• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2024 WR Thread

rossihunter2

Staff Member
We'll see what happens with Odell in the offseason, but if he's not retained and Agholor doesn't stay then this position becomes a need yet again...

Would be hard to justify 1st round capital again but who knows...

Marvin Harrison Jr headlines this class as a very rare prospect in terms of his talent. Likely to be one of the first non-QBs off the board.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
We'll see what happens with Odell in the offseason, but if he's not retained and Agholor doesn't stay then this position becomes a need yet again...

Marvin Harrison Jr headlines this class as a very rare prospect in terms of his talent. Likely to be one of the first non-QBs off the board.
not too many GMs are going to pass on him and if they do, they shouldn't have their position.....unless they are drafting a top QB.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Harrison is going to the Bears. I can see them taking him with the top pick.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

I don't see OBJ coming back next season. I reckon he'll retire. It seems like he gets banged up on every other play.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Harrison is going to the Bears. I can see them taking him with the top pick.
They're currently picking sixth overall and picked first overall last year.

I don't know that Caleb Williams or Drake Maye are definitively the answer to their questions, but it's becoming increasingly clear that Fields isn't the answer in Chicago.

Outside of his two stellar games against Denver and Washington, he's just been... not good.

They're either going to trade back and try to surround Fields with a load of talent (I don't see this as likely) or stand pat and take one of the two top QBs, but they won't take Harrison Jr.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer

I don't know that Caleb Williams or Drake Maye are definitively the answer to their questions, but it's becoming increasingly clear that Fields isn't the answer in Chicago.

Outside of his two stellar games against Denver and Washington, he's just been... not good.

They're either going to trade back and try to surround Fields with a load of talent (I don't see this as likely) or stand pat and take one of the two top QBs, but they won't take Harrison Jr.
That's what a sane FO would do.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

Definitely possible but I can also see a trade with the Cards too. Fields is only in his 3rd year and providing a serious weapon like the Mazarati could be what the doctor ordered and snagging the Cards other 1st will only strengthen their offense. How bout adding Brock Bowers with that pick? Then they still have their 6th pick to do whatever. Lot of options there and yes I stand strongly that Harrison is gonna be a Bear cuz you know the Pats have to draft a QB. This all hinges on whether the Cards still have the 3rd pick.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Definitely possible but I can also see a trade with the Cards too. Fields is only in his 3rd year and providing a serious weapon like the Mazarati could be what the doctor ordered and snagging the Cards other 1st will only strengthen their offense. How bout adding Brock Bowers with that pick? Then they still have their 6th pick to do whatever. Lot of options there and yes I stand strongly that Harrison is gonna be a Bear cuz you know the Pats have to draft a QB. This all hinges on whether the Cards still have the 3rd pick.
Let's not pretend the Bears have nothing going at wide receiver. They traded for DJ Moore and you could do FAR worse than Darnell Mooney at the two spot. Not to mention Cole Kmet is pretty damn good and is coming into his own.

I won't pretend to watch tons of Bears games, but Bears fans are almost unanimous in suggesting that he processes slowly, doesn't work through progressions quickly, and holds the ball far too long. He's certainly got talent and a great skill set, but it's just not processing quickly enough in his head. The game is too fast for him.

Basically, Fields mentally is what haters think Lamar is.

Would Marvin Harrion Jr help? Sure. Absolutely. Will it translate to a ton of wins and a playoff berth? I'd bet against it. I just think Fields limits the offense too much. The Bears would be better off trying to take Williams or Maye (although, I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of Williams) and trying to figure a way to trade up for MHJ if they're that set on him. Hell, a receiving quartet of MHJ, Moore, Mooney, and Kmet would really help ease a young player into the league.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

the problem fields has is that he wants to stay aggressive and hit stuff downfield but hasnt progressed enough as a processor to make those reads quick enough - in college he was able to take his time and read vertical to vertical and then come down underneath

in the NFL he's not coming off the deep stuff

he's got a live arm, great athleticism - if he played more conservatively the way tyler huntley does, he'd be a much more successful QB with those traits - unfortunately he doesnt play like that and if he cant adjust he might flame out if/when he loses his starting job because the way he plays right now isnt great for a backup QB either

he's clearly not a franchise altering quarterback but it wouldnt surprise me if you put him in a quick hitter type offence with a shanahan tree guy that he might be very successful and efficient

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
the problem fields has is that he wants to stay aggressive and hit stuff downfield but hasnt progressed enough as a processor to make those reads quick enough - in college he was able to take his time and read vertical to vertical and then come down underneath

in the NFL he's not coming off the deep stuff

he's got a live arm, great athleticism - if he played more conservatively the way tyler huntley does, he'd be a much more successful QB with those traits - unfortunately he doesnt play like that and if he cant adjust he might flame out if/when he loses his starting job because the way he plays right now isnt great for a backup QB either

he's clearly not a franchise altering quarterback but it wouldnt surprise me if you put him in a quick hitter type offence with a shanahan tree guy that he might be very successful and efficient
The thing is, from what I've read, the Bears are trying to put him in an offense that gets the ball out quick and doesn't ask him to make many reads or hold the ball.

A lot of fans are upset because they think Fields best trait is his deep ball and the Bears are trying to force this short, quick offense, which he's doing poorly in.

Have to wonder how Fields would have turned out on a more competent organization. Either way, I don't think MHJ is his savior.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The thing is, from what I've read, the Bears are trying to put him in an offense that gets the ball out quick and doesn't ask him to make many reads or hold the ball.

A lot of fans are upset because they think Fields best trait is his deep ball and the Bears are trying to force this short, quick offense, which he's doing poorly in.

Have to wonder how Fields would have turned out on a more competent organization. Either way, I don't think MHJ is his savior.

i think he needs a new coach and maybe a new team too and the hope is he can have a career like tannehill/geno smith
im sure an additional weapon might help though - but the problems are definitely not all about supporting cast

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Let's not pretend the Bears have nothing going at wide receiver. They traded for DJ Moore and you could do FAR worse than Darnell Mooney at the two spot. Not to mention Cole Kmet is pretty damn good and is coming into his own.

I won't pretend to watch tons of Bears games, but Bears fans are almost unanimous in suggesting that he processes slowly, doesn't work through progressions quickly, and holds the ball far too long. He's certainly got talent and a great skill set, but it's just not processing quickly enough in his head. The game is too fast for him.

Would Marvin Harrion Jr help? Sure. Absolutely. Will it translate to a ton of wins and a playoff berth? I'd bet against it. I just think Fields limits the offense too much. The Bears would be better off trying to take Williams or Maye (although, I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of Williams) and trying to figure a way to trade up for MHJ if they're that set on him. Hell, a receiving quartet of MHJ, Moore, Mooney, and Kmet would really help ease a young player into the league.
To me it seems like Fields has been progressing every year but he is coming up on the last year of his rookie contract so a decision has to be made and I like the idea of building around him since his talent is so immense. Its not like Lamar has not progressed. I complained a lot about how he was a one read guy, holding the ball too long and forcing passes. The Bears are on an upswing and Harrison Jr is a massive upgrade. No other receiver even close to him. A sure thing imo whereas the 2 QB's are not.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
To me it seems like Fields has been progressing every year but he is coming up on the last year of his rookie contract so a decision has to be made and I like the idea of building around him since his talent is so immense. Its not like Lamar has not progressed. I complained a lot about how he was a one read guy, holding the ball too long and forcing passes. The Bears are on an upswing and Harrison Jr is a massive upgrade. No other receiver even close to him. A sure thing imo whereas the 2 QB's are not.
He's just not showing enough in the mental department. He's got raw talent, no doubt, but he just doesn't process reads quickly. He doesn't know what he's seeing, where the coverage is, where the windows are. He can have all the receiving talent in the world (and the Bears aren't devoid of talent), but bringing in MHJ isn't going to massively improve Fields. It might make Fields go from must replace to might as well ride out his contract and then replace him.

He's not the answer in Chicago.

I'm not opposed to the idea of drafting high end talent for their future rookie quarterback, but I know nothing about next years quarterbacks. Feels like I haven't heard names consistently like we did with Lawrence, Tua, Luck, Williams, etc.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
He's just not showing enough in the mental department. He's got raw talent, no doubt, but he just doesn't process reads quickly. He doesn't know what he's seeing, where the coverage is, where the windows are. He can have all the receiving talent in the world (and the Bears aren't devoid of talent), but bringing in MHJ isn't going to massively improve Fields. It might make Fields go from must replace to might as well ride out his contract and then replace him.

I'm not opposed to the idea of drafting high end talent for their future rookie quarterback, but I know nothing about next years quarterbacks. Feels like I haven't heard names consistently like we did with Lawrence, Tua, Luck, Williams, etc.
We'll have to see. He's played under 2 different managements and his 1st year was completely suckass and should be discarded when rating him. He has thrown more this year and relying less on his legs and I believe he can still upswing ie getting better at reading coverage and getting Harrison Jr (same school) will only help his progression. Harrison is just an extreme massive talent and will add so much to any offense. I do agree that if the Bears do want to go in a different direction this is the year but you can actually get a good QB in the 3rd imo with this class. Looking at some of the teams behind them a lot of them need QB's so this is gonna be interesting.

I guess we shouldn't be talking about QB's in the WR section lmao and imo Harrison Jr is head and shoulders above everybody else and I'm saying right now is gonna be better than his dad "shudders". Thank gawd he will not be in the AFCN.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
We'll have to see. He's played under 2 different managements and his 1st year was completely suckass and should be discarded when rating him. He has thrown more this year and relying less on his legs and I believe he can still upswing ie getting better at reading coverage and getting Harrison Jr (same school) will only help his progression. Harrison is just an extreme massive talent and will add so much to any offense. I do agree that if the Bears do want to go in a different direction this is the year but you can actually get a good QB in the 3rd imo with this class. Looking at some of the teams behind them a lot of them need QB's so this is gonna be interesting.

I guess we shouldn't be talking about QB's in the WR section lmao and imo Harrison Jr is head and shoulders above everybody else and I'm saying right now is gonna be better than his dad "shudders". Thank gawd he will not be in the AFCN.
I think it's irrelevant that MHJ played at OSU considering Fields didn't play with him, so it isn't a Chase-Burrow situation.

Plus, like you said- two different managements, including this current regime that didn't draft him. I don't imagine Poles will want to hang his hat on Justin Fields any further. He'll want his guy.

Yes, MHJ will be an extremely high pick and if I had to guess, he will be a Cardinal.

Simba

Staff Member

This 100%. Has the physical talent but the mental isn't there and it's very obvious when you watch him. Just can't process like he did in college because this is big boy football. Think there's still something to salvage there if you get him into a quick hitter offense, but that's not going to be in Chicago.