• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Free Agency 2019

rossihunter2

Staff Member
The problem with PFF is that they have zero way to account for assignment switching, and that’s across all positions. OL, and anyone in coverage, is not penalized for failed assignment pickups, but the ones closest to the negative play are. So if we have a cover 2 man concept, and Mosley gets burned 20 yards deep down the seam by a TE and you got one safety picking up a well covered fade and the other is freelancing and undercutting a slant, Mosley gets penalized and neither safety does.

I can’t remember where I read this but it makes a ton of sense and is why pff is good in some ways but extremely narrow sighted in others

this is why i much prefer Ken Mckusick's OL grading because there's an accounting for what he thinks the assignments were and penalties for pressures/hits/sacks are portioned out and attributed in part not all on one person if it's not just 1 player's fault

but i think that's a big reason why CJ gets graded so harshly because when teams beat us over the middle he's naturally going to be near the football even if it's not his assignment - im not sure how PFF apportions blame in zone coverage over the middle either - im not sure they're great at working out defensive coverages in the first place (which tbf was extra difficult with our pre-snap movement and disguises)

Simba

Staff Member
this is why i much prefer Ken Mckusick's OL grading because there's an accounting for what he thinks the assignments were and penalties for pressures/hits/sacks are portioned out and attributed in part not all on one person if it's not just 1 player's fault

but i think that's a big reason why CJ gets graded so harshly because when teams beat us over the middle he's naturally going to be near the football even if it's not his assignment - im not sure how PFF apportions blame in zone coverage over the middle either - im not sure they're great at working out defensive coverages in the first place (which tbf was extra difficult with our pre-snap movement and disguises)

PFF OL grading is terrible. You can have one holding penalty and your grade will plummet unless you outright win every single battle for the rest of the game,

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Z won’t get us a third, take that to the bank.

i mean he may well do - all the great pass rushers got tagged and its been ages since anyone as good as ZDS hit the market as a pass rusher - i think its fairly possible he gets a massive contract in the 12m/yr range which would put him firmly in the 3rd round window even with inflation

jensen's 10.5m/yr was the 3rd round cutoff this year and ricky wagner's 9.5m/yr last year was below the cutoff

it would suggest to me that if ZDS gets anything around 11m+/yr we likely get a 3rd round comp for him

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This free agency period is probably going to be crazy - so a reminder that if it refers to other teams free agents (and especially if the ravens or we were never interested in them can we keep those discussions/ reports in the other teams section in this thread:

https://purpleflock.com/threads/12/page-245

obviously any relevant information can still be posted here but lets try and keep it vaguely organised lol

Simba

Staff Member
Tyrann Mathieu reportedly offered $9.5M per year from the Texans, per Albert Breer. I was never a huge fan anyways, but I'm certainly out at that price.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Tyrann Mathieu reportedly offered $9.5M per year from the Texans, per Albert Breer. I was never a huge fan anyways, but I'm certainly out at that price.
I’m not a fan of his at all for us. I’m not sure I like any of them tbh. Gun to my head I’d probably go for Amos or Joyner. I’d like to say Clinton-Dix but I heard he did his own thing too much in coverage and did bad tackling. He’s not Ed Reed.

Simba

Staff Member
I’m not a fan of his at all for us. I’m not sure I like any of them tbh. Gun to my head I’d probably go for Amos or Joyner. I’d like to say Clinton-Dix but I heard he did his own thing too much in coverage and did bad tackling. He’s not Ed Reed.

#TeamGipson

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
#TeamGipson
I’d like to go for him but I feel like he should’ve done better with that defense. Then again, they had a lot of issues so I wouldn’t mind it. I just don’t want another Huff situation.

Sami84

Ravens Ring of Honor
its odd that after all this we're 19th in cap space. How the fuck do the browns have 10 times more cap space than us? who the fuck are we paying? Brandon Williams and Tony Jefferson and Jimmy smith?

who else?

Simba

Staff Member
I’d like to go for him but I feel like he should’ve done better with that defense. Then again, they had a lot of issues so I wouldn’t mind it. I just don’t want another Huff situation.

Yeah he was good in 2017, but that whole unit took a giant step back in 2018. I just think he's "safe" in a sense that he won't cost much. Allows you to still draft a guy if you want, but fills an immediate void if they aren't sold on Clark or Elliott.

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
its odd that after all this we're 19th in cap space. How the fuck do the browns have 10 times more cap space than us? who the fuck are we paying? Brandon Williams and Tony Jefferson and Jimmy smith?

who else?

The Browns have sucked for so long that they are continually carrying over large amounts of cap space because no one wants to play for them.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah he was good in 2017, but that whole unit took a giant step back in 2018. I just think he's "safe" in a sense that he won't cost much. Allows you to still draft a guy if you want, but fills an immediate void if they aren't sold on Clark or Elliott.
Definitely is an option and a bit safer than the others for that reason. Breaking it down, you could question that Amos benefited from Jackson & Mack, Joyner took a step back but that could be due to poor edge pass rush but still raises questions, Clinton-Dix has those ? I mentioned, and Earl Thomas is about to get paid but he also has some ? on him. I’d rather invest in Houston & Wake/Suggs to improve the pass rush with a bandaid and then try to address OL & WR than throw it all at a top FS. I wouldn’t mind Gipson at all

Simba

Staff Member
Definitely is an option and a bit safer than the others for that reason. Breaking it down, you could question that Amos benefited from Jackson & Mack, Joyner took a step back but that could be due to poor edge pass rush but still raises questions, Clinton-Dix has those ? I mentioned, and Earl Thomas is about to get paid but he also has some ? on him. I’d rather invest in Houston & Wake/Suggs to improve the pass rush with a bandaid and then try to address OL & WR than throw it all at a top FS. I wouldn’t mind Gipson at all

This is the biggest reason why I'm on team Gipson. I'm not a huge fan of any of the top S in this FA group, so I'm not interested in throwing big money at any of them. Gipson might be the most bang for your buck in this type of market.

Now, if some of those S prices don't hit what they're expecting, my tune could change a little bit.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

I have to wonder if cj is penalized when he’s blitzing the A gap and the offense converts a third down 3 yards behind his back in the soft spot he vacated. I wouldn’t be surprised at all and that happened a shit ton this year, the designed Mosley blitz was definitely the worst part of our defense, it always failed until the very last defensive snap of the season lol

Adreme

Ravens Ring of Honor
I have to wonder if cj is penalized when he’s blitzing the A gap and the offense converts a third down 3 yards behind his back in the soft spot he vacated. I wouldn’t be surprised at all and that happened a shit ton this year, the designed Mosley blitz was definitely the worst part of our defense, it always failed until the very last defensive snap of the season lol

It was a long con to win the division.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
This is the biggest reason why I'm on team Gipson. I'm not a huge fan of any of the top S in this FA group, so I'm not interested in throwing big money at any of them. Gipson might be the most bang for your buck in this type of market.

Now, if some of those S prices don't hit what they're expecting, my tune could change a little bit.

i thought the same last year about donte moncrief lol - then he got nearly 10m on a 1 year deal