• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Resolved Ban political discussions please

Should political discussion be allowed on PurpleFlock? In a thread VS a dedicated section?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

K-Dog

MVP
If there were a sno-balls chance in hell ( which there isn't ) it would remain civil and respectful ( which it won't ) I would love it, but there is no way that is going to happen so really we are better off to not even bother trying.
Ever.

The Raven

Veteran
See attached. Nuff said.

Yikes. Here's the funny thing. I can deal with people with differing political views, but it's political nihilists that truly piss me off. It's not an illusion, and that sort of cheap rhetoric only cheapens our society.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yikes. Here's the funny thing. I can deal with people with differing political views, but it's political nihilists that truly piss me off. It's not an illusion, and that sort of cheap rhetoric only cheapens our society.

It is. Look into Natural Law. I love Mark Passio and Larken rose. This is a simple meme. If you look into anarchy and it's true meaning ( etymology 101) you'll see that statism and it's politics are sickening manipulations that are designed to create authority groups who differ in content but operate in the same context in order to survive.

I'm an anarchist. I see statism as the most evil of creations.
[doublepost=1495215927,1495215677][/doublepost]

The Raven

Veteran
It is. Look into Natural Law. I love Mark Passio and Larken rose. This is a simple meme. If you look into anarchy and it's true meaning ( etymology 101) you'll see that statism and it's politics are sickening manipulations that are designed to create authority groups who differ in content but operate in the same context in order to survive.

I'm an anarchist. I see statism as the most evil of creations.

I disagree entirely. As a reporter (say what you may about that), I cover three levels of government, and I see firsthand how the system works. It's definitely a flawed system, but it's essential. It's the process of deciding who gets what, when, and how. There are decisions made every day by government bodies -- who derive their power from the people -- that laypeople just aren't in a position to male. I don't see politics as an inherent manipulation. Some decisions will harm some people and benefit others, but in all, the goal is to help the most. You may argue that it's full of corruption, but I'll tell you this: there are more incompetent officials out there than corrupt ones, and incompetency is worst than corruption in a lot of cases.

Tell ya what, mark me down as a yes vote for politics. I'm a junkie and would probably be more civil talking about politics than football, lol.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
You need to read '' The most dangerous superstition'' by larken rose.

Every person i know who's had your viewpoint ( it's not your fault as you're brought up like everyone else to fall into this matrix) upbringing and institutionalized concept who has looked into voluntarist anarchy and this book, in particular, has done an 180.

I was like you. I fell into the collective trap of '' Oh, it's so unrealistic to have it any other way''.

Just like how democracy is a joke, where you basically have 2 wolves and a sheep deciding what to have for dinner so is the entire game of politics.

Here is a nice intro of larken rose's message. If you wish to see beyond this contrived paradigm, then good on you..if not i understand..cognitive dissonance is a bitch.

[doublepost=1495216895,1495216568][/doublepost]https://www.amazon.com/Most-Dangero...he+most+dangerous+superstition+by+larken+rose

once you read this book, you're whole viewpoint will change. You'll question things in an entirley different context.

The Raven

Veteran
You need to read '' The most dangerous superstition'' by larken rose.

Every person i know who's had your viewpoint ( it's not your fault as you're brought up like everyone else to fall into this matrix) upbringing and institutionalized concept who has looked into voluntarist anarchy and this book, in particular, has done an 180.

I was like you. I fell into the collective trap of '' Oh, it's so unrealistic to have it any other way''.

Just like how democracy is a joke, where you basically have 2 wolves and a sheep deciding what to have for dinner so is the entire game of politics.

Here is a nice intro of larken rose's message. If you wish to see beyond this contrived paradigm, then good on you..if not i understand..cognitive dissonance is a bitch.

Question: Who will build roads? Who decides which contractor to use? What standards are used? Who pays for it?

What about schools? What curriculum is used? Who decides on it? What gives them the authority to decide how to run schools? The consensus of a majority? Oh wait...

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Question: Who will build roads? Who decides which contractor to use? What standards are used? Who pays for it?

What about schools? What curriculum is used? Who decides on it? What gives them the authority to decide how to run schools? The consensus of a majority? Oh wait...

hahahaha

[doublepost=1495217723,1495217401][/doublepost]You guys really need to look beyond this iron web and wake up, it's not your fault..i understand this but it's the reason why the same crap keeps on happening . It's by design and you're the minions but also the executioners.

Read '' The most dangerous superstition'' by larken rose. I have a friend who read this book who dreamt of being a politician and got his PHD in Law and Politics at the age of 24! Once he read this book, he changed his ambition and how he saw his life forever.

K-Dog

MVP
I clicked "I don't care"
Truth be known I would love to see it happen I just don't think it is even possible to have legitimate respectful dialog in this internet age.

RavensDFan

Veteran
I disagree entirely. As a reporter (say what you may about that), I cover three levels of government, and I see firsthand how the system works. It's definitely a flawed system, but it's essential. It's the process of deciding who gets what, when, and how. There are decisions made every day by government bodies -- who derive their power from the people -- that laypeople just aren't in a position to male. I don't see politics as an inherent manipulation. Some decisions will harm some people and benefit others, but in all, the goal is to help the most. You may argue that it's full of corruption, but I'll tell you this: there are more incompetent officials out there than corrupt ones, and incompetency is worst than corruption in a lot of cases.

Tell ya what, mark me down as a yes vote for politics. I'm a junkie and would probably be more civil talking about politics than football, lol.

I think there just is more opportunities for corruption and less moral fortitude than in the past. Used to be politicians sent to DC lived, worked and knew their constituents (or a great number of them). While politics offered a decent living for sure, it wasn't the get rich quick scheme it has become today. Governing was also less centralized, so things in DC did not have the same power when most of what directly affected your life was local. Even local governing bodies have become corrupt these days. Some can certainly be called incompetence but I think there is likely more corruption than ever before as well.

I have a love/hate relationship with politics. I love a good political discussion but hate how most all of them devolve into name calling today.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Okay so let me be honest for a second. Yes I'm 19. But have been on both sides of the coin. Currently the family is affluent and I'm very lucky to be in this position. My opinions differ from the rest of my family and that is OKAY. I'm a double major in university in the fields of political science and economics. So I'll give you my opinions for a second.

I'm a slightly leaning right moderate. I'm a fiscal conservative, social liberal.

And yes, government is a necesity sadly. Whether or not you want to be patriotic or not is up to you, but at the end of the day, some people are too stupid to fully take care of themselves/ we need infastructure and protection because crazy people exist in the world. I hate the government, I don't trust the government, but they need to be there. And it sucks, but it's there.

That being said. Yes. It should be allowed. I'm as big of an advocate of the first amendment as anyone you're ever going to mee. Doesn't necesarily mean that I agree with you, but that's the beauty of it.

Sadly, I have to agree with ravensdfan on one part of the argument. Both sides of the arguement(liberals and conservatives) have resorted to namecalling, which halts productive discussion. Honestly, both are wrong. The correct solution to almost every issue arisen in debate is usually somewhere in the middle.

Mark me down as yes. I full on EMBRACE political disscusion and am more than willing to listen to other people's opinions.

Just don't be a jackass about it

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
You're too young to have taken time to question all this without being filtered by institutionalized ideologies of morals (which are anything BUT). At 19 I wouldn't expect you to see anything other than the argument you have put forth. You're out of school into uni and saturated in this nonsense.

You need to read the book I described. Everything you just said, I used to say. Now I realize how sickly and subconsciously indoctrinated I was.

Government creates the environment through generational and collective based obedience and fear and even more importantly, apathy.

LIT. If you look into Larken Rose's youtube videos and read his book there is NO way you'll see things from the vantage point you're seeing them.

Here is a video you should watch.

it's a start. Good luck.
[doublepost=1495274573,1495268411][/doublepost]

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I don't mind people having intelligent debates where people get to see both sides of the argument, but I just don't trust people to keep it civil. Somebody will get pissed off and then the conversation goes downhill from there.

The Raven

Veteran
I think there just is more opportunities for corruption and less moral fortitude than in the past. Used to be politicians sent to DC lived, worked and knew their constituents (or a great number of them). While politics offered a decent living for sure, it wasn't the get rich quick scheme it has become today. Governing was also less centralized, so things in DC did not have the same power when most of what directly affected your life was local. Even local governing bodies have become corrupt these days. Some can certainly be called incompetence but I think there is likely more corruption than ever before as well.

I have a love/hate relationship with politics. I love a good political discussion but hate how most all of them devolve into name calling today.

Maybe I'm lucky. So far in my journalistic career, I've seen a lot of folks that are literally too stupid to be corrupt. I'm desperate for my Watergate but goddamn, I'm just surprised when they can speak a complete sentence.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Okay so let me be honest for a second. Yes I'm 19. But have been on both sides of the coin. Currently the family is affluent and I'm very lucky to be in this position. My opinions differ from the rest of my family and that is OKAY. I'm a double major in university in the fields of political science and economics. So I'll give you my opinions for a second.

I'm a slightly leaning right moderate. I'm a fiscal conservative, social liberal.

And yes, government is a necesity sadly. Whether or not you want to be patriotic or not is up to you, but at the end of the day, some people are too stupid to fully take care of themselves/ we need infastructure and protection because crazy people exist in the world. I hate the government, I don't trust the government, but they need to be there. And it sucks, but it's there.

That being said. Yes. It should be allowed. I'm as big of an advocate of the first amendment as anyone you're ever going to mee. Doesn't necesarily mean that I agree with you, but that's the beauty of it.

Sadly, I have to agree with ravensdfan on one part of the argument. Both sides of the arguement(liberals and conservatives) have resorted to namecalling, which halts productive discussion. Honestly, both are wrong. The correct solution to almost every issue arisen in debate is usually somewhere in the middle.

Mark me down as yes. I full on EMBRACE political disscusion and am more than willing to listen to other people's opinions.

Just don't be a jackass about it
Well put

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
Sorry but there are no ''sides of the coin'' it's ike left wing and right wing..its the same bird.

There is truth and nothing more, nothing less..

Natural Law is the truth. Voluntaryist Anarchy is the only truthful and non slavery based way of life ( it's real meaning, not the stuff you're taught in school which btw is actually the essence of statism)

RavensDFan

Veteran
Maybe I'm lucky. So far in my journalistic career, I've seen a lot of folks that are literally too stupid to be corrupt. I'm desperate for my Watergate but goddamn, I'm just surprised when they can speak a complete sentence.

I'm honestly having a hard time deciding which would be the worst case scenario. That our elected officials are idiots, or that they're corrupt. :p

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Right now it is down the middle but I agree there is a time and place for everything. This isn't strictly a ravens board, my vision was a community board. Not sure politics is the best thing to be arguing about on here. As everyone stated, it can be cool if it stays civil as it has on here but it is definitely a risky topic. I will let the voting play out, as I don't want to be a dictator and block all freedoms until it goes wrong. People on this website I find to be extremely mature (with exceptions) but we will wait it out for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.