• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2024 Offseason Thread

QtR Nevermore

Pro Bowler
Funny that nobody mentions how less than average our O line was most of the time last season.
Because it wasn't. Maybe it was worse than an average Ravens line, though PFF ranked it 5th at the end of the season, but it definitely wasn't below average league-wide. I think Ravens fans are just used to always having good lines.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
Because it wasn't. Maybe it was worse than an average Ravens line, though PFF ranked it 5th at the end of the season, but it definitely wasn't below average league-wide. I think Ravens fans are just used to always having good lines.
If anything the turnover on the OLine is a big concern. Going from having a top 5 OLine where you are replacing 3 starters and one of the 2 remaining is often injured is absolutely a point of concern.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Funny that nobody mentions how less than average our O line was most of the time last season.
It was inevitable that both Simpson and Zeitler was gone this season to me. Part of me thought Moses would stay but I get it.

I feel like no matter who we draft on the oline, that person is gonna struggle his rookie year. Hope we make a trade to get some vets on the inside
Sure, but I trust Joe D with our OL. Early struggles, growing pains, etc. but I'm confident that there'll be improvement as the season progresses. That's why I'm not too worried about the OL.

rmcjacket23

Ravens Ring of Honor
It was inevitable that both Simpson and Zeitler was gone this season to me. Part of me thought Moses would stay but I get it.

Sure, but I trust Joe D with our OL. Early struggles, growing pains, etc. but I'm confident that there'll be improvement as the season progresses. That's why I'm not too worried about the OL.
I look at it this way... even at the beginning of last season, there's just no version of reality where Moses, Zeitler or Simpson were Ravens beyond '24. And Stanley was less than 50% to be.
So you either rip off the band aid this year or next year. By doing it this year, you basically have two seasons to get the Oline the way you want it. We're not going to get three high quality Olineman via FA/draft this year (or at least highly unlikely we do). But we may get one or two.

Guard I expect they'll sign a veteran at some point + draft at least one more. That'll give you guy like 3-4 guys to compete for two spots. Tackle we'll add somebody in the draft, and that'll give you four Tackles on the roster.

My takes on the Oline, league-wide, are simple:
a) you don't need a good one. You just can't have a bad one. There are plenty of teams that win heaps of games in this league with average or slightly above average Olines.
b) depth on the Oline is critical. Having five good starters is great, but if you have no depth, it won't matter. If you get 50% of your games with your entire Oline on the field at the same time, that's like super elite level durability. Many teams are lucky to get a month in a season where your whole Oline is on the field together. Depth is critical.
That's what makes guys like Mekari so valuable to us. Same with Hurst before him. Most people would be hard pressed to find teams that have a third Tackle as good as him.

Baltimorican

Practice Squad
Yeah they were mostly solid to good, but there were a half here a half there where injuries had them performing awful. They were healthy the 1st half of AFCCG though, and that was one of those awful stretches.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah they were mostly solid to good, but there were a half here a half there where injuries had them performing awful. They were healthy the 1st half of AFCCG though, and that was one of those awful stretches.
I’m still so mad Stanley couldn’t hold that block for a half second more, could have really changed the game flow

JAAM

Hall of Famer
The hip drop tackle seems to be on the way out. If passed, it will be a 15 yard penalty and automatic first down.

Bengals fans are so mad at this lol

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I feel like no matter who we draft on the oline, that person is gonna struggle his rookie year. Hope we make a trade to get some vets on the inside

Did you feel like this about Stanley and Tyler when we took them?

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Bengals fans are so mad at this lol
And won’t recognize the irony of them for years complaining about the Steelers and citing rule changes from hits Steeler players made on them as vindication for their victim complex. That’s my take, you can’t even bring up Shazier without Bengal fans saying he deserves it, not to defend the dirty Steelers too much, just saying