• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Well-Mannered Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
Some don't have the gift of gab. Just the way it is.

1. I thought he was a stable genius with all the best words

2. Just this morning, he posted a tweet where he misspelled the name of his own secretary of defense. In addition to that he contradicted him on where troops were going(secretary says western Iraq, he says back home). That is a great sign about how things are going behind the curtain. And even Trump in his great and unmatched wisdom decided to delete the tweet. This is just from today.

3. I mean props for bringing up what Obama did years ago as president but wasn't your entire point that there are people besides president who have more influence? It sounds like you are arguing my point for me.

Not sure what the current debate is here. If it is that Trump does himself (but more importantly, those who voted for him because they believe in much of what he says he's trying to accomplish) a disservice by shooting from the hip and throwing out half-baked, poorly formed messages on Twitter, then on that front I'd agree. I don't understand that approach but then it is just his style. Trump appears to be part businessman, part politician and part shock-jock. The shock jock part is just who he is and it endears him to a segment of his base so I'd expect more of the same.

I've been rather displeased with Trump from the beginning, because I have felt like much of what he stands for from a policy perspective is on target, but the way he delivers the message alienates many.

However, as long as the Dems keep trotting out people who appear to be borderline communists who many will fear threaten to destroy everything they've worked so hard for their whole lives and as long as the mainstream press keeps lauding them enthusiastically while condemning everything move that Trump makes, it won't matter. The voting public will lie (out of fear of being labeled a racist and xenophobe) and say they don't support Trump, but get in the booth and pull his lever.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
1. I thought he was a stable genius with all the best words

2. Just this morning, he posted a tweet where he misspelled the name of his own secretary of defense. In addition to that he contradicted him on where troops were going(secretary says western Iraq, he says back home). That is a great sign about how things are going behind the curtain. And even Trump in his great and unmatched wisdom decided to delete the tweet. This is just from today.

3. I mean props for bringing up what Obama did years ago as president but wasn't your entire point that there are people besides president who have more influence? It sounds like you are arguing my point for me.

#1. That's what you get for thinking.

#2. Is this the tweet? Where does he say he's bringing them home in this tweet? Or the misspelling? This is on the liberal sites.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

“The ceasefire is holding up very nicely. There are some minor skirmishes that have ended quickly. New areas being resettled with Kurds. U.S. soldiers are not in combat or ceasefire zone. We have secured the Oil.” Mark Esper, Secretary of Defense. Ending endless wars!

11:03 AM - Oct 20, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

39.6K people are talking about this

When it comes to the "abandonment of Kurds" what should we do? Attack Turkey and kill Turkish soldiers that clearly said they're coming or even act as human shields? They are a part of NATO and we have a treaty with them. Funny how everybody criticizes but don't have answers/solutions. If Congress wants war they should sign off on it. We damn sure can get into a deeper discussion of this if anybody wants.

#3. I was asked a question about Obama and the media. I answered it. Had nothing to do with tweets. Trump uses words while Obama used action. Big spying problem and abuse of power. As for influence Hollywood activists have a lot of it and even extreme factions for both sides. A lot of people hinge on what they say.

Last edited:

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
#1. That's what you get for thinking.

#2. Is this the tweet? Where does he say he's bringing them home in this tweet? Or the misspelling? This is on the liberal sites.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

“The ceasefire is holding up very nicely. There are some minor skirmishes that have ended quickly. New areas being resettled with Kurds. U.S. soldiers are not in combat or ceasefire zone. We have secured the Oil.” Mark Esper, Secretary of Defense. Ending endless wars!

11:03 AM - Oct 20, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

39.6K people are talking about this

When it comes to the "abandonment of Kurds" what should we do? Attack Turkey and kill Turkish soldiers that clearly said they're coming or even act as human shields? They are a part of NATO and we have a treaty with them. Funny how everybody criticizes but don't have answers/solutions. If Congress wants war they should sign off on it. We damn sure can get into a deeper discussion of this if anybody wants.

#3. I was asked a question about Obama and the media. I answered it. Had nothing to do with tweets. Trump uses words while Obama used action. Big spying problem and abuse of power. As for influence Hollywood activists have a lot of it and even extreme factions for both sides. A lot of people hinge on what they say.

1. Sorry but he can't be a 4-D Chessmaster like some claim while also not being smart enough to have the gift of gab so which is it?

2. If you actually decided to read my entire reply, you would have seen that I said

And even Trump in his great and unmatched wisdom decided to delete the tweet.

He calls his own secretary of defense "Esperanto" so no you don't have it. Of course I am not surprised you call it a leftist site even though the president himself posts there more often than most. Just today he has called never Trumpers "human scum". Maybe you should actually read what he has to say and take all the "spin" out of it since the media is such a problem. He certainly doesn't post on Breitbart or Reddit this much.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1187063301731209220

3. So now we are going to go on about Hollywood being all together as part of the deep state? What next? Do I have to worry about the Teletubbies? Still dodging my main question(wonder why). Give me names of people with more influence who act like this. The only name you brought up is Obama when replying to my question.

You gotta understand a lot of people that have major followings don't have their tweets constantly scrutinized by the media. So when you talk about influence and power there is equal if not greater than Trump. Do you know everything Barack Obama is saying and what kind of propaganda or people in Hollywood or even news outlets. Their followers do. Could be a bunch of lies. Who knows? I don't follow twitter or tweet at all. See the thing is I don't disagree with his tweets like you do. I just wish he would tone it down sometimes.

Although on the subject of not disagreeing with his tweets, I guess you then agree that all never Trumpers are human scum too right?

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler
Not sure what the current debate is here. If it is that Trump does himself (but more importantly, those who voted for him because they believe in much of what he says he's trying to accomplish) a disservice by shooting from the hip and throwing out half-baked, poorly formed messages on Twitter, then on that front I'd agree. I don't understand that approach but then it is just his style. Trump appears to be part businessman, part politician and part shock-jock. The shock jock part is just who he is and it endears him to a segment of his base so I'd expect more of the same.

I've been rather displeased with Trump from the beginning, because I have felt like much of what he stands for from a policy perspective is on target, but the way he delivers the message alienates many.

However, as long as the Dems keep trotting out people who appear to be borderline communists who many will fear threaten to destroy everything they've worked so hard for their whole lives and as long as the mainstream press keeps lauding them enthusiastically while condemning everything move that Trump makes, it won't matter. The voting public will lie (out of fear of being labeled a racist and xenophobe) and say they don't support Trump, but get in the booth and pull his lever.

I don't like either of these parties to be honest so I may not pull the lever for either. I didn't in 2016 and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I think at this point, neither party really cares about the constitution or democracy. I mean Trump is calling the emoluments clause(part of the constitution) phony now. They both only care about the constitution, like everything else, when it benefits them. Both parties care about themselves more than the country and the media on both sides is more than happy to play along in hopes their side wins.

I think my main point at the end of the day in regards to the debate above you is that people can't just complain about thing the democrats post on twitter when the leader of the Republican party is doing the same stuff. Just be an adult and be the bigger man instead of making things more difficult. I have said it before but Reagan wouldn't be dealing with these issues nearly as badly. That and it would be really nice if people decided to take a good honest look at their side once in a while. Too many people don't do that anymore and it has led us to where we are now.

I don't like either of these parties to be honest so I may not pull the lever for either. I didn't in 2016 and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I think at this point, neither party really cares about the constitution or democracy. I mean Trump is calling the emoluments clause(part of the constitution) phony now. They both only care about the constitution, like everything else, when it benefits them. Both parties care about themselves more than the country and the media on both sides is more than happy to play along in hopes their side wins.

I think my main point at the end of the day in regards to the debate above you is that people can't just complain about thing the democrats post on twitter when the leader of the Republican party is doing the same stuff. Just be an adult and be the bigger man instead of making things more difficult. I have said it before but Reagan wouldn't be dealing with these issues nearly as badly. That and it would be really nice if people decided to take a good honest look at their side once in a while. Too many people don't do that anymore and it has led us to where we are now.
Agree strongly with a whole lot of what you said here. So many people come to the defense of “their team” blindly regardless what is going on and lap up the swill that media outlets that lean their way spew out so as to justify their opinion. All the while as you say neither side cares about anyone but advancing themselves. How anyone can get fired up in support of members of either party is beyond me. The majority of the voting population holds their nose and votes for the person they feel will do the least damage.

I have voted librarian multiple times during the course of my life because of this. Of course it is a mere protest vote and would likely be catastrophic if that party representative actually won but it is the approach I take when I just can’t stomach the blue and red options handed to us.

SepticeyePoe

Hall of Famer
I have voted librarian multiple times during the course of my life because of this.
source.gif

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
1. Sorry but he can't be a 4-D Chessmaster like some claim while also not being smart enough to have the gift of gab so which is it?

2. If you actually decided to read my entire reply, you would have seen that I said

He calls his own secretary of defense "Esperanto" so no you don't have it. Of course I am not surprised you call it a leftist site even though the president himself posts there more often than most. Just today he has called never Trumpers "human scum". Maybe you should actually read what he has to say and take all the "spin" out of it since the media is such a problem. He certainly doesn't post on Breitbart or Reddit this much.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1187063301731209220

3. So now we are going to go on about Hollywood being all together as part of the deep state? What next? Do I have to worry about the Teletubbies? Still dodging my main question(wonder why). Give me names of people with more influence who act like this. The only name you brought up is Obama when replying to my question.

Although on the subject of not disagreeing with his tweets, I guess you then agree that all never Trumpers are human scum too right?

Talk about not reading posts

Never called twitter a left wing site. Said I got that tweet from a left wing site.

Never said Hollywood was deep state. Quit spinning my words. You got an awful bad problem of that.

Prove he called him Esperanto. Show a screenshot. I'm sure it was captured right.

As for playing down the middle you're absolutely not. Not one positive post about Trump. Only negatives and you're the one that constantly posts tweets from left handed sources. Middle my ass. I'm sure not bringing up tweets.

You want names. Lebron James. Taylor Swift. Richard Spencer. Louis Farrakhan. The media. Lot of people are highly influenced by what they say especially the media sources. A lot of people don't even listen to what Trump says except whats handed to them.

rossihunter2

Staff Member

Never called twitter a left wing site. Said I got that tweet from a left wing site.

Never said Hollywood was deep state. Quit spinning my words. You got an awful bad problem of that.

Prove he called him Esperanto. Show a screenshot. I'm sure it was captured right.

As for playing down the middle you're absolutely not. Not one positive post about Trump. Only negatives and you're the one that constantly posts tweets from left handed sources. Middle my ass. I'm sure not bringing up tweets.

You want names. Lebron James. Taylor Swift. Richard Spencer. Louis Farrakhan. The media. Lot of people are highly influenced by what they say especially the media sources. A lot of people don't even listen to what Trump says except whats handed to them.

Playing down the middle doesn’t mean saying positive things about trump sometimes if he’s not done anything praise worthy

You’ve got a particularly warped idea of what the left is also if you think his sources are ‘leftist’

I think you’ll find that Richard Spencer gets a whole lot of criticism all the time given that he is literally a neo-nazi

And to say people don’t hear what trump says except what’s literally handed to them when it’s the conservative sites and media who are the ones who literally get talking points sent to them by the White House (which we know because they accidentally sent them to everyone recently)

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
Playing down the middle doesn’t mean saying positive things about trump sometimes if he’s not done anything praise worthy

You’ve got a particularly warped idea of what the left is also if you think his sources are ‘leftist’

I think you’ll find that Richard Spencer gets a whole lot of criticism all the time given that he is literally a neo-nazi

And to say people don’t hear what trump says except what’s literally handed to them when it’s the conservative sites and media who are the ones who literally get talking points sent to them by the White House (which we know because they accidentally sent them to everyone recently)

You're right about the emails. You're just wrong about who it was supposed to go to. It was supposed to go to Republican house members not media. Still a major goof and worse for a 2nd time. But yeah when people constantly hear phrases like existential threat, constitutional crises, manufactured crisis or my favorite Nobody is above the law. I mean like nobody hands out talking points.

52520Andrew

Pro Bowler

You posted links to tweets and said you got them from a left wing site, maybe post the site link then or say which site it was? As for Esperanto...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/20/us/politics/mark-esperanto-trump-tweet.html
https://slate.com/news-and-politics...se-secretary-esper-esperanto-tweet-syria.html
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...mark-esper-name-wrong-syria-tweet/4044675002/
https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...e-have-secured-the-oil-bringing-soldiers-home
https://www.yahoo.com/news/defense-secretary-says-u-troops-144400070.html

Screenshot if you don't trust above links
https://twitter.com/kazweida/status/1185919490552238083

Reply to deleted tweet
https://twitter.com/JoJoFromJerz/status/1185917023685087232

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the deep state, you haven't outright said it but we both know where these talking points lead to
"Do you know everything Barack Obama is saying and what kind of propaganda or people in Hollywood or even news outlets"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Left handed tweets? I have mainly been posting Trump tweets. I saved you the trouble and went through my non-Trump ones

1. Tweet about Chris Collins being expected to plead guilty to insider trading, he ended up pleading guilty.
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1178707583638605825?s=19

2. Pictures of the Clintons at Trump's wedding among other places, the thread goes after both him and Clinton but I guess it speaks ill of our glorious leader so left wing it is
https://twitter.com/trav261/status/1179573757398175745?s=19

3. A reply to a Trump tweet with another Trump tweet
https://twitter.com/NumbersMuncher/status/1170488366804197378?s=19

4. A tweet thread from a meteorologist about the whole Alabama thing, honestly a pretty measured opinion from a guy who generally stays out of politics.
https://twitter.com/mattlanza/status/1169380051592392714

5. A tweet about Hong Kong and the stuff happening there
https://twitter.com/rachel_cheung1/status/1153511236790677506

6. About the McCain incident in Japan linking to the wsj, hardly a left wing source
https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1133882529335980032?s=19

7. Tweet about gas exports being called "molecules of freedom"(actually molecules of U.S. freedom) with link to source below tweet
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1133873423434899457?s=19
https://www.energy.gov/articles/department-energy-authorizes-additional-lng-exports-freeport-lng

8. Just a bad tweet in general, a hurricane doesn't care about the temperature of oceans in the other hemisphere, el nino is something that can have an effect on things but that is based at the equator and doesn't "depend on differences between oceans in different hemispheres"
https://twitter.com/EcoSenseNow/status/1130342526445948928?s=19

And that was it. Ran a search of the thread of https://twitter and came up with 4 pages of results where I got this info. 74 results for the entire thread, will be 75 once I post this I imagine.

As for your list...

LeBron doesn't have as many followers as Trump and frankly he got destroyed by a lot of people in regards to the whole China thing which is well deserved IMO. Also he is a basketball player. Do you go to Ray Lewis or Ed Reed to hear their political opinions? I certainly don't.

Taylor Swift has more followers but doesn't tweet as much and I am not seeing anything like what Trump has tweeted. Mainly just advertising her stuff to her followers. Maybe she has a following among 16 year olds but I figure at least 80% of the country isn't going to worry too much about her opinion. I don't get much of a political vibe when I hear her songs either. I also don't really like her so anything resembling me defending her isn't fun to type out.

You sure he has as much influence as the president? I see he supported Trump in 2016 though

I don't even see 500k followers or a blue check mark for Farrakhan. Hannity has more than 10 times the amount of followers. Does he control more nukes or something?

The media as a whole certainly has a lot of influence but I have been pretty critical of the media and they are more than one person. People on the left will justify themselves based on what Trump puts out there and he digs himself a deeper hole in that department as well. He just makes things more difficult for himself.

As for good things about Trump, why should I? I certainly don't go posting good things about the democrats. No one here really defends the democrats either so I generally don't post as much criticisms of them because it would be a waste of time. What am I supposed to do, argue with myself? If people wanna argue when I criticize someone or they defend one of the sides then I will generally respond. You wanna point me to people defending Hillary that I missed? You think I am some closet Hillary voter? Why would I lie about that? I voted Romney in 2012(Regret that one, he isn't any good but I didn't like Obama then and still don't so that was the motivator) so calling me an Obama fan is just as silly when I chose him of all people over Obama. I am in the middle because I hate both sides equally, it is just that one side is in power right now and not the one you like me complaining about.

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor
You posted links to tweets and said you got them from a left wing site, maybe post the site link then or say which site it was? As for Esperanto...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/20/us/politics/mark-esperanto-trump-tweet.html
https://slate.com/news-and-politics...se-secretary-esper-esperanto-tweet-syria.html
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...mark-esper-name-wrong-syria-tweet/4044675002/
https://thehill.com/homenews/admini...e-have-secured-the-oil-bringing-soldiers-home
https://www.yahoo.com/news/defense-secretary-says-u-troops-144400070.html

Screenshot if you don't trust above links
https://twitter.com/kazweida/status/1185919490552238083

Reply to deleted tweet
https://twitter.com/JoJoFromJerz/status/1185917023685087232

As for the deep state, you haven't outright said it but we both know where these talking points lead to
"Do you know everything Barack Obama is saying and what kind of propaganda or people in Hollywood or even news outlets"

Left handed tweets? I have mainly been posting Trump tweets. I saved you the trouble and went through my non-Trump ones

1. Tweet about Chris Collins being expected to plead guilty to insider trading, he ended up pleading guilty.
https://twitter.com/axios/status/1178707583638605825?s=19

2. Pictures of the Clintons at Trump's wedding among other places, the thread goes after both him and Clinton but I guess it speaks ill of our glorious leader so left wing it is
https://twitter.com/trav261/status/1179573757398175745?s=19

3. A reply to a Trump tweet with another Trump tweet
https://twitter.com/NumbersMuncher/status/1170488366804197378?s=19

4. A tweet thread from a meteorologist about the whole Alabama thing, honestly a pretty measured opinion from a guy who generally stays out of politics.
https://twitter.com/mattlanza/status/1169380051592392714

5. A tweet about Hong Kong and the stuff happening there
https://twitter.com/rachel_cheung1/status/1153511236790677506

6. About the McCain incident in Japan linking to the wsj, hardly a left wing source
https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1133882529335980032?s=19

7. Tweet about gas exports being called "molecules of freedom"(actually molecules of U.S. freedom) with link to source below tweet
https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1133873423434899457?s=19
https://www.energy.gov/articles/department-energy-authorizes-additional-lng-exports-freeport-lng

8. Just a bad tweet in general, a hurricane doesn't care about the temperature of oceans in the other hemisphere, el nino is something that can have an effect on things but that is based at the equator and doesn't "depend on differences between oceans in different hemispheres"
https://twitter.com/EcoSenseNow/status/1130342526445948928?s=19

And that was it. Ran a search of the thread of https://twitter and came up with 4 pages of results where I got this info. 74 results for the entire thread, will be 75 once I post this I imagine.

As for your list...

LeBron doesn't have as many followers as Trump and frankly he got destroyed by a lot of people in regards to the whole China thing which is well deserved IMO. Also he is a basketball player. Do you go to Ray Lewis or Ed Reed to hear their political opinions? I certainly don't.

Taylor Swift has more followers but doesn't tweet as much and I am not seeing anything like what Trump has tweeted. Mainly just advertising her stuff to her followers. Maybe she has a following among 16 year olds but I figure at least 80% of the country isn't going to worry too much about her opinion. I don't get much of a political vibe when I hear her songs either. I also don't really like her so anything resembling me defending her isn't fun to type out.

You sure he has as much influence as the president? I see he supported Trump in 2016 though

I don't even see 500k followers or a blue check mark for Farrakhan. Hannity has more than 10 times the amount of followers. Does he control more nukes or something?

The media as a whole certainly has a lot of influence but I have been pretty critical of the media and they are more than one person. People on the left will justify themselves based on what Trump puts out there and he digs himself a deeper hole in that department as well. He just makes things more difficult for himself.

As for good things about Trump, why should I? I certainly don't go posting good things about the democrats. No one here really defends the democrats either so I generally don't post as much criticisms of them because it would be a waste of time. What am I supposed to do, argue with myself? If people wanna argue when I criticize someone or they defend one of the sides then I will generally respond. You wanna point me to people defending Hillary that I missed? You think I am some closet Hillary voter? Why would I lie about that? I voted Romney in 2012(Regret that one, he isn't any good but I didn't like Obama then and still don't so that was the motivator) so calling me an Obama fan is just as silly when I chose him of all people over Obama. I am in the middle because I hate both sides equally, it is just that one side is in power right now and not the one you like me complaining about.

Fair enough. I will definitely walk my left hand comments back. Thing is I keep getting labeled even tho I voted Perot twice and voted downballot with McCain/Obama. The rest R starting with Reagans 2nd term. I voted twice for OMalley as governor. The 1st time being as I heard Ehrlich was planning on either leasing or selling portions of the Blackwater refuge to a developer friend of his and the 2nd since the Bay was getting cleaner and more crab population and I proudly sport Bay tags on 2 of my vehicles. The 3rd being an agricultural tag. Then he started getting ridiculous with taxes. One example my beer getting taxed 3 more cents on the dollar. Also voted for Ruppersberger religiously until the 18 ballot where I just went R down the ballot. I always like to do a mix sice I consider that a check on the govt. Just revolted on the last time in a form of protest.

When it come to Trump. Reason why his tweets don't bother me that much is just look what he goes thru. Starting with the spying on his campaign, the immediate impeachment talks and the accusatory namecalling. With @gtalk12 saying he is a counterpuncher which means he gets hit 1st and @balfan23 saying he's a shock jock its spot on. Its just who he is. At least he's not fake. Also Trump supporters being labeled as Nazi sympathizers and stuff like that makes me think to hell with people who are offended by his sayings.

As I've said before I'm less govt, less taxes and the Constitution being the law of the land. Also immigration and the economy are the highest on my list of importance.. Where I stand against Trump is things like budgetary control which he has not stopped and some environmental disagreements like the way Anwar exploration was added to the tax cut legislation but for me the plusses outweigh the negatives and by a looonnng shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.