• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Well-Mannered Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
A. Fuck you for that statement in particular, white people have absolutely been enslaved in the past
and
B. I wasn't aware we still had living american slaves
Sure, white people were (throughout history in other countries), but where was it even proportionately equal to American slavery? How many white males and women were enslaved in American from 1607 to 1865?

Oh, so we need living American Slaves for it to still have a profound effect on America? I didn't realize blacks still struggled to gain any rights and protections into the 1960s, even though they weren't still enslaved. Silly me for thinking that racism is a deep rooted issue that didn't just go away with the passage of the 13th Amendment.

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
Sure, white people were (throughout history in other countries), but where was it even proportionately equal to American slavery? How many white males and women were enslaved in American from 1607 to 1865?

Oh, so we need living American Slaves for it to still have a profound effect on America? I didn't realize blacks still struggled to gain any rights and protections into the 1960s, even though they weren't still enslaved. Silly me for thinking that racism is a deep rooted issue that didn't just go away with the passage of the 13th Amendment.
YES, YES IT WAS, THERE IS STILL SLAVERY GOING ON IN AFRICAN COUNTRIES TO THIS DAY!

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...auritania-failing-to-tackle-pervasive-slavery
Even the GUARDIAN admits this!

You want really barbaric slavery look there! Honestly if you had to choose where to be a slave America would be the best choice.

You dont get to just block an entire group from talking because their family lines weren't enslaved (even though they were)

Plus you were the one bringing up an example that you admit that you thought was a good example, where both parties are still alive!

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
YES, YES IT WAS, THERE IS STILL SLAVERY GOING ON IN AFRICAN COUNTRIES TO THIS DAY!

https://www.theguardian.com/global-...auritania-failing-to-tackle-pervasive-slavery
Even the GUARDIAN admits this!

You want really barbaric slavery look there! Honestly if you had to choose where to be a slave America would be the best choice.

You dont get to just block an entire group from talking because their family lines weren't enslaved (even though they were)

Plus you were the one bringing up an example that you admit that you thought was a good example, where both parties are still alive!
Again, can you tell me where whites were enslaved at an equal rate, in America, to that of African Americans? I realized my wording was poor, but I was trying to refer to whites being enslaved in America, not on an international level. That's my apology for not making that clearer with my first sentence.

But, I will ask this one question and then move on because I don't feel it's totally relevant to what I'm talking about. If every single white slave was released tomorrow and no one was ever forced into slavery again, would it be fair for an African to go up to them and say, "Get over it. You're free now. Just move on."

And oh my word, this is one of the worst arguments I will ever here and it is so ignorant and disgusting. No, I would not choose to be a slave in America. Being a slave anywhere in the world does not take away from the harsh conditions and the harsh ownership that ensues when one is a slave. Never, ever suggest that people would choose to be a slave anywhere. That is so disrespectful and such a disgusting thing to say to downplay how horrible slavery is. I'm almost about to quit discussing this issue at all because of just how ignorant and disgusting this statement was. Yes, I'd love to be dragged across the ocean in horrendous conditions and then forced into manual labor for long hours with no pay. Yes, please, let me be forced from my homeland and my family to be an American slave. That sounds ideal, if I ever had to pick a destination. Just... I can't.

No, I never said that white Americans shouldn't speak on an issue, but they shouldn't tell a group that experienced racism, slavery, and the Civil Rights Movement how to heal and how to feel. That is not your job as a white male. That is not my job as a white male. That is the job of the African American community.

Again, it is really ridiculous to tell people to get over it when people who experienced the harsh realities of the Civil Rights Movement are still alive. I never said people who were slaves in America are alive today. But tell me, would you go up to an African American who lived during the 1950s and 60s and tell them to get over the racism they experienced during the Civil Rights movement?

Last edited:

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
Again, can you tell me where whites were enslaved at an equal rate, in America, to that of African Americans? I realized my wording was poor, but I was trying to refer to whites being enslaved in America, not on an international level. That's my apology for not making that clearer with my first sentence.

But, I will ask this one question and then move on because I don't feel it's totally relevant to what I'm talking about. If every single white slave was released tomorrow and no one was ever forced into slavery again, would it be fair for an African to go up to them and say, "Get over it. You're free now. Just move on."

And oh my word, this is one of the worst arguments I will ever here and it is so ignorant and disgusting. No, I would not choose to be a slave in America. Being a slave anywhere in the world does not take away from the harsh conditions and the harsh ownership that ensues when one is a slave. Never, ever suggest that people would choose to be a slave anywhere. That is so disrespectful and such a disgusting thing to say to downplay how horrible slavery is. I'm almost about to quit discussing this issue at all because of just how ignorant and disgusting this statement was. Yes, I'd love to be dragged across the ocean in horrendous conditions and then forced into manual labor for long hours with no pay. Yes, please, let me be forced from my homeland and my family to be an American slave. That sounds ideal, if I ever had to pick a destination. Just... I can't.

No, I never said that white Americans shouldn't speak on an issue, but they shouldn't tell a group that experienced racism, slavery, and the Civil Rights Movement how to heal and how to feel. That is not your job as a white male. That is not my job as a white male. That is the job of the African American community.

Again, it is really ridiculous to tell people to get over it when people who experienced the harsh realities of the Civil Rights Movement are still alive. I never said people who were slaves in America are alive today. But tell me, would you go up to an African American who lived during the 1950s and 60s and tell them to get over the racism they experienced during the Civil Rights movement?
Obviously i'm not saying someone would choose to be a slave, but if you had to be a slave out of all countries that ever did it, which would be all of them with maybe a few exceptions, you would choose to be one in America.

And i'm not going to tell someone with an actual experience in those situations to get over it, because they have, or at least had a provable gripe, but yeah if someone starts complaining to me that they, a 10 year old, feels deeply affected by events that happened 7 decades before they were born, and they expect sympathy, yeah i'll tell them to get over it.

And before you say it, yes im certain that there are still racist individuals out there, both white and black, but if you want to tell me that it's still some widespread infestation, I would point you towards the nearest federal building, because they outlawed that a little while ago.

And that last part is why there is no discussion to be had with this, because as a white man i don't give a damn what my "job" is supposed to be and neither should you, and I refuse to be put in a box and told what to do because of the color of my skin or whats between my legs.

Now i don't have enough info at the moment to say whether the raw numbers of white v black in regards to slavery are equal, I know the Irish suffered quite badly and there are still issues in South Africa in regards to slavery/genocide now, but I think trying to put it on a "who has suffered more" scale is kind of disingenuous to put it lightly.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Obviously i'm not saying someone would choose to be a slave, but if you had to be a slave out of all countries that ever did it, which would be all of them with maybe a few exceptions, you would choose to be one in America.

And i'm not going to tell someone with an actual experience in those situations to get over it, because they have, or at least had a provable gripe, but yeah if someone starts complaining to me that they, a 10 year old, feels deeply affected by events that happened 7 decades before they were born, and they expect sympathy, yeah i'll tell them to get over it.

And before you say it, yes im certain that there are still racist individuals out there, both white and black, but if you want to tell me that it's still some widespread infestation, I would point you towards the nearest federal building, because they outlawed that a little while ago.

And that last part is why there is no discussion to be had with this, because as a white man i don't give a damn what my "job" is supposed to be and neither should you, and I refuse to be put in a box and told what to do because of the color of my skin or whats between my legs.

Now i don't have enough info at the moment to say whether the raw numbers of white v black in regards to slavery are equal, I know the Irish suffered quite badly and there are still issues in South Africa in regards to slavery/genocide now, but I think trying to put it on a "who has suffered more" scale is kind of disingenuous to put it lightly.
No, stop making that argument. You'd never want to be a slave anywhere, period. Even suggesting that someone should have to pick a country is disgusting and straight up ignorant.

I'm done having any form of discussion because this is just absolutely disgusting. Yeah, I'd choose to be a slave in America because slavery was just peachy in America.

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
No, stop making that argument. You'd never want to be a slave anywhere, period. Even suggesting that someone should have to pick a country is disgusting and straight up ignorant.

I'm done having any form of discussion because this is just absolutely disgusting. Yeah, I'd choose to be a slave in America because slavery was just peachy in America.
I don't know if you're just misunderstanding the argument or just trying to obfuscate the point but either way it would be best if you stopped trying to argue this yeah.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I don't know if you're just misunderstanding the argument or just trying to obfuscate the point but either way it would be best if you stopped trying to argue this yeah.

not quite sure what high ground you think you're standing on there?
in what realm is it ok to put qualifiers on which slavery is better? all slavery is bad and minimising people's history with slavery is also bad...

and its naive to think that cultural history doesnt resonate with future generations - do you really think young Jewish people should forget the history of Jewish oppression and the holocaust and get over it and not be affected by that history? what about the way we empathise still with WW1 and WW2 soldiers over wars that we never even got close to personally fighting in (or being alive in)? why shouldnt a young child of colour be deeply affected by the experiences of older people like them?

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
not quite sure what high ground you think you're standing on there?
in what realm is it ok to put qualifiers on which slavery is better? all slavery is bad and minimising people's history with slavery is also bad...

and its naive to think that cultural history doesnt resonate with future generations - do you really think young Jewish people should forget the history of Jewish oppression and the holocaust and get over it and not be affected by that history? what about the way we empathise still with WW1 and WW2 soldiers over wars that we never even got close to personally fighting in (or being alive in)? why shouldnt a young child of colour be deeply affected by the experiences of older people like them?
People are already adding qualifiers with raw numbers, I'm just adding context.

I'm saying history is history, and remembering and empathizing is understandable, but wearing it like a lead blanket is only going to hold you back, especially when no one else is

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
My bad on calling someone out. I shouldn't do that. But please, we need to keep it civil in here. It can be really frustrating to see other people not agree on beliefs this big. If you need a breather, step out for a second. We just want to all be friends here.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

First off I wanted to say I do appreciate that you kept it very civil and freely admitted you did an overreach on your Reagan claim. I also wanted to mention Goldwater was well before my time but I do remember him but you gotta understand it wasn't due to racism that him and Reagan were against the Civil Rights Act. It was due to the fact they thought it was a federal overreach. Do you ever not notice that I constantly hammer on the Constitution and especially the 10th amendment. The USA is supposed to be run by the people not by a bunch of federal govt rules. If you want to keep believing southern republicans are racist then really that's why we have so many problems now and btw about the cities it has been decades full of democrat rule with no progress and I strongly also believe democrats have completely abandoned the blue collar worker. Remember Obama said manufacturing jobs were dead. I can always get you the vid for that if you like..

Anyways I wanted to talk about this post since you seem to believe that a person like me sad "Get over it". Those were @Militant X 1 words . Not mine. I said we have to move on and if we don't racism will never die and I strongly believe that. Now lets get on to how slavery also started. Im sure you know way back in history in all areas of the world there were battles of some sort going on. Whites against whites. Native Americans against Native Americans. Mongols against Chinese. It was just the way it was. Now if you believe white men just sailed to Africa and just grabbed everybody up then you living in a fairy tale. I don't want to get further in depth about it but I'm hoping you get the point on who actually sold the slaves. Back then it was just a whole different climate and a rougher existence. Just the way it was.

Now lets go on to American slavery. Sure its never good to be a slave. Just the word aggravates me but if your under the belief that every slave lived a horrible misery filled life that is simply not true. A high majority were treated well and considered family and after the war stayed where they was at willingly. The bottomline line tho is this is a place where people were supposed to live freely and be treated as equals and that was not the case and that is a big bruise on American history and should be taught as such for remembrance

I do understand your point where we cant tell black people how to heal or feel but if slavery is continuously gonna be thrown in our faces where 99.9% of whites are not even decendants of slave owners I feel that is a high injustice. Its also very tiring to hear that only whites are racists which is simply not true.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
First off I wanted to say I do appreciate that you kept it very civil and freely admitted you did an overreach on your Reagan claim. I also wanted to mention Goldwater was well before my time but I do remember him but you gotta understand it wasn't due to racism that him and Reagan were against the Civil Rights Act. It was due to the fact they thought it was a federal overreach. Do you ever not notice that I constantly hammer on the Constitution and especially the 10th amendment. The USA is supposed to be run by the people not by a bunch of federal govt rules. If you want to keep believing southern republicans are racist then really that's why we have so many problems now and btw about the cities it has been decades full of democrat rule with no progress and I strongly also believe democrats have completely abandoned the blue collar worker. Remember Obama said manufacturing jobs were dead. I can always get you the vid for that if you like..

Anyways I wanted to talk about this post since you seem to believe that a person like me sad "Get over it". Those were @Militant X 1 words . Not mine. I said we have to move on and if we don't racism will never die and I strongly believe that. Now lets get on to how slavery also started. Im sure you know way back in history in all areas of the world there were battles of some sort going on. Whites against whites. Native Americans against Native Americans. Mongols against Chinese. It was just the way it was. Now if you believe white men just sailed to Africa and just grabbed everybody up then you living in a fairy tale. I don't want to get further in depth about it but I'm hoping you get the point on who actually sold the slaves. Back then it was just a whole different climate and a rougher existence. Just the way it was.

Now lets go on to American slavery. Sure its never good to be a slave. Just the word aggravates me but if your under the belief that every slave lived a horrible misery filled life that is simply not true. A high majority were treated well and considered family and after the war stayed where they was at willingly. The bottomline line tho is this is a place where people were supposed to live freely and be treated as equals and that was not the case and that is a big bruise on American history and should be taught as such for remembrance

I do understand your point where we cant tell black people how to heal or feel but if slavery is continuously gonna be thrown in our faces where 99.9% of whites are not even decendants of slave owners I feel that is a high injustice. Its also very tiring to hear that only whites are racists which is simply not true.
Goldwater was before my time, but in everything that I have learned (RIP APUSH), Goldwater was about as close as you could get to outright racist without actually coming out and saying, "I HATE BLACK PEOPLE." In the case of Reagan, yes, you are very much right; it was an issue of states handling this vs the federal government. But again, we're only 20ish years removed from the "end" of the Civil Rights Movement. Do we really think these states are actually capable of handling equality? In my opinion, no, they're not.

I'm not sure how true this is, and I could be totally wrong here, but in 2012 when I took APUSH, my teacher had said that deep southern states, like Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc. still had their voting monitored by the federal government so that these states couldn't discriminate against voters. So, that certainly adds a degree of doubt to my mind about the ability of these states to actually properly continue the Civil Rights Movement.

I wasn't trying to single anyone out in particular; that's just unfortunately something I see too commonly on mass media, especially with topics like Kaepernick being hot in the news. But my question would be, how does a country move on? What exactly does that mean to move on? Moving on can take many, many different views and shapes simply depending on who you are.

You are absolutely right that slavery was not isolated to simply the British/Colonies. Hell, if you read the Bible (and I don't know that you do or don't), the Israelites were enslaved by the Egyptians and if you believe the timeline of the Bible, that's a full 3000 years before America was even established for colonies by the British. The Romans made an entire empire off the back of slavery. I think one of the only groups I have heard of that were dominant and didn't enslave or take prisoners were the Huns or the Vikings, but could be wrong. Point being, slavery was super common, sadly.

I would agree that not all were treated poorly. I wish I could remember her name, but I recall one very famous slave who was taught to read and write and treated incredibly well. But I'd also argue that the majority were not treated well at all. I was reading articles earlier on someone who worked at a plantation and about all the common misconceptions he heard from people and one was about the treatment of house slaves vs field workers. People figured if they're in the house, it must be nicer and he said it wasn't the case. The majority of run away slave ads were for slaves that worked in the house.

Now, as far as staying, do we think that's because they wanted to or they really had no other choice? Most probably couldn't read or write, they're probably pretty bad with their speaking. The country still wasn't fully accepting of them in all places. They probably had little choice, sadly.

And I very much would agree that not all white people are racist. I don't consider myself racist. I don't consider my family racist. I grew up in Baltimore with two adopted Korean brothers who went to a school that was 98% black and they were absolutely the target of racism simply for being Asian.

And I also wouldn't say all southerners are racists or that all northerners are not racist. I just think that because of how America shaped itself with the black population for so long being in the south and the slave population being mostly in the south, that's unfortunately the area that had the highest density of racism.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor
See where you're getting this wrong is nobodys forgetting. Its ingrained in our history and should be taught so it will be remembered. I really don't know where you get off claiming that white people only care about the Jewish holocaust and oh lordy this should never be forgot about. Idk I'm just seeing people throwing around the word Nazi like its candy and then calling the detainment camps along the border "concentration camps". I mean talk about disrespect for the past. Blacks were an integral part of us gaining our freedom and when the Declaration was written where it claimed every man was equal it should have been so. But when you don't want to GET OVER IT (your words) and just keep the issue in the forefront you are keeping the racism alive. As for the white privilege comment that was said in sarcasm. I'm no better than my co-workers of whatever race but yet that word is thrown out there too. Just saying I've never been able to cash that in cuz there is no such thing.

You don't know where I get off stating that most white people (not all of course) seemingly want we blacks to just "Get over it" (concerning our recognition of the psychological, economical and social effects that American Slavery has had on our community) in comparison to their widespread embracement of the Jewish Holocaust that took place on foreign soil in Germany? Really? It has been my experience that white people are quicker to remember that, publicized that and to speak about the horrors of that event more than about our Black Holocaust. That's just real! C'mon now! Lol!

See, this is my issue. No one says that "The Holocaust of the Jews is being kept at the forefront to keep racism alive" (as you just mentioned about we blacks and our rememberance of the Peculiar Institution of Slavery that took place right here in America). It's the root cause of why our community is still experiencing a myriad of social injustices in various forms to this very day. And, all of that "who sold the blacks in to slavery" jargon you like to bring up? Goes without saying. We all know that Africans cut deals with the white man to sell their brothers into slavery. But the issue at hand is American Slavery and it's generational effects on the Black community right here in the good ole' U.S.A.

No offense intended by this whatsoever, but to me, no non-black person can tell me, a black man; how I should perceive the existential plight or the social injustices that my community has endured throughout Slavery, after the Emancipation Proclamation, during Jim Crow or as a result of The Black Codes [the passing of a variety of Laws against Black people] or during the Civil Rights Movement etc., or that it's been a long time ago and that we should just forge forward'; as to dismiss and not face the horrific reality of the 400 year marginalization and subjugation of an entire nationality of people.

The reality.....my reality and experience as a black man in this nation is not yours as a white man. Period! And, whatever you perceived to be a bad experience for you in this country as a white man....just add "black" to it! Now, regardless of the extreme opposition that I faced from non-blacks during my advancement; I have done very well for myself. I've obtained a Bachelors and Masters degree. I've also received an Honorary Doctorates degree and I'm in pursuit of a second Masters as I type this. I served in the United States Army for 6 years and I now own my own business and have made tremendous financial investments over the years. BUT.....none of those things mean that I am to forget about what my community has edured, and to a degree, is still suffering at the hands of our oppresors (through a broken and rigged judicial system). Although I have a few amenities that aid me and my family in living a very comfortable life; it would be extremely naive and disengenous of me to "assume" that those things make me better than or above those in my community who are less fortunate and who didn't have the opportunities (i.e. strong family system, education etc.) to advance such as I did.

My reality? With all of the above that I just mentioned, I know that the color of my skin STILL makes me public enemy number one to most (not all) whilte people in this nation. Now, when THAT gets fixed; then maybe our Black Holocaust won't have to stay at the forefront of we Black folk's minds. But until then.........

Last edited:

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
You don't know where I get off stating that most white people (not all of course) seemingly want we blacks to just "Get over it" (concerning our recognition of the psychological, economical and social effects that American Slavery has had on our community) in comparison to their widespread embracement of the Jewish Holocaust that took place on foreign soil in Germany? Really? It has been my experience that white people are quicker to remember that, publicized that and to speak about the horrors of that event more than about our Black Holocaust. That's just real! C'mon now! Lol!

See, this is my issue. No one says that "The Holocaust of the Jews is being kept at the forefront to keep racism alive" (as you just mentioned about we blacks and our rememberance of the Peculiar Institution of Slavery that took place right here in America). It's the root cause of why our community is still experiencing a myriad of social injustices in various forms to this very day. And, all of that "who sold the blacks in to slavery" jargon you like to bring up? Goes without saying. We all know that Africans cut deals with the white man to sell their brothers into slavery. But the issue at hand is American Slavery and it's generational effects on the Black community right here in the good ole' U.S.A.

No offense intended by this whatsoever, but to me, no non-black person can tell me, a black man; how I should perceive the existential plight or the social injustices that my community has endured throughout Slavery, after the Emancipation Proclamation, during Jim Crow or as a result of The Black Codes [the passing of a variety of Laws against Black people] or during the Civil Rights Movement etc., or that it's been a long time ago and that we should just forge forward'; as to dismiss and not face the horrific reality of the 400 year marginalization and subjugation of an entire nationality of people.

The reality.....my reality and experience as a black man in this nation is not yours as a white man. Period! And, whatever you perceived to be a bad experience for you in this country as a white man....just add "black" to it! Now, regardless of the extreme opposition that I faced from non-blacks during my advancement; I have done very well for myself. I've obtained a Bachelors and Masters degree. I've also received an Honorary Doctorates degree and I'm in pursuit of a second Masters as I type this. I served in the United States Army for 6 years and I now own my own business and have made tremendous financial investments over the years. BUT.....none of those things mean that I am to forget about what my community has edured, and to a degree, is still suffering at the hands of our oppresors (through a broken and rigged judicial system). Although I have a few eminities that aid me in living a very comfortable life; it would be extremely naive and disengenous of me to "assume" that those things make me better than or above those in my community who are less fortunate and who didn't have the opportunities (i.e. strong family system, education etc.) to advance such as I did.

My reality? With all of the above that I just mentioned, I know that the color of my skin STILL makes me public enemy number one to most (not all) whilte people in this nation. Now, when THAT gets fixed; then maybe our Black Holocaust won't have to stay at the forefront of we Black folk's minds. But until then.........

This is alarming that you believe this. I see so much interaction between blacks and whites on the job force where MOST don't give a shit about the color of your skin.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/3261...-washington-post-writer-who-has-dc-mcallister

What have democrats done for the black community?

JO_75

Hall of Famer
I wonder when the Democrats will stop their witch hunt on Brett Kavanaugh. Now the FBI is doing an investigation contacting a former classmate from Yale about him when he was in college. They waited until he was about to be nominated for the Supreme Court to pull all this. Makes you wonder if the (non biased) FBI had done an investigation like this with Hillary.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I wonder when the Democrats will stop their witch hunt on Brett Kavanaugh. Now the FBI is doing an investigation contacting a former classmate from Yale about him when he was in college. They waited until he was about to be nominated for the Supreme Court to pull all this. Makes you wonder if the (non biased) FBI had done an investigation like this with Hillary.
According to Blasley-Ford, she came forward when Kavanaugh was simply just a name in consideration, but that didn't stop anything.

And if it's truly just a witch hunt, let the investigation run its course. Why is Kavanaugh so furiously against an investigation and a polygraph test?

JO_75

Hall of Famer
According to Blasley-Ford, she came forward when Kavanaugh was simply just a name in consideration, but that didn't stop anything.

And if it's truly just a witch hunt, let the investigation run its course. Why is Kavanaugh so furiously against an investigation and a polygraph test?

That is the only thing that is skeptical to me, why is he against it if he has nothing to hide?

rossihunter2

Staff Member

literally nothing about this is like a witchhunt...
Christine Blasey-Ford is the most accountable, believable witnesses

and on the other hand not only did Kavanaugh react like a guilty man would and behave in a manner unbecoming of a judge as well as showing blatant partisanship (which is supposed to not exist on the supreme court)

here are both parts of the hearing

DoMwXEaX0AIdicS.jpg:large

on top of that it has already been shown that Kavanaugh lied while under oath in that hearing

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
That is the only thing that is skeptical to me, why is he against it if he has nothing to hide?
I could see it if this investigation were going to drag on and it was going to take months and the elections took place, but the FBI asked for just one week. He has no reason to oppose an investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.