• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 OL Thread

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
For what it's worth, I agree. Bradbury is significantly better than Skura. My question comes more in the line of how you think something like this through as an organization. Publicly, they're obviously in full support of Lamar, but we know deep down, they're certainly considering the possibility that it doesn't work out. If it doesn't work out and say the next QB you draft is another Flacco that fits better in a power run scheme, where does that leave Bradbury? I'm sure they're thinking of these things long term and how they want to invest. It's more thinking out loud whether or not they might be rating some more scheme versatile guys higher with the question marks going forward.
But Bradbury is good enough to start regardless of scheme lol. If you have an OC who likes to call a lot of zone, Bradbury is an extremely athletic and heady center who can play within the unit very well, if you run a lot of gap and power then you have a guy who can pull, reach, and angle block as well as any center I’ve seen.

Unless your OC demands your center to just hunker down and drive block a goddamn NT straight down the field every snap, then Bradbury is gonna be a very good starter in this league, and if that’s your OCs philosophy anyway, then your problem isn’t the center lol

Simba

Staff Member
But Bradbury is good enough to start regardless of scheme lol. If you have an OC who likes to call a lot of zone, Bradbury is an extremely athletic and heady center who can play within the unit very well, if you run a lot of gap and power then you have a guy who can pull, reach, and angle block as well as any center I’ve seen.

Unless your OC demands your center to just hunker down and drive block a goddamn NT straight down the field every snap, then Bradbury is gonna be a very good starter in this league, and if that’s your OCs philosophy anyway, then your problem isn’t the center lol

I guess that's just a difference of opinion on the prospect though. Clearly, he's best for an outside zone team. I think he can function in more of a power scheme, but you aren't getting full value out of what he does best in that case.

Again, I would love Bradbury. I think he's a very good player. I'm just not sure teams are looking at him and thinking that you can plug him into any situation and get a great player.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I guess that's just a difference of opinion on the prospect though. Clearly, he's best for an outside zone team. I think he can function in more of a power scheme, but you aren't getting full value out of what he does best in that case.

Again, I would love Bradbury. I think he's a very good player. I'm just not sure teams are looking at him and thinking that you can plug him into any situation and get a great player.
Power schemes can vary widely which I think is being forgotten here, like I said if you’re asking him to drive block geno Atkins you’re gonna be sorely disappointed, but if your OC can tailor to his players then Bradbury will be good regardless.

Marty mornhinweg calling an offense with Bradbury at center would be wasting his talents, but most competent OCs should be able to take advantage of him

Simba

Staff Member
Power schemes can vary widely which I think is being forgotten here, like I said if you’re asking him to drive block geno Atkins you’re gonna be sorely disappointed, but if your OC can tailor to his players then Bradbury will be good regardless.

Marty mornhinweg calling an offense with Bradbury at center would be wasting his talents, but most competent OCs should be able to take advantage of him

With our history at offensive coordinator, I wouldn't put anything past this team under Harbaugh though.

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Thinking about it, I'd rather have Ford or Lindstrom than McCoy or Bradbury. Barring another rookie taking that spot, Bozeman is gonna fill in the spot that we don't take early. I think the gap between Bozeman and one of the top centers of this draft is a good bit smaller than the gap between Bozeman and Ford/Lindstrom at guard. Stanley, Ford/Lindstrom, Bozeman, Yanda, Brown Jr is overall a better line than Stanley, Bozeman, McCoy/Bradbury, Yanda, Brown Jr.

I just see Lindstrom and Ford as potential top ten guards in the league, especially for our scheme. McCoy and Bradbury are safe picks and likely solid starters. I just don't see them as potentially elite at their position.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Thinking about it, I'd rather have Ford or Lindstrom than McCoy or Bradbury. Barring another rookie taking that spot, Bozeman is gonna fill in the spot that we don't take early. I think the gap between Bozeman and one of the top centers of this draft is a good bit smaller than the gap between Bozeman and Ford/Lindstrom at guard. Stanley, Ford/Lindstrom, Bozeman, Yanda, Brown Jr is overall a better line than Stanley, Bozeman, McCoy/Bradbury, Yanda, Brown Jr.

I just see Lindstrom and Ford as potential top ten guards in the league, especially for our scheme. McCoy and Bradbury are safe picks and likely solid starters. I just don't see them as potentially elite at their position.
I see Bradbury as potentially elite, remember that he converted from TE and is still packing on weight so he can definitely get bigger and stronger, he’s not maxed out yet, and his sheer skill is undeniable, he is the most skilled lineman in this very good class and I don’t think it’s close. Lindstrom I think ends up an elite guard, and ford has a higher ceiling but comes from the classic big 12 spread where he doesn’t have to do THAT much so there is a real learning curve for him.

All that said, if we drafted any of those guys I’d be happy, I like Bradbury more just because we know we’re getting a day one starter at center which is the weakest link on the team

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer

I’m with you on this. We can find a C later in the draft and Lindstrom/Ford provide immediate upgrades.

Those two have higher ceilings. McCoy is a safe pick in our scheme, but I don’t see Garret as elite here. In other schemes, I see it.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I’m with you on this. We can find a C later in the draft and Lindstrom/Ford provide immediate upgrades.

Those two have higher ceilings. McCoy is a safe pick in our scheme, but I don’t see Garret as elite here. In other schemes, I see it.
Why is Garrett not elite here but in other schemes? I think our scheme is perfect for him, it highlights what he does best, pull and block at the next levels, not to mention we have an OC who is a goddamn genius at scheming OL to do what they do well. He would get more out of Bradbury than any OC in the league and I have full faith in that. With the offense we have, do you want your center drive blocking the DT or do you want the C chipping to give the G help and then downblocking the key backer and taking literally one of the only 2 defenders that can stop the play, out of the play... Bradbury does that shit, McCoy and Jenkins don’t. You remember yanda when he chipped the DT to the inside, then downblocked the 3tech with the RT, then got to the next level and pancaked the LB to spring forsett for a big run?(it’s a yanda play everyone raved about) that’s the kinda shit Bradbury can do. The more film I watched the more I realized it’s not about just being big and nasty, it just isn’t, romans scheme is so much more than that.

Also, you are severely exaggerating his lack of strength, it’s not nearly as bad as some make it out to be, the whole concern comes from skura being total weaksauce and the fact that Jenkins and McCoy are just stronger than Bradbury, it’s not that he’s a weak shit, or that his anchor is just inexcusably bad, it’s that other prospects are better than him in those regards.

Last edited: