• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

The Well-Mannered Politics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
" You want to talk about Africa? I'll stare at ya, cuz we aint got it too good in America" Ice Cube - Endangered Species

We all want the same things at the end of the day. Pay less in tax, make the money we are suppose to and be left alone with our families and yet some how this is separated into a 2 party system where extremists hide on both sides and make things worse. Yes you can blame the media, yes you can blame Obama, yes you can blame Trump....now what? The blame has been put elsewhere and away from you, what will you do with that information now?

How will you change your life to make sure or at least attempt to end the suffering of so many Americans? I am not white, I came from an area in New Jersey where growing up I saw gang fights outside my window at 3 am. There is an American experience most folks don't know or care to understand.

The Raven

Veteran
As for why people call WaPo and NYT "sensationalists" and "fake news"....the obvious example is Trump's supposed collusion with Russia. What evidence is there of it? There is none, but they would have you believe that Trump is this close to impeachment, because they tend to present the issue as a forgone conclusion, when there is zero evidence to back it up with. Even Maxine Waters of all people, admits this to be true. http://dailycaller.com/2017/05/18/e...-no-evidence-of-trump-russia-collusion-video/
But despite that, every day it seems, Trump's collusion and impending impeachment is a topic of discussion for them. But yet, they fought tooth and nail defending Hillary and her emails. Showing a clear bias is a death sentence to one's credibility. And again, it is not just the "liberal media" pulling this nonsense, it is nearly all of the major networks. This is the world we live in now.

**edit**

No sooner do I say that, and now today WaPo is somewhat back tracking with this article this morning:
To summarize:

"Warning signs existed before Nov. 8. It’s not even clear that more forceful warnings before the election would have made any difference, because it’s hard to see how knowledge of what Russia was purportedly up to would have diminished or altered the effect. But: Trump wasn’t supposed to win. That he did and that he did so narrowly magnified all of the factors that went into his victory, including Russia’s role. That’s the key reason that the meddling question is more important now than it was then."

So giving credit where it is due; this article was about as objective as can be. No accusations were made, no innuendo suggested. If only they would do that consistently.

Here's a primer, from WaPo, on Trump and Russia. This is what I refer to. They regularly update this timeline with new info.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/trump-russia/?utm_term=.1d78d3ea4556

Highlights, with some lines bolded and underlined for emphasis.

- Trump encouraged the Russians to hack Hillary Clinton's email.
- Two days after the election, a Russian official tells a reporter in Moscow that the Kremlin had been in contact with Trump’s campaign.
- Trump pressures FBI Director James B. Comey to drop the investigation into former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn, according to the bureau chief's personal notes. People close to the matter said Comey kept detailed notes of his meetings with Trump
- Comey reportedly sought more money and resources for the Russia investigation. The Washington Post reports this on May 10, a day after Trump fires Comey.
- Trump tells Vice President Pence and others that he wants to fire Comey because of his grievences with the bureau head, one of which includes the belief that Comey was focusing too much on the Russia investigation rather than finding the cause of leaks to journalists.
- The Post reports that Trump revealed highly classified information to the Russian foreign minister and ambassador in a White House meeting
- The Post reports that a senior White House adviser close to President Trump is under scrutiny by investigators who are looking into the possible coordination between Russia and the Trump campaign, according to people familiar with the matter.

This, to me, paints a clear picture that there's something going on here. Why is he trying to hide it? It's abundantly clear he's uncomfortable about it. Intelligence agencies wouldn't be investigating if there was nothing there. While there may not be clear evidence that we can see, it's obvious that the intelligence community sees something that's at least worth digging into. That intel folks are concerned is evidence to me. Here in MD, Congressman Ruppersberger, who used to be the ranking member on the intelligence committee, said he's concerned. People who know what they're talking about are concerned, and that's why the media is concerned.

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
Just to make sure we are on the same page. It is your claim that a MAJOR factor is economic / social status. Your words not mine so I will assume you will affirm that.

In your hypothetical both subject have the "exact" same GPA so I would think that academics alone is not the divide, but I can only assume school history ? Home address?
*shrugs* any clarification?
I'm not saying that them being in a different economic class will determine whether or not one gets into school, but rather that having that money allows a richer child to go to a better school, get better help (tutors), participate in more after school activities, and even go to a better college that costs more money.

gtalk12

Ravens Ring of Honor
I would hire her.

For what I don't know.

What's funny is the narrative she pushed "snowflakes" and how the left can't handle a difference of opinion. the moment she expresses an opinion she's booted off

The irony....

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Here's a primer, from WaPo, on Trump and Russia. This is what I refer to. They regularly update this timeline with new info.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/trump-russia/?utm_term=.1d78d3ea4556

- Two days after the election, a Russian official tells a reporter in Moscow that the Kremlin had been in contact with Trump’s campaign.
- Trump pressures FBI Director James B. Comey to drop the investigation into former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn, according to the bureau chief's personal notes. People close to the matter said Comey kept detailed notes of his meetings with Trump
- Comey reportedly sought more money and resources for the Russia investigation. The Washington Post reports this on May 10, a day after Trump fires Comey.
- Trump tells Vice President Pence and others that he wants to fire Comey because of his grievences with the bureau head, one of which includes the belief that Comey was focusing too much on the Russia investigation rather than finding the cause of leaks to journalists.
- The Post reports that Trump revealed highly classified information to the Russian foreign minister and ambassador in a White House meeting
- The Post reports that a senior White House adviser close to President Trump is under scrutiny by investigators who are looking into the possible coordination between Russia and the Trump campaign, according to people familiar with the matter.

This, to me, paints a clear picture that there's something going on here. Why is he trying to hide it? It's abundantly clear he's uncomfortable about it. Intelligence agencies wouldn't be investigating if there was nothing there. While there may not be clear evidence that we can see, it's obvious that the intelligence community sees something that's at least worth digging into. That intel folks are concerned is evidence to me. Here in MD, Congressman Ruppersberger, who used to be the ranking member on the intelligence committee, said he's concerned. People who know what they're talking about are concerned, and that's why the media is concerned.

What is this the 50s?? Somebody worried bout Sputnik?? Trump wants Russians on our side. Not like sharing with isis or arming our enemies. Russia wants to get along with us. What's the prob? It isn't like he wants our enemies to have nukes like somebody else did

Last edited:

flynismo

Practice Squad

This paints nothing to me. I'm not a Trump fanboy, I will gladly call his bullshit when he deserves it, like that absolutely retarded Mexican tariff he suggested a while back.
Bottom line is, the people who know what they are talking about all say the same thing - there is not a shred of evidence indicating the collusion accusations have any truth to them.
Just six months ago, the Democrats wanted Comey's head over Hillary's email investigation. It was called a witch-hunt. Hillary was a martyr, etc. And we had undeniable proof of wrongdoing on her part.
But now, Trump is getting demonized for getting rid of the guy that the Democrats were raging over just six months prior?

The Raven

Veteran
What is this the 50s?? Somebody worried bout Sputnik?? Trump wants Russians on our side. Not like sharing with isis or arming our enemies. Russia wants to get along with us. What's the prob? It isn't like he wants our enemies to have nukes like somebody else did

Russia is not our friend, and there are reasons information is classified. Republicans want Clinton in jail for simply storing classified info on a private server, but it's okay when Trump just gives it to an unfriendly country? Please reconcile this inconsistency.

This paints nothing to me. I'm not a Trump fanboy, I will gladly call his bullshit when he deserves it, like that absolutely retarded Mexican tariff he suggested a while back.
Bottom line is, the people who know what they are talking about all say the same thing - there is not a shred of evidence indicating the collusion accusations have any truth to them.
Just six months ago, the Democrats wanted Comey's head over Hillary's email investigation. It was called a witch-hunt. Hillary was a martyr, etc. And we had undeniable proof of wrongdoing on her part.
But now, Trump is getting demonized for getting rid of the guy that the Democrats were raging over just six months prior?

If she was guilty of wrongdoing, why didn't eight, GOP led congressional investigations ever convict her of anything?

If there wasn't evidence of collusion, tell me why the intelligence communities and members from the Gang of Eight are concerned. Please reconcile this inconsistency.

As for Comey: Trump is getting demonized for getting rid of a guy that wanted to strengthen the Russia investigation. Your argument is a straw man. Look at the position, not the man. I don't understand why some people think Comey's November incident apparently rids Trump of guilt. That's a faulty correlation if anything. And again, if Trump wasn't worried about his Russian ties, why fire the guy investigating them? Please reconcile this.

Last edited:

29BmoreBird22

Staff Member
Writer
I think you know the difference between "making a profit" and making billions.
It's more for me that he had literally every tool in the world to do this. He didn't start from the bottom and build his way up.

He took what was likely a hundred million dollar operation many, many years ago (when the monetary value wasn't boosted by inflation) and ramped it up.

Yeah, he helped build it up and turned his money into more money, but he had literally every tool to get this done. He didn't start the business himself or start with nothing.

It's impressive within it's context, but not so amazing I can't believe it.

flynismo

Practice Squad
If she was guilty of wrongdoing, why didn't eight, GOP led congressional investigations ever convict her of anything?

If there wasn't evidence of collusion, tell me why the intelligence communities and members from the Gang of Eight are concerned. Please reconcile this inconsistency.

As for Comey: Trump is getting demonized for getting rid of a guy that wanted to strengthen the Russia investigation. Your argument is a straw man. Look at the position, not the man. I don't understand why some people think Comey's November incident apparently rids Trump of guilt. That's a faulty correlation if anything. And again, if Trump wasn't worried about his Russian ties, why fire the guy investigating them? Please reconcile this.

We're talking in circles here. There is no evidence against Trump, there is no inconsistency to reconcile. They are trying to dig up evidence against him, and have failed to do so. If I am mistaken, feel free to point out any evidence they have obtained against Trump.

Hillary's incompetence in handling classified information is blatantly clear, and there was substantial enough reason to believe that she may have violated laws in the process of her mishandling, not just common sense, that was my point. Why did she not get convicted of anything? Because Comey himself said that they could not build a strong enough case against her. Legally speaking, that's all that matters. But this was all very important at the time, because she was extremely careless and put the security of classified information at great risk. This is something the public needs to know about a presidential candidate. The "seasoned veteran with 30+ years in politics" can't even take care of her emails.

No, it isn't a straw man to point out how it is hypocritical for Democrats to call for Comey's head in November, then to turn around and slander Trump when Trump is given the power to do exactly that a few months later. In what world is that a "straw man" other than in a partisan one? You don't understand why some people think Comey's actions last year apparently rids Trump of guilt? That is because nobody has established Trump's guilt. If he is not guilty, then clearly he cannot be rid of guilt. By firing Comey, does all the evidence the FBI uncovered against Trump, if there actually ever was any, suddenly disappear into thin air? Obviously not. So what is the problem with Trump doing exactly what people from BOTH parties have wanted to do for some time now and get rid of this guy? Could Trump have waited for the investigation into his supposed collusion with Russia be completed? Sure I guess he could have. But if the guy is as incompetent and vindictive as the Democrats claim he is, he is not someone who should be leading any investigation, now is he?

Last edited:

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
It's more for me that he had literally every tool in the world to do this. He didn't start from the bottom and build his way up.

He took what was likely a hundred million dollar operation many, many years ago (when the monetary value wasn't boosted by inflation) and ramped it up.

Yeah, he helped build it up and turned his money into more money, but he had literally every tool to get this done. He didn't start the business himself or start with nothing.

Trump began with $40mil. And what he accomplished is very rare. How many people with $40mil turn it into billions. I agree $40mil is a good start but to build an empire and gain national fame for business is yet an extraordinary feat
[doublepost=1495807080,1495805976][/doublepost]This witch hunt is hurting our national security. Russian people want to get along with United States. Why do you think Russians hate Hillary so much? Because the citizens don't want War!! And Hillary talks about Russia like it's the frigging 50's and 80's. And the Russian people fear Hillary will run the United States into War with Russia. And the people don't want that.

You can not fault Russia for fearing NATO and wanting to strengthen itself by putting former Soviet countries back together. Military and bases are spitting distance from its border. And Russia has every right to want to strengthen its security. I been to Russia and Ukraine. And I know many Russians and Ukrainians. And the people want peace and an alliance with America.

I know Russians and many Ukrainians do not trust China. And China is aggressive. And Russia provides a strong buffer zone against China. This witch hunt that portrays Russia as bad one and the heel is hurting our own national security. If anything ever got hot with China like Obama nearly did with the Philippines ocean territory incident. Watch how fast America will want Russia as a friend and ally. This BS witch hunt would stop really fast.

The Raven

Veteran
We're talking in circles here. There is no evidence against Trump, there is no inconsistency to reconcile. They are trying to dig up evidence against him, and have failed to do so. If I am mistaken, feel free to point out any evidence they have obtained against Trump.

Hillary's incompetence in handling classified information is blatantly clear, and there was substantial enough reason to believe that she may have violated laws in the process of her mishandling, not just common sense, that was my point. Why did she not get convicted of anything? Because Comey himself said that they could not build a strong enough case against her. Legally speaking, that's all that matters. But this was all very important at the time, because she was extremely careless and put the security of classified information at great risk. This is something the public needs to know about a presidential candidate. The "seasoned veteran with 30+ years in politics" can't even take care of her emails.

No, it isn't a straw man to point out how it is hypocritical for Democrats to call for Comey's head in November, then to turn around and slander Trump when Trump is given the power to do exactly that a few months later. In what world is that a "straw man" other than in a partisan one? You don't understand why some people think Comey's actions last year apparently rids Trump of guilt? That is because nobody has established Trump's guilt. If he is not guilty, then clearly he cannot be rid of guilt. By firing Comey, does all the evidence the FBI uncovered against Trump, if there actually ever was any, suddenly disappear into thin air? Obviously not. So what is the problem with Trump doing exactly what people from BOTH parties have wanted to do for some time now and get rid of this guy? Could Trump have waited for the investigation into his supposed collusion with Russia be completed? Sure I guess he could have. But if the guy is as incompetent and vindictive as the Democrats claim he is, he is not someone who should be leading any investigation, now is he?
Still waiting for an explanation as to why the nonpartisan intelligence community is concerned, if there apparently isn't anything to be concerned about.

Again, you're making the Comey thing into an issue of partisan hypocrisy, when that's not the issue at hand. The issue is Trump fired the guy investigating Russian ties (which, by the way, even concerned a handful of Congressional Republicans, including Senator McCain). What does Trump firing the guy that was investigating Russia have to do with Democrats being pissed at Comey? Those cases are only tangentially related, and only because it was the same person. Look at the position, not the man holding it. The name of the man is irrelevant. The position and its function are the relevant aspects here. If it was another person entirely holding the position, and Trump fired him after he was investigating Russian ties, what would you say then?

[doublepost=1495808328,1495808205][/doublepost]
Trump began with $40mil. And what he accomplished is very rare. How many people with $40mil turn it into billions. I agree $40mil is a good start but to build an empire and gain national fame for business is yet an extraordinary feat
[doublepost=1495807080,1495805976][/doublepost]This witch hunt is hurting our national security. Russian people want to get along with United States. Why do you think Russians hate Hillary so much? Because the citizens don't want War!! And Hillary talks about Russia like it's the frigging 50's and 80's. And the Russian people fear Hillary will run the United States into War with Russia. And the people don't want that.

You can not fault Russia for fearing NATO and wanting to strengthen itself by putting former Soviet countries back together. Military and bases are spitting distance from its border. And Russia has every right to want to strengthen its security. I been to Russia and Ukraine. And I know many Russians and Ukrainians. And the people want peace and an alliance with America.

I know Russians and many Ukrainians do not trust China. And China is aggressive. And Russia provides a strong buffer zone against China. This witch hunt that portrays Russia as bad one and the heel is hurting our own national security. If anything ever got hot with China like Obama nearly did with the Philippines ocean territory incident. Watch how fast America will want Russia as a friend and ally. This BS witch hunt would stop really fast.
The witch hunt is hurting our national security? Pray tell, how?

Yes, the people want peace with America. I'm not so sure the Kremlin does.

I'd rather have China, which actually has an economy, as an ally, than Russia, which is holding itself together with scotch tape and glue.

Sledge Hammer

Pro Bowler
Still waiting for an explanation as to why the nonpartisan intelligence community is concerned, if there apparently isn't anything to be concerned about.

Again, you're making the Comey thing into an issue of partisan hypocrisy, when that's not the issue at hand. The issue is Trump fired the guy investigating Russian ties (which, by the way, even concerned a handful of Congressional Republicans, including Senator McCain). What does Trump firing the guy that was investigating Russia have to do with Democrats being pissed at Comey? Those cases are only tangentially related, and only because it was the same person. Look at the position, not the man holding it. The name of the man is irrelevant. The position and its function are the relevant aspects here. If it was another person entirely holding the position, and Trump fired him after he was investigating Russian ties, what would you say then?

I'd rather have China, which actually has an economy, as an ally, than Russia, which is holding itself together with scotch tape and glue.

Problem is china wants to replace America as the world superpower. Not be its friend. China's economy has benefitted from heavy western investing. And practically no regulations on working conditions and pollution. Russia has suffered from western sanctions for many years. Russia actually wants to be our ally. If allowed and all sanctions are lifted watch how fast its economy flourishes. This bs that Russia is the enemy is propaganda. Russia is equipped to defend itself not political conquest. Do you see Russia buying up America from the inside out? Do you see Russia influencing news? No it's China and the EU!! Like I said if things ever heated up with china(and it will eventually) watch how fast United States wants Russia as an ally

Last edited:

Since you guys took my topic and flipped on me... can we add an alignment poll?

Willbacker

Ravens Ring of Honor

On your 1st quote far as I'm concerned its not non partisan. Politics have invaded our national security plus firing Comey does not stop the investigation but even with the special investigator if the results don't fall the way the Dems they'll still scream bloody murder.

On your 2nd quote why wont GB share intel with us over the terrorist attack? Cuz of the leaks. That damages the national security.

flynismo

Practice Squad

I'd say Willbacker already beat me to the punch. I'm not so sure there is such a beast as a nonpartisan anything anymore. But that is mere speculation on my part. Which, coincidentally, is precisely what is fueling the intelligence community: speculation. The Ruskies played around with our electorate process? Hmm...naturally, since Trump has a history of doing business with those commie bastards, and everyone hates Trump, that must mean Trump is somehow involved. Lets throw everything we can think of at the wall and see what sticks. There is no evidence, merely speculation.

What would I say if it were someone other than Comey? I honestly do not know. See, I know what you're getting at here (I think), so it's important to note that my stance on all of this isn't based on a pro-Trump perspective, it is my disgust with all the nonsense and yes, "fake news", that is a large driving factor here. Let's say instead of Comey, it was someone that I personally have the utmost trust and faith in - Trey Gowdy. If Gowdy were leading the investigation, and Trump fired him, it would certainly raise an eyebrow. Gowdy doesn't fuck around, he will go for the throat righteously. But, at the end of the day, they have been looking into this for some time already, and still not a shred of actual evidence. The proof is in the pudding. So ultimately, I would find myself in the rare predicament of feeling disappointment in Gowdy.
HOWEVER....I don't think Gowdy would get fired in the first place. Comey was fired for, well being Comey. It's not like nobody saw this coming. Most of us just thought Trump would wait until after the investigations to get rid of him, for this exact reason (people accusing him of trying to obstruct justice).
[doublepost=1495835193,1495831428][/doublepost]A side note - 130+ posts deep, and nobody was called a homer or troll yet. I'm impressed LOL

CharmCityChampions

Practice Squad
As a young person, I would say I learn towards being conservative. To be honest though I cant even stand politics anymore. I don't watch the news (only local mainly), I can't stand the constant bickering and childish attitude between both parties and within both parties, especially the democratic party right now. I don't think I've ever seen a bigger group of people act like children and whine and cry as much as the democrats do it lately. People want this country to be successful? Then our politicians need to get off their high horse and actually try to work with each other, not this crap they are doing now. I'm just sick and disgusted with it all. No wonder many younger people don't bother with politics anymore, because of this crap we have going on now. Once news outlets start reporting news that isn't biased and doesn't have a agenda, then ill start watching, until then...I'm out. Really, I don't even talk about politics with people much anymore either, because it gets my blood boiling having to talk about these morons we have as our politicians.

flynismo

Practice Squad
As a young person, I would say I learn towards being conservative. To be honest though I cant even stand politics anymore. I don't watch the news (only local mainly), I can't stand the constant bickering and childish attitude between both parties and within both parties, especially the democratic party right now. I don't think I've ever seen a bigger group of people act like children and whine and cry as much as the democrats do it lately. People want this country to be successful? Then our politicians need to get off their high horse and actually try to work with each other, not this crap they are doing now. I'm just sick and disgusted with it all. No wonder many younger people don't bother with politics anymore, because of this crap we have going on now. Once news outlets start reporting news that isn't biased and doesn't have a agenda, then ill start watching, until then...I'm out. Really, I don't even talk about politics with people much anymore either, because it gets my blood boiling having to talk about these morons we have as our politicians.

To be fair, the GOP are just as argumentative and childish. We are just seeing this side of the Democrats because they are not in power any more. Rest assured, had Hillary won, we would be seeing the usual crap from GOP right now.

But I want to say, there are many people like @The Raven . You may have noticed he and I (and the other great posters here as well) disagree on a lot, but I have the utmost respect for him. He's a young guy as well, and he has a good head on his shoulders, and has ideals that he strives for and is committed to. He has integrity. I may think he is wrong, he may think I'm a jaded fool, but this entire thread is proof that there are many reasonable people in this world who can talk about differences without making it personal or attacking each other. So don't give up on it! Just find a different group of people.

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
It's important to remember that even if you disagree with someone politically that you are both stretching for the same goal-to make this country the best that it can be. All we disagree on is the methods with which we try to do so.

Problem is china wants to replace America as the world superpower. Not be its friend. China's economy has benefitted from heavy western investing. And practically no regulations on working conditions and pollution. Russia has suffered from western sanctions for many years. Russia actually wants to be our ally. If allowed and all sanctions are lifted watch how fast its economy flourishes. This bs that Russia is the enemy is propaganda. Russia is equipped to defend itself not political conquest. Do you see Russia buying up America from the inside out? Do you see Russia influencing news? No it's China and the EU!! Like I said if things ever heated up with china(and it will eventually) watch how fast United States wants Russia as an ally
And the fact that China wants to do this - should scare the hell out of everyone who values freedom and individual rights vs. government control. Trashing the U.S. and shining a bright light on every little fault is the favorite pastime of our own people and of our allies, while those who oppose us are just sitting back laughing at what fools we are.

We are not perfect and we do have to remain vigilant to ensure that we do stand by our cherished morals, but we've gone way beyond that. Sadly, I have to feel that it is not if, but when China takes our place, the rest of the free world will lament this greatly, but will likely fail to realize the role they played in making it a reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.