• Welcome to PurpleFlock! Be sure to sign up here so that you can chat with your fellow Ravens fans.

Game Ball Thread @ Chargers

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
I think I’d prefer just giving him a deal and not even making a thing of it, although if he could get us a 2nd that makes it really hard to turn it down. When it comes to a mostly 2 down DT like pierce, I’m not too keen on spending big money, because we still lack in the sexier positions like edge rusher and safety, and those guys cost big money and we can find some if we have the space, and we still need a DT who can get to the QB. But losing pierce would really hurt this defense. It’s such a catch 22 situation.
I belives we cut BWill at the end if 2019, because it makes absolutely no sense to do so this offseason due to the cap. In 2020 we will extend Pierce, because there is no way he is getting away.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I think I’d prefer just giving him a deal and not even making a thing of it, although if he could get us a 2nd that makes it really hard to turn it down. When it comes to a mostly 2 down DT like pierce, I’m not too keen on spending big money, because we still lack in the sexier positions like edge rusher and safety, and those guys cost big money and we can find some if we have the space, and we still need a DT who can get to the QB. But losing pierce would really hurt this defense. It’s such a catch 22 situation.

Watch edgar’s pierce video he did recently on his YouTube channel - I think you’ll feel differently about pierce

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
I belives we cut BWill at the end if 2019, because it makes absolutely no sense to do so this offseason due to the cap. In 2020 we will extend Pierce, because there is no way he is getting away.
I’d only cut Williams if we felt we needed his roster spot moreso than clearing cap. Unless he’s a waste of a roster spot, there’s no need to shed him yet and maybe a team comes calling asking about acquiring him? I agree with you that Williams will be here until ‘19. It should be noted that we can still shed Williams for cap if it’s for the purpose of making him a June 1st because that could be used for rookie salaries or injury cap cushion.

Watch edgar’s pierce video he did recently on his YouTube channel - I think you’ll feel differently about pierce
I don’t have time to watch right now but what did he say?

rossihunter2

Staff Member
I’d only cut Williams if we felt we needed his roster spot moreso than clearing cap. Unless he’s a waste of a roster spot, there’s no need to shed him yet and maybe a team comes calling asking about acquiring him? I agree with you that Williams will be here until ‘19. It should be noted that we can still shed Williams for cap if it’s for the purpose of making him a June 1st because that could be used for rookie salaries or injury cap cushion.

it's a film review thing - it's more about what he shows you - which is straight up dominance vs double teams on a consistent basis - but it's much better to see the clips tbh

the short of it is that teams literally cant afford to not double-team pierce on a per-snap basis

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator

Yes, I'm aware we can take 7m this year and 7m next season, but I doubt it happens this season and that is why I didn't mention it.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
Yes, I'm aware we can take 7m this year and 7m next season, but I doubt it happens this season and that is why I didn't mention it.
Yeah I don’t see a reason unless it’s strictly because he doesn’t deserve to be in our DL and we want his roster spot because the other guys on the DL are just better and then he’s not worth the money. That’s how I can see he would be gone.

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Yeah I don’t see a reason unless it’s strictly because he doesn’t deserve to be in our DL and we want his roster spot because the other guys on the DL are just better and then he’s not worth the money. That’s how I can see he would be gone.

yeah that's fair - and it would be economically viable to cut him at that point it's true

but he's one of the top 5 DL on this ravens team which means unless we find 2 really great rookies next year or Sieler and Ricard become monsters in the offseason then he's not really gonna be a even marginally close to being a bubble guy

2020 offseason is when it happens if he's cut - and im still not sure that happens because cutting him at that point saves less than 5m but 14m cap hit for a DL who's maybe not even top 3 at the position on your roster is a lot (but we'd be getting CBA stuff at that point so maybe it's moot anyway)

more than 9m savings if he plays 2 more seasons and then gets cut...
we'll see

JoeyFlex5

Hall of Famer
Maybe you misunderstood lol I’m in no way advocating for getting rid of pierce, he’s been our most dominant front seven defender by a long shot.

I’m just saying that he’s due soon, and at this rate he’s gonna get PAID, and if we can get a second, and that cap space can go to a dominant edge rusher or a legitimate FS, then I wouldn’t be able to complain too much.

Grim

Ravens Ring of Honor
yeah that's fair - and it would be economically viable to cut him at that point it's true

but he's one of the top 5 DL on this ravens team which means unless we find 2 really great rookies next year or Sieler and Ricard become monsters in the offseason then he's not really gonna be a even marginally close to being a bubble guy

2020 offseason is when it happens if he's cut - and im still not sure that happens because cutting him at that point saves less than 5m but 14m cap hit for a DL who's maybe not even top 3 at the position on your roster is a lot (but we'd be getting CBA stuff at that point so maybe it's moot anyway)

more than 9m savings if he plays 2 more seasons and then gets cut...
we'll see
I ageee 100% I’m only laying out the arguments where he would be gone. Isn’t Urban also a free agent this year? If feel like he is and that could make it hard to move on since we’ll be down a DL. I think Williams will he addressed next year if he’s going to go and even then it could be another year because even if we extend Pierce you can structure it to mitigate Williams early on and cut Williams later or trade him

rossihunter2

Staff Member
Maybe you misunderstood lol I’m in no way advocating for getting rid of pierce, he’s been our most dominant front seven defender by a long shot.

I’m just saying that he’s due soon, and at this rate he’s gonna get PAID, and if we can get a second, and that cap space can go to a dominant edge rusher or a legitimate FS, then I wouldn’t be able to complain too much.

i meant in terms of considering him only a 2-down player
and if you watch the vid you'll understand what i mean - edgar offhandedly makes some astute comments about the difference between williams and pierce

RavensMania

Staff Member
Administrator
i meant in terms of considering him only a 2-down player
and if you watch the vid you'll understand what i mean - edgar offhandedly makes some astute comments about the difference between williams and pierce
yeah, he makes everyone better on the OL and the linebackers for that matter. Pierce is doubled on almost all snaps while BWil doesn't need to be doubled.