LAC 47 with 26 seconds left in the half. Not a reasonable amount of time to mount a TD drive. Three points would have been good outcome, but we took a sack and got nothing.
3rd turnover: we took over at our own 23 yard line. Meaning we still needed to get like 40+ yards to get in FG range. Starting at your own 23 is basically the equivalent of where you would start on a punt or kickoff. You should view this turnover as a "win" in stopping the Chargers from getting any points more-so than how we responded to it.

So on three turnovers, you basically got two where you had favorable field position, and you got a FG off one of them. A FG would have been realistic on the other one, but a TD really isn't.

I think the whole "we needed to capitalize off turnovers" thing was a bit overblown in this particular game. One turnover literally ended the half, a second was very near the end of the half, and the third was fairly deep in our own territory.
Thanks for the breakdown Jacket. I see what you are getting at but even Lamar said: "It meant a lot (closing out the game with that last TD score by Zay) our defense was playing lights out all night, and we (the offense) wasn't doing what we usually do putting points on the board for those guys. But I'm grateful we got a great defense you know cause without them, we don't know how this game would have went."

So, his statement is a validation that the offense failed to capitalize more often on a few (perhaps not on all) of those turnover opportunities, and that missed Tucker FG. But, they did capitalize off of that 4th & 6 stoppage by the defense by finishing their drive with Zay's jet sweep TD to seal the game late in the 4th qrtr.

We know that it is hard to win on the road so to me, you have to take advantage of every opportunity to score as many points as you can in this game of inches.

Thezone27

Ravens Ring of Honor
I
Got dobbins and nothing else at RB pretty much(i wasted everything on WR) then he got injured i tried to get Gus but this guy with Josh Jacobs and Derick Henry picked him up. Now i got Keaton, but I was stuck with Zeke and Tyjae for a few weeks.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
I've had multiple players injured this year including Chubb, Deebo and also took a chance on Davante Adams. Also had Kyren Williams put on IR and took Lawrence who has underperformed for most of the year. I've also have over 100 points more points against than anyone in the league. I've been able to build up the team through waiver claims and still compete and have an outside chance at the playoffs since they begin in week 15. I've learned a lesson to not draft a Niner unless it's McCaffrey and I'm not sure I'd take him that high with his injury history.

Oh, came 2 picks away from taking Swift as a "take a chance on him with Philly" type of back.

I won the league last year and it's the family brawl (my wifes family) who are Pats fans. It's always fun to beat them, but this isn't my year.
Agree with the Niner point though I’d draft Aiyuk as well at least as a WR3 or flex. Man, I made some dumbass decisions this year. I’m still in 3rd place but the draft fucked me up. I took Drake London over Mike Evans. Didn’t trust Baker at all but at least I know never to draft another Falcons player as long as Arthur is there

Also made a stupid ass trade because I needed a better flex and sent Goff, Stefon and Hock for Lamar and Henry (with some other fluff players thrown in). I was comfortable with Amari and Nico and then of course Deshaun gets hurt for the season. Looking back at it I should’ve just picked up Dak or Stroud off of waivers and rolled with Drake at flex. Drake was supposed to be my WR3 and Khalil Herbert my flex but we all know how that turned out. It was just a weird year

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Agree with the Niner point though I’d draft Aiyuk as well at least as a WR3 or flex. Man, I made some dumbass decisions this year. I’m still in 3rd place but the draft fucked me up. I took Drake London over Mike Evans. Didn’t trust Baker at all but at least I know never to draft another Falcons player as long as Arthur is there

Also made a stupid ass trade because I needed a better flex and sent Goff, Stefon and Hock for Lamar and Henry (with some other fluff players thrown in). I was comfortable with Amari and Nico and then of course Deshaun gets hurt for the season. Looking back at it I should’ve just picked up Dak or Stroud off of waivers and rolled with Drake at flex. Drake was supposed to be my WR3 and Khalil Herbert my flex but we all know how that turned out. It was just a weird year
yeah, Aiyuk could be an option but I was burned by him a couple years ago. Just have that bad taste in my mind.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
Thanks for the breakdown Jacket. I see what you are getting at but even Lamar said: "It meant a lot (closing out the game with that last TD score by Zay) our defense was playing lights out all night, and we (the offense) wasn't doing what we usually do putting points on the board for those guys. But I'm grateful we got a great defense you know cause without them, we don't know how this game would have went."

So, his statement is a validation that the offense failed to capitalize more often on a few (perhaps not on all) of those turnover opportunities, and that missed Tucker FG. But, they did capitalize off of that 4th & 6 stoppage by the defense by finishing their drive with Zay's jet sweep TD to seal the game late in the 4th qrtr.

We know that it is hard to win on the road so to me, you have to take advantage of every opportunity to score as many points as you can in this game of inches.
Umm... his statement says nothing about turnovers or capitalizing off of them. The offense didn't put points on the board because the offense didn't put points on the board. We scored 20 points against a bad defense. It was really 13 points if you ignore the run at the end of the game from Flowers. And we got 3 points off favorable field position. So the offense itself really "manifested" 10 total points against a bad defense.

Situationally, we were dreadful. 4 of 13 on third down. 1 of 3 on 4th down. Didn't or couldn't stretch the field at all in the passing game. Running game was very good, and that's about it.

Again, on the four turnovers we had, you can reasonably expect MAYBE 10 points. Total.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor

How many people are in a league where Dak is available on waivers? And I can't imagine Stroud is on waivers beyond like September.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Umm... his statement says nothing about turnovers or capitalizing off of them. The offense didn't put points on the board because the offense didn't put points on the board. We scored 20 points against a bad defense. It was really 13 points if you ignore the run at the end of the game from Flowers. And we got 3 points off favorable field position. So the offense itself really "manifested" 10 total points against a bad defense.

Situationally, we were dreadful. 4 of 13 on third down. 1 of 3 on 4th down. Didn't or couldn't stretch the field at all in the passing game. Running game was very good, and that's about it.

Again, on the four turnovers we had, you can reasonably expect MAYBE 10 points. Total.
I guess the books should do this for all teams when they average out how many points they had per game. They should subtract short fields and unnecessary points. That's a friggin ridiculous statement.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
How many people are in a league where Dak is available on waivers? And I can't imagine Stroud is on waivers beyond like September.
Well, I actually drafted Dak lol. I dropped him during his slump and then someone picked him up a few weeks ago. As for Stroud, he wasn’t putting up insane numbers until week 9, and it’s a 1QB league, so everyone’s bench was full of skill positions

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Situationally, we were dreadful. 4 of 13 on third down. 1 of 3 on 4th down. Didn't or couldn't stretch the field at all in the passing game.
Running game was very good, and that's about it.

I have no doubt that Lamar knows that the offense failed to take advantage of a few of those defensive turnovers by putting more points on the board when they had the opportunity to do so. You can also add Tucker's missed FG with the other incidents you have mentioned here as well.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I guess the books should do this for all teams when they average out how many points they had per game. They should subtract short fields and unnecessary points. That's a friggin ridiculous statement.
I think its a great idea. Same concept as a pick-six. Looks great in the PPG stats, but your offense had nothing to do with it. If I can score points on offense by losing yardage or not even getting a first down, I probably shouldn't be using that as a metric to make it seem like I'm better than I really am.

And yes, garbage time stats, and points, from a context standpoint, shouldn't be a factor in evaluating teams either.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think its a great idea. Same concept as a pick-six. Looks great in the PPG stats, but your offense had nothing to do with it. If I can score points on offense by losing yardage or not even getting a first down, I probably shouldn't be using that as a metric to make it seem like I'm better than I really am.

And yes, garbage time stats, and points, from a context standpoint, shouldn't be a factor in evaluating teams either.
team points and offensive points is a different stat in its own right.