• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Well-Mannered Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I'm fiscally conservative but I disagree with your comments about Trump stating it like it is 100%. To use your words, I agree that 90% of politicians are scum and also agree that both sides in the media are far too right or left leaning. However, some are worse than others and even though I'm moderately conservative, I despise Breitbart.

Why do you despise Breitbart? Is it their edginess and no hold back on opinions? The one thing I can say about them is there is no fake in them. They tell you where they stand. Its also why you really don't hear me condemn Vox or HuffPo. At least they not fake.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Who said I was ok with it?

Like I said before, how he speaks empowers some people that he doesnt actually speak for. I need to to address what I'm saying about Trump and the crowd. We can talk about what someone else if you'd like.

This is the 2nd time I tell you this.

See you was right when you said words matter but you backtracked and now say its only Trump's words. That crowd did that on its own.

Actually you're not right. Acts of terror make you a terrorist. Period. The media has made a thing to make sure certain groups are labeled terrorist while others mental health issues.

This terrorist was throwing flares at a massive sized propane tank trying to get it to explode which could have killed a lot of people.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
See you was right when you said words matter but you backtracked and now say its only Trump's words. That crowd did that on its own.

This terrorist was throwing flares at a massive sized propane tank trying to get it to explode which could have killed a lot of people.

I've never backtracked or changed my stance. Every time I bring up something Trump should not be doing you immediately point out what someone else said or did.

You don't actually acknowledge what Trump did. So it comes off as you defending it.

In what world is chanting "Send her back" acceptable? Are you kidding me?

Even hardcore guys on the right are in shock.

Do you even understand where this could go?

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Well, for sure Trump exaggerates and lies; just like every president before him. We have to fact check him just like we should be doing with our news sources. I'm not saying that I approve of the exaggerations and lies, I just mean that I've come to expect it from the president, regardless of who that happens to be.
I'm not particularly fond of Breitbart myself. It's the conservative version of Vox / Salon / Daily Kos / The View; that is to say, they appeal to the extremists, while making the rest of us want to gouge our eyes out.
To be fair, I do like Jake Tapper over at CNN. He can be fair at times; and he dislikes the extremists on both sides as much as we do.
No question all Presidents exaggerate to an extent, but imo Trump is doing it way more and he's outright lying. It's more than just an exaggeration, imo.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
No question all Presidents exaggerate to an extent, but imo Trump is doing it way more and he's outright lying. It's more than just an exaggeration, imo.

he takes things to far considering that he is the president of the United States. He is not some hot shot celebrity anymore.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
Why do you despise Breitbart? Is it their edginess and no hold back on opinions? The one thing I can say about them is there is no fake in them. They tell you where they stand. Its also why you really don't hear me condemn Vox or HuffPo. At least they not fake.
They may tell you what they are but they don't even try to have an honest dialogue with the other side. People and places like that are what is wrong with this country in my eyes. Going back to what @flynismo said, this thread is better than all of those places because at least we aren't censoring other opinions.

flynismo

Practice Squad
he takes things to far considering that he is the president of the United States. He is not some hot shot celebrity anymore.

Outright lying? They all have lied to us. Every last one of them. Does he do it more than others? I don't know. It's not like you can trust the fact checking sites. The media constantly twists his words and portrays him as either a liar or racist, and his critics eat the lies up that the media feeds them about him (Russia, obstruction, Charlotte, etc etc etc). I suspect that he exaggerates more, and on a larger scale, than most of his predecessors. I have no clue if he outright lies more. Wouldn't surprise me if he did. Wouldn't surprise me if he didn't, either. Remember, we had a president IMPEACHED for lying, good ol' Clinton, not Trump.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Outright lying? They all have lied to us. Every last one of them. Does he do it more than others? I don't know. It's not like you can trust the fact checking sites. The media constantly twists his words and portrays him as either a liar or racist, and his critics eat the lies up that the media feeds them about him (Russia, obstruction, Charlotte, etc etc etc). I suspect that he exaggerates more, and on a larger scale, than most of his predecessors. I have no clue if he outright lies more. Wouldn't surprise me if he did. Wouldn't surprise me if he didn't, either. Remember, we had a president IMPEACHED for lying, good ol' Clinton, not Trump.
that entire case bogus. Conservative or not I didn't give care about Clinton and Lewinsky. As long as he is doing his job I'm ok with it. JFK and almost every president before him cheated. Not saying it was the right thing to do and it never should have gone to trial. btw he was acquitted when the Senate couldn't get the 2/3rds majority needed.

Clinton was a moderate and it probably was the last time anything got accomplished. Like him or not, he and Newt Gingrich got a lot accomplished during his years in office.

Hillary is a different story and I didn't vote for her, but i also didn't vote for Trump. I went Gary Johnson because i didn't like either candidate, including Gary Johnson. lol

Tank

Hall of Famer
that entire case bogus. Conservative or not I didn't give care about Clinton and Lewinsky. As long as he is doing his job I'm ok with it. JFK and almost every president before him cheated. Not saying it was the right thing to do and it never should have gone to trial. btw he was acquitted when the Senate couldn't get the 2/3rds majority needed.

Clinton was a moderate and it probably was the last time anything got accomplished. Like him or not, he and Newt Gingrich got a lot accomplished during his years in office.

Hillary is a different story and I didn't vote for her, but i also didn't vote for Trump. I went Gary Johnson because i didn't like either candidate, including Gary Johnson. lol
He wasn’t talking about Clinton getting a hummer, he was talking about him lying. Also, Clinton was impeached for perjury and obstruction of justice, no question he was guilty on both counts. In essence the 2/3 majority that wasn’t achieved on each was needed to remove him from office.

Last edited:

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
They are all liars, I think we can pretty much all agree on that. That's not a difficult thing to say at all.

None of that has anything to do with what I said.

He takes things too far and plays right into the hands of people that will say things like "build a wall, build a wall" to children and also "send her back"

For the last time, he may not be racist (I am on record saying that I don't think he is) but the manner that he speaks in empowers those who are racist and prejudice to others.

There was a terrible documentary that I saw that linked Trump to be the greatest president since Lincoln and in that video that had the white supremacist saying just how much Trump spoke for them even though the narrator kept telling him that was not the case. Richard Spencer was the name of that particular guy.

Even when TOLD that Trump did not speak for them he insisted that he did.

So again, some polish would not hurt. Maybe I am to young, but since I have been around I have never seen a President openly speak in a manner that empowers guys like this.

Tank

Hall of Famer
They are all liars, I think we can pretty much all agree on that. That's not a difficult thing to say at all.

None of that has anything to do with what I said.

He takes things too far and plays right into the hands of people that will say things like "build a wall, build a wall" to children and also "send her back"

For the last time, he may not be racist (I am on record saying that I don't think he is) but the manner that he speaks in empowers those who are racist and prejudice to others.

There was a terrible documentary that I saw that linked Trump to be the greatest president since Lincoln and in that video that had the white supremacist saying just how much Trump spoke for them even though the narrator kept telling him that was not the case. Richard Spencer was the name of that particular guy.

Even when TOLD that Trump did not speak for them he insisted that he did.

So again, some polish would not hurt. Maybe I am to young, but since I have been around I have never seen a President openly speak in a manner that empowers guys like this.
Trump should be banned from twitter and social media in general, definitely needs to stop running his mouth. He is an ass but there’s no denying he has tried to get things accomplished that he said he would, no denying that.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Trump should be banned from twitter and social media in general, definitely needs to stop running his mouth. He is an ass but there’s no denying he has tried to get things accomplished that he said he would, no denying that.
I disagree if all he's doing is running his mouth. Now if he was OPENLY calling for violence, sharing classified material (beyond stupid to do that), etc., then yeah. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

Tank

Hall of Famer
I disagree if all he's doing is running his mouth. Now if he was OPENLY calling for violence, sharing classified material (beyond stupid to that), etc., then yeah. Just my two cents.
Not sure what you mean. All I said was that he was trying to accomplish things he said he would when campaigning. Whether you or I think those things are right or wrong, fact is he has tried to get many of them done.

I did a simple search and came up with this article.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/20/6865...sident-trumps-campaign-promises-2-years-later

A big one missing for me is working on fixing the nation’s infrastructure.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Not sure what you mean. All I said was that he was trying to accomplish things he said he would when campaigning. Whether you or I think those things are right or wrong, fact is he has tried to get many of them done.

I did a simple search and came up with this article.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/20/6865...sident-trumps-campaign-promises-2-years-later

A big one missing for me is working on fixing the nation’s infrastructure.
I was only disagreeing with him being banned on Twitter and social media. That was all.

flynismo

Practice Squad

Don't get me wrong, I actually liked Clinton a lot. After Reagan and Trump, he's #3 on my list of favorites during my lifetime.

Additionally, I 100% agree with your sentiment. As long as the president is doing his job, who gives a damn what he does in his personal life. And there is no question the Clinton administration got more done than probably any president in recent history, regardless of whether you agree/disagree with what he did (there certainly was a lot NOT to like that he did).

But what aggravates me is the double standards. Most people find the Lewinski ordeal more humorous than scandalous. Most people acknowledge his productivity in office, despite some of his "accomplishments" being extremely harmful to the country / citizens. Most people ignore all his lies because he is a likeable person.
And yet, Trump is a dog because of Stormy Daniels, Trump has accomplished "nothing" despite being the most productive president since Clinton was in office, and the media and a lot of people go out of their way to twist Trump's words or straight up fabricate things in order to make him look like a liar or racist or whatever the trendy -ist or -phobe is that day.

But damn...voting for Johnson must have been a tough pill to swallow. :O

flynismo

Practice Squad

No, not at all. Just because the things he says is abrasive, or melts some snowflakes, it doesn't mean it is wrong or untrue.
And I gotta say, after 8 years of a spineless coward in office (Obama), I love having someone with a set of brass balls running this country.
The only things I don't want him saying is anything that is untrue or stretching the truth. And he does do that as well. But whatevs, I'll take the bad with the good when it comes to that.

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
He wasn’t talking about Clinton getting a hummer, he was talking about him lying. Also, Clinton was impeached for perjury and obstruction of justice, no question he was guilty on both counts. In essence the 2/3 majority that wasn’t achieved on each was needed to remove him from office.
i know why he was impeached

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
Don't get me wrong, I actually liked Clinton a lot. After Reagan and Trump, he's #3 on my list of favorites during my lifetime.

Additionally, I 100% agree with your sentiment. As long as the president is doing his job, who gives a damn what he does in his personal life. And there is no question the Clinton administration got more done than probably any president in recent history, regardless of whether you agree/disagree with what he did (there certainly was a lot NOT to like that he did).

But what aggravates me is the double standards. Most people find the Lewinski ordeal more humorous than scandalous. Most people acknowledge his productivity in office, despite some of his "accomplishments" being extremely harmful to the country / citizens. Most people ignore all his lies because he is a likeable person.
And yet, Trump is a dog because of Stormy Daniels, Trump has accomplished "nothing" despite being the most productive president since Clinton was in office, and the media and a lot of people go out of their way to twist Trump's words or straight up fabricate things in order to make him look like a liar or racist or whatever the trendy -ist or -phobe is that day.

But damn...voting for Johnson must have been a tough pill to swallow. :O
no question

Status
Not open for further replies.