• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Next Up: vs Browns

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I swear Brandon Williams better not pull off a houdini like last year's week 17. Of course, Baker and the receiving corp worry me, but that rushing attack with Chubb and co.?

RL52TheGreatest

Ravens Ring of Honor
I swear Brandon Williams better not pull off a houdini like last year's week 17. Of course, Baker and the receiving corp worry me, but that rushing attack with Chubb and co.?

They ran the ball fairly well against us in the first meeting IIRC. Definitely can't let Chubb get going or it's going to be real tough to stop them.

Actually, the last couple years it felt like Williams disappeared from around week 14 or 15 through the rest of the year. Hopefully the fact that he's been showing well in the past few weeks is a good sign that will continue this week.

We talk about the value of TOP in game - but how about the cumulative effect of that TOP? Honestly, it is like the defense got an extra bye week since week 11. I'm hoping that will allow the defense to come into this game and once again play like a hungry pack of wolves.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
They ran the ball fairly well against us in the first meeting IIRC. Definitely can't let Chubb get going or it's going to be real tough to stop them.
Their leading rusher was Hyde who ran for 63 yds on 17 carries. As a team, they rushed for 112 yards.

Actually, the last couple years it felt like Williams disappeared from around week 14 or 15 through the rest of the year. Hopefully the fact that he's been showing well in the past few weeks is a good sign that will continue this week.

We talk about the value of TOP in game - but how about the cumulative effect of that TOP? Honestly, it is like the defense got an extra bye week since week 11. I'm hoping that will allow the defense to come into this game and once again play like a hungry pack of wolves.
Yeah the TOP we've accumulated has really helped our defense out for sure. Not only do I want they come out and play guns-a-blazin, but play disciplined too (looking at YOU Judon).

Looking at the various advantages and disadvantages:

Advantages: Home game, Our rushing offense v their rushing D, Our D scheme, lack of weakness and freshness
Disadvantages: Pressure (and Cleveland's ability to play with nothing to lose), turnover margin, offensive balance

Our focus based on what we have on the line can translate to greater pressure and the fact that the Browns can play loose is a concern. The biggest disadvantage we have to neutralize is the turnover margin. Our D has gotten a few recently, but forcing turnovers is a key strength for the Browns D.

People say Lamar has to improve his accuracy and reliability in the pass game. While that may be true in the long run, the short term the #1 issue to address is botching the RPO exchange. These are unforced errors and the best case scenario is a significant loss of yardage and the worst case is a game changing turnover. I just really believe that if we manage that part of the game, we'll survive this. If we don't, then our season will be in jeopardy.

JAAM

Hall of Famer
Glad to not have to face Ward, but of course I never want to see anyone injured, especially not head injuries.

I've not seen much of the Browns, but what I did see of him, he was all over the place and was a real ball hawk.
He's a phenomenal rookie and we're fortunate he's out. Hope he gets well soon.

Ravensnation5220

Ravens Ring of Honor
I hate big games like this.....its basically win or go home. Browns are playing with nothing to lose and were playing with everything to lose. Its got me seriously nervous. I really hope this game isnt even close.

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
I hate big games like this.....its basically win or go home. Browns are playing with nothing to lose and were playing with everything to lose. Its got me seriously nervous. I really hope this game isnt even close.
Preferably in the first half or the beginning of the 3rd Q. Knowing this team, it's going to be a nail biter and I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT!

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Looking at the various advantages and disadvantages:

Advantages: Home game, Our rushing offense v their rushing D, Our D scheme, lack of weakness and freshness
Disadvantages: Pressure (and Cleveland's ability to play with nothing to lose), turnover margin, offensive balance

Our focus based on what we have on the line can translate to greater pressure and the fact that the Browns can play loose is a concern. The biggest disadvantage we have to neutralize is the turnover margin. Our D has gotten a few recently, but forcing turnovers is a key strength for the Browns D.

People say Lamar has to improve his accuracy and reliability in the pass game. While that may be true in the long run, the short term the #1 issue to address is botching the RPO exchange. These are unforced errors and the best case scenario is a significant loss of yardage and the worst case is a game changing turnover. I just really believe that if we manage that part of the game, we'll survive this. If we don't, then our season will be in jeopardy.
I could be the only one here, but a botched mesh point in the RPO is something I feel should fall on the RB, the RB has a responsibility to stay loose on the ball until the QBs hands are gone, the qb is the one making the read, he determines where the play goes, the back is already locked in on a gap at the mesh point while the qb is scanning a portion of the field where he has multiple paths.

This also only happens with gus, it hasn’t happened with Collins or Dixon or Buck since lamar became the starter, this very well could be a case of gus clamping down too early and trying to secure the ball while lamar is trying to pull back.

Edgar

Ravens Ring of Honor
Im beginning to watch the week five matchup vs. Browns. Some things jump out in the first few drives:
1) They were very successful running the ball early (The Browns)
2) Michael Pierce was inactive

Dom McRaven

Hall of Famer
Im beginning to watch the week five matchup vs. Browns. Some things jump out in the first few drives:
1) They were very successful running the ball early (The Browns)
2) Michael Pierce was inactive
I'm assuming Pierce is active for this game, correct?

Tank

Hall of Famer
Per Zrebiec:

"All 53 players on practice field for Ravens as they prepare for Sunday’s game against Browns. Terrell Suggs (hamstring) didn’t practice last two days but he was out there today."

Is that the first time that's happened all year?
No resting vets tired old bones or giving a day off to take care of personal business. It’s all hands on deck for this baby, basically a play in game.