• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Offseason: offense or defense?

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
obviously get a fucking C and G, but other than that, do you guys think we should O or D heavy?

Personally, I think FS has become top priority, maybe even more than any spot on offense. Weddle will be gone, and good safety play is a must, in an afc where you have to beat a pat mahomes to make the SB, you need great safeties. Weddle is done, Jefferson is above average at best and shaky in coverage. Deionte Thompson has risen up to my top priority prospect, sadly we don’t have a 2nd rounder to trade up if we need to.

After that, I don’t know if there’s an OL I want in the first, at which point Mack Wilson(with Mosley walking and getting us a comp) or an interior rush DT become my top priorities. We can no longer afford to have slow safeties like weddle arriving late and blowing plays, having a box safety trying to run with elite WRs, and depending on a 250+pound LB who’s often injured running with WRs and TEs. We have too much old school defense, and in key moments when we need speed, it fails us. When we need pass rush, we have to blitz for it because our interior DL sucks at pressure. We need to modernize our defense. This is why I think we need yet another defensive focused offseason.... sadly.

Who are some free agents we can target?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
obviously get a fucking C and G, but other than that, do you guys think we should O or D heavy?

Personally, I think FS has become top priority, maybe even more than any spot on offense. Weddle will be gone, and good safety play is a must, in an afc where you have to beat a pat mahomes to make the SB, you need great safeties. Weddle is done, Jefferson is above average at best and shaky in coverage. Deionte Thompson has risen up to my top priority prospect, sadly we don’t have a 2nd rounder to trade up if we need to.

After that, I don’t know if there’s an OL I want in the first, at which point Mack Wilson(with Mosley walking and getting us a comp) or an interior rush DT become my top priorities. We can no longer afford to have slow safeties like weddle arriving late and blowing plays, having a box safety trying to run with elite WRs, and depending on a 250+pound LB who’s often injured running with WRs and TEs. We have too much old school defense, and in key moments when we need speed, it fails us. When we need pass rush, we have to blitz for it because our interior DL sucks at pressure. We need to modernize our defense. This is why I think we need yet another defensive focused offseason.... sadly.

Who are some free agents we can target?
Haha Clinton Dix

rossihunter2

Staff Member
it's a mix for me - not a huge number of Needs (with a capital N) but we've got some holes we'll need to fill...

depends entirely on who's available but i think making a concerted effort to plug holes on offence should be our philosophical aim for the offseason

free safety and interior pass rush are important but interior OL and WR are way more important to me

this obviously includes both free agency and the draft but it would be helpful to have youth at all 4 of those positions

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
The FA safety class is loaded
Joyner
Clinton-Dix
Landon Collins
Honey Badger
Adrian Amos

We'll get one of them.. Amos will likely be inexpensive and it's a homecoming. That's a classic Ozzie bargain contract. So underappreciated.

Otherwise....Both. BUILD THE DAMN TRENCHES

ThatsMyJoeTerback

Ravens Ring of Honor
Joyner
Clinton-Dix
Landon Collins
Honey Badger
Adrian Amos

We'll get one of them.. Amos will likely be inexpensive and it's a homecoming. That's a classic Ozzie bargain contract. So underappreciated.

Hopefully Ozzie teaches Decosta the ways of an Ozzie bargain contract.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Joyner
Clinton-Dix
Landon Collins
Honey Badger
Adrian Amos

I like Amos a lot. Of those guys I think Amos and Joyner are the ideal ones for us position wise but I feel Joyner is gonna be a hefty price tag. If we could land Amos I’d still want Thompson as I think Amos might be slightly more of a strong safety and Thompson is an ideal free.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Use FA to acquire defense. With the cap room we could have we should be able to adequately replace Weddle. I'd acquire another defensive linemen. David Irving? Grady Jarrett? I'd pay top dollar for either. I'd also seek to have a reunion with Pernell McPhee. Shouldn't be too expensive in the slightest and could be an excellent depth piece. He's not what he used to be, but you could put him on the interior or the outside and he's a threat... If healthy.

Offense should be the focus in the draft then. LJ Scott is quite literally the perfect back to put with Lamar. Find a real C and a real G.
I like Amos a lot. Of those guys I think Amos and Joyner are the ideal ones for us position wise but I feel Joyner is gonna be a hefty price tag. If we could land Amos I’d still want Thompson as I think Amos might be slightly more of a strong safety and Thompson is an ideal free.
Amos has been a good FS this season. But he switches a ton. He's an underrated player. I could see us going for anyone. There's also Tre Boston who has been good in the past.

This is the perfect opportunity to trade away assets while they still have value. Joe should command trade value, as should Jimmy. Getting rid of Weddle will save money, and for the love of god June 1st Brandon Williams. Pierce is better, and we really should've picked Jernigan.

Ideally my offseason would be

Trade:
Flacco
Jimmy Smith(with his strong play he's going to command something. It's an absolutely abusrd contract. I'd rather have him, but for that price, no thanks)

Cut:
Weddle
Brandon Williams(June 1st)

Resign:
Terell Suggs(if we want to... Please retire a Raven)
John Brown(deep threat for Lamar. also can be used effectively over the middle)
RG3(good backup for Lamar)
CJ Mosley(I could see a regime change with us bringing in someone where we implement a 4-3.. Which CJ works better in anyways)
Ty Montgomery(Sorry. He's a good third down back. Could be useful moving forward)

Tender:
Micheal Pierce(extend him. Far more useful than Brandon Williams)
Matt Skura(I hate him but as a backup he's fine)
Gus Edwards(I see him as a solid piece in the puzzle)

Free Agency:
FS
DL
CB

Draft:
C
G
WR
RB

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Use FA to acquire defense. With the cap room we could have we should be able to adequately replace Weddle. I'd acquire another defensive linemen. David Irving? Grady Jarrett? I'd pay top dollar for either. I'd also seek to have a reunion with Pernell McPhee. Shouldn't be too expensive in the slightest and could be an excellent depth piece. He's not what he used to be, but you could put him on the interior or the outside and he's a threat... If healthy.

Offense should be the focus in the draft then. LJ Scott is quite literally the perfect back to put with Lamar. Find a real C and a real G.

Amos has been a good FS this season. But he switches a ton. He's an underrated player. I could see us going for anyone. There's also Tre Boston who has been good in the past.

This is the perfect opportunity to trade away assets while they still have value. Joe should command trade value, as should Jimmy. Getting rid of Weddle will save money, and for the love of god June 1st Brandon Williams. Pierce is better, and we really should've picked Jernigan.

Ideally my offseason would be

Trade:
Flacco
Jimmy Smith(with his strong play he's going to command something. It's an absolutely abusrd contract. I'd rather have him, but for that price, no thanks)

Cut:
Weddle
Brandon Williams(June 1st)

Resign:
Terell Suggs(if we want to... Please retire a Raven)
John Brown(deep threat for Lamar. also can be used effectively over the middle)
RG3(good backup for Lamar)
CJ Mosley(I could see a regime change with us bringing in someone where we implement a 4-3.. Which CJ works better in anyways)
Ty Montgomery(Sorry. He's a good third down back. Could be useful moving forward)

Tender:
Micheal Pierce(extend him. Far more useful than Brandon Williams)
Matt Skura(I hate him but as a backup he's fine)
Gus Edwards(I see him as a solid piece in the puzzle)

Free Agency:
FS
DL
CB

Draft:
C
G
WR
RB
So who fills those spots outside of RB in the draft?

Also, I’ve soured on LJ Scott, he’s got size but he just does nothing to actually do big time RB shit, power disappointing for his size, elusiveness basically nonexistent, not very explosive. Just meh.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
So who fills those spots outside of RB in the draft?

Also, I’ve soured on LJ Scott, he’s got size but he just does nothing to actually do big time RB shit, power disappointing for his size, elusiveness basically nonexistent, not very explosive. Just meh.
Assuming we can keep Roman, there's plenty of quality interior olinemen. I like Cody Ford at OG. I could see Ross Pierschbacher as a mid round option at C. Fits the scheme, smart football player. Good scheme fit. Not a huge fan of this WR class. Damien Harris would also be a good fit with Lamar.

I'd prefer to get a C than a LG. I think if Yanda stays, we can afford to see if Bozeman develops into a starter caliber player next season. We need a C more than anything on offense.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Joyner
Clinton-Dix
Landon Collins
Honey Badger
Adrian Amos

Collins had real nasty injury, they say tear is so bad, career might be in question.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Collins had real nasty injury, they say tear is so bad, career might be in question.
Oh good. So for next year we can sign him to a Daryl Smith style contract and once he is clear to play and overperforms we have a bargain on our hands...

It's a big if, but I could see us doing something like that. It's not like we are prone to doing shit like this

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
Oh good. So for next year we can sign him to a Daryl Smith style contract and once he is clear to play and overperforms we have a bargain on our hands...

It's a big if, but I could see us doing something like that. It's not like we are prone to doing shit like this
I definitely like him better than HaHa
We should also check with Earl Thomas to find out what he likes more - Cowboys or $$.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Assuming we can keep Roman, there's plenty of quality interior olinemen. I like Cody Ford at OG. I could see Ross Pierschbacher as a mid round option at C. Fits the scheme, smart football player. Good scheme fit. Not a huge fan of this WR class. Damien Harris would also be a good fit with Lamar.

I'd prefer to get a C than a LG. I think if Yanda stays, we can afford to see if Bozeman develops into a starter caliber player next season. We need a C more than anything on offense.
I don’t like this wr class either, I too love Damien Harris, I also like snell and Alex Barnes, and as a late round fun flyer, qadree ollison and Jacques Patrick are possible fb to rb converts with serious run power.

I don’t like Cody ford, not enough evidence of him run blocking, it’s all conjecture and idk if he’s a real guard convert.

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I don’t like this wr class either, I too love Damien Harris, I also like snell and Alex Barnes, and as a late round fun flyer, qadree ollison and Jacques Patrick are possible fb to rb converts with serious run power.

I don’t like Cody ford, not enough evidence of him run blocking, it’s all conjecture and idk if he’s a real guard convert.
Josh Jacobs is better than Harris

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Haha Clinton Dix

Joyner
Clinton-Dix
Landon Collins
Honey Badger
Adrian Amos

I wanted us to trade for Clinton-Dix when it was said he was available. I’m so pissed we didn’t especially now.