• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Well-Mannered Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Not saying I disagree. However, why are people held to the same standard the president is?

There's a lot of people that can influence (critical word) just as much as the president. He is not a king. Lots of propaganda spread by all kinds of sources that can have a direct effect on society. As for him tweeting you should know by now he doesn't trust the media. They use selective quotes and spin what he is saying.

Tank

Hall of Famer
There's a lot of people that can influence (critical word) just as much as the president. He is not a king. Lots of propaganda spread by all kinds of sources that can have a direct effect on society. As for him tweeting you should know by now he doesn't trust the media. They use selective quotes and spin what he is saying.
Yeah but he's just feeding the machine. I think he'd be better off to use the Marshawn Lynch approach.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
I don't know, I think the person in control of our nukes should be held to a higher standard than the average person on twitter

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
You're right. Trump is important. Nobody else is.
I mean if you wanna find me someone with as much influence not just on twitter but in general who acts like this, then go ahead. It is easy to find dumb people on both sides, but none with as much influence and power as Trump.

If Obama were president you would agree with me. I remember when Obama golfing was a big deal lol

The truth is that both parties only care about themselves at this point and will say and do whatever they have to in order to get power/keep it. That includes Trump and the Republicans.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I mean if you wanna find me someone with as much influence not just on twitter but in general who acts like this, then go ahead. It is easy to find dumb people on both sides, but none with as much influence and power as Trump.

If Obama were president you would agree with me. I remember when Obama golfing was a big deal lol

The truth is that both parties only care about themselves at this point and will say and do whatever they have to in order to get power/keep it. That includes Trump and the Republicans.

You gotta understand a lot of people that have major followings don't have their tweets constantly scrutinized by the media. So when you talk about influence and power there is equal if not greater than Trump. Do you know everything Barack Obama is saying and what kind of propaganda or people in Hollywood or even news outlets. Their followers do. Could be a bunch of lies. Who knows? I don't follow twitter or tweet at all. See the thing is I don't disagree with his tweets like you do. I just wish he would tone it down sometimes.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor

This is very true. I don't like where this country is headed with politics.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
You gotta understand a lot of people that have major followings don't have their tweets constantly scrutinized by the media. So when you talk about influence and power there is equal if not greater than Trump. Do you know everything Barack Obama is saying and what kind of propaganda or people in Hollywood or even news outlets. Their followers do. Could be a bunch of lies. Who knows? I don't follow twitter or tweet at all. See the thing is I don't disagree with his tweets like you do. I just wish he would tone it down sometimes.

That is literally the issue most of us have. When we say that however, it's met with "oh well this person or that person says this" None of them are the President of the United States.

People have taken shots and will continue to take shots at all of our presidents going forward given the rise of social media. He is the only president of the 3 in this era to constantly punch down.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
That is literally the issue most of us have. When we say that however, it's met with "oh well this person or that person says this" None of them are the President of the United States.

People have taken shots and will continue to take shots at all of our presidents going forward given the rise of social media. He is the only president of the 3 in this era to constantly punch down.

Obama fought back a lot of times against the media. He counterpunched a lot. The MSM was on his side but boy he said an awful lot about FOX.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

i dont think you understand how twitter works - this is literally why some celebrities have been chased off twitter - because everything they say and do is heavily scrutinized - yet as andrew says there are no people on the platform with equivalent followings who are as poorly behaved and erratic in that setting

there are low-level public facing people who get fired or have jobs withdrawn for mildly (in comparison) offensive comments and tweets etc. over twitter - trump spouts vitriol that in most jobs would be deemed a sackable offence for bringing his employers into disrepute

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
Obama fought back a lot of times against the media. He counterpunched a lot. The MSM was on his side but boy he said an awful lot about FOX.

Ok, give me an example. I would like to see how he responded.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
So he said this

Obama: [Laughs] Look, as president, I swore to uphold the Constitution, and part of that Constitution is a free press. We’ve got a tradition in this country of a press that oftentimes is opinionated. The golden age of an objective press was a pretty narrow span of time in our history. Before that, you had folks like Hearst who used their newspapers very intentionally to promote their viewpoints. I think Fox is part of that tradition — it is part of the tradition that has a very clear, undeniable point of view. It’s a point of view that I disagree with. It’s a point of view that I think is ultimately destructive for the long-term growth of a country that has a vibrant middle class and is competitive in the world. But as an economic enterprise, it’s been wildly successful. And I suspect that if you ask Mr. Murdoch what his number-one concern is, it’s that Fox is very successful.

Which is nowhere near how Trump responds man.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
So he said this

Obama: [Laughs] Look, as president, I swore to uphold the Constitution, and part of that Constitution is a free press. We’ve got a tradition in this country of a press that oftentimes is opinionated. The golden age of an objective press was a pretty narrow span of time in our history. Before that, you had folks like Hearst who used their newspapers very intentionally to promote their viewpoints. I think Fox is part of that tradition — it is part of the tradition that has a very clear, undeniable point of view. It’s a point of view that I disagree with. It’s a point of view that I think is ultimately destructive for the long-term growth of a country that has a vibrant middle class and is competitive in the world. But as an economic enterprise, it’s been wildly successful. And I suspect that if you ask Mr. Murdoch what his number-one concern is, it’s that Fox is very successful.

Which is nowhere near how Trump responds man.

So in other words since you're defending him you're cool with him spying on reporters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...c473de-be5e-11e2-97d4-a479289a31f9_story.html

And you just read this. It was below this statement. If Trump did this after all the leaks that have come out after he became president you'd be cool with that too right.

The surveillance of Rosen will raise yet more questions about the extreme tactics adopted by the Justice Department’s multiple aggressive leak investigations. Last week, amid a storm of controversy following the revelation the feds had grabbed AP reporters’ phone records as part of a leak probe, Attorney General Eric Holder said he was “not sure” how many similar cases of snooping on reporters he had authorized. A number of top American journalists have commented in recent days on how draconian leak prosecutions and the practice of spying on reporters is damaging legitimate journalism, causing a chilling effect that prevents sources and whistleblowers from ever coming forward.

Last edited:

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
So in other words since you're defending him you're cool with him spying on reporters.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...c473de-be5e-11e2-97d4-a479289a31f9_story.html

And you just read this. It was below this statement. If Trump did this after all the leaks that have come out after he became president you'd be cool with that too right.

The surveillance of Rosen will raise yet more questions about the extreme tactics adopted by the Justice Department’s multiple aggressive leak investigations. Last week, amid a storm of controversy following the revelation the feds had grabbed AP reporters’ phone records as part of a leak probe, Attorney General Eric Holder said he was “not sure” how many similar cases of snooping on reporters he had authorized. A number of top American journalists have commented in recent days on how draconian leak prosecutions and the practice of spying on reporters is damaging legitimate journalism, causing a chilling effect that prevents sources and whistleblowers from ever coming forward.

I see what you are trying to do and it would work if I was a "Democrat" or Obama supporter but I'm not.

My original statements

"Nowhere near how Trump responds man"

"People have taken shots and will continue to take shots at all of our presidents going forward given the rise of social media. He is the only president of the 3 in this era to constantly punch down."

Both of which are tied to how Trump responds to the media. Nobody is implying that he needs to be friends with anybody. That being said, he lacks tact.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
I see what you are trying to do and it would work if I was a "Democrat" or Obama supporter but I'm not.

My original statements

"Nowhere near how Trump responds man"

"People have taken shots and will continue to take shots at all of our presidents going forward given the rise of social media. He is the only president of the 3 in this era to constantly punch down."

Both of which are tied to how Trump responds to the media. Nobody is implying that he needs to be friends with anybody. That being said, he lacks tact.

You don't seem to grasp that Obama constantly "punched down". It just wasn't glorified. Just cuz one speaks with more eloquence...……...

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
You don't seem to grasp that Obama constantly "punched down". It just wasn't glorified. Just cuz one speaks with more eloquence...……...

You and I both know that it really matters how you say things.

Trump has all the right in the world to defend himself. Its the how

Status
Not open for further replies.