• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 OL Thread

If there’s no player we feel is special enough to stay put and pick at 22, then who is gonna feel a player is special enough to give up picks to move up and select from the same pool of players?
Someone who evaluated a player that’s still on the board a lot higher than we did. I mean if what you say is true there would never be trade back ever, right?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think I’ve finally decided on the center I want most for us, but it comes with a caveat...

Garrett Bradbury in Greg romans offense is going to be simply lethal. He will be the only center in the nfl that is used as a weapon, Greg roman will dial him up to do all types of ill shit, I would seriously love to see how roman would get him out in space and springing runs, it would be a transcendent pairing.

However, it does come with a caveat, that being that he needs to be bookended with top shelf power guards, when yanda retires, we would need absolute beasts at guard, oddly enough we could also find those 2 in this draft(Nate Davis and Phil Haynes). The lack of raw push from Bradbury is concerning, the lack of anchor is concerning but I also think it’s overblown(Bradbury gets pushed back gradually and usually only goes so far, he either stifles the initial rush and goes back slowly after, or gets bulled initially and then nullifies it with positioning and creative use of leverage).

Also, Bradbury and nick Boyle is a tandem id like to see. I see the way roman uses Boyle and just wonder what he could do with someone who’s smack in the center of the play. Just all the moving parts on a super exotic, explosive, and full strength dickpunch of a run scheme is an exciting thought, and I wonder if a coach like roman with guys like Stanley, Bradbury, yanda, Boyle, lamar, and Ingram could be schemed against, there’s too many moving parts and too many possibilities

cobrajet

Hall of Famer
I think I’ve finally decided on the center I want most for us, but it comes with a caveat...

Garrett Bradbury in Greg romans offense is going to be simply lethal. He will be the only center in the nfl that is used as a weapon, Greg roman will dial him up to do all types of ill shit, I would seriously love to see how roman would get him out in space and springing runs, it would be a transcendent pairing.

However, it does come with a caveat, that being that he needs to be bookended with top shelf power guards, when yanda retires, we would need absolute beasts at guard, oddly enough we could also find those 2 in this draft(Nate Davis and Phil Haynes). The lack of raw push from Bradbury is concerning, the lack of anchor is concerning but I also think it’s overblown(Bradbury gets pushed back gradually and usually only goes so far, he either stifles the initial rush and goes back slowly after, or gets bulled initially and then nullifies it with positioning and creative use of leverage).

Also, Bradbury and nick Boyle is a tandem id like to see. I see the way roman uses Boyle and just wonder what he could do with someone who’s smack in the center of the play. Just all the moving parts on a super exotic, explosive, and full strength dickpunch of a run scheme is an exciting thought, and I wonder if a coach like roman with guys like Stanley, Bradbury, yanda, Boyle, lamar, and Ingram could be schemed against, there’s too many moving parts and too many possibilities
I am still hoping Cody Ford is there at #22and we take him.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
We say this every year but perhaps its time; Yanda to center?
there are so many guard fits in this draft. You land Benzschawel at RG. He is a day one starter and there are lots of LG options later in the draft as well.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor

Maybe the guard that played next to him at NC state. Whoever that was.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Man, I like the look of McGovern at center. @Lost_In_Translation . I need to watch the rest of the games with him at center but, this is good stuff.

Yup. I think he's a good one.
He's got his bad moments too, but he's a ten year player at the NFL level in my eyes if he's put in the right situation. He's a day one LG here. Unlike Hurst or Lewis he can actually downblock and anchor, making him an instant significant upgrade. He's got some weaknesses I worry about, but Roman masks the LG position pretty well. If he can fool most of the fanbase into thinking Hurst is a top ten "pulling guard" in the league, then he can make McGovern a good player. We don't need him to be a superstar.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yup. I think he's a good one.
He's got his bad moments too, but he's a ten year player at the NFL level in my eyes if he's put in the right situation. He's a day one LG here. Unlike Hurst or Lewis he can actually downblock and anchor, making him an instant significant upgrade. He's got some weaknesses I worry about, but Roman masks the LG position pretty well. If he can fool most of the fanbase into thinking Hurst is a top ten "pulling guard" in the league, then he can make McGovern a good player. We don't need him to be a superstar.
I'm pretty impressed in limited snaps last year by Bozeman as a pulling guard. He was very effective; particularly noticed his ability and his recognition at turning reaching/sealing on pulls. His eyes recognize someone going front door while on the move and he's clever enough/talented enough not to head on the guy but to instead get his outside shoulder and turn him....throws his body around but is very controlled from what I've seen. I hated him as an athlete coming out but I missed something. He has shown the ability to drive guys off the ball one on one as well.....albeit in limited looks.

I really don’t understand the love for Garrett Bradbury in our scheme. He excels in outside zone which we rarely run anymore. Sure if Kubiak was still our offensive coordinator he would be a great fit, but in Greg Romans scheme it’s just not a good fit. Teams like the Rams and the 49ers are the perfect fit for him.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I really don’t understand the love for Garrett Bradbury in our scheme. He excels in outside zone which we rarely run anymore. Sure if Kubiak was still our offensive coordinator he would be a great fit, but in Greg Romans scheme it’s just not a good fit. Teams like the Rams and the 49ers are the perfect fit for him.
This is objectively false. Romans scheme calls for athletic OL more than any stretch zone scheme, a C who is quicker on his feet than half the LBs he’s gonna be blocking is an asset for Greg roman, the amount of pulls and designed second level and reach blocks is just absurd in romans scheme, and that’s what makes Bradbury attractive. Not to mention he is possibly the most technically sound and heady center I’ve ever seen at the college level.

With Bradbury it would be key that he has powerful guards on each side, but we should be doing that anyway. I’ll say that Bradbury bookended by yanda and another power guard(let’s say Nate davis) would be better than McCoy or Jenkins in that scenario, because 3 powerhouses are great, but when you already have power it is nice to add that extra element of incredibly effective moving blocks.

If this was joe Flacco’s ravens, I’d agree, but on lamar and romans ravens, I think Bradbury is a weapon

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor

I don't like the idea of constantly having to account for an obvious deficiency at all. It's something you would constantly have to work around. Supposing an injury occurs to Yanda or on the other side. Then you are left with Skura/Bradbury (Skura hypothetically) and a very soft middle.

I will say this; We went an entire year with Skura.1) Bradbury's anchor isn't worse than Skuras. 2) Bradbury is 20x the center 3) its possible Bradbury improves, if only slightly against power over time

Simba

Staff Member
OL is an interesting balance this year. I know there's this heavy desire to upgrade Lewis and/or Skura at LG and C, respectively. I don't think anyone is wrong in that opinion, as that's what I prefer to do. The one thing worth considering though is that Skura in particular actually had a pretty decent year. Of course, a lot of that had to do with the scheme hiding his deficiencies, which became obvious in that last game of the year. I just think it presents the obvious argument that if you get Bradbury and have to change offenses in 2 years because Lamar doesn't work out, is it another case of a player with limitations being hidden in the scheme? I like the player for sure, but its just an interesting conundrum to potentially be in if you go that route. How much do you ignore the limitations?

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we go OL early and Ford is gone, then I think it has to be McCoy that we get. Bradbury, while better than Skura, would leave us with too soft of a middle of the line. I think I'd rather just start Bozeman at center and go for a guard rather than draft Bradbury. McCoy has much more of a push when running the ball and is possibly the better pass blocker too.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I don't like the idea of constantly having to account for an obvious deficiency at all. It's something you would constantly have to work around. Supposing an injury occurs to Yanda or on the other side. Then you are left with Skura/Bradbury (Skura hypothetically) and a very soft middle.

I will say this; We went an entire year with Skura.1) Bradbury's anchor isn't worse than Skuras. 2) Bradbury is 20x the center 3) its possible Bradbury improves, if only slightly against power over time
OL is an interesting balance this year. I know there's this heavy desire to upgrade Lewis and/or Skura at LG and C, respectively. I don't think anyone is wrong in that opinion, as that's what I prefer to do. The one thing worth considering though is that Skura in particular actually had a pretty decent year. Of course, a lot of that had to do with the scheme hiding his deficiencies, which became obvious in that last game of the year. I just think it presents the obvious argument that if you get Bradbury and have to change offenses in 2 years because Lamar doesn't work out, is it another case of a player with limitations being hidden in the scheme? I like the player for sure, but its just an interesting conundrum to potentially be in if you go that route. How much do you ignore the limitations?
To respond to both, I think the “concerns” about Bradbury’s power/anchor are overblown, I think everyone is so scarred from skuras lack of anchor that any center who’s anchor doesn’t leap off the tape is immediately written off.

Simba

Staff Member
To respond to both, I think the “concerns” about Bradbury’s power/anchor are overblown, I think everyone is so scarred from skuras lack of anchor that any center who’s anchor doesn’t leap off the tape is immediately written off.

For what it's worth, I agree. Bradbury is significantly better than Skura. My question comes more in the line of how you think something like this through as an organization. Publicly, they're obviously in full support of Lamar, but we know deep down, they're certainly considering the possibility that it doesn't work out. If it doesn't work out and say the next QB you draft is another Flacco that fits better in a power run scheme, where does that leave Bradbury? I'm sure they're thinking of these things long term and how they want to invest. It's more thinking out loud whether or not they might be rating some more scheme versatile guys higher with the question marks going forward.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
maybe