• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: vs Browns

GG.exe

Practice Squad
wow.....how great would that be.....

The Ravens clinch the AFC North with a win.They would also clinch a first-round bye if the Patriots and Texans lose and Colts-Titans does not end in a tie.

Militant X 1

Ravens Ring of Honor

Ludy51

Hall of Famer
The nice thing is, both of the other games for the pats and Texans are at 1, so we’ll know exactly what we’re playing for

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Some thoughts/concerns:
It occurred to me that we will have to be able to stop The Browns on four downs for some/much of this game. I can't imagine them punting much beyond their own forty.

On Mayfield - tremendously accurate and fearless thrower between coverages. Likes to hit these throws and does it without effort. Must continue disguising any sort of cover two look should it be called.

I would instruct Jefferson to "cheat" under and read the under stuff even while leaving our corners without help deep...Jefferson's won't be able to read deep well enough to make a play on the ball anyway. we're going to have to run the risk of exposing our corners deep where Jefferson is concerned. He is much better with it in front of him and Mayfield exposes that space regularly, Get him out of the back pedal and take the in between and seam stuff away where you can.

In off coverages on second and medium, Mayfield very good at back shoulder and quick hits and he'll take 6 yards every time in that scenario.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Some thoughts/concerns:
It occurred to me that we will have to be able to stop The Browns on four downs for some/much of this game. I can't imagine them punting much beyond their own forty.

On Mayfield - tremendously accurate and fearless thrower between coverages. Likes to hit these throws and does it without effort. Must continue disguising any sort of cover two look should it be called.

I would instruct Jefferson to "cheat" under and read the under stuff even while leaving our corners without help deep...Jefferson's won't be able to read deep well enough to make a play on the ball anyway. we're going to have to run the risk of exposing our corners deep where Jefferson is concerned. He is much better with it in front of him and Mayfield exposes that space regularly, Get him out of the back pedal and take the in between and seam stuff away where you can.

In off coverages on second and medium, Mayfield very good at back shoulder and quick hits and he'll take 6 yards every time in that scenario.
This was one of my biggest fears and it's why we gotta put this game away ASAP. I can't imagine stopping them on 3rd or 4th and short when they have the studs that they have.

I'd like to see our defense be on point with disguising coverages without giving it away before the play begins. Now, I'm aware that the Browns have pretty good guard play, but I'm really curious why they only scored 17 against the Broncos and 13 against the Texans. I'm kinda perplexed by that.

From time to time, I'd like to see a couple of CB blitzes because this would be the type of game where Judon and ZDS would both slip before getting to Baker and then we'd be fucked.

What are your thoughts/concerns about the Browns defense?

Here is a clip titled: "Bizarre Similarities Between 2017 and 2018 Ravens"

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/video/bizarre-similarities-between-2017-and-2018-ravens-old

The title is totally wrong. It needs to be, "Bizarre Similarities Between 2017 and 2018 Ravens Seasons" ... because the similarities, while remarkable, are purely circumstantial.

The 2018 Ravens team going into week 17 bears little resemblance to the 2017 team. While the offensive style is the obvious difference, the defense is also dramatically different. This unit is healthier, features some young players that are vastly improved from last year and as a unit has more collective experience. Perhaps the most important difference is they are coached by a man who is not afraid to turn them loose on the opponent.

The transformation of this defense is very much like the one we saw between 2010 and 2011 when Chuck Pagano came in and transformed Mattison's timid approach with an aggressive, go for the throat attitude.

It is these differences that will provide a different, positive result in week 17 for this 2018 season.

And it gives something to watch and root for at 1:00.
Yeah - I just wish the game times were flipped. I'd want to know that we're already in, then I'd be able to root hard for the outcomes that improve our seed. Rooting for outcomes that will improve our seed IF we win our game just wont feel the same.

Knowing Greg Williams - I suspect he takes an approach on Lamar that is a bit of a concern. A strategy on a QB who runs an option is to forget about whether you think the QB is going to keep or hand off the ball - just hit the QB hard no matter what. I haven't seen teams really doing this, but I can imagine Williams advocating that.

Sure, the RB will gash you for some good yardage, but your QB will be getting whacked - and in our case, hopefully not hurt. I'm afraid there will be a bounty of sorts (not stated or with monetary reward - he's tried that already) but knocking Lamar out of the game is one way to stop him.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Knowing Greg Williams - I suspect he takes an approach on Lamar that is a bit of a concern. A strategy on a QB who runs an option is to forget about whether you think the QB is going to keep or hand off the ball - just hit the QB hard no matter what. I haven't seen teams really doing this, but I can imagine Williams advocating that.

Sure, the RB will gash you for some good yardage, but your QB will be getting whacked - and in our case, hopefully not hurt. I'm afraid there will be a bounty of sorts (not stated or with monetary reward - he's tried that already) but knocking Lamar out of the game is one way to stop him.

we only ran 6 total option plays against the chargers (4 zone-read plays and 2 RPOs) so unless the gameplan is completely different dont expect a drastically larger number of opportunities to go and hit lamar and pretend he's a runner without the ball

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer

This is also a huge concern. However, I wonder how the refs would call this game because they're as soft as they've been this entire season, this would give automatic 15 yards and first downs. However, I don't want my QB getting hurt so.....I'm definitely nervous.

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer

If that’s the case, then give lamar straight shotgun snaps, if they wanna go crazy on a qb in the pocket then we’ll take some 15 yarders, and if they don’t wanna go crazy and try to hurt him, they’re still gonna go all out blitz giving lamar easy throws and broken fields to scramble.

To me the best way to stop lamar is a traditional cover 2 with an elite run stopping front, lamar evades pressure incredibly well and thinks quick on his toes and giving him easy throws by blitzing and leaving openings for things like slants and seams and rb dumps is suicide.

purp

Practice Squad
I expect us to run at their OLBs quite a bit with designed cutbacks for Dixon.

Think we’re giving their D a little too much credit. They’re awful, significantly worse than when we played them before and the difference maker in the last game (Ward) will not be on the field.

Ravens are tailor made to beat this team in all three phases.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Think we’re giving their D a little too much credit. They’re awful, significantly worse than when we played them before and the difference maker in the last game (Ward) will not be on the field.

Ravens are tailor made to beat this team in all three phases.
I'll be the first one to say I'm guilty of this, but in fairness I don't watch Browns games, but they got a couple of studs in Peppers and Garrett. By no means am I saying you're wrong, but can you explain why you think the Browns D ain't all that other from the fact that Ward won't be playing? Also, I'm curious to know why you think our D can get the better of their O. Again, I'm not saying you're wrong.

Last edited:

allblackraven

Hall of Famer
I'll be the first one to say I'm guilty of this, but in fairness I don't watch Browns game, but they got a couple of studs in Peppers and Garrett. By no means am I saying you're wrong, but can you explain why you think the Browns D ain't all that other from the fact that Ward won't be playing? Also, I'm curious to know why you think our D can get the better of their O. Again, I'm it saying you're wrong.
DT Ogunjobi is very good, luckily not 100% with bicep issues.

JO_75

Hall of Famer
Im sorry but pats and hou both arent gonna lose.. thats not even crossing my mind

Considering Bowles is gone regardless of the result, Jets players may just quit on him and let the Pats win easily. The Jags very well could pull off the upset, anything is possible in week 17.