• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Nightmare, the Turnovers and the Season's Over

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
i've seen DPIs in that spot multiple times. You're clearly reaching.
No, you haven't. And in reality, you don't want DPI in that spot either. It's just a bailout for the offense. If Likely doesn't get touched, he's still never coming within a stratosphere of catching that ball. The absolute best thing he could ever do is play defense to stop one of the other three guys going from the ball from catching it. Not only isn't a spot where you want the QB to make that throw, the throw itself isn't even good. It's short, put in a spot where his receiver can practically never get it.

It's a total bailout. Rewarding offensive players for simply not being good at offense. I sit here every week and listen to our own fans bitch about refs bailing out QBs for bad throws with PI flags. Throwing the ball 10 yards short on purpose so the receiver has to "run into" the defender to make a play. This isn't as egregious as that, but it's not a catchable ball.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
When I say blatant I am saying that in order to get a PI on a hail mary you basically have to have grabbed the receiver and thrown him early. Hitting him early is never going to get a PI on a hail mary and similarly it is not going to get called when you throw into triple coverage.

All this talk about how it should be PI seems to be ignoring that it was by far the worst throw any QB has made in the entire playoffs. There is no sugar coating it. That was a terrible horrendous decision that I cannot comprehend because there was no world where Likely was going to come down with that ball.
I have never suggested the throw and decision weren't bad, so saying that is irrelevant to the point.

The fact of the matter is the defender shoved him down well before the ball was even in frame. It was textbook DPI. Like, you'd put that in example videos of what DPI looks like.

Absolutely horrible no call.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I have never suggested the throw and decision weren't bad, so saying that is irrelevant to the point.

The fact of the matter is the defender shoved him down well before the ball was even in frame. It was textbook DPI. Like, you'd put that in example videos of what DPI looks like.

agree and as Adreme is suggesting that no dpi's are called on hail mary's. This was not a hail mary.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
agree and as Adreme is suggesting that no dpi's are called on hail mary's. This was not a hail mary.
I'm also laughing at the suggestion that I wouldn't want DPI called there.

Yes, I would. I wouldn't be mad that the ref called DPI; I'd be mad my team's player committed an unnecessary DPI.

If we're going to suggest offenses shouldn't be bailed out, I'd counter defenses shouldn't be rewarded with no calls on obvious flags. That's equally problematic.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor

Its absolutely consistent with how the NFL has called plays like for 20 years. Every single hail mary has clear and obvious PI but they will never call it because when there are that many players in a pile you need to commit far more obvious than what was shown to even consider it. It is yet another reason you do not throw into triple coverage.

Bama Ravens

Veteran
After sleeping on it…

I’m still incredibly pissed at whatever that trash game plan was on offense. When has it ever been a good idea to completely abandon your identity in a playoff game? What made Harbaugh, Monken and Co. think, “Lamar is a pocket passer and we’re going to depend on his arm.” was good game plan? Six running plays with the running backs in the entire game. Just shameful how bad that game plan was.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Its absolutely consistent with how the NFL has called plays like for 20 years. Every single hail mary has clear and obvious PI but they will never call it because when there are that many players in a pile you need to commit far more obvious than what was shown to even consider it. It is yet another reason you do not throw into triple coverage.
Well, that's not a hail mary, so we can stop mentioning that.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
It is the same situation though. The reason that no DPIs are called on hail mary's is not because of the situation but because you have a bunch of players all around the ball going for it. You can do a hail mary on the 4th play of the game and it is still a hail mary.

You are just never going to get that PI call unless you reach the hail mary PI standard which that clearly was not, and not even close to it. In 20 years I can count on one hand the amount of times I have seen PI called on plays like that.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It is the same situation though. The reason that no DPIs are called on hail mary's is not because of the situation but because you have a bunch of players all around the ball going for it. You can do a hail mary on the 4th play of the game and it is still a hail mary.

You are just never going to get that PI call unless you reach the hail mary PI standard which that clearly was not, and not even close to it. In 20 years I can count on one hand the amount of times I have seen PI called on plays like that.
no, the definition of a hail mary is at the end of the half or end of the game when the time is running out. That is the clear definition of a hail mary. If it's done at any other point in the game those penalties get called and have been called.

The Hail Mary was made famous because Roger Staubach through a desperation pass to Drew Pearson and said a hail mary. That is what a Hail Mary is in football.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well, that's not a hail mary, so we can stop mentioning that.
Hail Mary is not determined by the time left but by the throw itself. He threw it up to 4 people (3 of whom were on the other team). That is a Hail Mary. When there are 4 people competing for the ball you are not going to get PI. The past 20 years of football says so. Now maybe you want to argue the NFL has been calling it wrong for 20 years but that seems like a thing to argue in the offseason that they should change the points of emphasis rather than suddenly do a 180 in the AFC Championship game.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
no, the definition of a hail mary is at the end of the half or end of the game when the time is running out. That is the clear definition of a hail mary. If it's done at any other point in the game those penalties get called and have been called.
20 years of watching 5 games a week, plus highlights, and I can count on 1 hand the amount of times throwing it up into a pile of 4 people and you see any attempt to call PI. As an aside I see PI in those situations well over half the time but again the refs are not going to call that.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Hail Mary is not determined by the time left but by the throw itself. He threw it up to 4 people (3 of whom were on the other team). That is a Hail Mary. When there are 4 people competing for the ball you are not going to get PI. The past 20 years of football says so. Now maybe you want to argue the NFL has been calling it wrong for 20 years but that seems like a thing to argue in the offseason that they should change the points of emphasis rather than suddenly do a 180 in the AFC Championship game.
In a hail mary, we generally see several players and defenders all jockeying for position and fighting for the ball that's coming with players in position.

This is comparable only in numbers (sorta), but there were two defenders not playing the ball and one outright tackled Likely.

It isn't 1 to 1.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
20 years of watching 5 games a week, plus highlights, and I can count on 1 hand the amount of times throwing it up into a pile of 4 people and you see any attempt to call PI. As an aside I see PI in those situations well over half the time but again the refs are not going to call that.
and I was watching football before you were born as many games as you have. I saw that first hail mary that Roger Staubach through also.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Kelce had 11 catches for 116 yards, and time and time again in critical situations, he was their go to guy. If it was third and 7, we all knew who Mahomes was going to target.
Why didn’t the Ravens know it? Was it impossible for us to cover the guy?

they did know
they did cover him (well in most cases)

he and mahomes were just elite on the margins of those critical plays - kelce made 2 or 3 miraculous catches in situations that required elite body adjustments for a TE, and he did

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
they did know
they did cover him (well in most cases)

he and mahomes were just elite on the margins of those critical plays - kelce made 2 or 3 miraculous catches in situations that required elite body adjustments for a TE, and he did
yep and that's why Kelce is one of the best TEs to play the game.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm also laughing at the suggestion that I wouldn't want DPI called there.

Yes, I would. I wouldn't be mad that the ref called DPI; I'd be mad my team's player committed an unnecessary DPI.

If we're going to suggest offenses shouldn't be bailed out, I'd counter defenses shouldn't be rewarded with no calls on obvious flags. That's equally problematic.
Well except its not equally problematic when most of the structures of the rulebook are designed to enhance scoring.