• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Good, The Bad and the Yucs

DeVito52

Ravens Ring of Honor
@Florida Raven Fan
there is no question we'd have very little running game without Lamar. Just watch the previous 9 games and don't tell me it was because of Collins and Allen, that's only part of it. Would the running game be better because Orlando Brown is playing and Dixon is back, probably, but not much.
How can you say this but then say Skura is serviceable? You do realize he’s the only reason we’d have “very little running game” right?

And I just don’t agree with you at all. Again...you make your opinions seem like they’re facts. There’s absolutely no reason our running game couldn’t at least be average with joe now. The combo of Dixon, Gus, Zeus jr, etc is a huge deal and the only reason we wouldn’t have a dominant run game is because of your boy Skura. He’s shit

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
How can you say this but then say Skura is serviceable? You do realize he’s the only reason we’d have “very little running game” right?

And I just don’t agree with you at all. Again...you make your opinions seem like they’re facts. There’s absolutely no reason our running game couldn’t at least be average with joe now. The combo of Dixon, Gus, Zeus jr, etc is a huge deal and the only reason we wouldn’t have a dominant run game is because of your boy Skura. He’s shit
He’s been serviceable since Lamar took over and that us all on lamar, thank god. He’s played ok, but if we had a standard drop back passer the bad run blocking would be much more noticeable, like the first 9 games with Flacco. I’ll say it again, I’d like to see him on this team in a backup role. That being said, I do believe he is better than the fan base gives him credit for.

Alex Lewis was a huge culprit for us not having a good run game. He and Hurst are awful run blockers and it makes it worse that they are next to each other. Edgar a film session on that earlier in the year as well.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
The head coach decides the starting lineup, I guarantee he chose skura over Bozeman, hurst over brown, Boyle over hurst, and he’s deciding to scratch Tim Williams all these weeks
Do you think Harbaugh does though? People say that Harbaugh is more of a manager and less of a X and O coach and that seems common opinion so if you believe that then that thought process would interfere with the notion that Harbaugh picks the guys. John seems more like someone who has input on who plays but probably defers to his coordinators in deciding who starts.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Do you think Harbaugh does though? People say that Harbaugh is more of a manager and less of a X and O coach and that seems common opinion so if you believe that then that thought process would interfere with the notion that Harbaugh picks the guys. John seems more like someone who has input on who plays but probably defers to his coordinators in deciding who starts.
But he’s also a control freak so when it comes to active roster and units that have lock starters and no rotation, I think he has full cotrol

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
But he’s also a control freak so when it comes to active roster and units that have lock starters and no rotation, I think he has full cotrol
I think it depends on the circumstances. Good example is Ellerbe going into the doghouse or Collins or other guys when they fumbled. Okay, that’s probably true. I don’t think John tells Don “Hey, let’s not play Tim Williams” nor do I think he tells Marty to play Hurst over Brown at RT. Joe over Lamar? Yeah, I’m sure he does decide that.

What I’m saying is I think it’s very situational.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I think it depends on the circumstances. Good example is Ellerbe going into the doghouse or Collins or other guys when they fumbled. Okay, that’s probably true. I don’t think John tells Don “Hey, let’s not play Tim Williams” nor do I think he tells Marty to play Hurst over Brown at RT. Joe over Lamar? Yeah, I’m sure he does decide that.

What I’m saying is I think it’s very situational.
I think he absolutely decided hurst over brown, Tim Williams is different, he just decides he’s inactive, if he’s activated then I think it becomes winks call

Tru11

Practice Squad
I think he absolutely decided hurst over brown, Tim Williams is different, he just decides he’s inactive, if he’s activated then I think it becomes winks call

Its winks call on who he needs to be active.
Those who are not a need, comes down to who offers something on special teams.

If wink really needed him , he would be active.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Its winks call on who he needs to be active.
Those who are not a need, comes down to who offers something on special teams.

If wink really needed him , he would be active.

the active stuff isnt on an individual coordinator because often its down to the HC's whole team gameplan - like do we want to carry an extra tight end vs do we want an extra DL/LB...

this year it's mostly been TE vs DL/FB (although mostly DL) but that's not something the coordinators can decide individually

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
From @Filmstudy wow

Humphrey had the coverage on 4 of the 8 drive-ending plays for the Ravens (10 total drives less 1 kneel and 1 TD).

Not only was this easily Humphrey’s greatest game, it deserves consideration among the greatest performances ever by a Ravens CB including Duane Starks’ 1999 performance against the Saints, Lardarius Webb’s 2011 Divisional performance against the Texans, and Webb’s 2013 game against the Bengals in Baltimore.

Here is the link the article

https://russellstreetreport.com/2018/12/17/filmstudy/humphrey-finishes-bucs/

Last edited:

Tru11

Practice Squad
the active stuff isnt on an individual coordinator because often its down to the HC's whole team gameplan - like do we want to carry an extra tight end vs do we want an extra DL/LB...

this year it's mostly been TE vs DL/FB (although mostly DL) but that's not something the coordinators can decide individually

It starts with the individual coordinator......

They make the game plan for their unit and then talk it through with HC and other coaches before deciding who should be active or not.

The HC makes the decision based on their input.

If wink says that timmy needs to be active because he is part of the game plan then he will be active.
Harbaugh is not going to overrule him because he feels like it.
They will find someone else to deactivate.....

rossihunter2

Staff Member
It starts with the individual coordinator......

They make the game plan for their unit and then talk it through with HC and other coaches before deciding who should be active or not.

The HC makes the decision based on their input.

If wink says that timmy needs to be active because he is part of the game plan then he will be active.
Harbaugh is not going to overrule him because he feels like it.
They will find someone else to deactivate.....

I’m talking back end of the roster type stuff - where we have to choose to play the extra special teamer vs the extra offensive guy vs the extra defensive guy etc.

Tru11

Practice Squad
I’m talking back end of the roster type stuff - where we have to choose to play the extra special teamer vs the extra offensive guy vs the extra defensive guy etc.

That is still decided based on the individual coordinator input.

Pretty much what i said.

Harbaugh does not decide who is going to be inactive all by himself without discussing it with his coaches.

Funny cause last year you guys blamed Pees for this but now that he is gone, its now all a sudden Harbaugh who gets the blame rather then wink....

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
That is still decided based on the individual coordinator input.

Pretty much what i said.

Harbaugh does not decide who is going to be inactive all by himself without discussing it with his coaches.

Funny cause last year you guys blamed Pees for this but now that he is gone, its now all a sudden Harbaugh who gets the blame rather then wink....
I agree that the coordinator decides who they want and I imagine it’s based off a coordinator meeting with Jerry since his guys are often playing both squads. Then the HC probably decided based on their input but I’m sure if Wink wanted Williams or whoever to play then they would play. It’s why I think Wink is deciding to play Bowser more than John deciding to “bench” Tim Williams. I think the position coaches likely even have input on this since they are coaching and interacting directly with the players. Obviously if John wants Tim to play then he will damn well play whether or not the DC wants him to play, but is that really how you get the most out of the player and team?

I highly doubt Harbaugh has a vendetta against guys and refuses to play them because it would leak if so. Players would be vocal about that kind of stuff like Pollard. I think this “Harbaugh doesn’t want guys to play” rhetoric is overblown. I think he just trusts his coordinators too much, perhaps, but that’s a double edge sword that has its benefits and its disadvantages.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
I agree that the coordinator decides who they want and I imagine it’s based off a coordinator meeting with Jerry since his guys are often playing both squads. Then the HC probably decided based on their input but I’m sure if Wink wanted Williams or whoever to play then they would play. It’s why I think Wink is deciding to play Bowser more than John deciding to “bench” Tim Williams. I think the position coaches likely even have input on this since they are coaching and interacting directly with the players. Obviously if John wants Tim to play then he will damn well play whether or not the DC wants him to play, but is that really how you get the most out of the player and team?

I highly doubt Harbaugh has a vendetta against guys and refuses to play them because it would leak if so. Players would be vocal about that kind of stuff like Pollard. I think this “Harbaugh doesn’t want guys to play” rhetoric is overblown. I think he just trusts his coordinators too much, perhaps, but that’s a double edge sword that has its benefits and its disadvantages.
Humphrey, henry, Zeus, gus, all examples of guys that weren’t getting chances and once they were given a chance it showed that the better player was being benched for no apparent reason. I don’t think it’s a personal vendetta Harbaugh has, just that he refuses to play rookies/young guys over “his guys” because of a personal preference for low talent veterans who he likes for work ethic or character reasons.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Humphrey, henry, Zeus, gus, all examples of guys that weren’t getting chances and once they were given a chance it showed that the better player was being benched for no apparent reason. I don’t think it’s a personal vendetta Harbaugh has, just that he refuses to play rookies/young guys over “his guys” because of a personal preference for low talent veterans who he likes for work ethic or character reasons.
He played Oher. Stanley started. KO started. Upshaw started. This is nonsense and I’m sorry to get snarky but I don’t see complete proof yet that this notion is true. Humphrey rotated into the game. I don’t think it’s completely Harbaugh but I’m sure he takes part but are you telling me you think the OC and position coaches have no say? Kenny Young looked good but he’s had his struggles and Patrick has come along too. I like Williams better than Bowser but that doesn’t mean Harbaugh is holding Tim back.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
He played Oher. Stanley started. KO started. Upshaw started. This is nonsense and I’m sorry to get snarky but I don’t see complete proof yet that this notion is true. Humphrey rotated into the game. I don’t think it’s completely Harbaugh but I’m sure he takes part but are you telling me you think the OC and position coaches have no say? Kenny Young looked good but he’s had his struggles and Patrick has come along too. I like Williams better than Bowser but that doesn’t mean Harbaugh is holding Tim back.
It’s not just a rookie thing either, it’s a “Harbaugh guy” thing, Oher and upshaw were probably Harbaugh guys considering oher was considered the highest effort guy when he was young and that wilted over time, and upshaw was a fundamentals guy, 2 things harbaugh loves. Stanley was a 6th overall pick, KO was kinda the only option since we weren’t gonna start mckinnie or jah Reid.

I don’t see how one day you can agree that harbaughs unwillingness to give young guys a chance over “his guys” has hurt the team, and the next you call it nonsense.

And I apologize if you never said or agreed to that but a huge portion of these boards have and I feel like I recall you being in that crowd

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
It’s not just a rookie thing either, it’s a “Harbaugh guy” thing, Oher and upshaw were probably Harbaugh guys considering oher was considered the highest effort guy when he was young and that wilted over time, and upshaw was a fundamentals guy, 2 things harbaugh loves. Stanley was a 6th overall pick, KO was kinda the only option since we weren’t gonna start mckinnie or jah Reid.

I don’t see how one day you can agree that harbaughs unwillingness to give young guys a chance over “his guys” has hurt the team, and the next you call it nonsense.

And I apologize if you never said or agreed to that but a huge portion of these boards have and I feel like I recall you being in that crowd
Nah man I have said that and agree it’s there to an extent but it’s being shoved down our throats like it’s constant and always happening. I don’t agree with that perspective at all. I think Harbaugh certainly has guys he likes and guys he doesn’t. I just think he lets the coordinators decide who does and doesn’t play more than people give him credit. For better or worse that’s my perspective on him that Harbaugh let’s his coordinators have a lot of freedom and I think that’s a problem with him.

To be clear, I agreed on the subject of Brown and others not starting and how it’s frustrating that we can see they deserve to start but they’re not. It’s not that I completely disagree but I do feel like we’re being way too harsh on Harbaugh and when I feel an extreme has been reached I try to defend the other side not quite represented if it’s worth defending. It’s easy to see one perspective and think that’s the gospel but I don’t come here to read the same opinions.

My opinion on Harbaugh is he defers too much and gives his coordinators perhaps too much control. This is represented throughout the years with Cam misusing Bolton and many other annoying things he did and doing things a certain way that do not work. I also criticised Harbaugh for trying to essentially get Trestman to be Gary Kubiak and for not playing young guys who should obviously start; however, there’s been plenty of times he’s started young guys so it’s not entirely fair to criticise him there.

Btw the post wasn’t exactly directed at you as much as people who keep saying this stuff on Harbaugh how he’s controlling the roster and stuff. He obviously does because he’s the HC but again I think the coordinators have a lot more say than given credit and should share blame as well. I don’t think Harbaugh is necessarily SOLEY to blame for say Brown Jr not starting RT and Hurst LG for example.

Last edited: