• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Offseason: offense or defense?

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.. keep jimmy unless you HAVE to cut him for a certain move to be made.
It's lowkey why I want Amos. He's likely not going to be nearly as expensive as other options out there and it could let us keep the secondary intact.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
It's lowkey why I want Amos. He's likely not going to be nearly as expensive as other options out there and it could let us keep the secondary intact.
I think we’ll be able to keep jimmy and make the moves we want tbh. Unless we wanna do something real sexy like go outbid the Texans for clowney if he hits the market, but we just won’t do that.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
all of this is true and that’s why I’m torn on the 2 but very slightly lean towards safety.

And for me it comes down to value, who’s available and who’s just the best player. In round 1 deionte Thompson is probably better than any OL on the board.

But as lost said, there are great safeties on the market and if we can bring one in and then trade back and stockpile some picks and then load up on OL I’m even happier. Because I think we have a lot we need to add even beyond safety and OL and we’re gonna need picks after giving up our 2

i mean the BPA is a given - but all things being equal im taking the OL over the Safety

rossihunter2

Staff Member
With cutting or trading Joe wont we have a decent amount of cap to work with this offseason??

i think once we've cut/traded joe and tendered our RFAs - rule of 51 would have us around 35m cap space i think - but that's before you take into account guys like weddle who might get cut - it also doesnt take into account any free agents we re-sign before free agency starts

flynismo

Practice Squad
Our receivers not named Brown or Snead all suck a fat one, Hurst is looking like a bust, our OL is eternally injury plagued - and Yanda is not getting any younger. Our starting RB seems to be a different guy each week, regardless of what the depth chart says.
On the other side, we have the best defense in football.

The answer seems pretty clear, no?

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
Offense.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Our receivers not named Brown or Snead all suck a fat one, Hurst is looking like a bust, our OL is eternally injury plagued - and Yanda is not getting any younger. Our starting RB seems to be a different guy each week, regardless of what the depth chart says.

You aren't a bust after one year. Hurst still has a very high ceiling and his floor is pretty high as well. Crabtree since the Browns game has caught almost everything thrown to him. I like all three of our receivers and am hoping we extend Brown in the offseason.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
Hayden's injury messed up his progress and since Lamar has come back we clearly have been leaning more on the run game, and even then when he is passing it's usually to Snead, who always finds a way to be open on third down somehow. "But Hurst is 25". Took Pitta a year and a half to get going, and Hurst is out there making key blocks at least. He's seeing the field. We aren't using the TE much period outside of an occasional play to Andrews because Lamar is limited right now. Which is fine. Not to mention, even when we were using the TEs more reguarly, we aren't using Hurst correctly.

I'm not worried about Hayden. Or Crabtree. Crab is a good guy to have for Lamar to grow with, but a longer-term solution would be far more ideal.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Will Clowney be the highest paid defensive player of all time? If not, I'd be all in for him and then using the draft for offense to build around Lamar.

Reactions: cdp

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer

I'm not worried about Hurst. We need a long term starting RB, and a real interior oline. Looks like Brown and Stanley have the tackle positions on lock. BUILD THE DAMN LINE. Yanda is going to retire any day now. We have no C, and our LG situation is the epitome of mediocrity.

We did a poor job for Flacco post SB and at times neglected the offense. No more. If I were Steve I'd keep Eric on a short leash. Build the team for Lamar.

cdp

Ravens Ring of Honor
If we draft a WR, pls just draft a WR who can catch for once and runs decent routes.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not worried about Hurst. We need a long term starting RB, and a real interior oline. Looks like Brown and Stanley have the tackle positions on lock. BUILD THE DAMN LINE. Yanda is going to retire any day now. We have no C, and our LG situation is the epitome of mediocrity.

We did a poor job for Flacco post SB and at times neglected the offense. No more. If I were Steve I'd keep Eric on a short leash. Build the team for Lamar.
You have to put trust in your guys. Starting off on a short leash is the wrong way to do it.

I'm glad the fans don't run this franchise

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
You have to put trust in your guys. Starting off on a short leash is the wrong way to do it.

I'm glad the fans don't run this franchise
After all of the shit Ozzie, Eric's mentor has done over the past couple of seasons, if he shows any semblance of doing that after 2 years he should go. We need to stop settling for mediocrity like we have been doing in the trenches, and not be afraid to take certain risks.

Unlike a new GM hire, we know how Eric thinks, and if he proves to be superior to what we've had the past couple of seasons, fine. But if we proves that we are going to build the team in the same way we've been doing since 2012, he needs to go.

flynismo

Practice Squad
You aren't a bust after one year. Hurst still has a very high ceiling and his floor is pretty high as well. Crabtree since the Browns game has caught almost everything thrown to him. I like all three of our receivers and am hoping we extend Brown in the offseason.

I didn't say he IS a bust, I said he is heading down that path. I'm not sure what you have seen from him that has convinced you that his ceiling is high, or that he has a high floor. We're already seeing what his floor is - 7 catches for 82 yards in the nine games he has played in. Andrews is looking much better; more explosive, and more reliable so far.

Crabtree....my 12 year old son put it perfectly: Craptree. We let Torrey walk a few years ago for the kind of money we gave him. Except Torrey was far more productive here. This has just turned out to be another horrible contract for us. I would much rather we cut ties with Crabtree and give his contract to Brown.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
After all of the shit Ozzie, Eric's mentor has done over the past couple of seasons, if he shows any semblance of doing that after 2 years he should go. We need to stop settling for mediocrity like we have been doing in the trenches, and not be afraid to take certain risks.

Unlike a new GM hire, we know how Eric thinks, and if he proves to be superior to what we've had the past couple of seasons, fine. But if we proves that we are going to build the team in the same way we've been doing since 2012, he needs to go.
our drafts since 2016 have been pretty good overall. I don't have to list who we have drafted as you have already called all drafts to be pretty darn good yourself. Yes, we all would have liked more interior help, but it's not like we actually had the cash to do so in free agency either. This season could be different.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I didn't say he IS a bust, I said he is heading down that path. I'm not sure what you have seen from him that has convinced you that his ceiling is high, or that he has a high floor. We're already seeing what his floor is - 7 catches for 82 yards in the nine games he has played in. Andrews is looking much better; more explosive, and more reliable so far.

Crabtree....my 12 year old son put it perfectly: Craptree. We let Torrey walk a few years ago for the kind of money we gave him. Except Torrey was far more productive here. This has just turned out to be another horrible contract for us. I would much rather we cut ties with Crabtree and give his contract to Brown.
TE, outside of QB, is the most difficult position to learn and quite often takes time. Andrews learning quickly is VERY uncommon. Even OJ Howard didn't start to come on until this season. I'd suspect he starts doing well next season. I'm not counting this season due to his injury and using Maxx and Boyle for run blovking as Lamar is learning the offense.

Next season if he is the same as this season we can start to worry, but that is ridiculous to call him a bust at this point AND you did say he is looking like a bust, go check your post.

He isn't heading down that path, he is just learning at the same speed as most TE's who have been successful in this league. As @Lost_In_Translation mentioned, it took Pitta 1 1/2 years to learn the position.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
our drafts since 2016 have been pretty good overall. I don't have to list who we have drafted as you have already called all drafts to be pretty darn good yourself. Yes, we all would have liked more interior help, but it's not like we actually had the cash to do so in free agency either. This season could be different.
We... have...not...addressed....offense adaquately.

And we are not guaranteed for the postseason either. In fact, we could lose all three games. None of these teams are pushovers and this TB game is a trap game. We need to stop settling for mediocrity, especially in the trenches. The drafts have been good, and we've been drafting good players, but our needs have not changed since 2014. We've needed a RB since then, haven't found it. We've needed to bolster the WR corps for awhile, NO LONG TERM SOLUTIONS OTHER THAN SNEAD. The C position has been one of need since 2012. We've done next to nothing but find stop gaps. It's passable with a veteran, but with a rookie we cannot do this anymore. It's time for a change. Thank god Ozzie is retiring.

Eric is going to be kept on a short leash, and he SHOULD BE. For all the shit this FO has done since 2012. I am more than willing to give him a chance, but in reality NOTHING HAS CHANGED SINCE 2015. If nothing continues to change, we need new blood in the FO. Straight up. I give him two years max because having served under Ozzie I expect nothing to change.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
We... have...not...addressed....offense adaquately.

And we are not guaranteed for the postseason either. In fact, we could lose all three games. None of these teams are pushovers and this TB game is a trap game. We need to stop settling for mediocrity, especially in the trenches. The drafts have been good, and we've been drafting good players, but our needs have not changed since 2014. We've needed a RB since then, haven't found it. We've needed to bolster the WR corps for awhile, NO LONG TERM SOLUTIONS OTHER THAN SNEAD. The C position has been one of need since 2012. We've done next to nothing but find stop gaps. It's passable with a veteran, but with a rookie we cannot do this anymore. It's time for a change. Thank god Ozzie is retiring.

Eric is going to be kept on a short leash, and he SHOULD BE. For all the shit this FO has done since 2012. I am more than willing to give him a chance, but in reality NOTHING HAS CHANGED SINCE 2015. If nothing continues to change, we need new blood in the FO. Straight up. I give him two years max because having served under Ozzie I expect nothing to change.

I never said we were making the playoffs and yes we could lose all three games, just like we could win all three games. It's why you play the games. There is no team in the NFL that is a pushover, that is why it is the NFL. These players made it to the league for good reason. You can't have elite players at every position and sometimes you are going to have below average players at a position.

Our interior could get better, without a doubt, but it's not as bad as you say it is either and I'm not saying it's good. In regards to RB, I'm sure we will draft one as we normally draft one every year and attempted to do so last year but just missed out. Ozzie put together some magic and built up the WR corp without much money to spend. I believe you wanted Dez Bryant. Took him a while to find a team. I wanted Snead over Bryant because it was a much better fit. Glad Dez turned us down if those reports were infact true. The WR corp still needs to be improved, because you are right, there are no long term solutions other than Snead, but last year was a start. I still believe Lasley has some potential but he was raw and we will know more next season.

I would like the interior to be improved, but also don't believe Skura is as bad as you make it out to be. I do believe atleast one of those positions is improved next season.