• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

2019 DB Thread

CaliCane26

Practice Squad
The more I watch, the more I think Weddle needs to be replaced sooner rather than later. I apologize if this was more obvious to others. I just haven't been able to watch as much as I used to, but one guy that I want to mention as a possible replacement for Weddle is Jaquan Johnson from Miami. A bit of a homer pick, but Johnson is smart enough and tough enough to be the guy back there. He's been a leader for Miami in the back end of the D, and his last 2 years there were phenomenal. He's undersized and probably won't physically test as well as his teammate, Sheldrick Redwine, but Johnson is almost never out of position, takes good angles to the ball, is a sure tackler, and is a natural leader. Good kid who doesn't get in trouble. Also plays bigger than his listed size, and in my opinion, the best safety Miami's had since Kenny Phillips.

Redwine, on the other hand, is the better athlete but not as natural. Was a corner in high school and got moved to safety his 2nd year at Miami if I remember correctly. Improved every year he was there and really played well the last 2 years, particularly this year. Good ball skills and a good tackler. Occasionally will take bad angles to the ball, but didn't see it much this year. Really improved a lot this year and came away really impressed with him.

I think both will get drafted in range of rounds 3-5, but I feel like Johnson has a chance to really be a difference maker.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
The more I watch, the more I think Weddle needs to be replaced sooner rather than later. I apologize if this was more obvious to others. I just haven't been able to watch as much as I used to, but one guy that I want to mention as a possible replacement for Weddle is Jaquan Johnson from Miami. A bit of a homer pick, but Johnson is smart enough and tough enough to be the guy back there. He's been a leader for Miami in the back end of the D, and his last 2 years there were phenomenal. He's undersized and probably won't physically test as well as his teammate, Sheldrick Redwine, but Johnson is almost never out of position, takes good angles to the ball, is a sure tackler, and is a natural leader. Good kid who doesn't get in trouble. Also plays bigger than his listed size, and in my opinion, the best safety Miami's had since Kenny Phillips.

Redwine, on the other hand, is the better athlete but not as natural. Was a corner in high school and got moved to safety his 2nd year at Miami if I remember correctly. Improved every year he was there and really played well the last 2 years, particularly this year. Good ball skills and a good tackler. Occasionally will take bad angles to the ball, but didn't see it much this year. Really improved a lot this year and came away really impressed with him.

I think both will get drafted in range of rounds 3-5, but I feel like Johnson has a chance to really be a difference maker.
Yup, Weddle is serious liability since last season.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m not sure Elliott or Clark are the answers to replacing Weddle so I definitely think we need to look at a safety either in Draft, FA or both

RaineV1

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m not sure Elliott or Clark are the answers to replacing Weddle so I definitely think we need to look at a safety either in Draft, FA or both
Yeah, Elliot or Clark would be more of a replacement for Jefferson. We need someone with more range to take Weddle's spot.

One midround guy that looks interesting is Chris Johnson from North Alabama. A guy capable of playing SS and FS. Great size, speed, and tackling ability. Seems to have good instincts as well. He's also a form track and field guy that has solid speed and very good acceleration.

Not the greatest video quality due to the small school he played for, but he shows the ability to jump route and that he always keeps his eyes on the ball. Seems like a good fit for our defense.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Yeah, Elliot or Clark would be more of a replacement for Jefferson. We need someone with more range to take Weddle's spot.

One midround guy that looks interesting is Chris Johnson from North Alabama. A guy capable of playing SS and FS. Great size, speed, and tackling ability. Seems to have good instincts as well. He's also a form track and field guy that has solid speed and very good acceleration.

Not the greatest video quality due to the small school he played for, but he shows the ability to jump route and that he always keeps his eyes on the ball. Seems like a good fit for our defense.

Looks interesting but I think we need to bring in one of the free agents. My preference is Clinton Dix

rossihunter2

Staff Member

maybe neither is a replacement - im not sure and both felt like Strong safeties to me in the draft study (albeit elliott has shown some centre-fielder type instincts in preseason)

importantly though both of them add speed and range to our defence if they come in at safety

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Nasir Adderley from Delaware has good potential. Pretty rangy guy, lines up low a lot and gets high in a hurry, big hitter but doesn’t come downhill in run support and plays more like the last line of defense, seems intelligent and just really technically sound.

Looks like a good mid round pick

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Nasir Adderley from Delaware has good potential. Pretty rangy guy, lines up low a lot and gets high in a hurry, big hitter but doesn’t come downhill in run support and plays more like the last line of defense, seems intelligent and just really technically sound.

We did our Delaware quota for 2 decades.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor
I’m loving UW this year in the draft man, Rapp, gaskin, Murphy..

I’d take Rapp and gaskin in the first, shit I hope we can land a second for joe and pull them off in 1-2, probably wouldn’t though

I think we can get gaskin in the 3rd. He doesnt look like a 1st rounder to me. Maybe bottom 2nd.

Davesta

Ravens Ring of Honor

I just checked him out. He got nice range and hands!
I would be happy if we get in in the 3rd, with our jensen comp pick. Thats where imma put him in my mock draft! Lol

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/23/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-nasir-adderley/

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think we can get gaskin in the 3rd. He doesnt look like a 1st rounder to me. Maybe bottom 2nd.
It’s possible and I’d rather take him there but I’m not sure he’ll be available, he’s grown on me quite a bit. He reminds me of a rookie ray rice before the weight gain.

I just checked him out. He got nice range and hands!
I would be happy if we get in in the 3rd, with our jensen comp pick. Thats where imma put him in my mock draft! Lol

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2018/12/23/2019-nfl-draft-player-profile-nasir-adderley/

I’ll take Thompson, Denis, Gardner-Johnson, and Rapp over him, but if he’s there and we got a comp third, I’d take him there.