• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Well-Mannered Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I hope you don't mind me asking; but what race are you?
I've been asking all my black and hispanic friends what they think of Trump, just to get an idea of whether the media's claims line up anywhere near that of reality.

For the record, if anybody gives a hoot....I've asked 12 black people, and 3 latinos so far. Five of the twelve black people are pro-Trump. One of the three latinos are pro Trump. I know, I know, not exactly a very reliable sample size. But interesting to me nonetheless.

I do not mind answering this question at all. In fact I will let you in a little bit to give you better insight.

I am black and "Hispanic". Both my parents are from the Dominican Republic, my mother is extremely pale/yellowish and my father is black. I was born and raised in Jersey. Both parents born in the DR but my father was raised in the DMV area and hustled a bit as well.

My entire family with the exception of my brother and cousins came from the Dominican. Race is a touchy subject in that country and in "Latin America" as to how we are perceived in those communities.

I agree with your mentality about doing something about your situation, however where I disagree is in the approach people like Shapiro and Trump take. I do find myself agreeing with things in a serious setting when they speak.

I dislike Trump simply for his approach which is mostly blurting out what is on his mind and playing to the crowd. That is dangerous to me.

flynismo

Practice Squad
I do not mind answering this question at all. In fact I will let you in a little bit to give you better insight.

I am black and "Hispanic". Both my parents are from the Dominican Republic, my mother is extremely pale/yellowish and my father is black. I was born and raised in Jersey. Both parents born in the DR but my father was raised in the DMV area and hustled a bit as well.

My entire family with the exception of my brother and cousins came from the Dominican. Race is a touchy subject in that country and in "Latin America" as to how we are perceived in those communities.

I agree with your mentality about doing something about your situation, however where I disagree is in the approach people like Shapiro and Trump take. I do find myself agreeing with things in a serious setting when they speak.

I dislike Trump simply for his approach which is mostly blurting out what is on his mind and playing to the crowd. That is dangerous to me.

Thank you; I can relate with race being a touchy area being mixed race and from South Africa myself. I find it interesting as hell that all the immigrants that I know who come from racially divided countries see right through the "racist" narrative that the media tries to sling, but the guilty white libs fall for it hook, line and sinker.

I don't see his approach as dangerous. The democrats have drawn a very clear line in the sand. You're either with them, or you hate this country and you are every -ist and -phobe known to man. As someone said earlier in this thread -- extremism can only usually be defeated by extremism. Having a soft marshmallow like Obama or Bush Jr would be so god awful right now. I want someone with a platform to speak up for me, fight for me. Trump is doing that in spades as far as I'm concerned. I think that's why I like him so much. We can both be quite belligerent and aggressive when need be. That rubs a lot of people the wrong way. But when it is you that kind of person is fighting for, you're glad to have them on your side.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
Or..... or maybe the problem is the government not raising the minimum wage from $7.25 since 2009! July 24th, 2009 it was raised to $7.25 and a little over 10 years later, the LONGEST STRETCH that it has not increased by the way. Nobody in congress, Obama nor Trump have addressed this issue that is a real problem. People have to work two jobs because nobody in DC wants to do anything about it. That's the REAL PROBLEM.
7.25 in 2009 comes out to 8.67 when inflation is accounted for according to this

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

One of these days I would really like toi look at the histories of the carribean islands. Thanks for sharing your info.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
One of these days I would really like toi look at the histories of the carribean islands. Thanks for sharing your info.

Slavery in Western civilization started on the island of Hispaniola (Haiti and Dominican). The Caribbean islands are predominantly black and whatever remnants of German, English (Jamaica), and Spanish-Spain rule.

It's a very painful history, a lot of us have family members that say things like "lighten up the race"

It's sad

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Slavery in Western civilization started on the island of Hispaniola (Haiti and Dominican). The Caribbean islands are predominantly black and whatever remnants of German, English (Jamaica), and Spanish-Spain rule.

It's a very painful history, a lot of us have family members that say things like "lighten up the race"

It's sad

Yeah a lot of blacks migrated down there after the 1812 war to the English colonies that was earlier promised to them and mixed into the other islands as well and just the different languages that are spoken there (Dutch,English,French and Spanish) just breeded a whole bunch of different cultures which really is a cool result in the end. I mean come on. Jamaican jerk chicken!! Put a simple seasoning and then slather the Walkerswood paste on it and thow it on the grill. Jeezus!!

Where it comes to slavery sadly not near enough people understand the total journey of how slaves came to western civilization. It all starts off with the middle passage in most minds but the journey started well before that.

Interesting that you say people say "lighten up the race" I have noticed different shades just from watching baseball but is there racism down there cuz of this? I do know Dominicans try to keep Haitians out but this could be cuz of different languages. I'm not sure.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yeah a lot of blacks migrated down there after the 1812 war to the English colonies that was earlier promised to them and mixed into the other islands as well and just the different languages that are spoken there (Dutch,English,French and Spanish) just breeded a whole bunch of different cultures which really is a cool result in the end. I mean come on. Jamaican jerk chicken!! Put a simple seasoning and then slather the Walkerswood paste on it and thow it on the grill. Jeezus!!

Where it comes to slavery sadly not near enough people understand the total journey of how slaves came to western civilization. It all starts off with the middle passage in most minds but the journey started well before that.

Interesting that you say people say "lighten up the race" I have noticed different shades just from watching baseball but is there racism down there cuz of this? I do know Dominicans try to keep Haitians out but this could be cuz of different languages. I'm not sure.

That beef is deeply rooted in racism and history. Haitians are a proud people, Dominicans depending on who you talk to can and will deny any form of blackness. Look at Sammy Sosa for example. Another example would be Vybz who is a Jamaican artist who also uses lightening creams on his skin.

Dominican Republic is 73% "Mixed" 11% Black and 16% White. Think Drake and Steph Curry when I say mixed lol

This hatred for self is something that was taught and handed down during slavery. Brazil too has a similar issue.

Being Black is.....an uphill battle against yourself.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
That beef is deeply rooted in racism and history. Haitians are a proud people, Dominicans depending on who you talk to can and will deny any form of blackness. Look at Sammy Sosa for example. Another example would be Vybz who is a Jamaican artist who also uses lightening creams on his skin.

Dominican Republic is 73% "Mixed" 11% Black and 16% White. Think Drake and Steph Curry when I say mixed lol

This hatred for self is something that was taught and handed down during slavery. Brazil too has a similar issue.

Being Black is.....an uphill battle against yourself.
As Rowan Pope from Scandal said, "You have to work twice as hard to get half of what they got."

What happened?

Here's the link: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/witness-comes-forward-in-don-lemon-assault-accusation

In addition, here's a snippet from said article:
"An accusation of assault against CNN host Don Lemon in the Hamptons last summer has been corroborated by a second man.

Lemon was accused by Dustin Hice, who worked as a bartender at the time, of grabbing his own genitals and making sexually explicit comments to him. Hice filed suit against Lemon last week seeking unspecified damages resulting from the encounter.

"He put his hands down his pants, inside his board shorts, grabbed his [genitals]," George Gounelas, Hice's former boss who claims to have seen the whole encounter, told Fox News on Thursday. "[Lemon] then came out with two fingers and, like, clipped Dustin’s nose up and down with two fingers asking, ‘Do you like p---y or d--k?’”

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
Last edited:

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Well you aren't wrong lol

https://www.newsweek.com/fox-news-frustration-young-americans-believe-climate-change-1454016

But props on them for likely taking money from a good organization marketing themselves on a popular channel.

Good on you for donating though, it is a serious problem and it is good that someone is addressing it.

I've said in the past I'm worried about what they're teaching and the educators are strongly pushing climate change and also when an article says 97% of scientists agree grains of salt tumble thru my brain.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
As Rowan Pope from Scandal said, "You have to work twice as hard to get half of what they got."

Here's the link: https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/witness-comes-forward-in-don-lemon-assault-accusation

"An accusation of assault against CNN host Don Lemon in the Hamptons last summer has been corroborated by a second man.

Lemon was accused by Dustin Hice, who worked as a bartender at the time, of grabbing his own genitals and making sexually explicit comments to him. Hice filed suit against Lemon last week seeking unspecified damages resulting from the encounter.

"He put his hands down his pants, inside his board shorts, grabbed his [genitals]," George Gounelas, Hice's former boss who claims to have seen the whole encounter, told Fox News on Thursday. "[Lemon] then came out with two fingers and, like, clipped Dustin’s nose up and down with two fingers asking, ‘Do you like p---y or d--k?’”

Wow!!!!! Tell you what I would've broke them damn fingers quick!! And it wouldn't have stopped there.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor

Well shit

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Mexico arrested and will deport an American Citizen who was under investigation for supporting terrorist groups.

https://news.yahoo.com/mexico-deport-u-citizen-suspected-191519469.html

How dare Mexico separate this person from his family by deporting him! I hope he is not scarred from this life altering situation, must be scary to be separated from his family.... Mexico's authorities are doing their job and not letting this man go freely on his way lol.

Weird how there is no outrage for this from America but yet we get upset when we try to detain illegals breaking laws and telling ICE not to do their job they are supposed to do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.