• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Offseason: offense or defense?

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I never said we were making the playoffs and yes we could lose all three games, just like we could win all three games. It's why you play the games. There is no team in the NFL that is a pushover, that is why it is the NFL. These players made it to the league for good reason. You can't have elite players at every position and sometimes you are going to have below average players at a position.

Our interior could get better, without a doubt, but it's not as bad as you say it is either and I'm not saying it's good. In regards to RB, I'm sure we will draft one as we normally draft one every year and attempted to do so last year but just missed out. Ozzie put together some magic and built up the WR corp without much money to spend. I believe you wanted Dez Bryant. Took him a while to find a team. I wanted Snead over Bryant because it was a much better fit. Glad Dez turned us down if those reports were infact true. The WR corp still needs to be improved, because you are right, there are no long term solutions other than Snead, but last year was a start. I still believe Lasley has some potential but he was raw and we will know more next season.

I would like the interior to be improved, but also don't believe Skura is as bad as you make it out to be. I do believe atleast one of those positions is improved next season.
It took Dez Bryant forever to find a good team because of HIM. Nothing more. He had offers on the table and waited for the right one. Hell, we offered him a nice contract AFTER SNEAD. That's not a relevant point to anyone's argument.

You are going to have below average players at certain positions but at the C position is just flat out unacceptable. You need someone who is average at worst. One bad C ruins an oline for everyone. And while our pass protection is fine, Skura being the C fucked the run game. Look at the run game with Flacco. We could not run the ball up the middle until we started rotating Bozeman in? Why? Because of fucking Skura and Lewis. We should have never been in this position to begin with.

Skura is bad. He should be nowhere near a starting lineup. That's just how it is.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
It took Dez Bryant forever to find a good team because of HIM. Nothing more. He had offers on the table and waited for the right one. Hell, we offered him a nice contract AFTER SNEAD. That's not a relevant point to anyone's argument.

You are going to have below average players at certain positions but at the C position is just flat out unacceptable. You need someone who is average at worst. One bad C ruins an oline for everyone. And while our pass protection is fine, Skura being the C fucked the run game. Look at the run game with Flacco. We could not run the ball up the middle until we started rotating Bozeman in? Why? Because of fucking Skura and Lewis. We should have never been in this position to begin with.

Skura is bad. He should be nowhere near a starting lineup. That's just how it is.
I know it’s mostlu due to Lamar, but we have over 900 yards rushing over the last 4 weeks with Skura. He is an average player, not below average. There are a lot worse players in this league that play center, one of which is Ryan Jensen, who you would have been fine with.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
We... have...not...addressed....offense adaquately.

And we are not guaranteed for the postseason either. In fact, we could lose all three games. None of these teams are pushovers and this TB game is a trap game. We need to stop settling for mediocrity, especially in the trenches. The drafts have been good, and we've been drafting good players, but our needs have not changed since 2014. We've needed a RB since then, haven't found it. We've needed to bolster the WR corps for awhile, NO LONG TERM SOLUTIONS OTHER THAN SNEAD. The C position has been one of need since 2012. We've done next to nothing but find stop gaps. It's passable with a veteran, but with a rookie we cannot do this anymore. It's time for a change. Thank god Ozzie is retiring.

Eric is going to be kept on a short leash, and he SHOULD BE. For all the shit this FO has done since 2012. I am more than willing to give him a chance, but in reality NOTHING HAS CHANGED SINCE 2015. If nothing continues to change, we need new blood in the FO. Straight up. I give him two years max because having served under Ozzie I expect nothing to change.
I wouldn't call Snead a long term solution either. He's a free agent after 2019.

Oldfaithful

Hall of Famer
I know it’s mostlu due to Lamar, but we have over 900 yards rushing over the last 4 weeks with Skura. He is an average player, not below average. There are a lot worse players in this league that play center, one of which is Ryan Jensen, who you would have been fine with.
Jensen last year(who I still maintain was overrated) >>>>>>> Skura this year and it's not even close. Stop pretending that Skura is average, he isn't. He isn't Gino Gradkowski levels of bad. But he's holding the oline back and held the run game back when Flacco was in. You want a C that is average? Mike Pouncey has reverted to an average player, and he has been an utter revalation for the Chargers. Skura has been a liability for us.

He wasn't worth what Tampa Bay paid him this year, but by god I would have rather had him than Skura, and that's for damn certain. Only olinemen that has even registered as good this year is Marpet in spite of Dotson also being a quality tackle. They need a coaching change.

Skura isn't even remotely close to average and there's a reason C is the top need. We have Skura, who cannot anchor to save his life , in and he gives up critical sacks and pressures. Keeping him is a recipe for failure. This is like everyone getting fooled by the oline last year. WHO HAVE WE PLAYED? NO ONE! Cinci, terrible run defense. Oakland, worst team in the league, along with the least talented defense in the entire league. Atlanta is injured to no end. Kansas City has a great pass rush but their run defense is lacking. Let's not pretend that he's a good player, or even average. He's not. Stop getting fooled by the fact that he looks good against poor competition. It's the same rationale we used to resign Hurst, and why I wanted Ozzie gone. Instead of paying other players who were clearly worth the money in KO and Wagner, we let them walk and have been settling for mediocrity ever since. Sure, we drafted Brown but that doesn't excuse that KO has been gone now for 3 years and we haven't even found an average replacement for him. We've been looking for a C since Matt Birk and have found nothing.

Skura needs to go. he'll make the team next year because he'd be a decent backup, but if we roll into next season with him, we are going to get fucking destroyed.

Just because the FO is better than the fans, it doesn't mean I have to support the FO when they are being utter morons, like they have been with the interior oline and the trenches in general. We are living in the fucking stone age and it got Flacco killed here. Let's not do the same with Lamar.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Lol, Skura is nowhere near as bad as Gino. It’s not even close. Zuttah Lost anchor a lot, but was a top 10 center through 2016 until he got injured. Jensen last year was a little better than Skura, but I’m going to throw this back at you. Look who we played last year.....No one. So if you don’t want to compare from one year to another then don’t. It doesn’t work one way and not the other. Skura is the better center this year and that is the truth.

Paradis is available this year and he is by far the best center that is available and he isn’t a fit in this scheme. I’m not sayimh you said to go after him, point is you do need a fit and I believe Skura would be better with a better left guard next to him as well. Anchoring is his week point, no question, but he does play with pretty good technique.

We will agree to disagree and I don’t think he’s as bad as many believe, especially you. Could we improve, yes we could and if there is a really good fit, then I’d hope that would go after the player.

Last edited:

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
he's not old and he's not the kind of receiver who's flashy - i could definitely see us re-signing him without a huge amount of competition after next year
We'd have to actually do it first before I feel comfortable calling him a long term solution, but I see where you guys are coming from.

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
He’s absolutely below average

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
For me it’s a tough call but I think it depends what we get in free agency. If we can land a safety like everyone says, then you don’t necessarily need two all pro safeties back there, although it would be very nice. Shoot you could have Jimmy play safety if we really really wanted in a couple years or if we feel like he’s sapped but he’s still playing great at CB so that’s dumb. That said, the middle of this defense is a major major major problem and it must be resolved. If that means Mack Wilson or Thompson or White then get them to solve that issue.

I would say it would be great to get offense but I see people say draft 2 OL early quite a bit. I’m sorry but I think that’s a major mistake and would be a knee jerk reaction to solve our issues. Yeah you may have some elite talent there on the OL but OL don’t typically rotate here. So let’s say you draft a top OL in the first then you double down in the 3rd. Does that really solve our problems that much? I don’t think it does. We’ll still have issues with pass rusher, coverage LB, safety, WR who get YAC, RB maybe. I’m all for drafting a C who can play G like a guy like Gaillard but I’m not sure how pressing it is to draft two rookie OL early because that’s a lot of new elements on the OL

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Lol, Skura is nowhere near as bad as Gino. It’s not even close. Zuttah Lost anchor a lot, but was a top 10 center through 2016 until he got injured. Jensen last year was a little better than Skura, but I’m going to throw this back at you. Look who we played last year.....No one. So if you don’t want to compare from one year to another then don’t. It doesn’t work one way and not the other. Skura is the better center this year and that is the truth.

Paradis is available this year and he is by far the best center that is available and he isn’t a fit in this scheme. I’m not sayimh you said to go after him, point is you do need a fit and I believe Skura would be better with a better left guard next to him as well. Anchoring is his week point, no question, but he does play with pretty good technique.

We will agree to disagree and I don’t think he’s as bad as many believe, especially you. Could we improve, yes we could and if there is a really good fit, then I’d hope that would go after the player.
You think Skura is worse than Gino Gradkowski?

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I said that backwards and fixed it. It’s lost that thinks Skura is Gino level bad.
Ahhhhh okay lol. I don’t know how but that really confused me for a second. Skura isn’t as bad as he’s made out to be. I actually think he could be a good LG or even an OK C if he had a better LG next to him but then again great players can sometimes mask OK ones sooooo

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Ahhhhh okay lol. I don’t know how but that really confused me for a second. Skura isn’t as bad as he’s made out to be. I actually think he could be a good LG or even an OK C if he had a better LG next to him but then again great players can sometimes mask OK ones sooooo
He definitely would be better with a better left guard next to him. Thst being said, I do think his best position is left guard.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
i think he probably will be just through sheer inflation - if not he'll be close to what aaron donald and khalil mack are getting
Never mind then lol.