• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The 2024 Offseason Thread

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Went out to Colorado to hit the slopes to forget about the game , ski past a guy in cheifs jacket and see a guy in chiefs championship hat at the bottom, thought they’d be shunned here. I’m bringing out the Lamar jersey tomorrow

Tank

Hall of Famer
Went out to Colorado to hit the slopes to forget about the game , ski past a guy in cheifs jacket and see a guy in chiefs championship hat at the bottom, thought they’d be shunned here. I’m bringing out the Lamar jersey tomorrow
Glutton for punishment. lol

ravenslord

Ravens Ring of Honor

Nice haven’t skied in a few years cause my wife had a hip replacement. Used to ski 30 days a year at Vail for 40 years.

Biggest complaint I have now is ski area programs where if you pay extra you get on slopes first on powder days. They get in gondola at 730 am when it opens at 830 am . Most everything is tracked out before I get on slopes at 845am.

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
Nice haven’t skied in a few years cause my wife had a hip replacement. Used to ski 30 days a year at Vail for 40 years.

Biggest complaint I have now is ski area programs where if you pay extra you get on slopes first on powder days. They get in gondola at 730 am when it opens at 830 am . Most everything is tracked out before I get on slopes at 845am.
That’s pretty cool, I got into it later than I wish I did because I assumed it was the same as water skiiing which I suck at. I only went to Vail once but I wasn’t as competent as I am now so I didn’t get to experience the way I’d like to, I’m nothing special but I can do blacks out west and do the double black at . Snowshoe in West Virginia. China doll at Vail is one I remember being fun, it may be a black i accidentally skied onto. I’m at Steamboat right now

OURavensFan

Ravens Ring of Honor
This has nothing to do with conspiracy. Just a statement that the quality of NFL officiating is so unbelievably bad it makes me question of this sport is watchable? This is just another in an enormous line of mistakes this year.

The chiefs are a bullshit dynasty it’s insanity what they get away with. I saw a super bowl montage of chiefs holding and all were more egregious than this

UPennChem

Hall of Famer
The chiefs are a bullshit dynasty it’s insanity what they get away with. I saw a super bowl montage of chiefs holding and all were more egregious than this
They're not a bs dynasty but they do get, to some extent, special treatment. Idk how Shanahan can see what everyone else does, say it to the refs, and truly not get equality. He didn't say penalize them. He just said call it fairly.

purplepittabread88

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah. Annoying as hell. It’s funny, not too long ago someone was complaining about the ads at the top, now this.
I agree its been too much but no permissions have changed. going to give it a look sometime soon. its insane how much random shit can go wrong on a website. never makes any fucking sense

This has nothing to do with conspiracy. Just a statement that the quality of NFL officiating is so unbelievably bad it makes me question of this sport is watchable? This is just another in an enormous line of mistakes this year.

Could be getting worse IDK, but I think it’s always been bad to some extent. It’s just that now the technology has advanced to a point where the fans get 15 different angles of every play, and the refs only get one, and it’s at live bullet speed. The majority of plays cannot be challenged, which is where it all comes to the surface.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Could be getting worse IDK, but I think it’s always been bad to some extent. It’s just that now the technology has advanced to a point where the fans get 15 different angles of every play, and the refs only get one, and it’s at live bullet speed. The majority of plays cannot be challenged, which is where it all comes to the surface.
One ref constantly watches the offensive line. Only egregious holding should be called but the refs need to be consistent and they're not.

marklar

Pro Bowler
IMO, the rules are simply too complex for any human to handle perfectly at the speed of the modern game.
What annoys me is how little the league does to help the refs. Start off by autmating easy shite like delay of game, offsides, illegal formation and false start that should be dirt cheap with some sensors and image processing software, and you take off some of the load and let the refs focus on important stuff.
But no, the NFL wants to preserve ols men running around with chains as a normative measurements... go figure

IMO, the rules are simply too complex for any human to handle perfectly at the speed of the modern game.
What annoys me is how little the league does to help the refs. Start off by autmating easy shite like delay of game, offsides, illegal formation and false start that should be dirt cheap with some sensors and image processing software, and you take off some of the load and let the refs focus on important stuff.
But no, the NFL wants to preserve ols men running around with chains as a normative measurements... go figure
Yeah I agree. They could be implementing more technology. As long as humans have to make these split second decisions it’s never going to be perfect. On the other hand there’s something to be said about refs letting them play the game without calling a bunch of bs penalties. With tech it will be black & white with no decisions about whether a holding penalty or a PI was egregious or not, as an example.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah I agree. They could be implementing more technology. As long as humans have to make these split second decisions it’s never going to be perfect. On the other hand there’s something to be said about refs letting them play the game without calling a bunch of bs penalties. With tech it will be black & white with no decisions about whether a holding penalty or a PI was egregious or not, as an example.
I would worry about a huge uptick in penalties if that happened. Especially with holding. You could call that on every single play on both offense and defense.

Sooky

Pro Bowler
I would worry about a huge uptick in penalties if that happened. Especially with holding. You could call that on every single play on both offense and defense.
Sounds to me then they need to revisit those rules. Or else they are all subjective and it will never be an even playing field. I like the idea of automating false starts, offsides, delay of game, give the refs less to have to worry about and flesh out some rules. NFL seems the most hesitant league to bring in more tech. It will turn into football WWE.

marklar

Pro Bowler
While not a direct reply to me, I'm the one who brought up automation, so...

I fully agree that there's no reason to automate *all* calls. There are a lot of calls that are completely subjective, i.e. holding, PI, illegal contact, intentional grounding and to some extent illegal man downfield. Like @Sooky said, there are reason to revisit those rules to *reduce* the amount of subjectivity, but it will always be some amount of it there, so we need to have humans make those calls. What I'm arguing for is the calls that are always boolean and there's really no interpretation involved. And there, I think the NFL is just being silly. If I'd force them to automate one and only one call, it has to be delay of game, it's just inexcusable when you see teams overrun the clock by a couple of seconds and not get called because some geriatric guy in stripes cannot watch both the clock and the ball at the same time.

Other things where refs could definitely be helped by technology would be out-of-bounds calls. Sensors+video should be able to catch most of those a lot better than the human eye, but could still be advisory with e.g. some beep in their headsets. One sort-of-subjective penalty that is probably also relatively easy to have computer-assisted calls should be hands to the face, those are usually pretty clear-cut when you see them on the replays.

Anyways, I don't think any of this will happen in such an ass-backwards league as this ;)