• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2024 WR Thread

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i mean i think worthy might be faster than hollywood tbh - i think the thing that made hollywood a 1st rounder was his ability to beat press on the outside and idk that ive seen anything like that from worthy on tape
I'm not sure if he's faster, but he's definitely just as fast. I don't think he's as good as Hollywood down field though. They are different types of receivers though. Worthy is more physical.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Daniel Jeremiah has us picking Troy Franklin OR 6'3" explosive WR in the 1st round (32).

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Would definitely like that pick
I have mixed feeling at this point but could easily get on board. I'd prefer an OT to take over for Stanley in 2025 or a cornerback like Kool-Aid if he's available. In DJ's mock, Kool-Aid is drafted one pick before us.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
I have mixed feeling at this point but could easily get on board. I'd prefer an OT to take over for Stanley in 2025 or a cornerback like Kool-Aid if he's available. In DJ's mock, Kool-Aid is drafted one pick before us.
Yeah both of those positions also make sense to me. I think when you're picking 32, you just gotta pick the guy you like. Position matters a whole lot less.

I don't usually like the idea of OT at 32 though. I feel there's a much better chance of getting a good CB there. Certainly WR.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah both of those positions also make sense to me. I think when you're picking 32, you just gotta pick the guy you like. Position matters a whole lot less.

I don't usually like the idea of OT at 32 though. I feel there's a much better chance of getting a good CB there. Certainly WR.
Typically you are going 32 because you aren't a perfect prospect. We aren't going to be picking 6 anytime soon like we did for Stanley. Joe D is one of the best OL coaches iin the league and hopefully the prospect can play left guard as well for a season before moving to left tackle.

One thing to consider is Vorhees has played all over the line as well playing left guard, right guard and even left tackle. He was on NIL all season so we still have four seasons left with him.

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
Typically you are going 32 because you aren't a perfect prospect. We aren't going to be picking 6 anytime soon like we did for Stanley. Joe D is one of the best OL coaches iin the league and hopefully the prospect can play left guard as well for a season before moving to left tackle.

One thing to consider is Vorhees has played all over the line as well playing left guard, right guard and even left tackle. He was on NIL all season so we still have four seasons left with him.
Yeah I think we'll find that RG is Cleveland's job. Between a cheap deal for Simpson or Sala or Vorhees I bet LG is just fine.

My guess is Faalele is not the answer. Mekari is great for what he is, but OT is not looking good right now.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

at 32 we likely will not have the choice of positions to draft
BPA at whatever the position, but WR and OT look like positions with the most potential 1st round type guys as well as guys likely to be available later in the round

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
at 32 we likely will not have the choice of positions to draft
BPA at whatever the position, but WR and OT look like positions with the most potential 1st round type guys as well as guys likely to be available later in the round
yeah it's a good year to be looking to draft for those positions and I always hope the Ravens take bpa

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
What is everyones opinion on Jalen Coker, the 6'3 WR out of Holy Cross. I think he's going to go day 3, but the guy has some mits.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Haven't seen a second of him but I was reading something about him earlier coincidentally
yeah, I've been watching some highlights of him over the week. Haven't gotten down to the actual film yet. Looks good, has some translatable skills. Has high and late hands which isn't easy to do.

Argentina Raven

Practice Squad
Interesting article by Mike Renner on the WR draft class

some of those that might interest us and that may be available in our turn, in my opinion

X-Receivers:
Adonai Mitchell, Texas (3rd Year | 6-4, 196)
The biggest thing that separates Mitchell from the two players above him on this list is polish. He showed the ability to leave even the best corners he faced in the dust, but did so on an inconsistent basis. His best routes incorporated some element of free-styling or double moves this past season. At minimum he’ll be a red zone weapon; 18 of his 93 career receptions resulted in scores.

Javon Baker, UCF (4th Year | 6-1, 208)
Baker is the shortest of the X-receivers at 6-1, but when you flip on his tape you see he has no issues getting vertical on the outside. His 21.9 yards per reception last season (52 catches for 1,139 yards) make that glaringly evident as well. Baker started his career at Alabama before transferring to UCF and racking up nearly 2,000 yards the past two seasons. He’s a little loose with his landmarks as a route-runner, but the physical talent is exactly what you’d expect from a former top Alabama receiving recruit. The man not only has high-end juice, but also the ability to run any route in the playbook. He’s an “X” for purposes of this exercise, although in an NFL offense he can legitimately line up anywhere.

7. Ja’Lynn Polk, Washington (4th Year | 6-2, 204)
Polk could very well be this class’s Puka Nacua, the receiver who has average testing numbers yet does everything at such a high-level that it doesn’t matter. Polk is physical, savvy, and reliable — a coveted combination when having to diagnose complex coverages in today’s NFL. He may not have the ceiling of others in this class, but he’s got a very high-floor.

Y-Receivers

4. Troy Franklin, Oregon (3rd Year | 6-3, 187)
Franklin is yet another receiver with top-end speed who has to be accounted for. The Oregon offense didn’t attack downfield much, but when it did Franklin was the go-to guy. Not only is his top-end speed formidable, but he gets up to it in a hurry off the line of scrimmage. That makes pressing him a boom-or-bust proposition.

The worry with Franklin is the fact that he’s skinny and it shows up on tape. Unlike Xavier Worthy, Franklin doesn’t have the short-area quicks at his height to consistently avoid contact; you’ll see him get jostled at the line often.

5. Jermaine Burton, Alabama (4th Year | 6-0, 194)
Yep, more speed. It’s hard to average 20.5 yards per catch like Burton did this past season without it. Not only does Burton have that high-end gear, but he also has elite ball-tracking ability. That’s a winning combination. Though he may just be a bit of a one-trick pony in that regard compared to the rest of this group.

Slot Receivers (Z-Receiver.

Malachi Corley, Western Kentucky (4th Year | 5-11, 210)
Corley has been dubbed mini-Deebo Samuel and it’s easy to see why. He’s one of the few wide receivers that will break tackles via the truck stick rather than making guys miss. The worry is that doing so is much easier in Conference-USA than it will be against NFL corners. The good news is that physicality isn’t simply a post-catch feature in Corley’s game. He’ll block and throw a jab into a defender’s chest at the top of his route to create separation as well.

Ainias Smith, Texas A&M (5th Year | 5-10, 200)
If it seems like Smith’s name has been on the radar as a prospect for forever, that’s because it kind of has. He was seeing legit snaps for the Aggies as a true freshman in 2019. The problem was his role didn’t ever quite advance past gadget player. For that reason he’s one of my favorite prospects in this class to switch positions. His size and tackle-breaking ability makes me think he could switch to running back at the next level and be a weapon in space

ndub

Ravens Ring of Honor
Interesting article by Mike Renner on the WR draft class

some of those that might interest us and that may be available in our turn, in my opinion

X-Receivers:
Adonai Mitchell, Texas (3rd Year | 6-4, 196)
The biggest thing that separates Mitchell from the two players above him on this list is polish. He showed the ability to leave even the best corners he faced in the dust, but did so on an inconsistent basis. His best routes incorporated some element of free-styling or double moves this past season. At minimum he’ll be a red zone weapon; 18 of his 93 career receptions resulted in scores.

Javon Baker, UCF (4th Year | 6-1, 208)
Baker is the shortest of the X-receivers at 6-1, but when you flip on his tape you see he has no issues getting vertical on the outside. His 21.9 yards per reception last season (52 catches for 1,139 yards) make that glaringly evident as well. Baker started his career at Alabama before transferring to UCF and racking up nearly 2,000 yards the past two seasons. He’s a little loose with his landmarks as a route-runner, but the physical talent is exactly what you’d expect from a former top Alabama receiving recruit. The man not only has high-end juice, but also the ability to run any route in the playbook. He’s an “X” for purposes of this exercise, although in an NFL offense he can legitimately line up anywhere.

7. Ja’Lynn Polk, Washington (4th Year | 6-2, 204)
Polk could very well be this class’s Puka Nacua, the receiver who has average testing numbers yet does everything at such a high-level that it doesn’t matter. Polk is physical, savvy, and reliable — a coveted combination when having to diagnose complex coverages in today’s NFL. He may not have the ceiling of others in this class, but he’s got a very high-floor.

Y-Receivers

4. Troy Franklin, Oregon (3rd Year | 6-3, 187)
Franklin is yet another receiver with top-end speed who has to be accounted for. The Oregon offense didn’t attack downfield much, but when it did Franklin was the go-to guy. Not only is his top-end speed formidable, but he gets up to it in a hurry off the line of scrimmage. That makes pressing him a boom-or-bust proposition.

The worry with Franklin is the fact that he’s skinny and it shows up on tape. Unlike Xavier Worthy, Franklin doesn’t have the short-area quicks at his height to consistently avoid contact; you’ll see him get jostled at the line often.

5. Jermaine Burton, Alabama (4th Year | 6-0, 194)
Yep, more speed. It’s hard to average 20.5 yards per catch like Burton did this past season without it. Not only does Burton have that high-end gear, but he also has elite ball-tracking ability. That’s a winning combination. Though he may just be a bit of a one-trick pony in that regard compared to the rest of this group.

Slot Receivers (Z-Receiver.

Malachi Corley, Western Kentucky (4th Year | 5-11, 210)
Corley has been dubbed mini-Deebo Samuel and it’s easy to see why. He’s one of the few wide receivers that will break tackles via the truck stick rather than making guys miss. The worry is that doing so is much easier in Conference-USA than it will be against NFL corners. The good news is that physicality isn’t simply a post-catch feature in Corley’s game. He’ll block and throw a jab into a defender’s chest at the top of his route to create separation as well.

Ainias Smith, Texas A&M (5th Year | 5-10, 200)
If it seems like Smith’s name has been on the radar as a prospect for forever, that’s because it kind of has. He was seeing legit snaps for the Aggies as a true freshman in 2019. The problem was his role didn’t ever quite advance past gadget player. For that reason he’s one of my favorite prospects in this class to switch positions. His size and tackle-breaking ability makes me think he could switch to running back at the next level and be a weapon in space

Ainias Smith... is he like a smaller version of Ty Montgomery? Started off as a WR, became a RB hybrid.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
That Malachi Corley hype is so fake. I've never seen a small receiver be so slow and heavy footed.

Keep seeing ppl say he’s like Deebo and I’m gobsmacked - Deebo was a good route runner with high-end athleticism coming out

Corley is a gadget merchant vs lower level competition - doesn’t look particularly remarkable as an athlete to me either

In a receiving class with absolutely tons of guys, not sure why ppl are hyping him up

Jacquouille

Ravens Ring of Honor
Supporter
Keep seeing ppl say he’s like Deebo and I’m gobsmacked - Deebo was a good route runner with high-end athleticism coming out

Corley is a gadget merchant vs lower level competition - doesn’t look particularly remarkable as an athlete to me either

In a receiving class with absolutely tons of guys, not sure why ppl are hyping him up
Every year there's a Deebo comp and experts pretend they see it, and it just never makes sense.